Dual Shock 3, any good alternatives?

the1andonly654

So there are some PS3 games I'd still love to play, and my Dual Shock 3 is broken. Buying an original one is almost an impossibility now, and the counterfeit ones are basically crap. I know I can use the PS4 controller for some games, but not all games. And the lists of compatible games I've found are unreliable with Tekken Tag 2 not recognizing diagonal inputs or the inability to dodge in Bayonetta, even though the list says they're compatible. Anyway, anyone with personal experience has a recommendation for an alternative controller? It has to work with all games, has to have proper analog sticks (not "almost digital" like the counterfeit DS3 controllers), PlayStation button should work. Other than that, I don't care about build quality, vibration, etc. Natec Genesis P65 seems ok, but all the info I could find on it was from a PC perspective, so I have no idea if it works with all PS3 games, since even DS4 has issues there. 

13 minutes ago, the1andonly654 said:

So there are some PS3 games I'd still love to play, and my Dual Shock 3 is broken. Buying an original one is almost an impossibility now, and the counterfeit ones are basically crap. I know I can use the PS4 controller for some games, but not all games. And the lists of compatible games I've found are unreliable with Tekken Tag 2 not recognizing diagonal inputs or the inability to dodge in Bayonetta, even though the list says they're compatible. Anyway, anyone with personal experience has a recommendation for an alternative controller? It has to work with all games, has to have proper analog sticks (not "almost digital" like the counterfeit DS3 controllers), PlayStation button should work. Other than that, I don't care about build quality, vibration, etc. Natec Genesis P65 seems ok, but all the info I could find on it was from a PC perspective, so I have no idea if it works with all PS3 games, since even DS4 has issues there. 

What's wrong with your current one? It could be fixed depending on the issue. Random button inputs? Stick drift? Dead battery?

19 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

What's wrong with your current one? It could be fixed depending on the issue. Random button inputs? Stick drift? Dead battery?

It doesn't pair with the console at all, can't turn it on, it's pretty much dead. And before that happened, the left stick had some problems like not snapping back to neutral and not recognizing it's fully tilted at certain angles. So the best case scenario would be to try replacing the battery and even if that was the issue, it would need a new analog mechanism as well. Seems better to just get a new controller. If I can find one that's fully compatible with the PS3 that is. 

I use a HORI FPS+ for my PS3 now. It's wired, no vibration, but you can use it on PS3 and PS4. It's set up more like an XBox controller, but that is way more comfortable for me. It's not great for driving / racing games though because the triggers aren't analog. They usually go for $50 on Amazon.

https://www.gamingcontrollersforyou.com/reviews/hori-pad-fps-plus-review

Edited by Static_Rook

I was in the same spot as you. But looking for a used DS3 from reputable Japanese sellers on Ebay seems to filter out all the garbage fakes.

There are some in really good condition and the price is good. (at least at the time I looked for it, about half a year ago or maybe less)

I got mine that way.

Works great in great condition and good price.

Can't really recommend any aftermarket ones because the ones I have tried were just bad...

@melodicmizery DS4 doesn't work work in some games, including a few I want to play.

@SnowxSakura I was thinking about a used one, but I don't have a store selling used stuff nearby. And buying it online would most likely result in getting a counterfeit controller, given now popular they are here. 

@Static_Rook thanks, it looks quite good actually. Not a big fan of racing games so digital triggers are not a problem. I'll look some more but if I don't find anything better, I'll get this one I think. 

@SnizelPS didn't occur to me to look outside of Poland ☺️ if shipping doesn't make it cost twice as much it might be the best solution actually. I'll look into it, thanks! 

Edited by the1andonly654
Adding a response

I recently purchased an @play wireless PS3 controller from EB Games here in Australia, to my knowledge they're the equivalent of a GameStop in America. 

Although I've not had an excess amount of time using it yet what I have played (majority of God of War Ascension) the controller worked very well, much better than most of my deteriorated dual shock 3's.

I'll provide the link to the store I purchased from but would be worth checking if they sell locally for you to reduce cost. 

Product URL:

https://www.ebgames.com.au/product/ps3/242830-play-playstation-3-wireless-controller

4 minutes ago, ShahinMiah said:

You can buy a used DS3 that’s in near mint condition for about £10 from ebay. Bought mine from there a few years ago and still on brilliant condition 

The overwhelming majority of those are knockoff garbage controllers from the experiences of many people here. You were definitely lucky if you got a good one.

• Like 1

I've used a knockoff DS3 before and it was serviceable, apart from the sticks, which were terrible, so I definitely don't want to get into that boat. I'm gonna look around for a trusted seller on ebay and get a used one if I'm gonna be 100% sure it's genuine, and if not, I'm gonna go with the Hori one. At least I'll be able to use it with PS4 too. I've had a Hori arcade stick back in the day and it was great, so I'm not worried about the quality. Thanks for all the replies! 

• 7 months later...
On 16/12/2020 at 7:30 PM, Bennett316Spurs said:

Another vote  for Hori they are ace mine is the turbo 1. 

Blue Lake were utter rubbish. I purchased 3 and they all broke within a short amount of time. 

If u want reliability go Hori

Hori is good for fps 

But not cool with car race or games that use arrow weapn exaple last of us