davestovies

Brutal absolutely sucks in this game

15 posts in this topic

Ready for the comments saying I suck and whatever but just needed somewhere to moan for a bit. For the record I've 100%'d Uncharted 1 and 3 and didn't have too much trouble outside of certain spots so I'm used to how the difficulty works but I really do think Uncharted 2's Brutal mode is an absolute joke. 

Just got up to Chapter 12 and I've already had more hassle with this game than I remember having with U1 and U3. The shootout section in the crashed train is an absolute pisstake and in my opinion is the best example of how these games weren't built for a mode like Brutal. You have to deal with enemies from three different sides of the area before they send out two juggernaut enemies with miniguns who can absolute destroy in seconds if you're in the wrong cover (which you can't move from until after the miniguns enemies have spawned since there's a short cutscene) which then sends you right back to the start of the entire gunfight, before the minigun guys have spawned.

All of the checkpoints up until this point were pretty fair when it came to gunfights so to be sent back to the first phase of a pretty difficult section after barely having a chance to adjust to phase 2 is an absolute fucking joke in my opinion. It seems to me like Naughty Dog didn't bother testing this mode and just figured it'd be cool to have an extra difficulty mode for the remaster since the checkpoints clearly aren't made for such an unforgiving difficulty. The on rails turret section at the end of Chapter 7 in Uncharted 1 is another good example of how Brutal doesn't work well in these games. Even using tweaks to help out hasn't made this mode any more enjoyable for me and it just seems like it was an afterthought including Brutal for the remasters.

Feel free to comment some tips or just your thoughts on Brutal. Just needed a place to vent for a bit but it would be cool to hear what other people think.

Edited by davestovies
Mispelling

From what I remember the only really problematic section across all 3 games on brutal was the final boss fight on UC1 on the boat.

About 75% of the time Drake would die before making it a few feet into cover as soon as the checkpoint began 😷

That being said it was my favourite boss fight across all 4 games. 

You're absolutely correct even though I think that brutal mode has been introduced by BluePoint and not by NaughtyDog. 

Clearly it has not been tested and as you've already mentioned the chapter on the train in U2 was a nightmare. There's also a video on youtube which laughs at this chapter in particular.  Uncharted 2 was the only game I had to beat without cheats and was by far the hardest one on brutal imho. Uncharted 1 also was terrible on this mode.

The thing I hate the most is when you have no choice but run and you die before reaching cover or when you're stuck on a certain checkpoints because you die even before controlling Drake.

Yeah Brutal is absolutely bonkers, I can deal with Crushing anytime, however Brutal is insane and you'll need luck in some of the fights.

Bluepoint gets praised a lot but what they did with brutal in these games is just very poor

I completed brutal on all 3 games and I will sacrifice my first born and eat my own toes before i do another brutal run through of any of the remastered uncharted games

Also fuck the entire train part in the brutal mode of uncharted 2 remastered

Brutal is an absolute pain in the ass. But with cheats after dying 50 times you eventually get to know where every enemy is and you can get through (thanks to one shot kills). Without that I wouldn't even have achieved to end the games on crushing difficulty... Keep working, you'll get through it!

On 1/10/2021 at 1:47 AM, MarcancooL said:

Brutal is an absolute pain in the ass. But with cheats after dying 50 times you eventually get to know where every enemy is and you can get through (thanks to one shot kills). Without that I wouldn't even have achieved to end the games on crushing difficulty... Keep working, you'll get through it!

What cheats? Aren't the tweaks disabled

From memory, Brutal sucks in them all. However, save points are a dime a dozen, so you can always make a little bit of progress.

If you have the disc version, you can enable tweaks if you do not patch the game. Digital version is already downloaded with patch. :-( 

33 minutes ago, pewiha said:

If you have the disc version, you can enable tweaks if you do not patch the game. Digital version is already downloaded with patch. :-( 

Lol i didn't know. I just finished brutal. Just follow the guides and you will be fine. Takes time tho. The ones i used were TheSeraphim17 and PersNikity on yt

For U1 and U3 I used the glitch, but did U2 on brutal properly and I found it hard too.  I know the section you are talking about on the train :( But keep at it, feels very rewarding to finish this masterpiece on brutal!

On 12/17/2020 at 4:57 PM, davestovies said:

Just got up to Chapter 12 and I've already had more hassle with this game than I remember having with U1 and U3. The shootout section in the crashed train is an absolute pisstake and in my opinion is the best example of how these games weren't built for a mode like Brutal. You have to deal with enemies from three different sides of the area before they send out two juggernaut enemies with miniguns who can absolute destroy in seconds if you're in the wrong cover (which you can't move from until after the miniguns enemies have spawned since there's a short cutscene) which then sends you right back to the start of the entire gunfight, before the minigun guys have spawned.

You can completely skip that train fight in Chapter 12 in U2 (6:30 in linked video). 

Check SquareOneGames’ guides for each chapter on Brutal (he has playlists for each mission for all 3 Uncharted Remastered games) - he shows a lot of areas where you can skip fights, make them easier and all his guides were super useful to me just in Crushing!

Video link here: 

Brutal definitely earns its name in uncharted 2 it's barely manageable and only moderately more manageable with the infinite ammo  cheat on

But out of everything I think the online stuff in uncharted 4 was the worst bit of the series I feel uncharted should always just be single or co op but not full multiplayer

Brutal mode is just broken and was never supposed to be in the game. You can try it, but only frustration awaits.

The trophies aren't worth it. There are other challenging games that do difficulty right.