SIE will be removing Cyberpunk 2077 from PS Store

FreneticWave

8 hours ago, BrandedBerserk said:

The way the game runs on base last gen consoles is inexcusable that's forsure but I wouldn't blame CDPR solely. The way gamers and fans reacted when the game kept getting delayed probably played a part in all of this as well. I don't think I've ever seen a situation where devs received death threats or got told that they'd be boycotted for wanting to delay their game for further polish. 

I'm wondering if the next thing we see is some kind of whistleblowing scenario around the working conditions of CDPR while everything has been in development. Similar to what we saw with stuff like Riot games and Bioware etc.

Back on topic though - I think the reason this is happening because one or more people in the CDPR executive team thought that:

1. It was a good idea to have a unified release date across two console generations and the PC
  2. It was a good idea to release the game on the PS4/Xbox One at all.

Thinking about it, this game should never have been a PS4 title. This whole thing would have gone down way way better if they released it on PC only for the 2020 holiday season and then the current gen consoles later in February or March.

I don't think this is happening because of the way the fans have reacted or might react, I can't really think of any examples where a giant company pushed a game out early because of a few mentally deranged manbabies who issued death threats to people. Also, death threats sadly happen quite frequently. There is this small yet vocal group of internet functional smooth-brains that seem to exist in the gaming space who are angry enough to feel it's okay to threaten the life of another human being.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop

1 minute ago, kranuwa said:

PC version works wonderful, hopefully they'll fix it for PS4 but still, the PS5 version will be decisive 

Yeah absolutely, CDPR are predominantly a PC company, or have been up until recently. This is why I think they should never have released this on PS4 and why they should have staggered the releases at the very least. My friend says it runs smooth as butter on PC and he isn't even using a high end rig.

1 minute ago, TheSleepyBeauty said:

People shitting on Sony on a playstation forum website is Hypocrisy at it's best. 

I don't think you thought that statement through as thoroughly as you could.

CDPR deserves all the shit they get. They lied to the customers and now have to face the consequences. You just can't excuse everything with patches.

"Sir my steak is raw." "Oh, we are sorry. It will be in an eatable state in like 1 hour. Have fun with it while you are waiting and thanks for your payment beforehand."

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Seth_Loyce said:

I'm SHOOK. Like, I get it, what baffles me is that the game hasn't got crucified by reviewers while other games like AC Unity or Days Gone did, even though they literally got patched within a week and were in a much better state than Cyberpunk 2077. 

so - I read this point - and I think it’s a good one, and I was as stumped as you - why did this game, which is - I think it is safe to say at this point - a disaster on Ps4 / XBO not get reviewed poorly....?   and then a thought occurred.

My guess is this:

Ac Unity and Days Gone had only single platform versions (well, single Gen, in AC Unity’s case, it was XboxOne and PS4, but not on the older gen hardware) and were buggy at launch, and they took the hit in reviews, because the reviewers had to play those versions all the way through. 

Remember in the transition days of PS2 - PS3, and PS3 - PS4, how some games came out on both platforms, like Fifa / Madden, or Tony Hawks games etc?

The old gen versions were almost always pretty terrible - poorly implemented, bad frame-rates, unstable etc. (Sound familiar?)

Back then, most console reviews were from a few select outfits, and the norm back then was to review every version of every game - they would have an individual review for each one, with separate scores etc.

Nowadays though, that is less the norm. It is much more common now for the game to get one review - for the top level, or premium version, which maybe makes some mention of the other, lesser versions, and talks about the differences, etc.

What that means is that the game, really, gets one ‘score’ assigned to it, and it will be what is awarded to the best version, because reviewers will likey have access to all the tech, and so will play the best version (PC in this case) all the way through, then maybe test out the older versions for a few hours each, but will not have the maddening task of actually finishing a broken game - which used to be what drove scathing reviews.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

so - I read this point - and I think it’s a good one, and I was as stumped as you - why did this game, which is - I think it is safe to say at this point - a disaster on Ps4 / XBO not get reviewed poorly....?   and then a thought occurred.

My guess is this:

Ac Unity and Days Gone had only single platform versions (well, single Gen, in AC Unity’s case, it was XboxOne and PS4, but not on the older gen hardware) and were buggy at launch, and they took the hit in reviews, because the reviewers had to play those versions all the way through. 

Remember in the transition days of PS2 - PS3, and PS3 - PS4, how some games came out on both platforms, like Fifa / Madden, or Tony Hawks games etc?

The old gen versions were almost always pretty terrible - poorly implemented, bad frame-rates, unstable etc. (Sound familiar?)

Back then, most console reviews were from a few select outfits, and the norm back then was to review every version of every game - they would have an individual review for each one, with separate scores etc.

Nowadays though, that is less the norm. It is much more common now for the game to get one review - for the top level, or premium version, which maybe makes some mention of the other, lesser versions, and talks about the differences, etc.

What that means is that the game, really, gets one ‘score’ assigned to it, and it will be what is awarded to the best version, because reviewers will likey have access to all the tech, and so will play the best version (PC in this case) all the way through, then maybe test out the older versions for a few hours each, but will not have the maddening task of actually finishing a broken game - which used to be what drove scathing reviews.

There were no console codes/discs sent out to be reviewed.  The only reviews available were PC, which it apparently runs fine on.

CD didnt expect a shortage of Next-Gen consoles when they announced the release date last year. Now there are a ton of people that have to play on their old console (or they could just wait, but meh).

Unfortunate Situation. In 6 months nobody is talking about that crap anymore and everyone is enjoying the game in a better state.

And all the People who "lost" their faith in CD Red... they suddenly will praise the game and CD again and tell everyone how they always believed in them.

I hate this social media buzzfeed bullshit.

28 minutes ago, kranuwa said:

PC version works wonderful, hopefully they'll fix it for PS4 but still, the PS5 version will be decisive 

It depends, some people have had bad experiences even on PC, for example, I saw that Angry Joe had a lot of issues with his PC version even though he has a powerful machine.

1 hour ago, Mori said:

CD didnt expect a shortage of Next-Gen consoles when they announced the release date last year. Now there are a ton of people that have to play on their old console (or they could just wait, but meh).

Unfortunate Situation. In 6 months nobody is talking about that crap anymore and everyone is enjoying the game in a better state.

And all the People who "lost" their faith in CD Red... they suddenly will praise the game and CD again and tell everyone how they always believed in them.

I hate this social media buzzfeed bullshit.

Please dont scapegoat a "shortage of next gen consoles" for cdpr's blatant deception. 

You dont advertise a game for ps4, then deny console review editions, release the game broken and say "oh lol we thought everyone would be on ps5 on day 1 where it works a little better lol"

• Like 1

This entire situation is hilarious. 

Its easy to say with hindsight but CDPR defo threw up a few red flags that a situation such as this could be a possibility. (Maybe not the removal from the PS store but eh? Sony be Sony).

No matter how "well loved " a games studio is, its still just a business, no matter how much it sometimes feels like a trusted friend. 

I remember the launch of Witcher 3 not being perfect either, but not to this level. Cant remember whether that was delayed or not. 

Oh and im not a fan of people saying it shouldnt of been released on PS4/XB1. It got advertised and built for those consoles right? From a long time ago.  The fact is its just glitchy n buggy right now. If their ambitious project (the game) was incapable of being made for current gen of consoles then please tell us early. It just feels like theyve tried to please both current and next gen console fans and managed to fail both sorta. (Them damn PC boys! get all the goods!) .

Im also not a fan of blaming/half blaming the fanbase. The hypetrain is started and built by the company. This is on CDPR.

With that said... Yeah its ok on PC but the ps4 version will go back in its box til Jan onwards. And it'll be another reminder to not instantly think that everything cyberpunk (the sub-genre that is) will be amazing. (Of course unlike books and most films, games can be patched?..but thats another rant!)

TL;DR 

CDPR IS BAD, dont simp/fanboy for them AND dont be a sucker. 

Edited by punkshepherd
Agressive toadstools made me

7 hours ago, iGGTheEnd said:

Im not defending Cyberpunk but 10 years of hype or not if Sony is going to hold one game to this standard maybe they should do the same for the rest of those shit games.  Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales for example crashes once per hour when I try to play it, the game is at least a couple years old and never got pulled from the store, made by the same dev.  Sony should be doing some quality control for all games and not just the big releases.  

I understand what your saying .. And hell maybe right? But Cyberpunk was the game of the gen. It was the game that change gaming forever!! This was to big to let things go by and do nothing! Plus I don't  think SONY'S hotline was being phoned every sec of the day about theThronebreaker crashing ..IM just stating the facts there.

Morons on Twitter are actually calling this an anti-consumer move. Look, I know a lot of people literally only just learned the terms "pro-consumer" and "anti-consumer" late last generation because a bunch of YouTubers have been parroting them about, but regarding giving the option to hand over money for a demonstrably broken piece of shit "pro-consumer" is just a leap in logic I cannot fathom.

Edited by Stan Lee

22 hours ago, Seth_Loyce said:

I'm SHOOK. Like, I get it, what baffles me is that the game hasn't got crucified by reviewers while other games like AC Unity or Days Gone did, even though they literally got patched within a week and were in a much better state than Cyberpunk 2077. 

it has a 55 on ps4 and xbox. id say its getting crucified on there. the pc version obviously runs better, thus its getting a better score

22 hours ago, MarioMan200 said:

I knew this game was gonna flop over the amount of delays it got, but this I never expected to happen. 

a game that makes its 8 year development cycle budget back on release solely based off pre orders is not a flop.

people forget how broken skyrim and the glitcher 3 was on release and those 2 games are heralded as some of the best games of the decade. this game will eventually get to that status, just gonna take a year. which is why i didnt pre order.

CDPR threw themselves under a bus in the 14th of December and I quote:

"First of all, we would like to start by apologizing to you for not showing the game on base last-gen consoles before it premiered and, in consequence, not allowing you to make a more informed decision about your purchase. We should have paid more attention to making it play better on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One."

This legally immediately give Sony and Microsoft legal teams to tell their management that they could do whatever they wanted. Period.

But then they threw themselves under a bigger bus with the last statement:

"Finally, we would always like everyone who buys our games to be satisfied with their purchase. We would appreciate it if you would give us a chance, but if you are not pleased with the game on your console and don't want to wait for updates, you can opt to refund your copy. For copies purchased digitally, please use the refund system of PSN or Xbox respectively. For boxed versions, please first try to get a refund at the store where you bought the game. Should this not be possible, please contact us at helpmerefundrdcdprojektred.com and we will do our best to help you. Starting from today, you can contact us for a week up until December 21st, 2020."

The date was even more stupid because they simply wanted to get a out of jail Monopoly card by the 21st leaving the hot potato to Sony and Microsoft, as it was simply impossible to solve this mess in a week. So picking statement one Sony, and now Microsoft, protected their ass and tried to save their face by taking the obvious action. Let's not be naive Sony and Microsoft wanted Cyberpunk 2077 as bad as CDPR, and it's CLEARLY impossible they only have seen the game on launch date, so both already knew the game was a mess on previous gen.

So neither Sony or Microsoft are exactly saviors or honest they're just protecting their bottom line.

And would either of them do any refunds at all if it was one of their first party games which was a mess? Hypocrisy.

And yes CDPR made a huge mess, and they're going to pay it dearly.

5 hours ago, EightBitArtist said:

a game that makes its 8 year development cycle budget back on release solely based off pre orders is not a flop.

That was all hype. 

After the deception and true conditions of the game came to light, the ongoing refunds and $1billion+ loss in stock value definitely undid what the hype train built.

3 hours ago, cris3f said:

and it's CLEARLY impossible they only have seen the game on launch date, so both already knew the game was a mess on previous gen.

And would either of them do any refunds at all if it was one of their first party games which was a mess? Hypocrisy.

That's speculation. Cant really say Sony and Microsoft knew, or it's possible they were promised a day 1 patch that would iron out the issues.  I doubt either of them would knowingly allow a game this big to have a fail this bad - it gives them negative PR too.  Perhaps with that many pre-orders, they should've been more on it?

I think they have more direct control & communication with their first-party studios to the point they wouldn't get released in this sorry of a state.  And yes, I'd bet if a first party studio failed launch created this big of an uproar, youd be seeing the same refund offer.  Nobody wants this kind of headache.

6 hours ago, cris3f said:

The date was even more stupid because they simply wanted to get a out of jail Monopoly card by the 21st leaving the hot potato to Sony and Microsoft, as it was simply impossible to solve this mess in a week.

Playing the devil's advocate here but I think the date is simply because they sent most of their staff on Christmas holidays, as they definitely deserve a break after months of crunch. I don't think there is any other ulterior motive behind the date.
Generally, lots of companies pretty much close up shop for the last two weeks of the year.
That's also why they said they would put out one of two updates now and then the next one would not come until January.
I can't imagine that they would be prepared to receive the backlash it woudl cause when they would force their employees to forgo their end of the year holidays...

Edited by Sicho
  • Like 1

CDPR is such a disgusting company. First they refuse to give out console versions so people will keep their pre-orders. Then they dont allow the critics to show own gameplay footage. And after that they promise everyone a full refund without checking if its possible, so people will get mad at Sony instead of the polish crapcompany who made a broken piece of shit game. 

And on top of that they first promise the dev team that nobody will be forced to work overtime to finish the game. Then they force people to work overtime to finish a game they delayed 3 times already.

I had my doubts from day one and it sucks I was right. Not getting this anytime soon. 

• Like 1