ExistentialSolid's "Please Destroy Me" Detour

ExistentialSolid

New Nomination List ~ Poll #1  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following games would you like to see next?

• Moon Hunters
    • Attacking Zegeta 2
    • GoNNer 2
    • XPosed Reloaded
    • Mr. Driller: DrillLand

Sinvicta is the best person to watch play boi.

Also you have to take pills every run to find out what they are. Also the walls that break are secret rooms. After playing so much I know exactly where the secret room is every time. Super secret room tho not so much. Pretty sure it's on the right side of where the boss is on the map. Not next to it, but on that side of map. It's usually next to two or 4 rooms. Sometimes next to one but rarely.

Also you can use the mirror to change your appearance or use a bonb and blow it up to get pills. Sometimes cards come out.

You gotta know which space bar items helps get good items as well. Like the card maker or the pill maker. If you pick one up then all you will pick up will be that type of item, so all cards or all pills.

It's crazy how much it takes to plat this game. I was on a roll with greed mode but I stopped playing. I need that holy mantle on the lost. I think I'm at 600 coins donated.

Well I'm actually trying to 100% isaac but no pressure luckily. Then there is repentance coming out in 4 days! Not on ps4 tho but Q3 this year the dev said. Can't wait to see what there is in this new add on! Good time to play boi around this time for sure! Gotta get better for this new dlc. Haha. 

Can't wait to see how far you'll go by 31st!

69th post! Nice!

Edited by freeman4200
  • Like 1

Nice progress you did there in only your first week at the game. As someone who has done everything except The Lost, I think I can give you some tips and answer some of the doubts I think you still have:

1. The best way of learning what items do is by using them, obviously, and nothing makes you learn more than having an item completely destroy a good run because it doesn't mix well with your build or simply because it is absolute trash. However, there are so many items that you may forget their effect, or you might confuse them with a similar one, or you find yourself in a run so good that you are afraid of picking up anything just in case, potentially missing even better objects. For those things, I recommend you to start using the cheat sheet platinumgod at some point, where you can look for items based on their appearance (colour, shape, object, etc.) and get what it is and what it does. You can check there the effect of runes and cards as well. It comes in handy.

2. About Secret Rooms: There are two types of them, regular secret rooms and super secret rooms. You'll slowly get the feel of where they are, but basically you want to know that the regular ones are typically adjacent to three or four rooms, and super ones can be accessed from only one room that tends to be near the floor boss. Also, you want to know that secret rooms shall be accessed from all rooms adjacent to it, so if you have a spot for a potential secret room because it is next to three rooms but one of them has got a pit where the secret door could be opened with a bomb, it can't be it. Look for another potential spot. Oh, and secret rooms are a very useful way of getting into key-locked rooms when you have no keys but lots of bombs.

3. Insert as many coins in the Donation Machine as you can: You will get very interesting rewards from it, for example store upgrades that increase the number of available items for you to purchase, and some good items that you'll be able to buy at the store, such as the candles, which do a lot of damage, and the stopwatch (999 coins), that will put every single enemy in slow motion. Donating will sometimes jam the machine, so you can't wait for a very good run with lots of coins to donate, because there's a chance (and it does happen, I'm telling ya) of jamming it after one or two coins. When you get to 999 and get the stopwatch, DON'T put another coin, it will overflow in a very dramatic way (exploding) and with reset the count to zero. Instead, leave it at 999 and bomb it in future runs to get some spare coins when needed.

4. Do some of the Challenges to give yourself a break from the regular gameplay, and also in order to unlock some good items. You can look at the wiki and see which unlocks what; some are good, some are not worth it.

5. In order to reduce the painful almost-ensured post-game grind (assuming you're not doing the DLCs, with them it is easier), I'm going to give you some wise words: If you ever come across a Book of Revelations in the first or second floor (i.e. in the Basement/Cellar) for the love of God keep it, use it on every floor and try to reach the 8th floor. In short, there are two in-game achievements that are a pain to get, and those require to form a Super Meat Boy and a Bandage Girl, which require four cubes of meat and four balls of bandages respectively in a single run. Those objects are rewarded by the Horseman bosses, meaning that you have to fight four of them (Famine in Basement/Cellar, Pestilence in Caves/Catacombs, etc.). The chances of getting all of them at random is very slim, but the Book of Revelations, by using it on a floor, guarantees a Horseman fight at the end of the floor. The only downside to this strat is that in Utero/Womb I you can get to fight Conquest or Death. The second one will reward you with some meat or bandages, but the first one has a different fixed drop, which would kill your attempt.

And that would be everything, I'm looking forward to the next update. Keep at it!

• Like 4

On 12/19/2020 at 8:12 AM, ExistentialSolid said:

Hello everyone! I want to get absolutely destroyed courtesy of some soul-crushingly difficult games.

Wow. You've got... something. I'd say but then I'd get slammed for being insensitive. Suffice it to say that you'd made a great team-up with Lady Chou-Chou's Masochist form. I'm a complete 180 from you - I hate being challenged. Otherwise I'd have both the platinums for Persona 4 Golden and 5 vanilla by now. xD

I am sure I didn't read all of the replies, but for me, Kingdom Hearts II Critical Mode is my personal bane. Those Large Bodies can one-shot even at full health with their body slide attack. But if you want a game that has no difficulty other than soul-crushing, I can't think of any except for Dark Souls and its clones, but I'm sure someone already suggested THAT. ;)

Good luck, man. You'll NEED IT. :D

Edited by faint-magician2
  • Like 1

On 3/25/2021 at 0:38 AM, freeman4200 said:

[...]

It's crazy how much it takes to plat this game. [...]

Thanks for the tips! I'll be sure to keep them in mind! ? Besides watching part of one of Sinvicta's runs awhile back, I haven't had the chance to check out anything else on his channel but, if there are any shorter tip videos featured there, I'll definitely be watching!

Yeah, I've only learned about the Repentance DLC just recently and it definitely seems like a great time to jump in with Rebirth. :dance:
Good luck in earning the 100% (I know you can do it)!

On 3/28/2021 at 10:47 AM, FrediPy_ said:

Nice progress you did there in only your first week at the game. As someone who has done everything except The Lost, I think I can give you some tips and answer some of the doubts I think you still have: [...]

These tips are fantastic; thank you for taking the time to put all of this together! :highfive:

I'll be referring to the cheatsheet you linked when I could use some guidance, will prioritize putting money into the donation machine (without overflowing), and will especially keep an eye out for a Book of Revelations on the 1st/2nd floors!

On 3/28/2021 at 5:37 PM, faint-magician2 said:

Wow. You've got... something. I'd say but then I'd get slammed for being insensitive. Suffice it to say that you'd made a great team-up with Lady Chou-Chou's Masochist form. I'm a complete 180 from you - I hate being challenged. Otherwise I'd have both the platinums for Persona 4 Golden and 5 vanilla by now. xD

[...]

Good luck, man. You'll NEED IT. :D

In trying to figure out who Lady Chou-Chou was, I discovered Mugen Souls and fell down a rabbit hole before eventually realizing that I own Mugen Souls Z thanks to PS+ but have never touched it. xD

Surprisingly, no one has mentioned any of the soulsborne games yet but they would definitely present a challenge if nominated. 

Thank you, I'll try my best! ?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Sword said:

Do you think someone like me (never played a rogue like in my life) would be able to find it manageable? 

You didn't ask me but you should be fine honestly, the fact that you can save scum should take out all the pressure from potentially dying. If you have proper motivation and do some research you'll have a great time. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sword said:

Do you think someone like me (never played a rogue like in my life) would be able to find it manageable? 

I'll just add my 2 cents you also didn't ask for!! Agreed 100% with Miles, save scumming makes tricky games like that much less daunting! You mentioned Hyper Light Drifter as well in the UR challenge post as well, which I read in its entirety, and that is another game you can utilize save scumming if you are not above it to make the no death run quite trivial. 

With that being said, I'm very happy to hear you are stepping outside of your comfort zone a bit @Sword! From someone like me who has never really cared much to be a true completionist, as my completion % very obviously shows, I feel like I would have missed out on a ton of excellent games that I didn't actually plan to see through til the end. Glad to have you on board!

Edited by Joe Dubz
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Sword said:

(though I suppose one might say it would be "unethical" but mehhh).

Agreed, my whole theory on this is that devs shouldn't include such options in their games if they don't want us to utilize them! If you take a look at Nuclear Throne, that would be a good example of a similar style of game with no option to save scum. Hence the rarity being extremely low as it is, as that game just gets brutal on later levels.

I'm very glad @ExistentialSolid mentioned that you would need the full completion for the UR challenge tho. I didn't even consider this and although I do have the plat, I never bothered to go for the full combo myself due to the extreme grind! Perhaps I will consider adding this in to a later tier...!

Either way, good luck @Sword and I'll be very interested to follow along with your progress ?

• Like 2

Save scum for the win! I see nothing wrong with this method, I am not a kid anymore and to lose hours on a run in vain would irk the hell out of me. I used save scumming for the Hunt is my Mistress and the other time trial in Shadow of Mordor and I still just barely made the requirements.

Good updates on Issac so far, loved the accidental boss rush bit in this last update - my hands would probably have been white-knuckled on my controller. 

• Like 1

On 3/31/2021 at 8:06 AM, ExistentialSolid said:

In trying to figure out who Lady Chou-Chou was, I discovered Mugen Souls and fell down a rabbit hole before eventually realizing that I own Mugen Souls Z thanks to PS+ but have never touched it. 

Well, if you wanna destroy yourself, Mugen Souls the original is the way to go. The trophies there are insane grinds. Not that Mugen Souls Z is any easier... :D

• Like 1

Nice update! That Satan fight with your health hidden must have been nerve wracking. I started BoI about a week and a half ago, and am unapologetically save scumming through the later stages. Even with that, it's crazy how much RNGesus can change your run with one or two good items. My successful Blue Baby Chest run took less time than many of my 8 floor runs when the game blessed me with the holy mantle, mom's knife, and super bandage girl, but I've also had runs where I got to stage 7 or 8 without a single damage up item, and gave up because my DPS made it near impossible to do the last levels.

Looking forward to update 3!

• Like 1

On 4/1/2021 at 8:34 PM, da-Noob123 said:

Save scum for the win! I see nothing wrong with this method, I am not a kid anymore and to lose hours on a run in vain would irk the hell out of me. I used save scumming for the Hunt is my Mistress and the other time trial in Shadow of Mordor and I still just barely made the requirements.

Good updates on Issac so far, loved the accidental boss rush bit in this last update - my hands would probably have been white-knuckled on my controller. 

Definitely! Save scumming can be such a life-saver; I've used it for the three Atari volumes myself, among other games, and most recently with Rive during the game's deathless run (I would have had a much harder time without it). 

Thanks! ? I was really lucky that I found such good items before stumbling into the boss rush room because I'm sure I would have been toast on any ordinary run. I can only hope the rest of the boss rush runs go as smoothly as this one (well, as smooth as stumbling can be anyway)!

On 4/2/2021 at 1:57 PM, faint-magician2 said:

Well, if you wanna destroy yourself, Mugen Souls the original is the way to go. The trophies there are insane grinds. Not that Mugen Souls Z is any easier... :D

Based on some of the 500+ hour completion estimates I've seen, I'm sure Mugen Souls would destroy me with sheer tedium. xD I hear Z can be done in much less time though (around 200 hours I think) so maybe that would be worth checking out in the future. Since the combat system is similar to the Neptunia games (I've checked out mk2, V, and VII), it's not really as intimidating as something like Disgaea so at least I would be able to get to grips with the game quickly if I give it a try someday.

On 4/2/2021 at 6:05 PM, Moridin83 said:

Nice update! That Satan fight with your health hidden must have been nerve wracking. I started BoI about a week and a half ago, and am unapologetically save scumming through the later stages. Even with that, it's crazy how much RNGesus can change your run with one or two good items. My successful Blue Baby Chest run took less time than many of my 8 floor runs when the game blessed me with the holy mantle, mom's knife, and super bandage girl, but I've also had runs where I got to stage 7 or 8 without a single damage up item, and gave up because my DPS made it near impossible to do the last levels.

Looking forward to update 3!

Thank you! :D Yeah, embarrassingly, that hidden health Satan fight took several attempts to clear thanks to poor play and poor RNG (mostly poor play) but it was definitely pretty nerve wracking the first time around! It sounds like you're making great progress with the game yourself since you've managed to beat both the Dark Room and the Chest at this point (and I'm jealous that you managed to get super bandage girl so early)! Nice work! I've had a couple runs go exactly as you've described with low DPS but I'm usually too stubborn to do the smart thing and just let the run die so I end up wasting an hour+ retrying those last few floors until I manage a clear. ?

On 4/3/2021 at 5:50 AM, Don_carlito94 said:

Very impressive list of games you have done and what a unique checklist you’ve got going with the nominations. Maybe some of these games can inspire me in the future. 

Thanks, I really appreciate it! ? You have an impressive list yourself; keep it up! 

• Like 4

The game is just too good. Even when your stats suck, you push through as far as you can or win. Makes the win mean more than when you fly through the game.

It seems edmund saw people fly through the game too much, so repentance is super fucking hard I've heard. Messed with all the items and some amazing items are nerfed which when you hear which ones, will make you to insane. 

I'm still excited to see how repentance plays. Can't wait for Q3 when it's supposed to come to ps4/ps5.

Anyways, I thought I was at 600 coins donated in greed but I guess it was 500. NOW I'm at 600 coins...I'm so close to holy mantle!

• Like 1

On 4/5/2021 at 9:06 PM, freeman4200 said:

The game is just too good. Even when your stats suck, you push through as far as you can or win. Makes the win mean more than when you fly through the game.

It seems edmund saw people fly through the game too much, so repentance is super hard I've heard. Messed with all the items and some amazing items are nerfed which when you hear which ones, will make you to insane. 

I'm still excited to see how repentance plays. Can't wait for Q3 when it's supposed to come to ps4/ps5.

Anyways, I thought I was at 600 coins donated in greed but I guess it was 500. NOW I'm at 600 coins...I'm so close to holy mantle!

While I pushed through with low stats early on, I've started to become less tolerant of bad luck; I often reset in late basement or caves because I can't be bothered to struggle for the rest of the run. I need to get lucky right away or I'll toss the run out. ?

It definitely sounds like an exciting time to be a fan of the game with Repentance recently releasing on PC and coming soon to consoles!

I've only just reached 550 coins donated in the main game so I'm not close to anything! :yay: Good luck and let us know how runs with the lost/holy mantle go! 

On 4/7/2021 at 1:31 PM, faint-magician2 said:

They're coming out with a new and final expansion, The Binding of Issac Repentance, which has even more evil bosses, more items, more mechanics and more unlocks. I am sure it will come out for PS4 soon enough. (evil laugh)

It's ridiculous to think that earning the full 100% in The Binding of Isaac may be a 400-500+ hour experience at this point. :blink:   

Edited by ExistentialSolid
  • Like 1

On 4/7/2021 at 9:47 AM, ExistentialSolid said:

There is one last thing...a mysterious locked door, prominently located in the first room of both of these floors. It looks like it requires a special key and I'm dying to figure out what's beyond it! I'll talk about how to open this door, and what lies behind it in the next update! 

The-Binding-of-Isaac-Rebirth-20210407135702

Have fun with that door. It's "special" isn't it? ?  By the way, have you found any items you keep picking up, but almost always regret? Every time I grab Bob's brain I'm mad at myself within 3 rooms.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2021 at 11:54 AM, ExistentialSolid said:

Based on some of the 500+ hour completion estimates I've seen, I'm sure Mugen Souls would destroy me with sheer tedium. 

Then you'd better stay away from FFXIV then. One trophy requires 1000 quests to be completed, and these special quests require you to spend allowances, and you only get three of these allowances every six hours of real time. :|

• Like 1

On 4/10/2021 at 3:01 PM, Moridin83 said:

Have fun with that door. It's "special" isn't it? 1f605.png  By the way, have you found any items you keep picking up, but almost always regret? Every time I grab Bob's brain I'm mad at myself within 3 rooms.

Yeah, it's a "special" door alright. ?

Oh, I regret about 20% of the items I pick up. ? Old habits die hard and I don't refer to the cheat sheet nearly as much as I should so I've ended up picking up awful items like Tiny Planet and the Tick 3-4 times each because I haven't been paying close enough attention to what they do. 

Speaking of "Bob's brain," I tend to have a rough time with most of the "buddy" items because I often either mistake the buddy or the projectiles they fire for enemies/enemy fire. It's usually safest to just assume everything is a threat but it would be nice to have a clearer indication of friendly fire so that I freak out less during battle.

On 4/10/2021 at 3:36 PM, faint-magician2 said:

Then you'd better stay away from FFXIV then. One trophy requires 1000 quests to be completed, and these special quests require you to spend allowances, and you only get three of these allowances every six hours of real time. :|

Trust me, games like FFXIV are not my thing. I barely have enough patience to grind in an ordinary RPG, let alone wait any amount of real time to complete a few mundane fetch quests and kill contracts. xD (not to bash FFXIV, I'm sure it could be a blast with the right people)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ExistentialSolid said:

Trust me, games like FFXIV are not my thing. I barely have enough patience to grind in an ordinary RPG, let alone wait any amount of real time to complete a few mundane fetch quests and kill contracts. xD (not to bash FFXIV, I'm sure it could be a blast with the right people)

(Sorry, typing with one hand  due to me tapping the button to platinum A Winters Daydream. xD)

But yeah, I love FFXIV and will probably plat it on my permanent account as you have plenty to do while waiting for levequest allowances to regenerate. I am curious to see what the PS5 trophies are with Patch 5.5. ;)

• Like 1