A few tips for people who are new to the series

After enjoying the gameplay and after doing a ton of grinding, I'm almost finished. I only need an S rank for the Quiet Exit Mission, I need to collect a couple of animals and then.... finish all the tasks for 9 missions.

Here are some tips for newcomers:

If you're new to MGS, play Ground Zeroes first. I was overwhelmed by the game, but I got quite familiar with the mechanics after playing Ground Zeroes for 10-20 hours to get 100%.

Listen to podcasts while going for side ops. Side ops the most boring aspect of the game mission-wise, so please, do yourself a favor and do something enjoyable while grinding. Also, note that the game spawns some old side ops even after you've finished them. You should always check the missions menu to see whether you've actually finished the side ops or not. I think I wasted at least 5 hours, because I repeated a ton of side ops I had already completed.

Don't do an S rank run. Go for the tasks on your second playthrough. You'll easily get an S rank for most missions if you get most of the mission tasks done. When you're having trouble getting an S rank or completing a mission task, look it up on YouTube. There's a lot of great guides by PowerPyx and Malice.... I don't remember the account name entirely. 

If you don't get the animal collector trophy after seeing all animals captured, it's because you've tranquilized some of them and not extracted them. Some people tell to look at emblems to see which ones you're missing, but the emblems sometimes glitch, but luckily, they're not required for the trophy. To see whether you've captured a particular animal, go to database, encyclopedia and look whether there's a question mark in the place of a picture of the animal: captured animals have both their names and pictures visible whereas not captured ones have neither visible or just the name. Both the name and the picture need to be visible for the game to register an animal as captured. 

I've put around 144 hours in according to the records screen, and I've still got things to do.

Enjoy the game!

Edited by P3hmo6
  • Like 2

Also don't make a nuke too early on unless you immediately dispose of it. I didn't even know people could steal your nukes until someone stole mine a couple of hours after making it.. and for some reason it put my nuke on my lowest level fob.. lol

• Like 1