Completionist playthrough time

I finished my first run of the game, on normal, getting everything but some bonding-related character notes. And I took 180 FUCKING HOURS.

I want to know what's the average time for a completionist playthrough to know if my 180-hour run is way above average.

(for comparison, I completed the two runs on Cold Steel 3 on 195 hours)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DesmaBR said:

My save before the final battle counts 130 hours, and did everything in one play through except 2 romance scenes.

So gonna guess you're gonna exceed the 200 hours mark

I'll probably gonna hit it before the prologue ends on ng+ ?

But I guess the fact that the clock doesn't stop when you're press the option button really inflated that mark.

Just now, FinalFrank15 said:

I'll probably gonna hit it before the prologue ends on ng+ 1f602.png

But I guess the fact that the clock doesn't stop when you're press the option button really inflated that mark.

My guy, start skipping the cutscenes and have the game set at 2x at all times.

23 minutes ago, FinalFrank15 said:

(for comparison, I completed the two runs on Cold Steel 3 on 195 hours)

I actually got kinda intimidated by this thread. But I have completed two runs of CS3 in 77:25 on easy and 85:41 total playtime. I guess I will be fine.

23 minutes ago, Akrioz said:

I actually got kinda intimidated by this thread. But I have completed two runs of CS3 in 77:25 on easy and 85:41 total playtime. I guess I will be fine.

I'm not very fond of speedrunning an jrpg, even if it's a subsequent playthrough (only if there's a speedrun trophy). 

(but i guess this time i don't have much choice, it's that or 300+ hours total playtime) ?

This is the longest Cold Steel game on record, so I don't think it's unusual for your first playthrough of this game to just slightly exceed over 100 hrs, if your taking your time to talk to every NPC in the game and/or maybe doing some sepith mass farming. Tho, 180 hrs does seem a bit too long for a first playthrough. For comparison, my two playthroughs for full completion pretty much equal your first at ~180 hrs. Cold Steel 3 was about 160 in total and that's not taking into account idle/break time. 

Edited by Whitelightnin683

7 minutes ago, Whitelightnin683 said:

This is the longest Cold Steel game on record, so I don't think it's unusual for your first playthrough of this game to just slightly exceed over 100 hrs, if your taking your time to talk to every NPC in the game and/or maybe doing some sepith farming. Tho, 180 hrs does seem a bit too long for a first playthrough. For comparison, my two playthroughs for full completion pretty much equal your first at ~180 hrs. Cold Steel 3 was about 160 in total and that's not taking into account idle/break time.

I think that's the deal breaker. The times i went to the shower and the clock running, the times i went to have lunch/dinner and the clock running, the times i had to do some house chore and the clock running. I could cut 20~25 hours because of that and it's still a lot a time.

Oh well, the important thing is that it was worth every second.

My first playthrough clocked in just under 100 hours, although by the end of Act 2 I had gotten aggravated by talking to every single NPC and started missing a few things because of that.  Which wasn't a problem to me, because I had missed a few things before then by accident -- such as scanning a few bosses because I happened to one-shot them at the start of battle with the Hades Gem -- and was going to use a guide for my Nightmare run to make sure I picked everything else up.

I ran most of the Nightmare run with 2x speed and skipping scenes that I had already viewed the first time around and that weren't worth viewing again (in my opinion).  I finished that up yesterday afternoon with the overall timer up around 130 hours.  Nightmare with inherited levels and inherited everything-else really isn't that difficult, and the final series of Divine Knight battles were pushovers once I realized that an additional tier of EX Orbs existed and I crafted those.

Mine was about 70 hours and I got all the trophies except some bonding trophies, the nightmare run and battle notes.  The battle notes I missed were some trial chests and one enemy in Avon Hills I actually missed encountering. 

Though to be fair, I played on very easy and have the plat for the Japanese version.  Rather than use a guide I just copied and pasted lists of all the stuff to get and when/where it can be obtained and checked it off as I went.  For treasure I just got a moon lens as quickly as possible to make it easier to find the chests.

• 3 weeks later...

Almost platinumed the game (will leave the platinum as my trophy #16000), in 231 hours. I guess it was... not bad?

Well, comparing the proportion of the first and total runs in each of the four games:

CS: 73:36 / 121:09 (39.67%)

CS2: 90:29 / 156:36 (42.30%)

CS3: 124:47 / 197:11 (37.05%)

CS4: 180:10 / 231:29 (22.08%)

The time spent on the second run of this game was only 22.08% of the total time, so not bad :)

Edited by FinalFrank15