ExistentialSolid's "Please Destroy Me" Detour

ExistentialSolid

New Nomination List ~ Poll #1  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following games would you like to see next?

• Moon Hunters
    • Attacking Zegeta 2
    • GoNNer 2
    • XPosed Reloaded
    • Mr. Driller: DrillLand

Oh damn, looks like the game is kicking your butt lol

Good to know though that this plat is harder than people anticipated. Just curious now if the dark worlds difficulty will ramp up like in the first game, or more random (seeing as how it's procedurally generated).

Also, how are you enjoying the game so far? I really like how informative your updates are, but I'm also interested in what you actually think about them, and also for example if the challenges in a game are fun or just frustrating.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Already playing the game I see. I'll just wait until a few platinum achievers tell me how hard the game is before I'll play it.

If you don't mind me asking, why though? Aside from the aspect of "it looks interesting enough for you to play it, so play it", I'm wondering as to how accurate those opinions are going to be.

The first few plat achievers or those that are really close blasted through this game. Maybe they perceive it as difficult but it's easier for them to adapt. Who knows?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ExistentialSolid said:

I wish I could give you a helpful answer about whether the challenge in this game is enjoyable or infuriating, but I honestly don't know. I get infuriated at most difficult games 1f602.png. The problem is that my response to that emotion is inconsistent. Sometimes anger and frustration push me forward, other times they demotivate me.

Perhaps a good way to know for sure is to ask yourself if it was a good kind of challenge. In other words, are you getting more mad at yourself than the game for your failures? A personal example of a good challenge is Trackmania Turbo. I definitely raged at this game throughout, especially during the Black Series. However, I still really enjoyed them, because the difficulty may have been incredibly tough, but it was in a way that felt (mostly) fair. When I would fail a jump, or overshoot a turn, I would usually get mad at myself for being incompetent, not because it was out of my control. Conversely, an example of a bad challenge is Titanfall 2’s campaign on Master difficulty. The game became less of what it’s vision was and more like Call of Duty’s veteran difficulty, with even less cover, and the ability to cloak yourself. All you can really do is either hide in cover and pick off the enemies, or cloak yourself and run past the enemies. I got frustrated with my deaths, as I was challenged in a way that wasn’t fun to overcome.

TBOI is probably a bad kind of challenge for you, as you seem tired of going through the same rooms over and over again, while also contending with the RNG in the items you get. The challenge of The Lost would have probably pushed you to the breaking point if you didn’t decide to take a break. Perhaps you’re more motivated when you fail in a game like SMBF or Splasher than in a game like TBOI?

• Like 1

TBOI is one of those games that is pretty random, I am not sure if I like those kind of games in general.

I mean for sure, raw dexterity as a skill is a great thing, but when things are a bit too random and then you have to win by having some really good luck.

If something is hard I kind of want it to be learnable or else it doesn't seem as fair. It would be like taking an exam at school with completely random questions one hundred times and not passing it on the 100th attempt not down to skill, but that one time the questions were in my favour.

That is actually one reason I think you would have found Catherine to be a tough challenge since a lot of the block variations are random on a lot of stages. Although I feel Catherine is way fairer.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 3

I was meant to post here awhile ago whilst you were doing your other games but I never got around to it. Nice to see that you have started this instead as it's sometimes nice to change game especially if it's a new game that is well known to be hard. It let's you not miss out on it. I hope you continue to get through this. It really sounds like this one is living up to the challenge.

I'm debating on whether I should do something similar as I've been on a racing project where I hope to eventually finish all the hardest racers possible or just general ones that I'm yet to play, so I've got quite a few on the go. As some might know I'm currently doing one of the hardest hotlaps in Assetto & have been on it for a few days as using a controller is a challenge on top of what is already a ridiculously difficult game to finish. I'm quite close to a few of the hotlaps so maybe I should do something similar where I can post my progress. 

I really enjoy reading this thread as it's great to follow someone's progress on notoriously difficult games where it feels like a journey. I'm sure knowing that lots of people read this thread is already huge motivation for you. Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JohnlMatrix said:

If you don't mind me asking, why though? Aside from the aspect of "it looks interesting enough for you to play it, so play it", I'm wondering as to how accurate those opinions are going to be.

The first few plat achievers or those that are really close blasted through this game. Maybe they perceive it as difficult but it's easier for them to adapt. Who knows?

I ended up enjoying Super Meat Boy despite my real hard struggles with it. But I don’t know if I want to jump into Super Meat Boy Forever this early on. 

Awesome job to the one person who already has the platinum. If this is even more difficult, this will probably be a game I’ll put on the far back burner.

• Like 2

Awesome update as always. Once again, congrats on getting teak girl done.

I didn't have time to play the last couple of days but I made slight progress when I did. The lack of reference is something that really makes it harder to complete those no-death runs.

From what I'm seeing, some of my chunks in SMBF are harder, some are easier than yours and other people on youtube. I have to say that I don't really have a problem with path to pain but rather 1-2x and sometimes 1-4x. However, I don't have a ridiculous section in 1-5x as the one you showed us.

Either I'm missing some specific movement tech or 1-2x asks me to pull of the slightest of taps you can imagine while also being timing sensitive. It's still way too inconsistent.

Just one quick question: My clinic warp zone is in the dark world, 2-6x. Don't know how many different variations there are. Mine is visible but behind seemingly indestrucible walls from both sides and the top is closed as well. If I get too low I die, so approaching from the bottom doesn't seem to be an option as well. Maybe someone can share their strategy if they encountered this.

Checking youtube or google didn't help as people's warp zones were located elsewhere or they didn't even show how they got there.

• Like 1

Hey you changed games. Good. TBOI is such a boring game. Awesome job as always!

I would like to replace my recommendation from Dariusburst to Ys Origin. Although I think it would never win the poll I would be really interested to see what you think about that game. I personally think it’s tough as nails. I would gladly trade in my SMB, Trials Fusion and Trackmania Turbo platinums combined to be able to finish this game. I really don’t understand the platinum rarity at all.

Anyway, good luck with SMB Forever.

• Like 2

Damn, it was nice giving updates for boi along with you. Helped me keep pushing. But I love boi so it ain't hard to not want to play it. I finally beat isaac with the lost and almost beat satan. That last satan phase never was hard but those flying worms that blow up are the worst.

Also I finally unlocked the keeper by donating 1000 coins in greed or greedier. Greedier is greed but hard mode and another boss phase. I finally know the last phase so it seriously looks like I'm going to be able to 100% boi someday. The plat is getting closer everyday! 

Hopefully you come back to boi quicker than you are thinking!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ExistentialSolid said:

Thanks, I'm sure you'll have Teak Girl done soon as well! 1f604.png

Yeah, chunks seem to be really inconsistent in difficulty. It seems like there are always one or two chunks per level with a ridiculously high level of difficulty surrounded by more mundane busywork chunks. I wonder how long it will take for players to comprehensively compare chunk difficulty and find seeds that are the easiest/most optimal for the deathless runs. With how small the player base is, I don't think I'll be expecting much anytime soon.

If you have a screenshot (or video) of the warp zone portal, you could try posting it here and see if any of us can puzzle it out. Worst case, I think you'll just be able to find another world 2 warp zone in NG+ if you're not able to reach the one in your current game. I similarly have a pacifier in 2-2x between two sawblades that I have no idea how to reach, but I think I'll worry about it another day. 1f605.png

Thanks, I hope so^^. Don't have that much time to play right now. I have gotten better. I mangaged to trim down the deaths heavily and doing some levels deathless within a run isn't much of a problem anymore. It's just that some sections really give me trouble because they are so inconsistent for me. Either I haven't found the right strategy yet or I'm still not skilled enough for them.

I think we can agree that one shouldn't try the no-death runs in NG+ because of the potential of the increased difficulty. The dev Tommy Refenes said that each chunk is associated with a number that indicates the difficulty of that specific chunk. It ranges from 1 to 7 with 1 being the easiest and 7 being the hardest difficulty-wise. In your first playthrough the chunks seem to be assembled out of a pool where the max difficulty is a 4. So you only encounter chunks ranging from 1 to 4 in a NG. In a NG+ however that pool contains chunks of all difficulty levels.

Could you please tell me how you do your GIFs on these updates? I'll try to show the section if I don't manage to get it soon. Thanks :-)

Edited by JohnlMatrix
  • Like 1

It’s nice to see some in depth explanation for SMBF. I’m currently playing the first SMB so I’m not even going to think about attempting Forever before I’m done with first one. Really curious to see what you think about the difficulty of SMBF once you’ve become the Ultimate God (just quoting the title). I’m confident that you’ll eventually get there with the amount of platformers you’ve done. Good luck :) 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, ExistentialSolid said:

Sure thing! I'll try to lay it out step by step. Unfortunately, it's going to be more effort than posting a video.

Wow, thank you :-). That is pretty detailed. I might make use of this in the future.

4 hours ago, Don_carlito94 said:

It’s nice to see some in depth explanation for SMBF. I’m currently playing the first SMB so I’m not even going to think about attempting Forever before I’m done with first one. Really curious to see what you think about the difficulty of SMBF once you’ve become the Ultimate God (just quoting the title). I’m confident that you’ll eventually get there with the amount of platformers you’ve done. Good luck :) 

I also think @ExistentialSolid has got what it takes to obtain the plat in SMBF.

Just to let off some steam:

Teak Girl is driving me kinda nuts. The amount of precision required during some chunks is insane. In SMB you get comfortable with the levels after a while and when attempting the no-death runs you obviously start with those that you have the most problems with. Ideally the number of said levels is pretty small. In SMBF you only have 6 instead of 20 levels but the length of a run should be about the same given the much longer IL size in SMBF. In dark Chipper Grove I have only two levels that are kind of consistent, 1-1x and 1-3x. And it's, as I said, kind of consistent. They are certainly no freebies. Then there are the other 4 levels which I sometimes play through flawlessly and sometimes not. The death count isn't all too high but at the moment I feel like I'm far away of stringing together a run where every piece falls into place.

Also I have already played the dark versions of the Clinic and Tetanusville. Good lord, this won't be any easier than dark Chipper Grove. I'm eager to see you guys also going for it. Unfortunately the differences in our playthroughs brought along by the seed system don't really allow comparisons apart from some chunks every now and then.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey dude, I was really glad to see this thread pop up in again in recent posts! I was recently wondering if you’d ever re-open it. It sounds like you truly needed that break away and seems like you’ve come back fresh and reignited. I hope you enjoy yourself going forward, and good luck with Assetto Corsa!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ExistentialSolid said:

As I was looking for something new to sink my teeth into, I had a talk with @Don_carlito94, talented racing aficionado and all-around great person. It was through that very conversation that my sights were set on a game that may finally destroy me... Assetto Corsa.

In an effort to chase this all-too-fleeting feeling of uncertainty, I knew I needed to play something that is completely outside of my area of expertise. Assetto Corsa fit the bill perfectly, and, after 120+ hours of play, I'm confident that this is going to be the most difficult challenge I've faced yet.

I'm sorry this update has dragged on for so long. Thank you for taking the time to read this, and, as always, thank you all for sticking with me! 1f604.png

I'm so glad you are back dude! You have been one of the biggest inspirations for me on these forums & it's nice to generally see you back ready for more. I wish you the best of luck with Assetto man! I've seen you have got quite far with it recently & have reached the infamous part of the game. I'm going to be really interested in your updates for Assetto since it is an extremely challenging game that can push players to the absolute limit. The one thing I'm more happy with though is your general presence on these forums again.

• Like 1