Your Most Tedious Platinums

Yuber6969

Until Dawn-Actually discovered this site looking for a walkthrough for this game. I made the mistake of playing completely blind on my first playthrough, which means I had to replay the game entirely far too many times for all the trophies, and even messed some of them up at the last second without knowing and had to replay far too many parts again. It’s a good-not great, IMO, but good, game the first time. But by the third or fourth or fifth (can’t even remember how many runs I did) playthrough, I was sick of it. 

Paper Beast-Lovely game, very unique and creative. However, I would like to hit whoever thought the “Walkman” trophy was a good idea with a clue bat. It’s the single most ridiculous trophy I’ve completed to date-made worse by the fact you can screw yourself out of getting it towards the end, and I did the first time. Basically you have to drag and push a tape player to the end of a level. The controls are awkward and it takes roughly 45 minutes. Dragging it behind you is much easier than pushing it though-but there’s a ledge towards the end of the level-if you don’t push the tape player down before you go down the ledge, you can’t go back up and you have another 45 minutes of tedious BS ahead of you again. One of those trophies that made me question why I decided trophy hunting was a good idea in the first place. 

Tera-It’s an MMO, so tediousness is to be expected. But camping for hours for bosses that die in one hit (or worse, camping for bosses for hours that take a thousand hits to die) is no fun. Spawn timers for bosses don’t make any sense in a FTP MMO anyway IMO (yes, I know Tera wasn’t always FTP, but it was converted to one long before it came to PS4) since there’s nothing you can buy in the store to force them to immediately respawn.

Honorable mentions to two non-platinum games: Journey (which I loved and plan to 100% again on the PS4 someday despite the tediousness) for the trophies dependent on getting other players to cooperate with no chat system and Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Future Tone (which I did not love and plan to never touch again) for the trophies requiring you to not only play every song, but clear them all, with no simple way of sorting which songs haven’t been cleared yet, and also watch and take photographs of 78 “music videos.” At least I discovered I hate rhythm games dependent solely on button-mashing a regular controller as fast as possible, so marked a few similar rhythm games off my wishlist. 

Edited by TimeLordCrow13y
  • Like 1

Red Faction Guerrilla (PS3) - 250 ranked wins. Hands down the most tedious grind I've done up to this point. We weren't lucky enough to have 3 people with 2 consoles each so we ended up needing to get the 250 wins for the other team as well (I'm sure it would be much faster if it was only 3 people going for the trophy as all of the alts could be put on the losing team). The reason it was tedious was because not only did we need to play close to 500 ranked matches for everyone to get the trophy, but it mainly consisted of starting up a match and then the losing team quits out after 10 seconds. Rinse and repeat (yes, it was as bad as it sounds). In the end, we probably spent 60-70+ hours including load times, disconnects, and waiting by the time it was all said and done. Makes sense why they removed this trophy for the PS4 remaster... 

• Like 1

AFRIKA

Don't get me wrong; I actually did enjoy AFRIKA.  I thought it was quite a refreshing game to play, and a nice change of pace from the typical action-adevnture games I would normally play.  But every single mission was the same - go here, photograph this animal, come back to base.  And if your photos were not of a good enough quality, then you had to go back out, find the animal again, and photograph it again.  Also, if the animal was downwind of you and caught your scent, it would either run off or (in the case of predators) attack you, which resulted in you waking up at your camp and having to go back AGAIN.

GTA IV

The ridiculous grind to Rank 10 online.  Reaching Rank 10 doesn't sound that bad at all, until you grind out 2.5 million XP to reach Rank 9 and then realise that you're only halfway there.

I would grind the NOOSE mission for hours and hours, until I finally got sick of it and started using the Happiness Island exploit with a mate.

Also, the 100% story completion is enough of a grind when done once.  Having to do it TWICE, due to 1 goddamn pigeon that simply refused to spawn, just killed the game for me.  I haven't touched the game in years, and probably never will again.

TWISTED METAL

I enjoyed this game, as I'm a longtime TM fan.  But, having to grind out the four notoriously glitched MP trophies (A la Mode, Another Level, Any Car Will do, and Point, Shoot, Kill) because they kept glitching on me was the antithesis of enjoyment.

TOMB RAIDER (PS3)

I played Tomb Raider's multiplayer straight off the bat when the game released in 2013, before the Shopaholic trophy was patched.  Nowadays, you only need to reach level 60 (i.e. prestige once) to unlock every character and get the trophy.  Pre-patch, I had to do it four times over, as you basically had to reach rank 238 to unlock the final character, the General.

It took me a long time to finally play the game's story mode, because that grind put me off playing the game for a long while.

MAFIA II

Not part of the platinum, but that DLC trophy for driving 1,000 miles....

Oh, God....

• Like 1

Not sure which is the worst, but the top 3 would be:

Space Overlords (Grind-Poop: The Game!)

Sniper: Ghost Warrior (Singleplayer Mediocrity, with added Sisyphean Multiplayer hellishness!)

Jedi: Fallen Order (Collectible-a-mundo... 100% Fun Free!)

Aerea/Warhammer: Chaosbane

Both games showed what they have to offer after one playthrough and then demand 3 more playthroughs with other characters plus extra grinding for things like better weapons (Warhammer) and currency (Aerea).

Override 2: Super Mech League

The game is fun for a round or two in singleplayer or splitscreen, but not for the amount of grind that it demands for the platinum. There are 7 leagues (with minimal different conditions to win) and you must reach rang A in 5 leagues and rang S in one for trophies. And then there is the Club, in which you must fight 1000 matches or win 500 in 7 days (because then the game resets your progress to 0.

Deponia Doomsday

A fun Point and Click Adventure but then there is the 1001 Jackalopes trophy. You have 3 different creatures with 4 parts each and you must find all possible combinations(82 according to a youtube video). And every combination came with the same (skipable) dialogue and animation (not skipable).

Castlevania Advance Collection

More precise the collect all the souls trophy in Aria of Sorrow. There are 110 souls in the game and they all have abysmal droprates (from 4,5% to 0,27%).

Bullet Girls Phantasia

14 characters, that all must reach level 99 and collectibles, that drop only from specific enemies in specific levels on specific difficulties with a droprate that is full RNG (532 materials and over 50 different bras and 50 different panties)..

• Like 1

Stories: the path of destiny was my worst. The game has an interesting premise but getting all potential endings was one dull grind.

I have to mention Spellspire too. This is one of those obnoxious games that requires you to grind and grind to get that last trophy ages after you’ve earned all other trophies.