Grounded mode - sweet jesus and buddha...!

rockstarjazz

i was doing quite well on grounded but i got stuck at this section at 4:25:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCV4ivXi190

i got stuck for hours and at the end just had to resort to using the prone invisibility to get pass, otherwise i'd never pass it. i barely had enough bullets. and this is playing on a new game ++ with all my weapons maxed out from previous playthroughs!

i highly doubt players can pass grounded without enabling these. perhaps naughty dog didnt test the mode before rolling it out. they made it too difficult without those options.

it ruins the grounded playthrough for me to resort to these things but i get tired of wasting my time repeating the same environments over and over again.

i'm now stuck at 9:25:00 the hordes of enemies that swarm are insane. i try and do it quietly but the enemies are so sensitive, i could be tiptoeing behind the wall and they'd spot me!

i DREAD to think how the heck i am going to pass the dark room with Abby while Yara and Lev are outside!!

i thought i chronicle my adventures here. any input/tips will be welcomed. i try and only resort to invisible prone as a last resort if i just cannot find a way.

Edited by rockstarjazz
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Carol said:

I beat Grounded+ a few days ago without any accessibility options or cheats, so I can tell you it’s possible.

It was hard, it took me more than 30 hours and I had to repeat several sections many times, but I really wanted to do a pure Grounded run and I am glad I succeeded. There’s no way I would cheat my way through such a phenomenal game, that I waited years to be able to play.

You really have to be wise in saving your ammo and supplies for the situations that really need them. This game is more about escaping than fighting.

whats your advice for some parts of the game i anticipate will be a nightmare later - like the aforementioned dark room Abby is in while Yara and Lev are outside - that had clickers, runners and shamblers of all things!

resources are hard to find. I am trying to not use weapons at all, only if forced to fight.

and what about the rat king, how the heck do you pass that???????????????????????????

maybe its me getting old. i remember passing grounded on the first game quite well. but this is hard.

i am making some progress with grounded now, after discovering this guide by someone who completed it without cheats:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq2oORTzz0A

i havent used any cheats today as a result, switching them off. i'm now at 5:51:00 as a result (using the link in this post now)

i am still worried about the rat king boss fight and the dark room!

1 hour ago, rockstarjazz said:

i am still worried about the rat king boss fight and the dark room!

Basically you need to saved everything for those parts.

Spoiler

Stealth everything before the dark room. If you have to kill something, make it a stealth kill, except for the few parts where you can't. Loot everything. Then you'll have enough supplies to get through the dark room. Rat King same thing. Make sure you stealth the room with the bloater in the hotel that comes right before this. You can throw something to get it to leave the area around the door. Rat King will go down quickly if you've got enough supplies for it.

On 2020-12-12 at 0:59 AM, rockstarjazz said:

i'm now stuck at 9:25:00 the hordes of enemies that swarm are insane. i try and do it quietly but the enemies are so sensitive, i could be tiptoeing behind the wall and they'd spot me!

That part can be 100% stealthed! I was struggling with that part because i got caught everytime and you get a ton of enemies in several waves. Restart encounter and stealth kill everyone and you won't get any more waves. 

Just take your time and pay attention and you'll be good.

On 12/12/2020 at 1:30 AM, rockstarjazz said:

whats your advice for some parts of the game i anticipate will be a nightmare later - like the aforementioned dark room Abby is in while Yara and Lev are outside - that had clickers, runners and shamblers of all things!

resources are hard to find. I am trying to not use weapons at all, only if forced to fight.

and what about the rat king, how the heck do you pass that???????????????????????????

maybe its me getting old. i remember passing grounded on the first game quite well. but this is hard.

Sorry for late reply, although I don’t really have anything new to tell you.

I feel the original TLOU is a better stealth game than Part II. In the first game, it was so satisfying learning the best route to kill all the enemies in an area stealthily. In the sequel I didn’t find this possible. Larger areas, more enemies, that sometimes patrol together and have more unpredictable behaviors and the presence of dogs, that can smell you, make passing these human enemies sections rely more on creativity and luck. You just have to find a way to advance to your next objective, leaving the enemies there. Grounded was so satisfying to me in the first game and in the sequel not so much, unfortunately, and exactly because of this “problem”.

For the encounters that you mention, you should prepare yourself beforehand. Find as many resources as possible, so you can craft bombs and incendiary ammo.

It took me many tries to pass the dark room and the Rat King, although not as hard, also took many bombs to kill.

Good luck for your Grounded run! ?

• Like 1

On 12/11/2020 at 6:59 PM, rockstarjazz said:

i was doing quite well on grounded but i got stuck at this section at 4:25:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCV4ivXi190

i got stuck for hours and at the end just had to resort to using the prone invisibility to get pass, otherwise i'd never pass it. i barely had enough bullets. and this is playing on a new game ++ with all my weapons maxed out from previous playthroughs!

i highly doubt players can pass grounded without enabling these. perhaps naughty dog didnt test the mode before rolling it out. they made it too difficult without those options.

it ruins the grounded playthrough for me to resort to these things but i get tired of wasting my time repeating the same environments over and over again.

i DREAD to think how the heck i am going to pass the dark room with Abby while Yara and Lev are outside!!

i thought i chronicle my adventures here. any input/tips will be welcomed. i try and only resort to invisible prone as a last resort if i just cannot find a way.

oh yeah i almost gave up at that school part... no ammo or ability to craft things... found the invisible while prone cheese and blew through the rest of the campaign where possible and don't feel bad about it... the dark room i killed everything up to when the bloaters ran in and just went in circles and didnt kill them and was able to progress... and for the big ugly boss in the hospital i had tons of ammo saved up for that... rinsed it with the flamethrower... some parts are tricky but doable... all hail the invisible cheese method

I can tell you for a fact that it's possible, I beat Grounded on a fresh save with no cheats. It took a while, but I enjoyed the hell out of it. As long as you go through most sections stealthily and explore every nook and cranny, it shouldn't give you too much of a headache. That said, the AI is INSANE, like they can spot you so easily, and it doesn't help that you don't have those sound cues that alert you when an enemy is noticing you. Still tons of fun though, maybe even more fun than a normal difficulty playthrough.

• Like 1

i'm stuck in that dark room and it really pisses me off!

there should be a checkpoint when the shamblers start to come in.

i am wasting my health packs, hunting gun ammo for the clickers and pipe bombs against the shamblers.

is there a time limit as to how long lev and yara open the damn door??

edit: fk me, just when i HAD it, the game fucking crashed!!!!!!

Edited by rockstarjazz

4 hours ago, rockstarjazz said:

i'm stuck in that dark room and it really pisses me off!

there should be a checkpoint when the shamblers start to come in.

i am wasting my health packs, hunting gun ammo for the clickers and pipe bombs against the shamblers.

is there a time limit as to how long lev and yara open the damn door??

edit: fk me, just when i HAD it, the game fucking crashed!!!!!!

There is no time limit, i tried runiing around for minutes and nothing happened. I think you need to kill a certain amount of enemies. I did it the same way as you, hunting gun for clickers, melee for normal infected and bombs/shotgun for shamblers

44 minutes ago, rockstarjazz said:

this game has an addicting nature about it. this is my 4th playthrough.

i hope the grounded trophy unlocks for me as i am playing this on new game+ ?

For me it was the exact opposite lol. I was thrilled to discover the glitch for Grounded mode in this game because the thought of having to slog through this a 3rd time was soul crushing.

Gotta say kudos to you for doing this legit though. I think very few people have with the glitch being discovered. Grounded in TLoU games is really underrated in how difficult it can be at spots though, I barely survived a couple sections in the first game and I think Part 2 has a handful of mobs that are twice as hard.

The only consolation is that the frequency of pills and upgrade parts are the same across all difficulties. In the first one, you are forced to go through most of the game with your fists and like 3 revolver bullets if you’re lucky, and most upgrade materials are locked behind shiv doors, which you never have enough resources to make lol.

Btw the trophy will unlock on NG+ no problem. Good luck with the rest of your playthrough!

Edited by dieselmanchild

i have completed it! hurray!

the rat king was surprisingly easy because i had lots of bombs and fire.

the resort at the end was tough - i learned a trick that if you let the clickers loose, they'd help you clean out inside. then upstairs i used my smoke bombs that i never used up until then, on my last ounce of health left.

it was a fun journey and i enjoyed the story again watching cutscenes too. loved it.

i might enjoy this game one more time over the christmas holiday, take a break then proceed to my next game, which i think will be resident evil 2.

Edited by rockstarjazz
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

loved this game very much that i just completed grounded again just now!

took a weeks break from playing, then decided i'd give it another go and enjoyed it immensely. grounded is much easier when playing it through again as i know the tricks to use for the difficult stealth spots and fights. no cheats used.

Edited by rockstarjazz
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, rockstarjazz said:

loved this game very much that i just completed grounded again just now!

took a weeks break from playing, then decided i'd give it another go and enjoyed it immensely. grounded is much easier when playing it through again as i know the tricks to use for the difficult stealth spots and fights. no cheats used.

nice gj, I plan to tackle it at some point after doing the first one.

I'm playing it right now on grounded on my first playthrough whilst trying to get all collectibles and my god, the difficulty is harder than a hard on. It took less than 2 seconds before WFL soldiers spots me, even if I'm really far from them.

Infected are not really a problem, they are predictable. Human enemies on the other hard are a real pain in the ass. I'm not stuck on anything(not yet) but damn I'm thinking about switching into new game on normal mode but I already spent nearly 7 hours trying to figure out how to deal with enemies easier.

So glad to see people talking and enjoying this masterpiece for what it is.

Last of Us part II is one of those games that may be divisive but there’s no denying how masterfully crafted it is, my GOTY and deserved sequel for one of my favourite games of all time. 

As for grounded, had tons of fun when I did it, all the tips provided were great, last of us is not uncharted, save your bullets, plan your course of actions beforehand and you’ll succeed. 

By the way Naughty release a new version for the PS5 with a new trophy list and make grounded a requirement for the plat please, 4K ray tracing 60fps while you’re at it please. ❤️

On 12/12/2020 at 1:37 AM, Carol said:

I beat Grounded+ a few days ago without any accessibility options or cheats, so I can tell you it’s possible.

It was hard, it took me more than 30 hours and I had to repeat several sections many times, but I really wanted to do a pure Grounded run and I am glad I succeeded. There’s no way I would cheat my way through such a phenomenal game, that I waited years to be able to play.

You really have to be wise in saving your ammo and supplies for the situations that really need them. This game is more about escaping than fighting.

Awesome (Y)

• Like 1

On 26/12/2020 at 2:15 PM, TwilightSpira said:

By the way Naughty release a new version for the PS5 with a new trophy list and make grounded a requirement for the plat please, 4K ray tracing 60fps while you’re at it please. 2764.png

i did a quick google search and cannot find any proof or mention of this - can you provide a link please?

i'm not planning on getting ps5 for a good few years yet as i feel i am not even halfway through the meat with my ps4 enjoyment, but if i am able to do all the game trophies again on the ps5 i'll definitely shortlist this game for that console, alongside RE8 and ragnorok.

meanwhile, after taking a break from playing (which is what i always do between games, calling it a detox to catch up on life), my next game will now be RE2 remake. hope that game is as good as this!

Edited by rockstarjazz

25 minutes ago, rockstarjazz said:

i did a quick google search and cannot find any proof or mention of this - can you provide a link please?

i'm not planning on getting ps5 for a good few years yet as i feel i am not even halfway through the meat with my ps4 enjoyment, but if i am able to do all the game trophies again on the ps5 i'll definitely shortlist this game for that console, alongside RE8 and ragnorok.

meanwhile, after taking a break from playing (which is what i always do between games, calling it a detox to catch up on life), my next game will now be RE2 remake. hope that game is as good as this!

He's wishing for it, hoping they will.

On 2020-12-30 at 6:43 PM, rockstarjazz said:

yeah like @Quink666 mentioned, I was wishing for it. This masterpiece deserves the power of the PS5 

• Like 1