Free PS5 upgrade - how long is this offer good for?

Pirelli913

As the title implies, if you buy Cyberpunk 2077 on PS4 (digital or physical) you can upgrade to PS5 free of charge.

Is there a time frame to acquire the upgrade? Like is it a one year warranty, meaning you have to buy a PS5 within a year to get the upgrade?

Or is there no time frame and you can buy a PS5 in 5+ years and still claim the free upgrade?

30 minutes ago, lucky0ne16 said:

so disk versions cant get upgrade

PS4 disc versions can be upgraded. HOWEVER, the upgrade on PS5 is digital, meaning you can't send in for a voucher and have them ship you a PS5 disc version.

PS4 digital = PS5 digital upgrade

PS4 disc = PS5 digital upgrade

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, lucky0ne16 said:

They can, literally all my PS5 plats so far [excluding Astro for obvious reasons] are from buying the PS4 disc version and doing the upgrade. The only difference is you have to have the disc inserted to play the PS5 version. It's basically like buying the PS5 version physically in that regard. Only you get PS4 too.

Edited by Elvick_
  • Like 2

There's no expiration date.

Based on that, we know that these upgrades will work until they stop working.

That doesn't mean the function will be available for all eternity (likely the PS5 service won't be available literally forever either).

Hopefully that answers the question.

On 12/13/2020 at 1:17 AM, lucky0ne16 said:

Of course they can. You just need to keep the PS4 disc inserted when you play the PS5 version. The disc will essentially act as your license key for the game.

Edited by Railshock

6 minutes ago, kaptainmyke said:

I never saw anywhere I could upgrade to PS5 version.  I have the disc version and have been playing it as a ps4 game on my PS5 right now

the PS5 version is not out yet. Probably somewhere in 2021, I suspect Summer.

It's highly unlikely there is any expiration date for the PS4 to PS5 upgrades on any of the games that offer it. There is no expiration date printed on any of the offers yet and as far as the PSN store is concerned, having the disc license by inserting the disc or the digital license by purchasing the digital will just be tied to the PS5 version.

• Like 1

these Next-Gen Upgrades already existed on Cross-Gen titles in the Last-Gen. AFAIK you can still upgrade certain PS3 games to their PS4 counterpart nowadays. So you probably don't need to be afraid of this offer expiring anytime soon.

BTW they are also working on a Next-Gen Upgrade for Witcher 3 and afaik this will also be free for owners of the PS4 versions.

15 minutes ago, ThalifmUS said:

For example, if I am mid game on PS4, get the PS5 upgrade, will the trophy list carry as well?

Will I have 2 trophy lists for PS4 and for PS5? if so, when I pop a trophy on the PS5 list will that pop on the PS4 as well?

If they will support save transfer than yes, your trophies will probably auto-pop. But if they won't do that, than we will have to play from the beginning. 

Just now, Patrickosan said:

If they will support save transfer than yes, your trophies will probably auto-pop. But if they won't do that, than we will have to play from the beginning. 

They did say that we would be able to transfer our save files cross generation, I was wondering if the trophies would follow. Good to know.

I sure hope they keep honoring this upgrade deal.

With all this last gen version backlash the game's price might just drop before or around the time they release the PS5 version.

Would increase the odds of my broke ass playing this sooner rather than later.

One way or the other, I hope the CDPR execs are happy with their year-end bonus checks, 'cause their revenue on console is bound take a hit after their little stunt.