Returnal (April 30, 2021)

Ghost

My most anticipated game by far (not counting a couple that don't even have a release date yet).

ย 

Game's up on the store now. That price though. I mean personally this looks way better than most of other 1st party games, so I'll be getting it,ย I just hope the price doesn't end up having a negative impact on the game.

ย 

Ril545N.png

• 2 weeks later...

ย 

In this episode of HouseCast, Harry Krueger, Game Director of Returnal, talks about the origins of Returnal.

We also discuss what kind of experience players can expect from Housemarque's most ambitious title yet

ย 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

"Uncover the process of translating the Housemarque explosive action into 3D and how to stay true to our motto "Gameplay First"

ย 

ย 

this game just looks so mediocre to me, absolutely nothing about it is appealing and they want full price, never going to happen, this is PS+/PSNow fodder, or a decent price for it would've been $40

Edited by EDGES
  • Like 1

Kinda worried about this - Housemarque is not known for making the longest, or most in depth, games - their hit games have been simple, aesthetically indulgent arcade games. On top of that, weren't they putting all their resources into a Battle Royale until recently? Unless they have a ridiculous amount of content (like, The Binding of Isaac ridiculous), I can't see it being worth 70$, and it doesn't seem like they've had the time to make a game that big. Most roguelikes end up being fairly repetitive games that are worth 15-20$ and not a penny more.

ย 

Could end up being a similar case to the Order 1776; great 10$ game, not so great 60$ game. Keep in mind this is all speculation from me, so if anyone can correct the record, go ahead.

Edited by Darling Baphomet
  • Like 1

just rent it if you want to try it day 1 but don't wanna spend too much. even if for completionists sake, you have to rent it again in the future to do dlc it still works out 50% cheaper renting.

ย 

in the us you got gamefly, and in the uk boomerang im sure there are others where you can get a decent deal from.

• 3 weeks later...

I think this looks fine, but there is a part of me that desperately wants itย to fail, as that seems like the only way Housemarque will go back to doing the games that they used to make, like Matterfall, Nex Machina, Dead Nation and Resogun, all of which were FANTASTIC games.

ย 

Any old studio can make a 3rd person shooter, but it seems only Housemarque can make the kind of games they used to make at the level they did.ย 

ย 

Yes, I know that wishing failure on a game is shitty.

ย 

I just miss real Housemarque :(ย 

1 hour ago, ShadowReplicant said:

ย 

I don't blame them. Imagine working on a game for years and then releasing it on a console nobody can get.

I see what you did there, well done. If nothing else that should serve as a giant "Lessons Learned" for the entire industry AND consumers. The game is finished when its finished.ย 

• Like 1

On 1/28/2021 at 9:31 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

Yes, I know that wishing failure on a game is shitty.

ย 

I just miss real Housemarque :(ย 

ย 

We probably ought to play Returnal before dismissing it, but I understand where you're coming from. The games you listed are indeed outstanding, although they apparently didn't sell. My hope is that Housemarque will eventually go back to creating some titles in that vein on occasion, at least.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

They actually got me at "Even in a moment of silence you can take in the atmosphere and feel like you are actually alone on an alien planet, with the soundscape created from the elements." I'm alone all April as my partner is away for six weeks. So I will darken the room completely and use my Pulse headphones to completely immerse myself. Looking forward to seeing if the experience lives up to the promise.

• Like 1