ExistentialSolid's "Please Destroy Me" Detour

ExistentialSolid

New Nomination List ~ Poll #1  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following games would you like to see next?

• Moon Hunters
    • Attacking Zegeta 2
    • GoNNer 2
    • XPosed Reloaded
    • Mr. Driller: DrillLand

Excellent job on building up the suspense so far! Somehow I still remember the term 'epistolary novel' from my literature classes in college and this reads like the first installment of a modern one :D (the one we read was from 18th c. and came in the form of a succession of letters).

And a great cliffhanger.. ?

• Like 1

Damn, learning how to drive stick on your own with a racing sim... When others take hours and hours of driving lessons with a professional... The struggle is understandable! ? 

To be honest though, the Hotlaps, once you've gotten used to the mechanics / controls, sound like a lot of fun... trying to shave off those last couple of milliseconds to nab that gold... Exciting! Looking forward to the next update! :D  

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, ExistentialSolid said:

As my lap counter continued to climb, pessimistic and delusional thoughts started to win the war waging in my mind. In that moment, I felt like I could have spent another 200 hours and have been no closer to the gold medal. How were the other 34 hotlaps going to go if I couldn't even get close to a gold medal in one of the easiest ones? With my mental state in shambles, I took a turn too aggressively and veered off track. I immediately turned the game off, closed (and nearly deleted) the draft of my thread revival post, and went to bed dejected and furious with myself. 

In a mere 4 hours, I had been broken.

I haven't tried the easier hotlaps as I've only done one of the hardest ones but what I will say is that it will be completely normal to spend 15hrs getting to barely within a second of some of the times then you can spend another 15hrs to finally get it. It took about a week to do one of the hotlaps lol. It's looking good though so keep going. 

• Like 2

Alright, thanks to you Assetto Corsa has been added to my backlog! If I didn’t have a few games I’m wanting to clean up first I think I would’ve booted this up pretty soon and joined your struggle! 

27 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

To be honest though, the Hotlaps, once you've gotten used to the mechanics / controls, sound like a lot of fun... trying to shave off those last couple of milliseconds to nab that gold... Exciting! Looking forward to the next update! :D  

It really is, in racing. To be completely at one with the car and when every piece of the lap flows together - braking points, apex’s, lifting off and applying the throttle through a string of corners - it’s a very satisfying feeling! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ExistentialSolid said:

I know exactly what you mean; those last few tenths of a second can often double your playtime before you even realize what's happened. 1f602.png Even if they can be incredibly time-consuming, these hotlaps have been some of the most satisfying events I've ever experienced in a racing game, so I'll keep pushing until I either destroy every last hotlap or get destroyed in the process!

Yeah exactly, that experience is what makes it better & I'm looking forward to seeing which ones you post about since it will be a great read to see how you go on each one. I'm also really liking your updates in general as you go into so much stuff that I wouldn't think of & you do it so well. If you decide to go for another racer eventually then I recommend to go for Dirt Rally 2.0 since that is the only one that is as hard & it's such a fun game. I have mentioned it before but I have found Dirt Rally 2.0 to be not only the best racing game I've ever played but the most amazing experience I've had in a game.

Edited by Destructor-8
  • Like 1

Beautiful stuff.

I think it's a really good idea that you started using manual transmission because, well yes, you struggle a lot in the beginning, but once you get used to it you get a better control of the car: You can short-shift at the exit of a corner to get better traction, sliding less and going earlier on the throttle, you can control your gears while braking to get a better rotation into a corner… and in general driving with MT is more enjoyable and satisfying in my opinion. And quicker, of course.

Speaking of braking, I'm aware that you do it already but I'd suggest to practice trail braking a bit more, which is the fancy name for gradually lifting your brake as you turn into a corner. At Monza and with that car it might be not as important, since the car seems to have a nice handling and there are very few corners, but in other tracks such as Brands Hatch it can really make all the difference. For example, in the Lesmo 2 corner (1:02 in your Monza hotlap clip) you can brake slightly later, gradually lift your brake, which helps rotate the car, and you can hit the apex with higher speed or better orientation, thus gaining 1 or 2 tenths by doing so, which over a lap could be a lot.  So yeah, essentially being more gradual in your brake lifting. Your brake bias has to be to the front for this to work, which you have, and you'll notice it better for lightweight cars.

I also think sometimes you can get a little earlier on the throttle (not full throttle, but) without spinning the car, but that's just an impression, it's not me who is driving the car :P and if you get used to handling the car using little-to-no traction control you will also gain a lot of time. TCS is very convenient because it's hard to bin the car while it's on, but the price to pay is that it slows you down quite a bit. 

Apart from that, I think that your driving is really solid and that you will manage to do this. Looking forward to the next update. Best of luck!

• Like 2

ExistentialSolid you can write quite the yarn. While nowhere near as challenging I'm sure, your descriptions of shaving off seconds and even milliseconds reminds me of going for the racing medals in the various Batmobiles in Arkham Knight. Your right about the different feel of one car versus another. For some of the races I couldn't complete it in Batmobile A but I could in B and C. Lap after lap after lap attempt after attempt but the euphoric feeling when you finally beat that time felt great.

Keep up the good work. 

• Like 1

On 10/6/2021 at 9:35 AM, FrediPy_ said:

Beautiful stuff.

I think it's a really good idea that you started using manual transmission because, well yes, you struggle a lot in the beginning, but once you get used to it you get a better control of the car: You can short-shift at the exit of a corner to get better traction, sliding less and going earlier on the throttle, you can control your gears while braking to get a better rotation into a corner… and in general driving with MT is more enjoyable and satisfying in my opinion. And quicker, of course.

Speaking of braking, I'm aware that you do it already but I'd suggest to practice trail braking a bit more, which is the fancy name for gradually lifting your brake as you turn into a corner. At Monza and with that car it might be not as important, since the car seems to have a nice handling and there are very few corners, but in other tracks such as Brands Hatch it can really make all the difference. For example, in the Lesmo 2 corner (1:02 in your Monza hotlap clip) you can brake slightly later, gradually lift your brake, which helps rotate the car, and you can hit the apex with higher speed or better orientation, thus gaining 1 or 2 tenths by doing so, which over a lap could be a lot.  So yeah, essentially being more gradual in your brake lifting. Your brake bias has to be to the front for this to work, which you have, and you'll notice it better for lightweight cars.

I also think sometimes you can get a little earlier on the throttle (not full throttle, but) without spinning the car, but that's just an impression, it's not me who is driving the car :P and if you get used to handling the car using little-to-no traction control you will also gain a lot of time. TCS is very convenient because it's hard to bin the car while it's on, but the price to pay is that it slows you down quite a bit. 

Apart from that, I think that your driving is really solid and that you will manage to do this. Looking forward to the next update. Best of luck!

Something I'll always value from my time with Assetto Corsa is how it managed to be the racing game to finally push me out of my comfort zone. I'm obviously not a die-hard enthusiast, but I've been playing racing games all my life and the one thing I've never had the patience to do was learn how to drive with a manual transmission. I see the choice between Automatic and Manual and mindlessly select Automatic as though I were at a restaurant picking out my favorite food for the 700th time. But, as you've mentioned, there's a world of difference between the two especially in regards to how it feels to control the car; it's exciting to feel that difference and to see that I still have a lot to learn and a long way to go before I ever approach mastery.

Short-shifting is something I've experimented with without knowing it had a designated term, but I've had mixed results in practice and eventually came to the conclusion (which I'm now certain is false based on your expertise) that the benefits of short-shifting are negated by the reduced rate of acceleration I'm able to get out of the corner when I'm stuck in a higher gear. I'm glad to hear that I'm wrong in this assumption, and I'll definitely need to look into how to short-shift optimally as I'm sure this might help me in future racing games.

Speaking of driving techniques, I'd love to see an in-game driving school (sort of similar to the University of Trials in Trials Rising) that teaches me some of the basic/advanced techniques involved with manual driving. I vaguely remember seeing something similar in either Gran Turismo 3 or 4 (?) during the license exams, but that was a long time ago and I was too impatient to ever bother with it. ? I was much younger, so I saw words like "weight transfer" and "apex" and noped out of there. 

Trail braking is something I remember seeing all over the Assetto Corsa forums when I was still sizing up the hotlaps, but I embarrassingly forgot all about it once I had the confidence to dive in and start grinding out gold medal times. You're absolutely right that I could, and should, be trail braking more. It just rarely enters my mind when I'm driving. The hotlaps, up to this point, have all been won by paying attention to my lap delta and seeing what saves/loses time around each corner. Any trail braking that I actually perform tends to be a coincidence as my muscle memory develops when turns go well and is rarely something I'm cognizant of. 

TCS is something that I'll actually be covering in my next update! While I don't have the confidence in most races to leave it off entirely, turning Traction Control off during the straights to gain a higher rate of acceleration and back on whenever I'm braking or turning to take advantage of the stability it provides has saved me ridiculous amounts of time in most hotlaps (it feels broken honestly and I know I've compromised my learning experience to an extent by abusing the feature).

Thank you so much for the advice! ? I was actually hoping that at least 1 player would evaluate my driving patterns and give me pointers on what is going well and what needs improvement when I started Assetto Corsa, so I'm thrilled to read comments like these. Unfortunately, I've finished so many hotlaps in the last four weeks that you all are essentially going to be seeing a "before and after" shot of my driving when update #5 releases, but anything I learn from you all in these next few updates can be applied to future racing games so it would still hold a lot of value!

On 10/6/2021 at 5:12 PM, da-Noob123 said:

ExistentialSolid you can write quite the yarn. While nowhere near as challenging I'm sure, your descriptions of shaving off seconds and even milliseconds reminds me of going for the racing medals in the various Batmobiles in Arkham Knight. Your right about the different feel of one car versus another. For some of the races I couldn't complete it in Batmobile A but I could in B and C. Lap after lap after lap attempt after attempt but the euphoric feeling when you finally beat that time felt great.

Keep up the good work. 

It's funny that you mention Arkham Knight, because I've just recently (back in July) played through some of the DLC packs and really enjoyed the Batmobile races too! I only played until I reached the 21-33 AR challenge star requirements for the trophies, but trying to collect them all would be a fun challenge I'm sure. Some Batmobiles definitely felt clunkier or harder to control than others (the 1960s Batmobile comes to mind ?), but adapting to their differences made each win uniquely satisfying. Considering I started playing Assetto Corsa only a month later in August, there's a good chance that Arkham Knight set the stage for AC as I had been craving a challenging racing game in the weeks leading to me starting it up.  

Thanks, I'll try my best! :D

Edited by ExistentialSolid
  • Like 2

Sounds like you are making great progress Ex, keep up the great work! Love the updates as usual ☺️

Funny enough, IRL I drive a manual, always have for my last 20 years of driving! I feel similarly to what you're saying about the way it handles 1000x better...

However, when it comes to racing games, I never was able to get it down for the life of me! It sounds like mastery of that is pretty much mandatory for something as strict as Assetto Corsa seems to be. Then again this is prob why I never platted any of the real deal racing sims ?

Edited by Joe Dubz
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, ExistentialSolid said:

Clear Ahead!
Let's start off with some nonsense that is sure to make some of you sick to your stomach! I'm happy to announce that I've discovered a skip in the track "Spa" that saves roughly 2-3 seconds and works for the following four hotlaps: Clear Ahead!, Let it Scream!, Fxx X at Spa, and P1 at Spa. For anyone that cheesed the Alien Races with the Pit Stop Exploit like I have, this skip has been staring you in the face since you started. As soon as you touch the starting line, just use the Pit Stop Exploit and you'll skip the entirety of turn 1. This trick does not invalidate the lap and dramatically reduces the difficulty of two of the hardest hotlaps in the game. Check it out!

What's Next?
There's now three hotlaps standing between me and the platinum trophy: A Hell 4 You, Alfa 4C vs Green Hell, and Forbidden Record. All three of these hotlaps take place on the longest (and, arguably, most grueling) track in the game, Nordschleife. I've saved these laps as a final gauntlet of sorts to really test my mettle and to see if this game can give me one last punch in the gut before I parade my goofy digital certificate of completion around to complete strangers on the internet. 

Nice going! That's a lot of progress & it looks like even though you've got some of the hardest still to go, you have done most so far. I see Clear Ahead, Free The Beast, A Whole New Toy & GRA Challenge finished & quite a few people did the same as some of those are very hard to do. I usually play without traction & will go back eventually to try another one but Clear Ahead was the one that took a week since the time on that one is ridiculous. That's the one where it took a few days to get that last bit lol. I went for that one as it was the one that seemed the hardest & I wonder what you think I would be like on the others since you've done almost all. I was thinking of doing A Whole New Toy & Free The Beast next since those seemed harder but maybe you might think differently as people have found different ones harder than the other. I know a lot mention GRA Challenge as well although I think that one won't take as long since I wasn't far off when I tried it. It would be useful to know how you think I would find the rest since I play without traction & expect to take quite awhile to get through each one.

It's really amazing how the game makes you better over time as when you first play it, you usually think that it's not possible to do. I can see that you have improved so much during this game & I want to let you know that this will help you in any other game since this one requires so much to get through. The stuff you have improved on will stay with you on other games & I'm sure you'll know what I mean when that happens. I will find a lot of this helpful when I get back to the game so you are definitely going to help many with what you have done. I'm looking forward to the last part of this game that you will do & I hope you get through the last few as I know many that have found those ridiculously hard to do. The progress you have made has been amazing!

• Like 3

@ExistentialSolid Amazing progress so far mate, you’ve come a long way. You have written the best explanations and showcased some great videos for tackling some of these events for trophy hunters, there is really not a lot of info, apart from maybe some other videos on YouTube. Only Nordschleife left, so good luck! 

12 hours ago, Destructor-8 said:

I usually play without traction & will go back eventually to try another one but Clear Ahead was the one that took a week since the time on that one is ridiculous. That's the one where it took a few days to get that last bit lol. I went for that one as it was the one that seemed the hardest & I wonder what you think I would be like on the others since you've done almost all. I was thinking of doing A Whole New Toy & Free The Beast next since those seemed harder but maybe you might think differently as people have found different ones harder than the other.

I know that you asked Existential about that question but I would just like to chime in on this subject as well. Obviously having TCS completely off gives you more power than having it on, and some hotlaps are easier when you turn off TCS. There are also hotlaps that are harder to gold without TCS let’s say some of those you’ve mentioned like “Free the Beast”, “Whole New Toy” and “Clear Ahead”(hence why you’ve spend so long on this one) in my personal opinion. You gain more power but at the same time you increase the risk of losing control and it requires very precise throttle+brake management and knowing how to straighten the car to be able to go fast. You will be able to gold the rest of the events with enough practice, and “Clear Ahead” has shown us that you have the patience and skills to get through this. 

If you choose to do all the hotlaps without TCS off, it will be a hard task depending on which hotlap but in the long run, you will see your driving skills improve a lot more without TCS. As for the difficulty of the hotlaps, which ones you’ll struggle with the most depends on which order you do the events, which setups and settings you use, how much assist you use and if you exploit certain events. 

• Like 3

On 9/10/2021 at 8:07 AM, ExistentialSolid said:

Thank you so much for the advice! 1f604.png I was actually hoping that at least 1 player would evaluate my driving patterns and give me pointers on what is going well and what needs improvement when I started Assetto Corsa, so I'm thrilled to read comments like these. Unfortunately, I've finished so many hotlaps in the last four weeks that you all are essentially going to be seeing a "before and after" shot of my driving when update #5 releases, but anything I learn from you all in these next few updates can be applied to future racing games so it would still hold a lot of value!

I see you've come a long way! You might've written that somewhere but I didn't quite catch that I was looking at a one-month-old hotlap ? In any case, you've done your homework yourself actually, because judging by the most recent hotlaps your trail braking and your "earlier on the throttle" has got better, so great effort there. The TCS switching technique made me giggle, have to say, but you really mastered it and seems to give you better acceleration out of corners.

The Nordschleife hotlaps look really challenging, track is so long and so unforgiving… but really fun to drive around and very satisfying when things go well, because you really feel a mega driver! I even have some memories from 10-15 years ago about completing certain challenges in Gran Turismo 4 and 5, I absolutely loved this track. But also got so mad at everything when a corner near the end of the lap went wrong and I had to do those 20 km all over again. I'm sure you'll manage to do these eventually!

I am thinking of getting Assetto Corsa myself after reading all of this, I occasionally play some GT Sport online on my way to the plat, but the game doesn't really offer any serious single-player challenge like the classics of the series and I miss that. Hope those come back for GT7.

• Like 2

Great work man, I’m super proud to see how far you’ve come in this! Do you have any prior experience of the Nurburgring? It’s a hell of track to learn but one of the most beautiful out there.

On 09/10/2021 at 7:07 AM, ExistentialSolid said:

Speaking of driving techniques, I'd love to see an in-game driving school (sort of similar to the University of Trials in Trials Rising) that teaches me some of the basic/advanced techniques involved with manual driving. I vaguely remember seeing something similar in either Gran Turismo 3 or 4 (?) during the license exams, but that was a long time ago and I was too impatient to ever bother with it. 1f602.png I was much younger, so I saw words like "weight transfer" and "apex" and noped out of there.

I actually can’t recommend the GT license exams enough for anyone that’s new to racing games. The words “Slow in, fast out” have been etched in my brain since I was 7 I think ?

If you don’t mind feedback? One thing I noticed when watching your videos is sometimes you turn in to a corner quite early, and ride the curb round before exiting. What this does is make the angle in which you’re trying to turn the car sharper, scrubbing off speed through the tyres if your entry speed is too quick for example. If you try to take a wider entry onto the apex you’ll be able to carry more speed through the corner, allowing yourself to have more speed upon exit and a higher top speed on the straight thereafter. Obviously this won’t be the case for absolutely every corner as sometimes the optimal line won’t be wide in every time. I hope this might be useful to you!

Good luck with your remaining hotlaps and enjoy the Nordschleife! You’ve got this!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ExistentialSolid said:

I mean, I have very little sim racing experience, even less IRL driving experience, and I'm probably the least knowledgeable driver in this entire thread, 1f605.png but I didn't let that stop me from trying Assetto Corsa anyway. Limits are often just imaginary barriers we place in front of ourselves to justify our complacency and have little to no bearing on our actual potential. I genuinely believe that just about anyone reading this thread could earn the Assetto Corsa platinum if they were determined enough. 

Not everybody has the same skills and determination. I already did some hard stuff this year. I don't overdo on the hard challenges, I'm not the same person as you. Gran Turismo, particularly the 5th entry, can be pretty challenging, but you cannot get the platinum in that anymore.

On 10/10/2021 at 6:49 PM, Don_carlito94 said:

I know that you asked Existential about that question but I would just like to chime in on this subject as well. Obviously having TCS completely off gives you more power than having it on, and some hotlaps are easier when you turn off TCS. There are also hotlaps that are harder to gold without TCS let’s say some of those you’ve mentioned like “Free the Beast”, “Whole New Toy” and “Clear Ahead”(hence why you’ve spend so long on this one) in my personal opinion. You gain more power but at the same time you increase the risk of losing control and it requires very precise throttle+brake management and knowing how to straighten the car to be able to go fast. You will be able to gold the rest of the events with enough practice, and “Clear Ahead” has shown us that you have the patience and skills to get through this. 

If you choose to do all the hotlaps without TCS off, it will be a hard task depending on which hotlap but in the long run, you will see your driving skills improve a lot more without TCS. As for the difficulty of the hotlaps, which ones you’ll struggle with the most depends on which order you do the events, which setups and settings you use, how much assist you use and if you exploit certain events. 

Yeah I decided before I started that I was going to do it without traction as I've gotten used to it that way & it has helped in many other games as well as this one. I think every game is a step down in terms of what you have to learn since this is the most difficult one to get used to even if the times aren't as tight as other racing games. I'm still going to have a go at it without traction & eventually do the game twice so will do one hotlap on one version then go on to the other version & do the hotlap there whilst I still remember it. It's nice you said all that as well so I appreciate it.

On 12/10/2021 at 9:55 PM, ExistentialSolid said:

I honestly don't think you have much to worry about. You've already finished one of the hardest hotlaps in the game and, based on the long list of racers you've finished, you clearly have the dedication needed to get this done! The amount of research you're willing to do to find the right setup for each hotlap is going to be the most important factor in trying to assess how long AC will take you to complete. In some cases, you could spend a dozen hours trying to clear a hotlap with a poor setup whereas you might breeze through it in 20 minutes with a great setup.

Like @Don_carlito94 mentioned, playing through every event without traction control is probably going to make your job a lot more difficult than it needs to be. I know you've dedicated far more time to sim racing than I have, so maybe it's just a preference that's grown on you, but some cars are going to be nightmares to drive without it. If I could recommend anything, it would be to reconsider that preference before diving into the rest of the hotlaps to save yourself some headache, but I'm sure you'll manage no matter what you choose to do. :D

Thanks, that really means a lot! I'm excited to see what sorts of improvements I see in my driving going from Assetto Corsa to whichever racing sim I tackle next (whenever that may be). There's still so much to learn and I'm looking forward to finding my next fix.

I truly appreciate this as well since I haven't been into sims for too long so I'm still trying to get better & better too. I'm going to be on this game for awhile anyway especially as I'm going to do it twice but at least it can only get easier lol. I think you've already said this but sims are generally more fun than I first thought & you really do see yourself get better over time. This game definitely helped the most as since you know that once you do a really hard game, you get used to doing others & as I mentioned before you'll find almost every other racing game a step down when it comes to what you have to learn in order to get through it. There are others out there as well as this so I'm sure you'll enjoy going for more if you want. I'll actually be going back to one that I've mentioned quite a lot in my thread so I'm sure you'll like to see that one. I actually think once you see it in my thread that you'll want to go for it when you see what it requires you to do lol.

49 minutes ago, ExistentialSolid said:

After watching the lap back, I'm so proud of how far I've come.
Is the lap perfect? No, it's nowhere even close to perfection. But you know what? A month ago, I didn't even know how to drive a car with a manual transmission. I would watch reference runs over and over trying desperately to understand what I could be doing better. Now, I feel confident enough in my driving to tackle any hotlap without a video to guide my every move and can tame a manual like I'd been driving one my whole life! I've learned so much and I'm excited to finally finish this!

[The next update will feature my final two hotlaps and conclude my time with Assetto Corsa! Thank you for reading! 1f642.png

This is awesome as I've heard a lot about this one since many have found these to take the longest to do. I remember trying one of these when I first had a go & I wasn't even close lol. It's true what you say as if you look at when you first started this, you were playing something that you really had to get into the game in order to get anything out of it. I've said it before but getting good at this game will help in any future one that you try. It's just a matter of time until you get this one done that will go along with all the other ridiculously impressive games that you have finished. This is a one of the best out there & it's almost done so nice going on that.

Edited by Destructor-8
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ExistentialSolid said:

Before we close things out, I'd like to give a special thanks to @Don_carlito94 for being like a mentor to me throughout my time with Assetto Corsa. Without his guidance, encouragement, and enthusiasm, I might have never finished this game! 1f604.png Thanks as well to the players that I've used as reference material including: VirtualNight, Floriiss, and Blu3Angels. And, of course, thank you to all of you reading along for supporting me throughout this journey!

What's Next?
I'm going to be taking a little time off to relax and work on my playlists before we start cleaning up some unfinished business. I'm dead set on having the next poll, which will introduce my plans for a thread revamp, on December 19th, so I've got to make sure everything's set to go before that date! Cleaning up Super Meat Boy Forever and The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth will be priority #1 until that day comes.

Congrats on getting through & finishing this game! It's been absolutely amazing watching you get through this & your videos will be of use to many in the future I'm sure. This is an extremely impressive game to do & one that requires an absolutely huge amount of effort to complete. I'm sure @Don_carlito94 has been very helpful throughout this game especially as there's not much out there to go on. I will definitely be using your videos when I get back to this game & hopefully I can get there too one day as well. It's also been very encouraging with what you & @Don_carlito94 have said recently too. I look forward to what is next for you & will definitely be keeping up with it!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ExistentialSolid said:

Assetto Corsa and the End of a Journey - Update #7
After two months and over 200 hours of play, I've finally finished Assetto Corsa!

Assetto-Corsa

My final two hotlaps, "A Hell 4 You" and "Forbidden Record," are both going to be linked below if you'd like to check them out! Both laps added a twist to the hotlap formula, but thankfully eased up a little on the gold medal requirements. "A Hell 4 You" dares the player to navigate Nordschleife in a thick fog while "Forbidden Record" straps the player to a rocket and expects them to make due. After playing this game for ages, It feels strange knowing that it's all over... 

Congrats on this accomplishment! I’m glad I could help a little bit ? It’s been fun following your progress and I look forward to read more about the other games like SMBF.

Since you know how to drive manual gear in a racing game now, perhaps you might consider choosing that option when you approach your next sim/simcade such as Dirt Rally 2.0 or the upcoming GT7? You can see that you have far more control over the car with manual over automatic from all those hours in Assetto Corsa - and admit it, it is a little more fun with manual in a racing sim ?

On 14.10.2021 at 10:48 PM, Destructor-8 said:

Yeah I decided before I started that I was going to do it without traction as I've gotten used to it that way & it has helped in many other games as well as this one. I think every game is a step down in terms of what you have to learn since this is the most difficult one to get used to even if the times aren't as tight as other racing games. I'm still going to have a go at it without traction & eventually do the game twice so will do one hotlap on one version then go on to the other version & do the hotlap there whilst I still remember it. It's nice you said all that as well so I appreciate it.

Respect for going this route. Some of the hotlaps are significantly harder without TCS. For example -> “Demon on Wheels” I personally consider as one of the harder hotlaps in the base game without TCS. Imola is a complex circuit, but with a high TCS setting you can turn this very hard hotlap into a medium difficulty hotlap because with TCS on high, you can drive over the high curbs without consequences 9/10 times as opposed to having TCS off where it requires much more precise angle of entry and throttle control - this example is just to give you a picture of the contrast. 

I personally never tried any of the skips and tricks for some of the hotlaps but from my observation you save quite some time with some of them, so if you don’t use any of those, you will also need to push it a notch. Examples - GRA Challenge, with skip= save around half a sec. Nordschleife hotlaps, with wall bounce and Karussell trick = save around 2 secs or maybe a little more if executed right. It will still be a tough experience regardless of these tricks. I look forward to see you write about this game once you get back to it ?

• Like 3