ExistentialSolid's "Please Destroy Me" Detour

ExistentialSolid

New Nomination List ~ Poll #1  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following games would you like to see next?

• Moon Hunters
    • Attacking Zegeta 2
    • GoNNer 2
    • XPosed Reloaded
    • Mr. Driller: DrillLand

Probably a good thing that Crypt of the Necrodancer isn't eligible. I wouldn't have even nominated it, because I wouldn't have been ready to carry such guilt and responsibility. ?

For the first one I chose VVVVVV, as it's the game I'm most familiar with. An enjoyable platformer with cool mechanics, as far as I know.

As for my nominated game, I had to think. I would've said Downwell or Nex Machina, but you had completed them already ?. Thought about Trackmania Turbo for a moment, but you have it done as well. So I just checked what games you already have, and want to nominate Devil May Cry 5. Maybe not the hardest game I could pick, but I think it's good one to start with. Especially because you're already familiar with it.

Great trophy collection, man. Good luck with the challenge!

Edited by Alderriz
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Eqill5 said:

Everyone voting in this thread:

In all seriousness though, this is a cool idea. I wish you luck in your venture and looking forward to the updates too! I’ll kick things off with a vote for Splasher

Haha, thank you! ? I'll try my very best to make sure that my updates are worthwhile! 

14 hours ago, det_gittes said:

That's a great idea for a challenge! I'll vote for Splasher as it seems to be the least known game from the bunch, I hope you'll upload some videos from your struggle! And good luck!

Thank you! My hope is to upload at least one video with each progress update. Screenshots may occasionally substitute for a video if little progress is made (or if I forget to record) but I will generally aim to put something out there even if it's just me making mistakes!

14 hours ago, Alderriz said:

Probably a good thing that Crypt of the Necrodancer isn't eligible. I wouldn't have even nominated it, because I would've been ready to carry such guilt and responsibility. 1f604.png

For the first one I chose VVVVVV, as it's the game I'm most familiar with. An enjoyable platformer with cool mechanics, as far as I know.

As for my nominated game, I had to think. I would've said Downwell or Nex Machina, but you had completed them already 1f605.png. Thought about Trackmania Turbo for a moment, but you have it done as well. So I just checked what games you already have, and want to nominate Devil May Cry 5. Maybe not the hardest game I could pick, but I think it's good one to start with. Especially because you're already familiar with it.

Great trophy collection, man. Good luck with the challenge!

Yeah, I think this thread would end up as a shrine to Crypt of the Necrodancer if I had left its eligibility on the table. ? Super long games like that would also be really difficult to make weekly updates for without sounding repetitive since progress is generally much slower/more incremental. Gotta keep things interesting!

Devil May Cry 5 is an excellent pick and certainly a challenging game! I have added it to the list of nominees (the list itself will appear on the thread soon)!
Thank you! ?

Edited by ExistentialSolid
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, S_y_n_e_IR_g_Y said:

Really cool idea for a Thread, i will follow your progress and wish you a lot of luck. :)

A few Games that would come to my mind:

- Atari Collection Vol 1 or 2

- Nuclear throne 

Best regards 1f64c-1f3fb.png

Thank you! ?
I finished both of the suggested Atari volumes (along with vol. 3) but Nuclear Throne is a fantastic pick! I have added it to the nomination list! 

• Like 1

Pretty cool idea, i see that you don't really care if a game has a platinum or not, and it's great to see all those "ultra rares" 100% games on your list, and props to you for the variety. 

As a suggestion, you should take a look on Darkest Dungeon, taking a glance at your list i think you're not into turn based rpg's, but try it out, it's one from the series:

- "How could this situation get any worse?"

- "Oh."

Good luck on your challenge, and make sure your list never stops growing, it's looking great so far. 

• Like 1

Very impressive list. I think you're a step above me when it comes to skill and talent. You did Not a Hero in virtually half the time it took me to finish it.

Now, these games are probably ones that 99.9 percent of gamers would rage quit and break a controller over, but looking over your trophy list you definitely have the skills and dedication to finish them. I say all three games on the poll are more difficult than Super Meat Boy, especially Splasher, that is one of the hardest PSN games out there. The only game that would be harder is Crypt of the Necrodancer. We all know why that is hard.

As for me, definitely not going to do these. VVVVVV I hear is comparable to Cloudberry Kingdom in terms of difficulty, and you do all that for no platinum. Thanks.... but no thanks.

• Like 1

First: Username checks out. 

Second: Why? I have respect of you by beating Cuphead (maybe by the n-th time I want to think) in 10 hours. I really want to aim for that. 

Third: I would highly suggest may be trying Attacking Zegeta as nobody ever has popped a single trophy. I honestly don't know why this happened. Don't know if tis can be considered for the poll. 

31 minutes ago, Spaz said:

The only game that would be harder is Crypt of the Necrodancer. We all know why that is hard.

Fourth: What do you mean? Because it's a rhythm game, or may be due its almost insane consuming time it would take? 

• Like 1

I'd nominate Yakuza 3 on PS4.

That's kinda like 10 hard games all rolled into one mini game trophy.

On the lines of Ikaruga, Sine Mora is another good one, there's a trophy for dying on the prelude and that's pretty much the only trophy most people can get.

12 minutes ago, Xenoblast91 said:

Third: I would highly suggest may be trying Attacking Zegeta as nobody ever has popped a single trophy. I honestly don't know why this happened. Don't know if tis can be considered for the poll.

That game is basically considered broken and trolling. Like it can't even be considered a hard game, it's just broken and unfair and is impossible due to the fact that you can die from things appearing out of nowhere, no way you can learn and get good at it.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Phantochi said:

Pretty cool idea, i see that you don't really care if a game has a platinum or not, and it's great to see all those "ultra rares" 100% games on your list, and props to you for the variety. 

As a suggestion, you should take a look on Darkest Dungeon, taking a glance at your list i think you're not into turn based rpg's, but try it out, it's one from the series:

- "How could this situation get any worse?"

- "Oh."

Good luck on your challenge, and make sure your list never stops growing, it's looking great so far. 

Thanks, your list is really impressive too! You can clearly dominate some of the toughest fighting games out there (P4 Arena and Street Fighter IV terrify me ?) and you've even got the coveted Wolfenstein II plat. 

Darkest Dungeon looks absolutely brutal. While I am generally comfortable with casual turn-based RPGs, deeper turn-based/strategy games have always been a weakness of mine. My patience starts to run dry with even relatively tame turn-based games like Final Fantasy or Persona (RPGs like Paper Mario or Undertale are more my speed ?). Darkest Dungeon looks like the sort of game that would require a University-level course to master in comparison to everything I've listed so, for now, I don't have the confidence to add it to the nomination list (I will clarify my original post to say "turn-based/strategy games" rather than just "strategy games" cannot be nominated).

That said, few games feel as satisfying to complete as the ones that give you a chance to prove yourself wrong so I will definitely check out Darkest Dungeon in my own time and see if I can commit to it in a pressure-free setting. If you have any other games that you would either recommend or like to nominate, let me know!

8 hours ago, Spaz said:

Very impressive list. I think you're a step above me when it comes to skill and talent. You did Not a Hero in virtually half the time it took me to finish it.

Now, these games are probably ones that 99.9 percent of gamers would rage quit and break a controller over, but looking over your trophy list you definitely have the skills and dedication to finish them. I say all three games on the poll are more difficult than Super Meat Boy, especially Splasher, that is one of the hardest PSN games out there. The only game that would be harder is Crypt of the Necrodancer. We all know why that is hard.

As for me, definitely not going to do these. VVVVVV I hear is comparable to Cloudberry Kingdom in terms of difficulty, and you do all that for no platinum. Thanks.... but no thanks.

Thanks! ? I genuinely don't believe I'm a step above you in skill or talent though. My Not a Hero completion time was more a case of me seeing how quickly I could finish the game using every resource at my disposal. I had the PSNP guide at the ready, YouTube videos queued up for the more confusing levels, skipped all of the cutscenes, didn't take a break for more than a few minutes, etc. If I had played the game at my usual pace, I would have finished much closer to your time with a strong chance of me taking longer (even then, total time spent on a game isn't necessarily a strong representation of skill or talent).

I'm convinced you have what it takes to complete any of these games too. It just takes patience and persistence (which you've demonstrated that you have with a very impressive list of your own)!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Xenoblast91 said:

First: Username checks out. 

Second: Why? I have respect of you by beating Cuphead (maybe by the n-th time I want to think) in 10 hours. I really want to aim for that. 

First: ?

Second: Why the challenge? Well, I thought the idea of a community-led dive into a bunch of challenging games sounded like it could be fun! The format also adds more of an incentive (pressure/encouragement) to actually finish these difficult games which I thought might help motivate me to push through if the challenge ever starts to feel too daunting. 

I'm glad I could inspire you with my Cuphead completion time! I played it to completion on XB1 (and a bunch afterwards) back when it released and loved every minute of it. So, when it dropped on PS4, I figured I would see how quickly I could complete it. I bet you could absolutely destroy my time once you've learned the ins-and-outs of each boss though (I still died a lot)! Good luck! 

Third: I agree with @enaysoft on Attacking Zegeta. Both 1 and 2 appear to be a total mess. More clever players than myself may eventually figure out how to earn the full trophy set in either game but, for now, completion seems to be unobtainable. I will edit my post to prevent games with unobtainable trophies from being nominated. Sorry that I didn't make that clear beforehand! Let me know if there is any other game you would like to nominate instead and I would be happy to include it in the list!

7 hours ago, enaysoft said:

I'd nominate Yakuza 3 on PS4.

That's kinda like 10 hard games all rolled into one mini game trophy.

On the lines of Ikaruga, Sine Mora is another good one, there's a trophy for dying on the prelude and that's pretty much the only trophy most people can get.

That game is basically considered broken and trolling. Like it can't even be considered a hard game, it's just broken and unfair and is impossible due to the fact that you can die from things appearing out of nowhere, no way you can learn and get good at it.

I really enjoyed Yakuza 0 and Kiwami so I'm sure Yakuza 3 is a very solid pick! I will add it to the nomination list!

Sine Mora is another great option. In fact, I nearly chose Sine Mora over Ikaruga in my initial nomination set but changed my mind at the last minute since the Vita version is generally considered to be the "hardest" version of the game while the PS4 version has a few changes that make it easier overall. Basically, I wasn't sure if I wanted players to scoff at the fact that I would be playing the "easy" version of the game so I avoided it altogether (kind of silly, I know ?).

About a year ago a guy went a bit mental here on these forums playing Yakuza 3, he was planning on getting Platinum on all the Yakuza games in order, so he did 0, Kiwami 1 and Kiwami 2 and then he got to Yakuza 3 and oh boy, it broke him. And he was stuck on one of the slightly "easier" minigames too, having to get 10 strikes in baseball in a row.

He ranted a lot and even said he punched a hole through the wall in his home. Not sure if that was true but eventually he was either banned or asked for his account on this forum to be deleted and he retired from trophy hunting.

Yakuza 3 is my favourite (also best soundtrack) of the series (closely behind 6) but my god did the developers pull a dick move with having to perfect all the mini games on the hardest settings. Near perfect AI on pool, finishing a golfing tournament in under 5 par, win a game of mahjong with over 50000 points etc.

I don't know about the other games on your list but if you can get platinum on Yakuza 3, you my friend have my respect.

I'm very happy with my 89% lol

• Like 4

6 hours ago, enaysoft said:

God. Those games are absolutely brutal. I have lots of respect for anyone who gets either of those games done. Doing Sky Force Anniversary was hard for me at times and that's pretty goddamn easy compared to many other shmup titles.

4 hours ago, ExistentialSolid said:

Thanks! 1f604.png I genuinely don't believe I'm a step above you in skill or talent though. My Not a Hero completion time was more a case of me seeing how quickly I could finish the game using every resource at my disposal. I had the PSNP guide at the ready, YouTube videos queued up for the more confusing levels, skipped all of the cutscenes, didn't take a break for more than a few minutes, etc. If I had played the game at my usual pace, I would have finished much closer to your time with a strong chance of me taking longer (even then, total time spent on a game isn't necessarily a strong representation of skill or talent).

I'm convinced you have what it takes to complete any of these games too. It just takes patience and persistence (which you've demonstrated that you have with a very impressive list of your own)!

Well I did take a few hours break in Not a Hero, was expecting it to be a bit longer but it's a pretty short game. Watched up all the cutscenes and etc, so that was probably the major difference.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, enaysoft said:

About a year ago a guy went a bit mental here on these forums playing Yakuza 3, he was planning on getting Platinum on all the Yakuza games in order, so he did 0, Kiwami 1 and Kiwami 2 and then he got to Yakuza 3 and oh boy, it broke him. And he was stuck on one of the slightly "easier" minigames too, having to get 10 strikes in baseball in a row.

He ranted a lot and even said he punched a hole through the wall in his home. Not sure if that was true but eventually he was either banned or asked for his account on this forum to be deleted and he retired from trophy hunting.

Yakuza 3 is my favourite (also best soundtrack) of the series (closely behind 6) but my god did the developers pull a dick move with having to perfect all the mini games on the hardest settings. Near perfect AI on pool, finishing a golfing tournament in under 5 par, win a game of mahjong with over 50000 points etc.

I don't know about the other games on your list but if you can get platinum on Yakuza 3, you my friend have my respect.

Sounds like Yakuza 3 demands a wide range of skills. 

That's interesting that you mention baseball. I struggled at the batting cages in Kiwami 1 for awhile until I came across a YouTube comment that said something along the lines of, "Swing as soon as you notice Kiryu stiffen up."

As soon as that was made clear, it clicked. You don't even really need to look at the ball anymore, just at Kiryu. I wonder what changes in Yakuza 3 that makes baseball more difficult? Either way, I feel bad for the guy if he struggled with Yakuza 3 to the extent that he suffered a mental break down. Do you know if anything he's written is still up?

10 hours ago, enaysoft said:

It seems strange that Yakuza 3 actually has a higher platinum % on here than Yakuza 0 and Kiwami 1. It's the next Yakuza in my list so I'm curious if it really is as hard as people say. I would like to get the platinum in all of them, but if the difference between 89% and 100% is 50+ hours, I'm usually happy with the 89%. Too many other games to play.

Is there a difference between the PS3 and PS4 version?

Edited by Grotz99
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, ExistentialSolid said:

Sine Mora is another great option. In fact, I nearly chose Sine Mora over Ikaruga in my initial nomination set but changed my mind at the last minute since the Vita version is generally considered to be the "hardest" version of the game while the PS4 version has a few changes that make it easier overall. Basically, I wasn't sure if I wanted players to scoff at the fact that I would be playing the "easy" version of the game so I avoided it altogether (kind of silly, I know 1f605.png).

SIne Mora on PSV and PS3 are identical, and the PS3 is technically harder since it requires you to complete the challenges. The only way in which the PSV version could be more difficult is the screen/controls of the PSV or not being able to use turbo. Both of these are taken away if you use PSTV, although there could still be some minor performance differences between the two versions, but I have never heard of this. The fire cap is much lower than some other versions and spamming only gives you slightly more DPS on the PS3 version (and PSV version as well), compared to X360 where you just shred everything with ease with a turbo. I did all my runs just holding ifre normally without mashing, though a turbo would make things slightly easier. The downside being that some turbo controllers only have d-pads.

The challenges on PS3 individually aren't harder than Arcade Primary Only, but they do require a specific approach and can be pretty difficult. I don't think it would be that hard nowadays though since most of the challenge was because there was next to no information available on the game. Also, while turbo does add less DPS compared to other versions, I would imagine it would still be enough to make many bosses noticeably easier. 

I would recommend Superbeat Xonic, Raiden IV, Tetris Effect, and the Bleed games in addition to Splasher and VVVVVV (I find Ikaruga to be boring). These are all quite difficult Plats and also pretty good games to boot. The Bleed games are on the easier end compared to the others though. 

Edited by machaesthetic

This is a pretty cool idea.

I will vote for Ikaruga! 

I own the game myself and I’m curious about how difficult this game really is. Good luck!

Edit:

I’ll nominate a game too:

Dariusburst: Chronical Saviours.

Supposedly harder than Ikaruga so I’m also very curious about this. Problem is this game is still €60 and almost never goes on sale.

Edited by BB-BakkerJ
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, machaesthetic said:

SIne Mora on PSV and PS3 are identical, and the PS3 is technically harder [...] 

I would recommend Superbeat Xonic, Raiden IV, Tetris Effect, and the Bleed games in addition to Splasher and VVVVVV (I find Ikaruga to be boring). These are all quite difficult Plats and also pretty good games to boot. The Bleed games are on the easier end compared to the others though. 

I see, while I'm glad to learn that the PS3 version is comparable, if not harder, than the Vita version, PS4's Sine Mora EX (which is unquestionably easier than both the PS3/Vita versions) would be my only option if I were to play the game for this thread.

Since I don't have a way to capture footage on PS3, I am limited to the PS4's capture features if I want to document my progress using videos/screenshots (which is my plan for any game featured in this thread). I similarly cannot play Raiden IV because of my capture limitations. 

Superbeat Xonic is an excellent rhythm game and one I already have some history with! I worked my way up to the end of the world tour mode before I started to lose motivation and took a break. It will take some serious grinding to get the last 3 stages done (6 Eleven ugh...). 

I've been curious about the Bleed games as they're on sale all the time but I wasn't sure if they were worth the effort given their obscurity. I'll have to check them out when I get the chance.

11 hours ago, BB-BakkerJ said:

This is a pretty cool idea.

I will vote for Ikaruga! 

I own the game myself and I’m curious about how difficult this game really is. Good luck!

Edit:

I’ll nominate a game too:

Dariusburst: Chronical Saviours.

Supposedly harder than Ikaruga so I’m also very curious about this. Problem is this game is still €60 and almost never goes on sale.

Thank you!

I've been waiting for someone to bring up Dariusburst: Chronical Saviours! 
I was considering it alongside Ikaruga and Sine Mora EX but the price scared me away ?. 

I have added it to the nomination list and will let my wallet fear the day that the game wins a poll! If you, or anyone else, happen to notice this game on sale in the NA store, please let me know! 

• Like 1

Ikaruga is just really boring because it makes you play the game in one specific highly formulaic way in order to S++ that just requires a ton of memorization, and then you also have to control two ships at once. It's hard, but just not really the type of challenge that would be remotely fun (at least for me, and I generally like shmups).

Yakuza 3 is not really difficult. Nuclear Throne is not really difficult, mostly time consuming (just like Isaac and Enter the Gungeon). The Bleed games are both really great games and are also pretty fast with the time being almost entirely skill dependent. 

Assetto Corsa and Spelunky 2 are two more recommendations that are both quite difficult and great games. 

There are some harder 100%/Platinums but most are just mediocre games, very obscure, or just very grindy. 

I could not find any reference to the Yakuza 3 guy unfortunately. It was a long while ago so I can't remember his name anymore.

Oh yes Tetris Effect, that is indeed a very hard game, requiring raw dexterity and skill.

Getting SS on every mode is very tough, for me the hardest is clearing 40 lines WITHIN 70 seconds, that is really tough. One minute of pure high level play.

If you ever get this game, try this challenge from the start as it's available from the get go. If you can't get this one, just give up on the rest of the game :) 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, machaesthetic said:

Ikaruga is just really boring because it makes you play the game in one specific highly formulaic way in order to S++ that just requires a ton of memorization, and then you also have to control two ships at once. It's hard, but just not really the type of challenge that would be remotely fun (at least for me, and I generally like shmups).

Yakuza 3 is not really difficult. Nuclear Throne is not really difficult, mostly time consuming (just like Isaac and Enter the Gungeon). The Bleed games are both really great games and are also pretty fast with the time being almost entirely skill dependent. 

Keep in mind that what you find "difficult" will not always match what others find "difficult." 
As such, please refrain from judging the recommendations or nominations of others.
"Difficulty" will always be subjective and it is not your place to impose your own arbitrary definition over anyone else's.

10 hours ago, enaysoft said:

Oh yes Tetris Effect, that is indeed a very hard game, requiring raw dexterity and skill.

Getting SS on every mode is very tough, for me the hardest is clearing 40 lines WITHIN 70 seconds, that is really tough. One minute of pure high level play.

If you ever get this game, try this challenge from the start as it's available from the get go. If you can't get this one, just give up on the rest of the game :) 

Woah...

I don't even want to imagine the amount of practice required to reach this level of play.
Did you manage to get an SS on every mode?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, enaysoft said:

I could not find any reference to the Yakuza 3 guy unfortunately. It was a long while ago so I can't remember his name anymore.

Way too fucking fast. This guy is a Tetris gaming god.

My brain just can't function that quickly.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 2