ExistentialSolid's "Please Destroy Me" Detour

ExistentialSolid

New Nomination List ~ Poll #1  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following games would you like to see next?

• Moon Hunters
    • Attacking Zegeta 2
    • GoNNer 2
    • XPosed Reloaded
    • Mr. Driller: DrillLand

Nice checklist! I like the idea of people being able to vote for what challenging game you should play. The reviews and progress updates are also very insightful and I love the formatting! Best of luck on your future endeavours. 

On 16-2-2021 at 11:51 AM, Arcesius said:

This game is brutal. I'm voting for this game too. I've come close to beating it a few times, but just not enough. Ocasionally I try this game from time to time, but it's so repetitive and RNG dependant that I get put off so quickly. The game can literally decide to let you live or die. Sometimes the AI does nothing, other times the AI reacts so fast that you cannot anticipate on it. It's just stupid. 

• Like 4

Congrats on the plat dude! You absolutely destroyed this game!

Also, how in hell did you get the platinum medals for the individual levels in 30-45 minutes? Those have taken me multiple hours each so far, and I haven't even gotten to the hard levels yet ?

Looking forward to the next game you will undoubtedly destroy 

• Like 1

Once again: Congrats @ExistentialSolid.

It was pretty fun sharing experiences for Splasher and going for it together.

I myself am not done yet. Did some Gotta catch'em all runs. Maybe 6 or so. In my two best efforts I was 2 minutes and 1 minutes, 41 seconds shy of the plat medal. I think I could have already been able to do it but I choked severly in the later levels xD.

A little disappointed to see VVVVVV leave the poll but I get why and am glad that you will update us on you're progress once you're done. :-)

Also thanks to the other people that joined in on Splasher and shared their experiences.

I'm looking forward to the next poll.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, JohnlMatrix said:

Once again: Congrats @ExistentialSolid.

It was pretty fun sharing experiences for Splasher and going for it together.

I myself am not done yet. Did some Gotta catch'em all runs. Maybe 6 or so. In my two best efforts I was 2 minutes and 1 minutes, 41 seconds shy of the plat medal. I think I could have already been able to do it but I choked severly in the later levels xD.

Thanks, I had fun too! ?

I'm sure you'll get your last platinum medal soon considering you've made it this far! Good luck and let us know once you've got that plat! :platinum:

13 hours ago, Trumpet_Boi_208 said:

Now that VVVVVV is removed, I’m genuinely curious to see what your next game will be. Any early predictions?

Hmm, well, based on the results of the last poll, I think Catherine: FB and Binding of Isaac both have a strong chance of making the top 3! But, beyond that, I have no idea. ? Are there any games you think will dominate the polls?

11 hours ago, grayhammmer said:

I saw discussion about The End is Nigh, so maybe that will replace VVVVVV on the poll.

Ah, don't worry! The End is Nigh has already been added to the nomination list! ? JohnlMatrix decided to swap out his original nomination, Deadbolt, for The End is Nigh.  

Since I was the one who originally nominated VVVVVV (alongside Ikaruga and Splasher), there will be no replacement for VVVVVV in the upcoming polls. I'd like to leave all future game nominations up to the community so, unless some unusual case comes along, I will not be personally nominating any games from this point onwards.  

Edited by ExistentialSolid
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

When does the poll go up? i vote for my own. It can be a race 1f60e.png

The first phase of poll #3 will begin on March 3rd and will last one week! 

During this time, players will be able to vote for as many of the nominees on the nominee list as they would like (this first phase is meant to gauge the general public interest in each game). The three games that receive the most votes will move on to the second phase of the poll where players will only be able to cast one vote for whichever game they have the most interest in.

In the meantime, these next few days are for players that would like to make any last minute game nominations or swaps before the poll begins!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ExistentialSolid said:

Thanks, I had fun too! ?

I'm sure you'll get your last platinum medal soon considering you've made it this far! Good luck and let us know once you've got that plat! :platinum:

Finally got the plat. Don't know how many times I've done a Gotta catch'em all speedrun for the plat medal. Maybe 12 times. Reminder for everyone: To get the plat medal in this speedrun you have to finish with a time of about 73 minutes and 40 seconds or better. I got 75:xx runs twice and one 74:xx run. The latter run could have been the one but I severly choked in the last level. Funny enough I screwed up in ways that I had never managed to pull off before once again xD.

Then I finally made it, the run went pretty smoothly and I finished with a time of about 70:56:xx. Should be quite high on the leaderboards.

Should be, you ask? In the last couple of days the leaderboards in Splasher haven't loaded in for me. At all. When I started Action Henk today the game kept displaying "fetching data" forever on the leaderboards screen.

Talked to @ExistentialSolid about this and it seems that this is a PSN issue. I was worried that the leaderboards for Action Henk wouldn't be updated anymore, therefore rendering the 100% unobtainable. But it seems like this is not the case.

Edited by JohnlMatrix
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, JohnlMatrix said:

Finally got the plat. Don't know how many times I've done a Gotta catch'em all speedrun for the plat medal. Maybe 12 times. Reminder for everyone: To get the plat medal in this speedrun you have to finish with a time of about 73 minutes and 40 seconds or better. I got 75:xx runs twice and one 74:xx run. The latter run could have been the one but I severly choked in the last level. Funny enough I screwed up in ways that I had never managed to pull off before once again xD.

Then I finally made it, the run went pretty smoothly and I finished with a time of about 70:56:xx.

Congrats! :platinum::yay:
I knew you could get it done! With your plat, we're now up to 3 players that have successfully earned the Splasher plat in the past few weeks!

Edited by ExistentialSolid
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, enaysoft said:

Oh, you're already playing VVVVVV

But I guess you're playing at the moment, FOR FUN?! lol

Lol, I couldn't help myself! ? I got bored playing the DLC for Control and figured I'd have more fun getting destroyed some more. It is pretty fun though for whatever that's worth!

• Like 3

Poll #3 is now underway! 

How is the poll going to work?
Like the previous poll, polling is going to be conducted in two phases! In phase 1, which will begin at the time of posting, all 19 of the current nominees will be assembled together in one comprehensive list. Each player will be able to vote for as many of these nominees as they would like! The goal of this phase is to roughly gauge the level of interest that each game on the nominee list generates. The three nominees that earn the most votes in phase 1 of the poll will move on to phase 2!

Phase 1 will begin as soon as the poll goes live on 3/3 and will end on 3/10 at 7:00 PM EST (UTC-5)!

During phase 2, the three nominees that received the most votes in phase 1 will battle it out to become the next game featured in this challenge!  Each player will only be able to cast a single vote for whichever nominee they have the most interest in. The game that receives the most votes during phase 2 will be the ultimate winner of the poll and, like Ikaruga and Splasher, will receive regular progress updates until the game is either completed or manages to destroy me!

Phase 2 will begin as soon as the poll goes live on 3/11 and will end on 3/14 at 7:00 PM EST (UTC-5)!

Players are welcome to discuss their selections but please be respectful of one another! If there are any questions or concerns, please let me know!

• Like 2

Voted for Spelunky, Nidhogg and NT as updates for those games could be the most interesting ? honestly Isaac is a great game but everything can be save scummed so I don't really think it would fit with this challenge very well

Oh and I don't see Tetris Effect? I thought Danny_Johansen nominated that one ?

Edited by Miles
  • Like 2

I went for Isaac, The End is Nigh and Spelunky 2, three games I'm interested in and whose updates I would like to see.

I almost voted Yakuza 3 as well, but I've seen in your profile that you haven't played Kiwami 2 yet. In case you haven't played Yakuza 2 on PS2 either I'd strongly recommend doing so before going for 3. It is considered one of the best in the franchise and, although it is not entirely necessary since Yakuza games tend to include recaps (I'm not fully sure about this), it is recommended. In any case, Kiwami 2 seems to have an easier plat so I believe it is not suitable for this challenge, otherwise I'd nominate it ?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Miles said:

Oh and I don't see Tetris Effect? I thought Danny_Johansen nominated that one 1f61b.png

You do have to remember, @ExistentialSolid said in his OP that a game should not take more than 300 hours to platinum to be eligible. Tetris Effect is more than capable of requiring 300 hours of play to platinum. Even if you were insanely skilled at Tetris to where you could earn all SS ranks in a shorter period of time, you would still spend that time grinding for level 100 or 1,000,000 tetrimino rotations. Plus, most of the trophies involve grinding certain things, which would make for mostly boring updates, unless he’s fine with mainly recording his SS rank progression in his updates.

Edited by Trumpet_Boi_208
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, FrediPy_ said:

I went for Isaac, The End is Nigh and Spelunky 2, three games I'm interested in and whose updates I would like to see.

I almost voted Yakuza 3 as well, but I've seen in your profile that you haven't played Kiwami 2 yet. In case you haven't played Yakuza 2 on PS2 either I'd strongly recommend doing so before going for 3. It is considered one of the best in the franchise and, although it is not entirely necessary since Yakuza games tend to include recaps (I'm not fully sure about this), it is recommended. In any case, Kiwami 2 seems to have an easier plat so I believe it is not suitable for this challenge, otherwise I'd nominate it 1f62c.png

It was me who suggested Yakuza 3. I really like it, but you've got to be good at like 7 different style of games to get platinum in that game for the crazy minigame trophy.

I have not played it on PS4, but I wasn't aware until recently that some content was cut out of the PS4 release (after of course putting back in a ton of content that was cut out of the original PS3 version), the box art for one has been changed, not even the PS4 re-release in Japan has the smoking cigarette.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, enaysoft said:

It was me who suggested Yakuza 3. I really like it, but you've got to be good at like 7 different style of games to get platinum in that game for the crazy minigame trophy.

I have not played it on PS4, but I wasn't aware until recently that some content was cut out of the PS4 release (after of course putting back in a ton of content that was cut out of the original PS3 version), the box art for one has been changed, not even the PS4 re-release in Japan has the smoking cigarette.

After a quick look at Yakuza 3 trophy list I think it is so suitable for this challenge. I'm currently after Yakuza 0 plat and I can't imagine how hard it could get to beat every minigame on their hardest settings, the way it is now is just very time-consuming except for a couple of minigames (and yes, I am looking at ya, incomprehensible Mahjong!). Luckily enough, there is no Mahjong in Yakuza 3, but those expert batting, pool and darts can't be a piece of cake.

The only thing I wanted to point out is that it could be more enjoyable after playing Kiwami 2, but overall it is a solid proposal ?

• Like 3

Nidhogg 2 is highly likely to be impossible due to a bug. Floriiss uploaded a video of his “HOGGLIKE” run on this thread, showing that he did not unlock the trophy, despite doing everything he could to unlock it. Interestingly, there are a small percentage of people that unlocked it on the PC version, according to the Trueachievements website and Steam statistics. However, chances are high that those people are hackers.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, FrediPy_ said:

After a quick look at Yakuza 3 trophy list I think it is so suitable for this challenge. I'm currently after Yakuza 0 plat and I can't imagine how hard it could get to beat every minigame on their hardest settings, the way it is now is just very time-consuming except for a couple of minigames (and yes, I am looking at ya, incomprehensible Mahjong!). Luckily enough, there is no Mahjong in Yakuza 3, but those expert batting, pool and darts can't be a piece of cake.

The only thing I wanted to point out is that it could be more enjoyable after playing Kiwami 2, but overall it is a solid proposal 1f603.png

Oh, you had a "quick look" at Yakuza 3 trophy list? Tee hee hee.

Oh and there IS Mahjong in Yakuza 3 and one of the requirements is to win with over 50,000 points.

• Like 3

All right, next poll is up. And once more Catherine FB is tied for first place though this time it is a 4 way tie. Right now at least. I voted for Yakuza 3 as well as I have seen numerous posts about the minigames in that series. 

I also really enjoyed seeing others running through Splasher with ExistentialSolid and it looks like our little subcommunity is growing with each subsequent game. ?

• Like 3