Kuro no Kiseki (PS4 or PS5?) & Nayuta no Kiseki Kai (PS4)

A Discord friend got me into the Cold Steel series. I'm only to the first game right now (close to end of it and starting Cold Steel 2 though) but I'll admit that I've been enjoying it a lot more than I was expecting to. (while, at the same time, being frustrated occasionally but I've been told that CS1 is the hardest and the rest of the series is easy so I'm hoping that's true).

Unfortunately none of the other games have really interested me.

But feel free to try to change my mind I guess.

Edited by SelectiveGamer
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Kuro no Kiseki finally has a 60 FPS option as of update 1.10. It was kind of ridiculous that it was locked at 30 in the first place, but at least Falcom fixed the problem. I've heard that it doesn't run that well on PS4, though. I've only played Kuro no Kiseki on PS5, so I can't confirm that myself. There's also a demo available now (Japanese store only).

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/10/the-legend-of-heroes-kuro-no-kiseki-demo-version-1-10-update-now-available-in-japan

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

Jeezaloo. We're two games behind going on three. Kuro's sequel is announced well before Reverie gets localised. I guess we see Kuro in 2024 and Kuro 2 not until 2025 probably (unless something really serendipitous happens).

Is there a reason why these games are so slow to get localized? When most JRPG's nowadays get a release at the same time? I'm on Trails 3 right now and honestly it is one of the best series I have ever played :D

37 minutes ago, Johnathan994 said:

Is there a reason why these games are so slow to get localized? When most JRPG's nowadays get a release at the same time? I'm on Trails 3 right now and honestly it is one of the best series I have ever played :D

Falcom isn't going to throw around that kind of $$ to establish in-house or numerous localisation teams, since it likes to appease its shareholders before the fans first. Ergo the 2-titles/year release and how we seem to learn the most important of these announcements through shareholders meetings rather than a proper marketing announcement.

I've been watching a few things with these 'future titles' that are only out in Nippon; the small parts where they're cutting corners (U.I with NPC interaction for one example) and not pushing engine optimisation adequately gives me a little concern if there's cynicism building with the producers to meet the quota. And how this ripples to the sincerity of vision.

On 30/10/2021 at 3:50 PM, Cave Johnson said:

Kuro no Kiseki finally has a 60 FPS option as of update 1.10. It was kind of ridiculous that it was locked at 30 in the first place, but at least Falcom fixed the problem. I've heard that it doesn't run that well on PS4, though. I've only played Kuro no Kiseki on PS5, so I can't confirm that myself. There's also a demo available now (Japanese store only).

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/10/the-legend-of-heroes-kuro-no-kiseki-demo-version-1-10-update-now-available-in-japan

This is a bit concerning. This new engine is not even simulating a computational and graphical feature-set on par with other JRPGs that are using UE4 yet the optimisation is weak on PS4 in maintaining 60Hz. Kondo himself has admitted that the PlayStation market alone will not be enough to carry the series forward for financial expectations - which leads me to asking - If you're relying on PS5 to brute-force a locked-60, and PS4 is stuttering as low as 20Hz - where does that leave the Switch?

Edited by Eraezr
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Eraezr said:

Falcom isn't going to throw around that kind of $$ to establish in-house or numerous localisation teams, since it likes to appease its shareholders before the fans first. Ergo the 2-titles/year release and how we seem to learn the most important of these announcements through shareholders meetings rather than a proper marketing announcement.

I've been watching a few things with these 'future titles' that are only out in Nippon; the small parts where they're cutting corners (U.I with NPC interaction for one example) and not pushing engine optimisation adequately gives me a little concern if there's cynicism building with the producers to meet the quota. And how this ripples to the sincerity of vision.

This is a bit concerning. This new engine is not even simulating a computational and graphical feature-set on par with other JRPGs that are using UE4 yet the optimisation is weak on PS4 in maintaining 60Hz. Kondo himself has admitted that the PlayStation market alone will not be enough to carry the series forward for financial expectations - which leads me to asking - If you're relying on PS5 to brute-force a locked-60, and PS4 is stuttering as low as 20Hz - where does that leave the Switch?

Oh damn... I hope that means the quality of the games in the future doesn't drop because of that... 

the first 3 games have been a blast and I cannot wait to play Lloyd's story as well :D

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/17/2021 at 4:06 AM, Johnathan994 said:

I'm weeks late, but anyway, I've been following this series since Sky FC was the only game released in English, so I've heard all kinds of reasons why the localization is slow. How much of it is true, however, I can't really say. Money, as stated already, is certainly a factor. Falcom has been around forever, but their games have been slow to gain any sort of following in the west. Considering how poorly the initial release of FC went, and the disaster that was the localization process of SC, it's almost a miracle (pun not intended) that this series has come this far. Put more concisely, Falcom isn't reaching the same sales numbers as Tales or Persona. Another example would be that Falcom apparently makes a lot of last minute changes to their scripts, so whoever is responsible for translation doesn't even see the text until a game is nearly finished. It doesn't help that the amount of text far surpasses most games (I can't remember the exact comparisons).  

On 12/17/2021 at 4:31 AM, Eraezr said:

The Switch version will be lucky to get a consistent 30 FPS is my guess; I'm not really familiar with the hardware, though. Falcom hasn't been ahead of the game when it comes to graphics for decades, so I doubt their core fanbase will be that bothered. They'll have to step up if they want to appeal to newer audiences, however. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cave Johnson said:

I'm weeks late, but anyway, I've been following this series since Sky FC was the only game released in English, so I've heard all kinds of reasons why the localization is slow. How much of it is true, however, I can't really say. Money, as stated already, is certainly a factor. Falcom has been around forever, but their games have been slow to gain any sort of following in the west. Considering how poorly the initial release of FC went, and the disaster that was the localization process of SC, it's almost a miracle (pun not intended) that this series has come this far. Put more concisely, Falcom isn't reaching the same sales numbers as Tales or Persona. Another example would be that Falcom apparently makes a lot of last minute changes to their scripts, so whoever is responsible for translation doesn't even see the text until a game is nearly finished. It doesn't help that the amount of text far surpasses most games (I can't remember the exact comparisons).  

The financial aspect is a darn shame. I am on the 3rd game and the series is just so intricate and the story so gripping that I can hardly put the controller down. Don't even get me started on the characters. They do deserve more :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnathan994 said:

The financial aspect is a darn shame. I am on the 3rd game and the series is just so intricate and the story so gripping that I can hardly put the controller down. Don't even get me started on the characters. They do deserve more :D

There's an anime series for Kiseki that's coming this year, it's probably going to bring way more people into the fold. I'd be curious to see how sales of the older games fare after the series premieres because a whole lot more people are going to be aware of the game series.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

There's an anime series for Kiseki that's coming this year, it's probably going to bring way more people into the fold. I'd be curious to see how sales of the older games fare after the series premieres because a whole lot more people are going to be aware of the game series.

True! I hope they will share the same excitement I do when I know, that I have so many more brilliant games to go through :D

On 1/3/2022 at 10:59 PM, Cave Johnson said:

The Switch version will be lucky to get a consistent 30 FPS is my guess; I'm not really familiar with the hardware, though. Falcom hasn't been ahead of the game when it comes to graphics for decades, so I doubt their core fanbase will be that bothered. They'll have to step up if they want to appeal to newer audiences, however. 

It'll probably take serious cuts for Switch to hold 30 FPS, with it being greater than PS3 but less than base PS4. I've heard the performance on PS4 Pro is kind of shabby, but anyway it's PS5 that I'll want to play Kuro on. At least I should have a PS5 before NISA brings us Kuro.

I'll be curious to see what Durante and PH3 Games do with the PC port.

Edited by RadiantFlamberge
typo
  • Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 6:54 PM, RadiantFlamberge said:

It'll probably take serious cuts for Switch to hold 30 FPS, with it being greater than PS3 but less than base PS4. I've heard the performance on PS4 Pro is kind of shabby, but anyway it's PS5 that I'll want to play Kuro on. At least I should have a PS5 before NISA brings us Kuro.

I'll be curious to see what Durante and PH3 Games do with the PC port.

Lately I've seen how SMT V runs, and I'm not impressed. It's a different game and engine, but still, if an exclusive can't maintain a constant 30 FPS, I'm not sure what hope Kuro no Kiseki has. By the time Kuro comes out in English, there'll probably be a PS5 slim or something like that available, lol.   

Maybe a PS5 Pro? I wouldn't doubt it. Nvidia's RTX 4080 will definitely be out before Kuro (I wonder if Durante might attempt to add RTX features to the PC port).

As for Nintendo, I think it's time they give serious thought to making a Switch 2 that's compatible with the original, but able to run the old games with better performance and quality. Maybe then some of the existing Falcom Switch ports could get patches to run at 60.

• 1 month later...

Durante (remember DSFix?) gave some info on Reddit about Crossbell. PH3 Games is doing PC and Switch versions for Falcom games such as T.L.O.H. Trails from Zero. Nayuta on PC is to have ultrawide aspect ratio support.

There is now a release date for TFZ. 27 September! PS4, PC, and Switch. ?

• Like 3

12 hours ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

Durante (remember DSFix?) gave some info on Reddit about Crossbell. PH3 Games is doing PC and Switch versions for Falcom games such as T.L.O.H. Trails from Zero. Nayuta on PC is to have ultrawide aspect ratio support.

There is now a release date for TFZ. 27 September! PS4, PC, and Switch. 1f60e.png

I have become as excited for any news regarding this series as I am for Final Fantasy and Devil May Cry. 2 of my favorite franchises of all time! Cannot. Wait!