Disco Elysium: Final Cut

Abby_TheLastofUs

11 minutes ago, Abby_TheLastofUs said:

Coming to PS4 and PS5, March 2020.

detective.png?t=1606312997
Disco Elysium is a groundbreaking open world role playing game. You’re a detective with a unique skill system at your disposal and a whole city block to carve your path across. Interrogate unforgettable characters, crack murders or take bribes. Become a hero or an absolute disaster of a human being.

features.png?t=1606312997
Unprecedented freedom of choice. Intimidate, sweet-talk, resort to violence, write poetry, sing karaoke, dance like a beast or solve the meaning of life. Disco Elysium is the most faithful representation of desktop role playing ever attempted in video games.

Countless tools for role playing. Mix and match from 24 wildly different skills. Develop a personal style with 80 clothes items. Wield 14 tools from guns to flashlights to a boombox, or pour yourself a cocktail of 6 different psychoactive substances. Develop your character even further with 60 wild thoughts to think – with the detective's Thought Cabinet.

A revolutionary dialogue system with unforgettable characters. The world is alive with real people, not extras. Play them against each other, try to help them, or fall hopelessly in love. Disco Elysium's revolutionary dialogue system, with partially voiced characters, lets you do almost anything.

Carve your unique path across the city. Explore, manipulate, collect tare or become a millionaire in an open world unlike anything you've seen before. The city of Revachol is yours for the taking, one small piece at a time. From the streets to the beaches – and beyond.

Hard boiled, hard core. Death, sex, taxes and disco – nothing is off the table. Revachol is a real place with real challenges. Solve a massive murder investigation, or relax and kick back with sprawling side-cases. The detective decides, the citizens abide.

March 2021...

36 minutes ago, ScarecrowsFate said:

Haha, I fully expected Red Scare comments in any discussion of this game on PSNP. The game's exploration of the subject is actually highly nuanced, and not nearly as simple as "COMMUNISM ALWAYS GOOD!"

I didn't even mention the game, I'm talking about how the developers thanked Repin, Vladimir Mayakovsky, Viktor Tsoy, Marx and Engels in their awards acceptance speech. 

They also posted a picture of their studio and have a portrait of Stalin on the wall. So yeah, it's pretty clear what their political affiliation is.  

4 minutes ago, Doucet-182 said:

Aren't you active in every single censorship thread lmao?

And me deciding not to buy a game is related to this how exactly? They can believe whatever whacky ideas they want, it doesn't mean I have to support them.

10 hours ago, talespagni said:

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Yes, this sound lame, to say the least. These "caviar leftists" (as they say here in my country) think they are part of a revolution, when in truth they are just a pawn in a cultural war.

And this is coming from someone who, like you, indeed plans to buy the game, as it looks amazing and enjoyable.

Cheers.

The writer is Estonian and the politics of the game are heavily influenced by the legacy of the Soviet Union.

So I wouldn't be so quick to apply the political sensibilities of the West to the game's creators.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I still don't understand why people think that "nazi influence" is something shamefull, but "communist influence" is something fun.. Communists killed more people and that sick ideology existed far longer than 3rd Reich. I will pray that people like Darling Baphomet will someday fulfill their dream to live under the red star and that they will finally understood how much their actions/words hurt people like me, whose familly bleed becouse of communists.

• Like 1

What is this thread turning into lol. I can almost see the "but it wasn't true communism" memes coming.

Why are people focusing on the communist influence so much anyway? As far as I know, communism is like one of the paths you can take in some in-game conversations. Just google something like "Disco Elysium politics" and you'll find out that "Disco Elysium has a robust alignment system, tracking your cop's alignment across four ideologies of the world: Communism, fascism, moralism and ultraliberalism."

So you can be anywhere on the political compass and enjoy the depth of the dialogue in the game. In fact, many people I follow on Twitter praised this game, and not a single one of them shares communist ideas. Haven't heard any of them say that the developers used this game to push one ideology. 

I guess I'll understand if somebody wants to skip the game because they're allergic to communism to the point where they can't stand it even being mentioned. Like, if your grandparents died in a gulag camps or something. Otherwise, give this game a chance. It's very rare that I see a smaller game like this be praised this much.

edit: would be cool to hear the opinions of people who already played this game on PC here.

Edited by Alderriz
  • Like 4