PS3 Password No Longer Works

BlackSquirrell1

So, dusted off the old PS3 and tried to log in.  No go, wouldn't recognize the password.  Of course, the password works fine on the PS4 and PS5.  Noticed a few years ago an update come out and people had the same problem.  So they were able to do the online chat and fix the problem.  But I noticed the online chat no longer seems to be available, and I really don't want to come up with a new password.  Anyone else have this problem and do you have an easier solution?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RNumbers said:

Solution could be to turn ON 2-factor authentication, at least temporarily. But I recommend having it on and keeping it on, regardless.

Well, tried that already. Code received on phone doesn't work in the password field (as instructed).  Online Bot already answered the question that the emergency backup codes you receive when setting it up work only for the PS4 and PS5.  I'd say the PS3 has been cut loose by Sony.

3 minutes ago, BlackSquirrell1 said:

Well, tried that already. Code received on phone doesn't work in the password field (as instructed).  Online Bot already answered the question that the emergency backup codes you receive when setting it up work only for the PS4 and PS5.  I'd say the PS3 has been cut loose by Sony.

That sounds very odd to me, but it doesn't seem to have you too bothered. If you want me to take a closer look at how 2-factor is working for my PS3 as a point of comparison let me know and I'll see if I can find a way to help you further.

Are you typing with a keyboard? sometimes typing too fast and lag causes a key to be missed.
Are you sure you enter the password correctly?

Maybe try a password reset. Reset seems to work for most back in the days when there was the issue.

• 4 weeks later...

Is your password too long? Not sure about the PS3 password as I have 2FA but the wifi password for example if too long won't let you type the full password, also you can try initialise the system or delete the account and add again. My PS3 was having issues loading a number of settings until I did so 

• 1 month later...
On 1/12/2021 at 7:06 AM, Baka_Marimo said:

I'm only seeing this thread now but I had the exact same issue with my PS3 a few months back and the device password is what solved it for me. Log in at https://id.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/signin/ and go to Security. If you don't have 2-Step Verification enabled you will have to do that now because otherwise the Device Password menu won't even show up. Click on it and just follow the instructions and your PS3 will be back online in no time 1f642.png For me my original password still doesn't work but the device password will keep working indefinitely and you can have it filled in automatically just as with your original password.

I've been trying to log into the URL you linked but every time I type in my email, password, and authenticator code I just get "An error has occurred. You have been signed out." So I can't even get into the Sony Entertainment network!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Osheem said:

I've been trying to log into the URL you linked but every time I type in my email, password, and authenticator code I just get "An error has occurred. You have been signed out." So I can't even get into the Sony Entertainment network!

Try a different browser, I have the same issue with chrome

10 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Try a different browser, I have the same issue with chrome

Thanks for the quick response. I tried it on Chrome first then Safari and I'm still getting it. What browser did you use?

edit: I just googled Sony Entertainment Network and clicked on the first link, somehow I was already logged in! Anyway, followed Baka_Marimo's instructions and now it's all good! Thanks everyone 

Edited by Osheem
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DaivRules said:

Did you try it in an Incognito window?

I was actually able to get in by just googling Sony Entertainment Network, but I tried incognito and that didn't work either :( luckily I was able to get in though. Thank you!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Osheem said:

Thanks for the quick response. I tried it on Chrome first then Safari and I'm still getting it. What browser did you use?

edit: I just googled Sony Entertainment Network and clicked on the first link, somehow I was already logged in! Anyway, followed Baka_Marimo's instructions and now it's all good! Thanks everyone 

I had to use Edge. Anyways glad you got it fixed

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...