Will Sony keep the auto popping on PS5 or change it?

kfree7

With the auto popping with just loading a game, some think this cheapens trophies.

Someone told me that they are meaningless now.  

I wouldn't say meaningless, but I wonder if it will be "an exploit" that Sony will someday change.

What is your opinion of the auto popping from having played the PS4 version of a game?

Do you think this is permanent or will Sony change it at some point if people complain?

Will Sony think nothing about it at all?

Free

As soon as the free upgrades changes this will stop. And it will change. Also, there will be many games that can't afford to manage the development and management time of a server to support everyone's cross-saves. Because it's not managed by Sony, the developers have to support it.

• Like 1

Well, soon or later will be no more PS4 games or PS4 version of some PS5 games like Miles Morales, Sackboy, AC: Valhalla,...

That will fix the problem. I don't know if any future Remastered will have this functionality now that PS4 saves can be transferred.

Edited by derstra123
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, Draps-1337 said:

As soon as the free upgrades changes this will stop. And it will change. Also, there will be many games that can't afford to manage the development and management time of a server to support everyone's cross-saves. Because it's not managed by Sony, the developers have to support it.

This. GTAV discontinued the ability to transfer Xbox 360/PS3 saves to Xbox One/PS4. So no more autopops for that GTA game. I imagine this service will get brought back though but only from the now last gen to current gen PS5/Xbox Series and that will also be discontinued at some point.

3 hours ago, communistwookiee said:

Anyone who wants to can choose not to transfer a save and do everything from scratch. Anyone who wants to auto pop can. Anyone can choose not to judge anyone else for doing things the way they want to.

That's what I plan to do.

And as mentioned, the cross gen stuff won't last forever.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JiII-Valentine-- said:

Oh, cool. So my PS4 trophies for Rainbow Six: Siege will auto-pop on the PS5. I really didn't feel like getting the platinum for that game again anyway.

i know right, i put a ton of hours into rainbow six, i am glad it autopop for me on ps5

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, LoveInHell said:

I think there should be an option to choose from. “Would you like to: Autopop or earn the trophies again”. Then at least people get a choice. I would gladly platinum The Witcher 3 and Subnautica again, for example and would not prefer an autopop.

This is not a problem with single-player games... just... don't transfer your save.

4 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

And as mentioned, the cross gen stuff won't last forever.

It will last for a very long time, though. PS5 doesn't seem to be able to support shared lists like PS4 did with PS3 and Vita, so it will always have a separate list. And previous generation games will continue to roll out for at least two years, and that's a lot of games.

Edited by fbdbh

9 hours ago, NERVergoproxy said:

Autopooping will be a thing of the pass as we move more into PS5 era and out of the PS4 to PS5 era...

I of course realise that this is a spelling mistake, but this did give me a chuckle. Suffice to say, I prefer to manually control my poops than have them occur whenever they feel like.

• Like 4

It's gonna be odd in the future, looking to see how long a game takes to platinum using this site.

Oh just 1 second....

5 minutes ago, Forrest_01 said:

I of course realise that this is a spelling mistake, but this did give me a chuckle. Suffice to say, I prefer to manually control my poops than have them occur whenever they feel like.

Oh man I'd get a PS5 today if it supported auto pooping. Auto showering would also be nice, so much time in life is wasted on these trivial tasks. lol.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2020 at 4:26 AM, LoveInHell said:

I think there should be an option to choose from. “Would you like to: Autopop or earn the trophies again”. Then at least people get a choice. I would gladly platinum The Witcher 3 and Subnautica again, for example and would not prefer an autopop.

Interesting post.  Had not thought of that.  Thanks.  Appreciate each of the comments here.  It seems I can relate a bit to everyone.

• Like 1

I honestly don’t think Sony gives a rat’s ass about the integrity of the trophy system, or they would have done something a long time ago.

I do hope they clamp down on the auto-popping through. It doesn’t bother me at all if the occasional game has another version that can be auto-popped. There have been a handful of games with this feature available for years.

However, if this were to become a trend? If there ends up being dozens and dozens of PS4 games that can be auto-popped on the PS5, or this becomes the norm? I think it would just contribute to making trophy hunting even more of a joke than it is already.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I auto popped Sound Shapes when I first got into trophoes, and it did feel meaningless tbh. won't repeat it again. 

saying that, auto popping specific trophies does sound nice, for example if it's a collectible trophy or NG+ or whatever 

This is like a double edged sword.

Yes i personally think autopop's are bad but they are justified depending on the game like for example said earlier i could justify it if it was a mp only game. Or a game like marvel avengers. But something like spiderman needs to be replayed without an autopop thats how i did it otherwise it just feels like u cheapened out on a good game because u wanted to have that plat before you even started the game.

• Like 1