ExistentialSolid's "Please Destroy Me" Detour

ExistentialSolid

New Nomination List ~ Poll #1  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following games would you like to see next?

• Moon Hunters
    • Attacking Zegeta 2
    • GoNNer 2
    • XPosed Reloaded
    • Mr. Driller: DrillLand

Huzzah, great to have you back my friend! I hope you are well and it's great to hear from you once again ?

Yes sir, I have been getting my ass handed to me on SMBF and let's just say it has been a journey so far ? That shortcut you found is divine, talk about helping out with one of the craziest sets of levels ?

Anyway I look very much forward to your future updates as always, and happy ? hunting!

• Like 3

Was waiting for that checklist resurrection by the minute, and as always - another great write up as usual ? so don’t put too much pressure on yourself ?

Wasn’t aware that you’ve already put so many hours into AC, regardless I wish you the best of luck! 

I am also quite interested in reading about your thoughts on SMBF in the coming updates, this is another platformer I want to try and conquer at some point. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ExistentialSolid said:

It's great to hear from you too! You'll have to let me know what you think of SMBF when you finish! I've gotta know if I'm alone in thinking that the dark worlds are all similarly difficult or if that was just a delusional excuse I've come up with to justify not finishing it. 1f605.png For me, they all seem to take around 10-15 hours of grinding (including the initial route paving process) and, thread issues aside, I've just been too lazy to finish #4 and #5 now that I know what the process entails. Even though dark worlds #2 and #3 were no more difficult than #1 and I have no reason to believe #4 and #5 will be any different, I still look ahead and groan knowing I have to sit through another 20-30 hours to clean them up (not to mention the NG+ pacifier grind). 1f62d.png

Yes sir, I say your process is very similar to how it has been for me too!! It really takes a tonne of time and devotion to get it down. Plus like you said, for me, there is a good few of those hours just paving the routes to take, in the least risky ways possible! I've noticed with some sections, if I have been struggling to nail down a specific part, often times there is a slightly easier way to go about them.

At any rate, it's good to know I am not the only one kinda struggling because those Dark Worlds are just God-awful hard! It was such an extreme jump in difficulty going from the Light Worlds, and honestly even OxDEADBEEF only took me maybe just under 10 hours of practice. Compared to the Dark stuff, everything else was relatively easy by comparison.

But for sure, I will certainly keep you posted and good luck tackling the last 2 worlds, you've got this even if it takes a while! I know I'm just trying to pace myself at this point, because it feels overwhelming at times and I tend to get frustrated when things repeatedly aren't going my way ?

• Like 1

Welcome back. I have enjoyed keeping up with this thread. I have to agree with Trumpet that you may be putting

more pressure on yourself than you need to as far writing goes. There is great banter back and forth between everyone who participates in this thread. That is the sign of a healthy place. Lots of people play hard games, and/or can write well. You have established a really good community and that is much rarer. Even if you are struggling, and need to go at a slower pace people here I think will still have a good time. 

• Like 2

I presume this checklist is strictly for trophy challenges only? Not sure what you have and haven't played as I'm too lazy to look through all your games. From the ones I've played I would say go for Ninja Gaiden. You can pick up the master collection on the PS4 which has 3 games bundled into one and they have no online trophies. If you want to play the real NG then play Sigma 2 on the PS3 its very inexpensive but you'll need help or assistance with the hardest team missions which I could help you with.

The PS4 versions are much easier to complete however the hardest PS4 Ninja Gaiden is Sigma 1. Best of luck to you on your future goals and challenges!

• Like 1

I see you've returned after a few months absence on this thread.

I'm working on Mighty No 9 at the moment. I can see why it's a sub 1 percent platinum. Lots of insta kill locations, you have to beat the game in under a hour, you have to get a S rank for a level, you have to play on Hyper difficulty, and you have to do all the challenges, including the one for beating the entire game without dying once.

This might be harder than Max Payne 3.

• Like 1

On 16/09/2021 at 6:18 PM, ExistentialSolid said:

Thanks! Being able to inspire anyone to do anything is always going to sound like such a surreal concept to me, but I'm honored to make even the smallest difference. I watched you recently make your own jump to the checklists and it looks fantastic! A list focused entirely around one genre is so cool to see and you do such a great job of responding to everyone. You can bet I'll be checking in on your progress as I start getting more comfortable poking around in the forums again! I wish you the best of luck (not that you need it, you're already crushing it)!      

As for Assetto Corsa, I've been looking forward to the hotlaps for weeks and I'm eager to dive in and get utterly demolished. This may be the game that breaks me and I couldn't be more excited to see it happen!

Yes absolutely in fact it was this very thread here that really got me not just into the trophy checklist part of the site but the actual forum in general. I've been on this site for quite awhile but mainly used it for general things without being too involved. I actually think one of my very first posts was the one that I made in this thread after we spoke originally as I really enjoyed reading someone doing something like this. I've been around the trophy checklist part a lot more recently, which has meant that I've met so many incredible & humble people here. I really appreciate those words as I really have thought a lot this week about mine, which is why I haven't really posted in it the past few days. I've just been passionate for a long time now & it was like I needed somewhere to write up about the experiences I've had so I think I've found it. I can't wait for what you do now as you are extremely humble & passionate for this. I think your write ups on here are fantastic & I know what you mean when you think that something might not be good enough, but what you've done so far has been absolutely amazing!

2 hours ago, ExistentialSolid said:

Driver AI is something that deserves special mention because, even when set to Very Easy, they can provide for some stiff competition. I quickly found that, if I did not take the lead early on in a race, winning would be nearly impossible. The AI's lead would tend to grow, despite my best efforts to keep up, until I was a sputtering mess 20 seconds off pace. Admittedly, my poor performance may have something to do with my preference for driving on Automatic rather than Manual. I've never actually learned how to drive Manual, so I chose to stick with what I've known even if that preference would ultimately cost me.

Once the tuning is done prior to the event, you should be set to start drifting your car like a lunatic. Thankfully, you don't need to be a drifting god to get these events done, but you will need to have a good understanding of a strategy called "snaking." Snaking is essentially when you initiate a drift and overcorrect to the extent that you start drifting again in the opposing direction. It is easiest to learn snaking on a straight road as each drift takes you from one side of the road to the other without you needing to compensate for bends in the road. Here's a quick demonstration of safe, low-speed snaking:

My next update will hopefully be posted in the next 7 days and will include details on the first 10 Race special events. I'm sorry this update was so long-winded, but thank you for checking it out regardless! As always, thank you for sticking with me! 1f604.png

This is interesting as I haven't tried much of this part of the game yet so it's nice to read up about it, especially as it's meant to be quite long to get through. The snaking you do in drifting is extremely helpful in other games as well so this is a really useful thing to learn in general. I haven't tried the drifting yet but snaking is something that is at times necessary depending on what game you go for. If I had to say something about automatic & manual though it's that I think the hotlaps on this game will require you to learn manual as the times really are ridiculous. I don't think anyone has in fact been able to do the hotlaps with automatic at all. I also chat to @Don_carlito94 about this game quite a lot as well as a few others, so it's nice to understand more about a game that is considered to be harder than any other one. This game has actually changed the way I play in general for a quite a long time now & it's interesting how a game does that. It's looking good though dude, you've made some fantastic progress!

Edited by Destructor-8
  • Like 2

Nice explanation to AC, you’re doing well so far ?

Since there aren’t any trophy guides for the game (not what I know of), there isn’t too much information on how to approach it. 

I know you are driving with manual transmission at the moment, so it’ll only be a matter of time before it becomes second nature to you - it’s practically (near) impossible to gold some of the harder hotlaps later on with automatic. Good luck and I look forward to read more of your updates ?

• Like 1

@ExistentialSolid Eventually I would like to get round to Ninja Gaiden Sigma myself, perhaps I will save it for a milestone platinum. I know quite a few non-trophy related challenges that would be worthy additions. I'd argue some of these require as much skill if not more than trophy challenges. I'm currently attempting one of them myself, well on and off I don't play the game as much as I'd like to as I'm too busy with other projects.

Non-trophy Challenges

Some of these games you may already own or you may have already completed them without knowing regardless these are a few non-trophy related challenges that I can think of, off the top of my head. If anyone knows of any others then please feel free to add your suggestions! 

Challenge 1: The Ultimate Flex (Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled)

CTR-NF Wallpaper HD: crashbandicoot

The flex consists of 6 increasingly difficult challenges for your convenience I will explain what each piece is and how to unlock it. If you've already platinumed the game then your already a third of the way there. Please note these will be listed in order of difficulty from easiest to hardest. I'm currently attempting this challenge.

Dr Nefarious Tropy (Playable Character) - Simply defeat N.Tropy's time trial records on all CTR & CNK tracks

Legendary Skin Digital Dr Nefarious Tropy - Defeat Nitrous Oxide's time trial records on all CTR & CNK tracks

Champion Kart - Defeat Oxide's time trial records on all CTR, CNK & Bonus tracks (Excluding Retro Stadium) 

Relic Platinum Paint - Within Adventure mode earn a Platinum Relic on all races (18 total)

Emperor Velo Champion Kart Decal - Defeat Emperor Velo's time trial records on all CTR, CNK & Bonus tracks (Excluding Retro Stadium) 39 tracks total

Master Wheels - Beat the developers time trial records on all CTR, CNK & Bonus tracks (Excluding Retro Stadium) 39 tracks total

• Like 2

Challenge 2: Aurum/Gold/Skullface Skins, Sigil Orb & All Master levels cleared legitimately (Doom Eternal)

AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT Review - DOOM Eternal | TechPowerUp

Doom Eternal has some very difficult/skill based challenges and rewards that far exceed trophies. There are quite a few unlockables up for grabs if you wish to test your skills but these are not for the faint-hearted and are probably HARDER than the infamous Mein Leben trophy for Wolfenstein 2. But how does one get these unlocks, here's the 411 street-side!

Aurum Skin - Clear Doom Eternal's first expansion titled 'The Ancient Gods' on Ultra-Nightmare difficulty. This mode is PERMADEATH and you will take a lot of damage if you get hit.

Gold Skin - Clear the main campaign of Doom Eternal on Ultra-Nightmare difficulty to receive the Gold Skin.

Skullface Skin + Sigil Orb - Clear the second DLC expansion 'The Ancient gods Part 2' of Doom Eternal on Ultra-Nightmare difficulty to receive the

Skullface Skin and the Sigil Orb.

Master levels UN difficulty + Golden Shotgun - Master levels are unlocked once you clear Doom eternal's main story campaign on any difficulty. At the time of posting there are currently 4 master levels with more on the way but what is a Master level? In a nutshell a ML is a regular level on steroids! To unlock the Golden Shotgun you need to clear the Super Gore Nest ML on Ultra Nightmare. To give you an insight on how difficult these are here's a video!

If you would like me to provide more examples then let me know!

Edited by LancashireLad87
  • Like 1

On 9/19/2021 at 10:41 PM, AJ_Radio said:

I see you've returned after a few months absence on this thread.

I'm working on Mighty No 9 at the moment. I can see why it's a sub 1 percent platinum. Lots of insta kill locations, you have to beat the game in under a hour, you have to get a S rank for a level, you have to play on Hyper difficulty, and you have to do all the challenges, including the one for beating the entire game without dying once.

This might be harder than Max Payne 3.

Hopefully you're enjoying MN9 more than I did. ? Being able to dash nonstop with little cooldown was one of the only things I had fun with. Almost every other design choice turned me off of the game pretty quickly.

Speaking of, I'll never understand the logic behind the 5/10 difficulty rating MN9 received on both PSNP and PST's trophy guides. I know difficulty is subjective, but I'd argue for a 7 minimum with an 8 being more realistic (the deathless clear alone requires tons of practice). I know some guide writers like to push for low numbers to encourage people to pick up the game (or maybe just to show off), but MN9 was hardly ever worth a player's time to begin with. Aggravating level design + instakill galore is just not a good time.

Max Payne 3, on the other hand, is one for the regret list. It's one of the few games I own a physical copy of, but never once turned on. With online dead, I guess there's not much reason to anymore. 

On 9/19/2021 at 10:49 PM, Destructor-8 said:

This is interesting as I haven't tried much of this part of the game yet so it's nice to read up about it, especially as it's meant to be quite long to get through. The snaking you do in drifting is extremely helpful in other games as well so this is a really useful thing to learn in general. I haven't tried the drifting yet but snaking is something that is at times necessary depending on what game you go for. If I had to say something about automatic & manual though it's that I think the hotlaps on this game will require you to learn manual as the times really are ridiculous. I don't think anyone has in fact been able to do the hotlaps with automatic at all. I also chat to @Don_carlito94 about this game quite a lot as well as a few others, so it's nice to understand more about a game that is considered to be harder than any other one. This game has actually changed the way I play in general for a quite a long time now & it's interesting how a game does that. It's looking good though dude, you've made some fantastic progress!

Yeah, for the most part, the hotlaps definitely seem to require manual. ? There are a handful that look easy enough to be cleared on automatic, but the most brutal ones might be impossible without and I have no plans of trying to prove otherwise (I'll settle for having done all of the Alien races on automatic thank you very much ?).

Snaking is something I feel like I've done a million times in racing games over the years, though it was typically only to squeeze a few extra points out of the scoring system since most other games that have drift events do a good job of discouraging the tactic. That said, the tactic's name, "snaking," is one I wasn't familiar with. I had only heard of "snaking" prior as a cool trick/speedrun strategy in F-Zero GX (here).

I've been wondering if Assetto Corsa will stand any chance of converting me from preferring automatic to preferring manual in most racing games going forward, but we'll have to wait and see how things turn out. I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying the updates so far! 

On 9/20/2021 at 8:15 AM, Don_carlito94 said:

Nice explanation to AC, you’re doing well so far 1f44c.png

Since there aren’t any trophy guides for the game (not what I know of), there isn’t too much information on how to approach it. 

I know you are driving with manual transmission at the moment, so it’ll only be a matter of time before it becomes second nature to you - it’s practically (near) impossible to gold some of the harder hotlaps later on with automatic. Good luck and I look forward to read more of your updates 1f44d.png

Thanks! It's been a fun ride so far and I'm looking forward to figuring out how to present the hotlaps going forward. 

There's actually a decent Achievement guide for the game over on TrueAchievements (guide link), but it makes some unusual claims, especially regarding the Alien race difficulty, and doesn't really go in-depth with any of the special events. It did teach me how the time trials worked along with how to exploit them though, so I'm still glad to have found it. 

Definitely! Adapting to manual has been a struggle, but I'll be talking more about my attempts to transition from automatic to manual once we get to the hotlap updates!

On 9/20/2021 at 8:49 AM, LancashireLad87 said:

Eventually I would like to get round to Ninja Gaiden Sigma myself, perhaps I will save it for a milestone platinum. I know quite a few non-trophy related challenges that would be worthy additions. I'd argue some of these require as much skill if not more than trophy challenges. I'm currently attempting one of them myself, well on and off I don't play the game as much as I'd like to as I'm too busy with other projects.

Non-trophy Challenges

Some of these games you may already own or you may have already completed them without knowing regardless these are a few non-trophy related challenges that I can think of, off the top of my head. If anyone knows of any others then please feel free to add your suggestions! 

I like the idea of "non-trophy challenges," but their inherent obscurity would make completing one feel kinda trivial for me personally. Most challenges I would have any interest in attempting would need some notoriety to get me invested. Full game speedruns would be something I might be interested in someday since most players would understand right away what the goal of the challenge is, but other, more creative, feats I'd rather set aside for now.

I appreciate the thought though and I'll definitely consider it in the future! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ExistentialSolid said:

Hopefully you're enjoying MN9 more than I did. 1f602.png Being able to dash nonstop with little cooldown was one of the only things I had fun with. Almost every other design choice turned me off of the game pretty quickly.

Speaking of, I'll never understand the logic behind the 5/10 difficulty rating MN9 received on both PSNP and PST's trophy guides. I know difficulty is subjective, but I'd argue for a 7 minimum with an 8 being more realistic (the deathless clear alone requires tons of practice). I know some guide writers like to push for low numbers to encourage people to pick up the game (or maybe just to show off), but MN9 was hardly ever worth a player's time to begin with. Aggravating level design + instakill galore is just not a good time.

Max Payne 3, on the other hand, is one for the regret list. It's one of the few games I own a physical copy of, but never once turned on. With online dead, I guess there's not much reason to anymore.

The guy on PST is a fucking beast. His account (psnprofiles.com/ThanatosNinja2) is pretty comparable with yours, actually better in fact. I will never have that many ultra rares or hard games on my profile.

Anyway, I will say this. You need some serious fucking balls and a hella lot of patience to stack Mighty No 9. If I want a complete torture session I will just play Mighty No 9 on the PS3. No thanks, I already took that off my backlog.

I'm just missing Hyper difficulty, the Boss Rush and of course, the challenges. This is a 7 out of 10 minimum, but realistically a 8 out of 10 for me difficulty wise because I choke up a lot.

Shame you missed out on Max Payne 3. That makes me more grateful I have the platinum and 100%.

• Like 1

On 25/09/2021 at 9:22 AM, ExistentialSolid said:

Yeah, for the most part, the hotlaps definitely seem to require manual. 1f605.png There are a handful that look easy enough to be cleared on automatic, but the most brutal ones might be impossible without and I have no plans of trying to prove otherwise (I'll settle for having done all of the Alien races on automatic thank you very much 1f602.png).

Snaking is something I feel like I've done a million times in racing games over the years, though it was typically only to squeeze a few extra points out of the scoring system since most other games that have drift events do a good job of discouraging the tactic. That said, the tactic's name, "snaking," is one I wasn't familiar with. I had only heard of "snaking" prior as a cool trick/speedrun strategy in F-Zero GX (here).

I've been wondering if Assetto Corsa will stand any chance of converting me from preferring automatic to preferring manual in most racing games going forward, but we'll have to wait and see how things turn out. I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying the updates so far!

Yeah same here with the snaking as I never really knew what to say it was even though I usually do it in many games. I watched that video there on snaking & was pretty cool to see that. I found that manual is pretty useful for any games I play now as at first I didn't like it but now I do use it whenever I can. Yeah it would be interesting to see if you prefer manual afterwards.

1 hour ago, ExistentialSolid said:

Since I started writing this update, I've ended up making a lot more progress on the hotlaps then I was expecting, so I've been considering introducing them early so that I don't bore you all to death with these races. Would you all prefer that I introduce the hotlaps (along with my struggle to adapt to manual) in the next update or should I finish up the race mini-guide right away before moving on? 

In either case, I'm planning to post the next update in 4-5 days. Thank you all for sticking with me and I'll see you soon! 1f642.png

This is a great update that is really helpful & it looks like you are making some great progress as well. Nice to see you are getting through many of these in a few days. This is looking really good so far & I can't wait for the next one.

Edited by Destructor-8
  • Like 1