"Bloated Content?"

IntrepidHunter

This game looks appealing, but Ubisoft is known for bloated content - meaning an insane amount of 'busy work' in collectibles and such - like Assassin's Creed games, for example and Valhalla with it's 800 or so collectibles. I quit playing that game about halfway through because I just got completely burned out on it and exhausted with them. 

Before I go pick it up, is Fenyx Rising sort of the same?

I don't mind collectibles, mind you. I enjoy collectibles like Bioshock's with the audio diaries, or Control for example that lend additional lore or hints to things in them, or those that give you stat boosts if you collect so many. I get why they are there. I just consider Ubisoft to be prominent in the field of 'creating things to do just to add playtime to our games without any value' sort of collectibles to an almost preposterous magnitude and don't feel like getting game burnout again ... if that makes any sense. :D

• Like 2

The collectables are mostly armour/sword variations. And theres quite a lot of it, so yeah there's a bunch of bloat. It's fun enough to collect stuff though, one of those games that you tell yourself you'll do one more thing, and then all of s sudden an hour has passed. Its a perfect podcast game though, if thats your thing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iGGTheEnd said:

I have never tried it but from the Powerpyx guide it says 30-40 hours to platinum so it can't be AS bloated as an AC game.  I am sure there are still plenty of collectables but definitely not as many if it can be completed in 30 hours.

If PowerPyx says 30-40 hours to plat, that really means it's 60-80 hours to plat most likely. I love the guides he makes, but I don't know a single person that can plat a game in the time he gives for almost anything. :D Also said 6-8 hours to plat Medievil ... yeaaaaah.

Thanks though. That's good to hear - I'm glad this time around the collectibles are fun, or at least worthwhile to pick up. They were an abysmal chore in Valhalla and I just really didn't want to get into that hole again. Sounds like I will be picking this one up soon.

• Like 4

I'm 34 Hours in and about 2-3 from the Plat. It has a fair amount of collectibles and challenges to complete but most you will do or pick up naturally since you wanna upgrade anyway. I don't feel its over bloated compared to other Ubi games platinum requirements. It also helps that it feels really good to play and if the humor clicks with you, you have a good time going through the game. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's not too bad, the only thing that's starting to get tedious and boring are the vaults. Some of them have ways you can bypass the puzzles if you have certain abilities but a lot of them have bottlenecks that force you to do really repetitive and boring tasks to progress. I'm also not a big fan that there's no fast way to reveal everything on the map, that's one of the things I love about Spider-Man and other games. I'm at about 20 of the 80 myths and already getting bored. So it's not as bad as AC, but still some bloatware. I love the visuals, the colors, the story and looking forward to the DLCs. Just wish there was a little less bloat or it was more optional than a prerequisite for the platinum.

Edited by PortaLuna

Like others have said, it is a little bloated. It does get repetitive and boring at times. At its core it is still your typical ubisoft game with ton of collectibles and things to do and when youve done 50 vaults then it is just not that exciting or fun anymore.

it is however still a fun game to play. I wouldnt recommend buying it at full price although you would still get your moneys worth but rather wait for a price drop.

Edited by UlvenFenrir
  • Like 1

It's the exact right amount and is not Assassin's Creed type of bloat.  There's plenty of course, but all of it isn't required, the overall world is a fraction of the size of something like Odyssey.  And more importantly (most) all of that side content is actually fun.  Great game and a fun plat.

• 4 months later...

everything about this game is designed to waste your time. And not the normal, totally acceptable amount of time you'd wanna waste doing a handfull of mundane tasks like collectibles. but hrs upon hrs. because of how badly and forcibly every aspect of it's design has twisted the typical ubiscum open world formula into the most mind melting, boring fucking chore that they have EVER produced in their entire time as a publisher.

puzzles, have their own set of puzzles, and you need to do one before the others activate, to do one to find the door, then do one to open the door and now the door is open, another to access the chest, and there is your mundane collectible 1/180 that has some pointless glowy shit inside it, but not much mind you, about 1/10th of what you need. that is this game.. in it's entirety,

• Like 1

On 19/12/2020 at 1:07 AM, IntrepidHunter said:

If PowerPyx says 30-40 hours to plat, that really means it's 60-80 hours to plat most likely. I love the guides he makes, but I don't know a single person that can plat a game in the time he gives for almost anything. :D Also said 6-8 hours to plat Medievil ... yeaaaaah.

Thanks though. That's good to hear - I'm glad this time around the collectibles are fun, or at least worthwhile to pick up. They were an abysmal chore in Valhalla and I just really didn't want to get into that hole again. Sounds like I will be picking this one up soon.

Powerpyx is Powerpyx but the website and guides are worked on by multiple people.

It does make the continuity of the guides rough though but not really anymore so than the many people who create the guides for this website.

39 minutes ago, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

everything about this game is designed to waste your time. And not the normal, totally acceptable amount of time you'd wanna waste doing a handfull of mundane tasks like collectibles. but hrs upon hrs. because of how badly and forcibly every aspect of it's design has twisted the typical ubiscum open world formula into the most mind melting, boring fucking chore that they have EVER produced in their entire time as a publisher.

puzzles, have their own set of puzzles, and you need to do one before the others activate, to do one to find the door, then do one to open the door and now the door is open, another to access the chest, and there is your mundane collectible 1/180 that has some pointless glowy shit inside it, but not much mind you, about 1/10th of what you need. that is this game.. in it's entirety,

You good Sir, always have points that hit the mark! Also your rants always make me smile and sometimes giggle! Thank you for your service!!! ? Definitely deserve the likes!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

going through it now, if you bump the difficulty down to story and go through the vaults first it should take around 30 hours. Thats with combat not being the absolute fucking chore it is even on Normal and you get punished hard for not getting the collectibles to get stronger. Like you do baby damage and bigger enemies take 5 minutes of nonstop wailing to kill when they can kill you in 2 hits, just on normal. Luckily there's some 'exploits' like just going straight to the big Lyres and playing the songs from a guide and getting tons of resources that way early on like Charon Coins and getting strong that way but your actual damage numbers always remain low because red crystals are very rare.

Getting tired out after sprinting 5 feet also forces you straight to those vaults. Occasionally getting on top of high points and literally scanning the horizon waiting for the reticle to flicker so you can map the collectibles otherwise you'll miss them.

The puzzles themselves aren't bad, it just takes actual time to get them done because you're always using stamina to pick up and throw shit around, or the platforming is just slow with wind gusts everywhere and you have to float from point A to point B. Again, forcing you into the vaults for the Zeus lightning.

Cutscenes are long and awkwardly acted with very stilted character movement so you can just skip all those.

As usual with any Ubisoft open world game ever made(The crew, far cry, AC, etc...) about 1/3 of the time you spend actually playing is fun. Someday they will cut these games down 1/3, or even 1/2.

Edited by StanPortrBridges