ExistentialSolid's "Please Destroy Me" Detour

ExistentialSolid

New Nomination List ~ Poll #1  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following games would you like to see next?

• Moon Hunters
    • Attacking Zegeta 2
    • GoNNer 2
    • XPosed Reloaded
    • Mr. Driller: DrillLand

Yoo welcome back dude! This new idea sounds pretty exciting actually, I'd like to see you have a shot at some of these near unobtainable games just to see whether they're actually possible or not. One of those games I've heard about is Tanuki JusticeOnly a few trophies have been earned, because of the ridiculous requirements of this trophy list, a bit of info is given in the thread about it. Would be nice to see someone tackle this and to see the journey. It's probably gonna take a long while though ?

Also, I've heard about Moon Hunters, the game is apparently pretty tricky to figure out with the limited info about it, but it's not too difficult skill wise if I understood correctly :hmm:

I also had a friend show me Brick Breaker a while ago as a suggestion for a 0.01% trophy.. from what I found from a quick search about it, the only way to get through that survival shit would be through heavy use of pause buffering, which sounds like a pretty annoying way to play on top of whatever else is wrong with the game haha. Hopefully you can find a better looking game to destroy you than this at least, don't feel like a lot of fun is to be had with this one ?

• Like 4

Welcome back! This re-opening is going to please a lot of readers. I know I'm happy to see it. ?

2 hours ago, ExistentialSolid said:

Announcement #2 - It's Time I Confronted My White Whale

Even happier to see Miku making a comeback. I was wondering what you had left to go for in Future Tone. It's starting to look like Intense Voice is the big one in every game it shows up in. It's also my current target in F 2nd, and is a very relatable whale in general. ?

I've spent my years as a trophy hunter locked in a never ending battle between "Should I go back?" and "Should I move on?", but I know as long as this question lingers unanswered, I'll never find peace. If I'm ever going to do this, it needs to happen now. Even though I've played off and on in the years since, my skills are starting to rust and I'll only get worse the longer I procrastinate. I've been trying to psyche myself up for months to get this started and figured it'd be best to document my progress here if I want to keep myself motivated.

Now is a great time to get it done. According to a Reddit post I read not too long ago, a majority of development staff has been moved away from the DIVA team, and the director of the series left quite some time ago. Then there's also the success of Project Sekai (EN: Colorful Stage) on mobile. The chances of traditional Diva as we know it -- both console and arcade variants -- evolving to the next stage may be a coin flip at best. The glass half full take here is that you might be in a position to finally get some closure on the series. Once you conquer Intense Voice ExEx, chances are good that you can safely move on to new projects without anything holding you back.

In the following updates, I'm going to be breaking down the Extra Extreme version of Intense Voice section by section while discussing possible strategies, button configurations, and scoring tactics while trying my best to keep things beginner friendly. I'm also going to try to regain my place among the top 10 in all four of the Clear% categories I used to compete in. There will be no trophies at stake, but, should I succeed, it will be far and away the proudest moment in my gaming career...

This will be an interesting read. Even at their most chaotic, Diva charts are always rhythmic, always logical, and almost always follow the flow of the DualShock (or in the case of Future Tone, the Arcade controller). Though still an incredibly difficult song -- and game in general -- hopefully others will see how approachable the highest difficulty of play actually is once you start breaking Intense Voice down to its smallest pieces. Looking forward to seeing it.

• Like 4

Welcome back! Forums have become quite repetitive of late, good to see you back to shake things up. In regards to impossible games, I check in every once in a while on this one: 

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/5578-attacking-zegeta-2

It and it's predecessor are seemingly impossible. There are a few forums that can give you more info with some regulars who might be able to point you towards other impossible games. It's interesting reading to what extent people have dissected these games. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ExistentialSolid said:

Thanks, I'm glad to be back! 1f601.png It was actually that brief period of obscure game hunting in the Discord server that inspired the new nomination list idea. Verlet Swing was a hidden gem and Neon Drive (though not as obscure) was a ton of fun! In the same vein, I recently came across an indie platformer/multiplayer brawler, "Overruled!", that only had 1 completion, so I had to check it out for myself. It wasn't exactly the best, but the journey was more exciting than most since I was never 100% sure any given trophy would pop. Hopefully I'll experience more games that give me that same sort of thrill!

Yeah it was cool reading the experiences that you had on it. I know it was something that you really went for & got it. It did inspire a few others to go for it so that was pretty cool. There's quite a lot of unknown stuff out there. I saw Tanuki Justice mentioned above & that's something I think about sometimes as I remember reading about it in the ultra rare clean up thread awhile back. That has to be one of the most difficult completions ever.

Edited by Destructor-8
  • Like 2

It's great to see you back demolishing absurdly difficult games, while introducing a new idea to keep things fresh! 

Having played a slew of unknown indies, I'd like to add Gonner 2 to your new list, being a twin-stick platforming rogue-like. Although I wrote a guide for it, providing decent information about most of the trophies, one of them has completely eluded me and the few that took to the forums of other websites to discuss it. It's a trophy that requires you to score an absurdly high (yet unknown) combo in a single set of levels (since finishing the levels ends your combo practically instantly). I've played a fair bit of the game, and came up short with only a combo of around 40-ish, while one only managed a combo of around 50. I don't necessarily think it's bugged, but I'm genuinely baffled as to whether or not there exists a strategy that makes such a ridiculous combo possible.

I also wanted to change my regular nomination to a different game, since Rain Worlds challenge can be reduced via save scumming and frequent wiki visits. Allow me to introduce you to Polybius, an insanely fast-paced 3D arcade shoot-em-up that is certainly NOT for epileptics (if you heard of Tempest 4000, then it's developed by the same folks). Each level progresses at an insane pace at full speed, and the barrage of enemies, obstacles, particles, and other forms of visual flair, combined with a tough trophy list and very little information about it on external sources oughta make it a slightly more interesting game to talk about than a game that can be somewhat trivialized.

Also, best of luck on your next endeavor! Curious to see how you'll learn to process and play alongside the chaos that ensues from some of those songs!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ExistentialSolid said:

Thank you and welcome to the checklist! 1f604.png I've actually lurked your own checklist from time to time while I've been away, but I always walk away jealous. You're over there with sharp analytic discourse, compelling insights, and effortless lucidity while my posts generally soak in a soup of self-aggrandizement and trite commentary. 1f602.png     

I didn't realize Moon Hunters would be so popular 1f914.png It was on sale just recently for $1.50. I noticed the rare trophies and had to scoop it up. I'll go ahead and add it to the new nomination list under your name! And, of course, if you ever spot other obscure games that pique your interest, I'd be excited to hear about them. 

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little scared. My white whale's haunted me for such a long time and there's no guarantee it won't continue to haunt me despite my best efforts over these next few weeks. I'll try my very best regardless! 1f624.png Having one less regret would make it all worthwhile.   

You flatter me! ?

By the way: "self-aggrandizement and trite commentary" is a strange way to spell "confidence from success and interesting personal experiences," but you do you. ?

Re Moon Hunters: fantastic... hopefully this is the common consensus.

Everyone has their own white whale. Yours is a bit larger and whiter than mine. If you haul him in within a few weeks then that would be even more impressive.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Trumpet_Boi_208 said:

It's great to see you back demolishing absurdly difficult games, while introducing a new idea to keep things fresh! 

Having played a slew of unknown indies, I'd like to add Gonner 2 to your new list, being a twin-stick platforming rogue-like. Although I wrote a guide for it, providing decent information about most of the trophies, one of them has completely eluded me and the few that took to the forums of other websites to discuss it. It's a trophy that requires you to score an absurdly high (yet unknown) combo in a single set of levels (since finishing the levels ends your combo practically instantly). I've played a fair bit of the game, and came up short with only a combo of around 40-ish, while one only managed a combo of around 50. I don't necessarily think it's bugged, but I'm genuinely baffled as to whether or not there exists a strategy that makes such a ridiculous combo possible.

I also wanted to change my regular nomination to a different game, since Rain Worlds challenge can be reduced via save scumming and frequent wiki visits. Allow me to introduce you to Polybius, an insanely fast-paced 3D arcade shoot-em-up that is certainly NOT for epileptics (if you heard of Tempest 4000, then it's developed by the same folks). Each level progresses at an insane pace at full speed, and the barrage of enemies, obstacles, particles, and other forms of visual flair, combined with a tough trophy list and very little information about it on external sources oughta make it a slightly more interesting game to talk about than a game that can be somewhat trivialized.

Also, best of luck on your next endeavor! Curious to see how you'll learn to process and play alongside the chaos that ensues from some of those songs!

I really appreciate the support, thank you!

I might've accidentally gone on a 30 minute Gonner 2 deep dive after reading your post. ? When you mentioned in the "Broken Trophies" thread that you suspected the "Nice" trophy required a combo of 69, I wasn't sure how you came to that conclusion based solely on the trophy name (seemed excessive for a dev joke), but I quickly found a thread on TA where two separate players confirmed your suspicions with one claiming to have reached out to the developer directly. I checked through the profile of the player that claimed to reach out to the dev and found a massive "Get Unobtainables Fixed" thread with a little bit of additional info on Gonner 2: "There was a huge debate on how to accomplish meeting the achievement requirements/if it was secretly possible. At this point I can confirm from one on one dev talk that this achievement is broken. “I’m not actually sure if it’s even possible.” - Ditto (The Dev) I proposed working on it with him; waiting on availability."

Seems like a dead end as this all happened in March of this year, but the developer's work email address seems to be posted in their Art In Heart facebook page for anyone brave enough to try reaching out again. You probably already knew all this, but I figured I'd share anyway since the mystery of it all sounded exciting. :P

One last thing you mentioned in the broken trophies thread was there were two hypothetical ways of earning the trophy even in its current state: a bug/exploit that allows you to preserve your combo or hoping for RNG to spawn enough enemies to manage a 69x combo. Concerning the RNG specifically, you said, "if you even want a glimmer of hope of winning, you have to be consistently surviving runs, which require a fair degree of skill to do. However, considering how many more enemies are required for the trophy, this is also nigh impossible to rely on." 

Does consistently surviving runs affect RNG such that more enemies tend to spawn per run? If so, could this be abused via save scumming? Either way, I've added Gonner 2 to the new list!

---

Polybius sounds like an ideal nominee for the original list and looks absolutely insane to boot! On the list it goes! ? 

Edited by ExistentialSolid
  • Like 2

On 11/14/2022 at 3:43 AM, ExistentialSolid said:

Starting today, I'm going to be starting a second nomination list for games that are obscure, have a small (or nonexistent) pool of completionists, or might very well be impossible. As with my original nomination list on the front page of this thread, anyone is welcome to nominate a single PS4 game (excluding VR) that they believe meets these requirement

Well there's this indie game called Yakuza 3, I don't think anyone has heard of that game before, might be one to consider....*cough*

lol

• Like 2

I don't know if I nominated yet, but I am going to nominate the original Persona 5. I'd nominate Persona 4 Golden but I doubt you have a Vita and it's not porting to PS4 until 2023, but Persona 5 vanilla - oh my god, it's a godawful copy and paste trophy list from Golden, even the 250 unique navigation lines. Still trying to determine if Hardcore Risette lines carry over plays, but the navigator lines in Persona 5 definitely do not so you have to stay in Mementos for hours to farm unique navigation lines. Add in the bad design choices that Royal fixes(guns can only be used once per visit of a Palace or Mementos, you have to raise your companions' confidants to Rank 2 to unlock Baton Pass), and the dumb trophies you need to have a full calendar for(get all Confidants to Max Rank, catch the Golden God fish, etc.) and this game will destroy your soul. ?

• Like 1

Welcome back Ex!! Good to see you my dude. I like the sound of your new approach here!

The only thing off the top of my head that comes to mind is Attacking Zegeta 2?? I really do think that one is broken and unobtainable. Just wanted to throw something out there for you!

• Like 3

I enjoy reading your posts when I have time of course.

Congratulations on Cloudberry Kingdom, I've been tempted to go and do that one since I got through Pain, yet have a bunch of games I've already purchased that I want to get through first.

Currently what has me stumped is Fe Frog or (Iron) Frog in Zuma's Revenge.  I do not understand how this is a Rare trophy, yet is so difficult to do.  I would like to think that I've got some good game accomplishments under the ol' belt.  Yet this one perplexes me.  Even what someone said on the forums for using the PS button as a "pause" trick, hell I still lost round 6 of 10 using that the entire round.  In fact I've never got past round 6.  I would love a detailed explanation for how the hell to get this trophy:

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/1615-zumas-revenge/LegendExeter

However if you want a somewhat mild challenge, you could join the 11 of us that have 100% this game: XPosed Reloaded

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/14787-xposed-reloaded/LegendExeter

• Like 1

On 11/15/2022 at 9:54 AM, enaysoft said:

Well there's this indie game called Yakuza 3, I don't think anyone has heard of that game before, might be one to consider....*cough*

lol

If there's one constant in this thread, it's @enaysoft's unwavering determination to get me to play Yakuza 3. ?

After playing 0 and Kiwami 2 basically back-to-back, I'm all Yakuza'd out for now, but a playthrough of 3 will happen one day, just you wait! ? Also, I'm probably in the minority, but I struggled far more with Kiwami 2's bouncer missions than I did with any of 0's climax battles. The last few were absolutely ridiculous even with the best gear in the game. Having Sango Amon's rocket launcher aimed at me scares me more than most horror games...   

On 11/15/2022 at 1:29 PM, Taruta13 said:

I don't know if I nominated yet, but I am going to nominate the original Persona 5. I'd nominate Persona 4 Golden but I doubt you have a Vita and it's not porting to PS4 until 2023, but Persona 5 vanilla - oh my god, it's a godawful copy and paste trophy list from Golden, even the 250 unique navigation lines. Still trying to determine if Hardcore Risette lines carry over plays, but the navigator lines in Persona 5 definitely do not so you have to stay in Mementos for hours to farm unique navigation lines. Add in the bad design choices that Royal fixes(guns can only be used once per visit of a Palace or Mementos, you have to raise your companions' confidants to Rank 2 to unlock Baton Pass), and the dumb trophies you need to have a full calendar for(get all Confidants to Max Rank, catch the Golden God fish, etc.) and this game will destroy your soul. 1f608.png

I loved Persona 5 to death, but you're spot-on about how soul destroying some of the game's trophies are to unlock. ? Getting all confidants to max rank is, to this day, one of the most stressful trophies I've ever earned in an RPG since I was never 100% sure if I was managing my time well enough to earn the trophy. Royal seems like a pleasant walk in the park by comparison, but I haven't had the patience to push through the same 100+ hours of story beats to get to the new content. ? I also really have to play P5 Strikers one of these days.

While I technically already have the P5 plat, I do have an idea. I've never actually played an RPG in another language before, but I've always been curious how some players go about completing stacks of their favorite games in languages they don't understand. Since I have a JP account, I could get the JP version of P5 and see how difficult it would be to earn the platinum without understanding any of the menu options. :P I'll go ahead and put the JP version of Persona 5 on the original list under your name in case anyone's interested in the idea, but if you have another game you'd rather see in its place, feel free to let me know and I'll swap it out!

On 11/15/2022 at 4:10 PM, Joe Dubz said:

Welcome back Ex!! Good to see you my dude. I like the sound of your new approach here!

The only thing off the top of my head that comes to mind is Attacking Zegeta 2?? I really do think that one is broken and unobtainable. Just wanted to throw something out there for you!

Thank you, it's good to see you too!

Both you and da-Noob123 think alike! I went ahead and put Attacking Zegeta 2 on the list, but the only issue right now is being able to play it on a PS5. On PS4, the game apparently struggles with serious lag spikes which can cause problems when exploring either the maze or level 1. In fact, the game's only known obtainable trophy, "Maze Conqueror" might be impossible on PS4. :hmm: If I end up getting a PS5 in the near future, it'll be in the running for sure! 

On 11/15/2022 at 4:55 PM, LegendExeter said:

I enjoy reading your posts when I have time of course.

Congratulations on Cloudberry Kingdom, I've been tempted to go and do that one since I got through Pain, yet have a bunch of games I've already purchased that I want to get through first.

Currently what has me stumped is Fe Frog or (Iron) Frog in Zuma's Revenge.  I do not understand how this is a Rare trophy, yet is so difficult to do.  I would like to think that I've got some good game accomplishments under the ol' belt.  Yet this one perplexes me.  Even what someone said on the forums for using the PS button as a "pause" trick, hell I still lost round 6 of 10 using that the entire round.  In fact I've never got past round 6.  I would love a detailed explanation for how the hell to get this trophy:

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/1615-zumas-revenge/LegendExeter

However if you want a somewhat mild challenge, you could join the 11 of us that have 100% this game: XPosed Reloaded

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/14787-xposed-reloaded/LegendExeter

Hey, thank you for the support! 

While I've never played Zuma's Revenge, I can see how Fe Frog would we frustrating considering it only takes one or two mistakes to end a 10 level run. It's tricky to tell where you could improve, but, just in case you're not using the pause trick optimally, I'll quickly explain how I would go about using this trick. 

As soon as you have control, pause the game and carefully plan out your shot. Once you know exactly where you're going to shoot, unpause the game, quickly take your shot, and immediately pause again to repeat the process. The game should never be unpaused for more than a split second to make your move. The goal here is to trim away any excess time that would normally be spent considering your next move. You'd also be far less likely to make mistakes since you have all the time in the world to plan where to fire with the game paused most of the time. Of course, using this trick optimally also depends on your knowledge of Zuma's Revenge. If you don't know where to fire your shot, it won't matter much whether you use this exploit or not. Hopefully you'll manage to get it done soon either way! Good luck!

XPosed Reloaded looks interesting! I remember catching it on sale awhile back, but the name scared me away and I didn't give it much of a chance.
I'll go ahead and add it to the list! ?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ExistentialSolid said:

While I technically already have the P5 plat

:o Holy sh**, I can't believe it. Well, good luck trying to read Japanese menus. :) *walks into the Cortondo Gym with a Level 100 Sprigatito and cleans house* :P

You didn't mention trying to find time to catch the rarest fish in the game and get 250 unique navigator lines. Persona 4 Golden really dropped the ball and, though I wish it was true, they aren't going to nerf the PS4 port of this game just to get more people to play it. I'm more interested in how badly they ruin the trophy list for Persona 3 Portable when it comes to PS4. :P

Edited by Taruta13
  • Like 1

When I play Diva, I use one of these

RBGJ1zB.jpg

Not my pic -- just a random Reddit upload

Which means I never got a chance to learn how to effectively macro. This might possibly be the least optimal way to play Future Tone, which is probably part of the reason my progression came to a halt a while back. Coming from a background of rhythm gaming on PC, I tend to do better when I can use my entire hand to play charts, even if it ends up baring some consequences (like being forced to play without macros). I don't have an Arcade controller for Diva right now, but I would like to play with one, so that's a potentially expensive problem that will need to be solved when the time comes to return to FT. Anyway, all of that is to say that when I look at the sections you highlighted to think about how I would personally approach them, I find it easier thinking about how I might approach them with an Arcade controller (:triangle::square::cross::circle: layout).

On 11/16/2022 at 2:03 PM, ExistentialSolid said:

A. #281-305 (unsure how to perform, but I have an idea)

I can probably see how I would try to do that on an Arcade controller, and on the HORI controller, my best bet is likely to blast :left::down:/:circle: and pray. At a bit of a loss of how I would try to get through it on a DualShock. Doing a bit of mental exercise on macro setups, I'm realizing that it's likely that macro setups have to be adjusted on a per-song basis -- Intense Voice included. Likely not a big deal for those at a top-10 level, but that's enough hassle for me to just go pricing arcade controllers on eBay instead, lol. Anyway, I guess you'll end up dedicating one of your macros to :square::cross: given that this is being highlighted. Interested to see what macro configuration you decide on in the future. 

B. #435-447 (very unsure how to perform; could be the hardest part of the song)

That's a nasty section. On the HORI, I would probably devote my left hand to :left::up:, while my right hand hangs out in the bottom-left corner for the :cross::square::cross: triple. Regardless of the control method, though, that's a horribly uncomfortable pattern to have to deal with. If the triples were :cross::circle::cross:, I could just roll my hand over the buttons, but :cross::square::cross: would need an uncomfortable reach to execute. I guess I'm lucky that F/F2 charts don't force this sort of dilemma on me, lol. My guess for DualShock is that there is going to be a macro combined with a bit of D-Pad/Face Button alternating. The actual practice and execution of this part is hard to fathom at my current level of play, so I can see why this chart requires quad-digit hours of skill building to work up to. 

C. #611-675 (the section I highlighted in last update's gif and why I gave up all those years ago)

This part is just ridiculous. I can see the logic in how the icons between the quads rotate on both the DualShock and Arcade controller, but actually doing it is another thing entirely. Not sure what the required practice looks like at a top-10 level, but looking at it from my level, I'm seeing easily a triple digit amount of hours memorizing the note counts, note pattern rotations, and generally working up the ability to physically execute this section alone. The one saving grace here might be that if you can make it to around #661, then you should be home free if you're well-practiced on the final notes of the chart. I've never played this chart myself, though, and the final ~15 combo is probably nastier than it looks, but that's just my speculation based on eyeballing it.

2. Do you remember the song statistics screenshot I posted in my last update? Well, it reminded me that I probably shouldn't leave behind any loose ends. If I'm going to leave this game behind, I don't want any regrets (even little ones). I'm going to mop up every last perfect I'm missing in Easy and Normal difficulty. This won't feature in any actual updates, but I may occasionally post the updates statistics from time to time before we reach the end of the journey. 

I'm happy to see this being addressed. I was mildly triggered in the last update after seeing the Easy and Normal charts untouched, lol. Wasn't sure how much you cared for full completion in these games though, so I didn't want to accidentally impose the idea on you if you weren't already considering it on your own. I did end up doing the same for PDF, because I knew I wasn't going to be able to move on if those charts weren't finished. I've done the same preparation for F2 as well by getting the E/N/H charts out of the way, so I can finally shelf the game when I achieve my last Perfects on Extreme. Speaking of which, I was surprised by how tricky some of the Normals and Hards were in PDF and F 2nd. I could see the Normal All Perfect trophies in DT 2nd and Extend being Ultra Rare if those games had Intense Voice's Normal chart from F 2nd; the ending requires pattern execution you'd see on Extreme charts in the 8☆ range, which was pretty crazy to see from a Normal.

Since the Diva discussion has been opened up here, a bit of an unrelated-but-still-related question: How far did you go with the Extreme charts in PDF/F2/X? Your trophy log shows that you played all three in 2017, before moving on to Future Tone. Wondering if Future Tone is where you "got good", or if you had already conquered the tracklists of the previous console games beforehand. 

• Like 2

On 11/18/2022 at 4:42 PM, AihaLoveleaf said:

When I play Diva, I use one of these

RBGJ1zB.jpg

Not my pic -- just a random Reddit upload

Which means I never got a chance to learn how to effectively macro. This might possibly be the least optimal way to play Future Tone, which is probably part of the reason my progression came to a halt a while back. Coming from a background of rhythm gaming on PC, I tend to do better when I can use my entire hand to play charts, even if it ends up baring some consequences (like being forced to play without macros). I don't have an Arcade controller for Diva right now, but I would like to play with one, so that's a potentially expensive problem that will need to be solved when the time comes to return to FT. Anyway, all of that is to say that when I look at the sections you highlighted to think about how I would personally approach them, I find it easier thinking about how I might approach them with an Arcade controller (:triangle::square::cross::circle: layout).

Clarification for Readers: Generally, the word "macro" is used on PSNP to refer to a long set of scripted inputs. Members of the Project DIVA community call the button remapping options in the menu you've seen in update #1 "macros" because you can map multiple simultaneous inputs onto one button (i.e. If you press :l2:, you perform the inputs :triangle:+:square:+:cross:+:circle:). Keep in mind that the in-game button configuration "macros" are wildly different from external software "macros" you see elsewhere on PSNP (Final Fantasy IX Jump Rope is a famous example).

----------------

Learning how to button reconfigure (macro) effectively is a must when playing on a DS4, though there are a handful of high-level purists out there that manage to play on DS4 without them. I tend to fall into the opposing camp of "use every tool at your disposal" and actually really enjoy the strategic element that macros can introduce into your play. ? 

If you're planning to play on an actual Arcade controller, that's a different story though (it's the genuine experience after all)! The unfortunate side effect of doing so is that you won't be able to perform holds as optimally as DS4 players which may be discouraging if you're planning on tearing up the leaderboards right away. On DS4, new holds can begin on the same frame that previous holds end (or maybe 1 frame later?) thanks to macros, while players on the arcade have to lift up their hands to manually end holds a few frames (minimum) before they initiate new holds because anything else would be physically impossible. Some score attack routes aren't viable on an Arcade controller either. ? A few points here and there is a small price to pay for the real deal though and it'd be cool to see the perspective of someone that has to adapt to the intended difficulties of each chart!  

[#281-305] - I can probably see how I would try to do that on an Arcade controller, and on the HORI controller, my best bet is likely to blast :left::down:/:circle: and pray. At a bit of a loss of how I would try to get through it on a DualShock. Doing a bit of mental exercise on macro setups, I'm realizing that it's likely that macro setups have to be adjusted on a per-song basis -- Intense Voice included. Likely not a big deal for those at a top-10 level, but that's enough hassle for me to just go pricing arcade controllers on eBay instead, lol. Anyway, I guess you'll end up dedicating one of your macros to :square::cross: given that this is being highlighted. Interested to see what macro configuration you decide on in the future. 

Macro setups do kinda have to be adjusted on a per song basis, especially for harder charts, but it can be fun testing different configurations and seeing what works and what doesn't in practice mode. Strong macro setups can trivialize some difficult sections entirely while weaker setups can leave you scratching your head for hours. For 95% of the game's charts, macros really only serve to perform quad notes and manage holds (by mapping :l2: and :r2: to quads and mindlessly transferring any incoming holds onto those buttons). The more insane 9 and 10 star charts are usually the only ones that demand a little extra. 

As for this particular section, what seems to be working for me strangely enough is using a claw hold to press :square:+:cross: with one thumb and reaching over with my index to tap :circle: while my other hand takes care of the other :circle: (index switches over to :triangle: mid spam along with other hand). Unfortunately, this strategy is very hit or miss with my consistency hovering around 10-15%. I'm not there yet, but I'll either practice this method until my consistency is high enough or figure something else out.

[#435-447] - That's a nasty section. On the HORI, I would probably devote my left hand to :left::up:, while my right hand hangs out in the bottom-left corner for the :cross::square::cross: triple. Regardless of the control method, though, that's a horribly uncomfortable pattern to have to deal with. If the triples were :cross::circle::cross:, I could just roll my hand over the buttons, but :cross::square::cross: would need an uncomfortable reach to execute. I guess I'm lucky that F/F2 charts don't force this sort of dilemma on me, lol. My guess for DualShock is that there is going to be a macro combined with a bit of D-Pad/Face Button alternating. The actual practice and execution of this part is hard to fathom at my current level of play, so I can see why this chart requires quad-digit hours of skill building to work up to. 

I've tried a version of what you're describing with the HORI except devoting my left hand to an L1 macro (:triangle:+:square:) and using two fingers to tap :cross::square::cross:, but my fingers feel a little too slow to pull it off. It's interesting that you mention rolling, because another idea I've been messing with is rolling my right thumb to tap :cross: and :square: (or :square: and :cross: if it ends up being more effective) in quick succession with a tap of :down: thrown somewhere in there, but I'm not quite there yet.

If this were the only difficult part of the song, I'd leave my L1 macro as it is and macro R1 to :cross:. Unfortunately, I think I'm going to need my macros as they are to get me through the ending and the more difficult parts of the song. The ending especially would be too difficult for me to perform without :triangle:+:square: and :cross:+:circle: macros. 

[#611-675] - This part is just ridiculous. I can see the logic in how the icons between the quads rotate on both the DualShock and Arcade controller, but actually doing it is another thing entirely. Not sure what the required practice looks like at a top-10 level, but looking at it from my level, I'm seeing easily a triple digit amount of hours memorizing the note counts, note pattern rotations, and generally working up the ability to physically execute this section alone. The one saving grace here might be that if you can make it to around #661, then you should be home free if you're well-practiced on the final notes of the chart. I've never played this chart myself, though, and the final ~15 combo is probably nastier than it looks, but that's just my speculation based on eyeballing it.

It's even worse than it looks. The spamming speed is eerily difficult to match (I find myself consistently going too fast or too slow with no in-between) and it usually leaves me exhausted in just a few minutes. What's especially rough is interjecting :r2: or :l2: (to take care of the quad notes) into a spam of that speed and not getting your sense of rhythm thrown off. Stretching your hand to reach the triggers can also hamper your spamming speed and it's all just a storm of troubles to adapt to. Having the discipline to take a breather and get right back into things is brutal, but all I can do is keep trying again and again until muscle memory does its thing. I just hope I don't hit the triple digit hour mark in practicing this one spam.

I'm actually a little more worried about the final 15 notes because the last 8 notes are going to require matching my index finger spamming speed with my thumb spamming speed since I'm planning to use :l1:/:r1: macros. If I'm moving my whole hands, it may not be as bad as I'm expecting, but it still scares me. I get exactly what you're saying through, because once you're "in the flow," you feel invincible and the notes practically play themselves.    

I'm happy to see this being addressed. I was mildly triggered in the last update after seeing the Easy and Normal charts untouched, lol. Wasn't sure how much you cared for full completion in these games though, so I didn't want to accidentally impose the idea on you if you weren't already considering it on your own. I did end up doing the same for PDF, because I knew I wasn't going to be able to move on if those charts weren't finished. I've done the same preparation for F2 as well by getting the E/N/H charts out of the way, so I can finally shelf the game when I achieve my last Perfects on Extreme. Speaking of which, I was surprised by how tricky some of the Normals and Hards were in PDF and F 2nd. I could see the Normal All Perfect trophies in DT 2nd and Extend being Ultra Rare if those games had Intense Voice's Normal chart from F 2nd; the ending requires pattern execution you'd see on Extreme charts in the 8☆ range, which was pretty crazy to see from a Normal.

Even in Future Tone the Normal charts go a lot harder than I'd expect. One of the toughest things to adjust to when I first started playing was incoming note speed, but some normal charts have notes that rocket across the screen and patterns that seriously ramp up during the challenge time segments. Part of me is glad I never once bothered with the challenge modifiers or I'd be seeing something other than 0's in the bottom half of the stats image.    

Since the Diva discussion has been opened up here, a bit of an unrelated-but-still-related question: How far did you go with the Extreme charts in PDF/F2/X? Your trophy log shows that you played all three in 2017, before moving on to Future Tone. Wondering if Future Tone is where you "got good", or if you had already conquered the tracklists of the previous console games beforehand. 

Well, when I was playing through PDF/F2/X, I was discouraged by the lack of a practice mode and assumed that I'd improve at a much quicker rate if I used these other games as a warm-up before moving on to Future Tone (since it includes practice mode). I was able to get a few 8 and 9 star perfects along the way, but I didn't make a serious effort to push any further until Future Tone. As much as I like to encourage players to hone their skills in the edit modes of the earlier games, I personally find it faster to improve through constant repetitions in practice mode. The leaderboards of Future Tone also made the idea more appealing since I'm naturally competitive. I never went back to the older games to clean-up, but the idea's crossed my mind from time to time. 

Edited by ExistentialSolid
  • Like 4

I mainly lurk in this thread and am glad to see it reopened! Always love to see your approach on difficult and obscure games.

I'd like to nominate Mr Driller: DrillLand. It's only got 4 achievers between the PS4 and PS5 versions and they're all from Asia.

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/14525-mr-driller-drillland

Here's a thread on the forums about the difficulty.

Edited by Thedah
  • Like 3

Wow that is some insane button pressing you need to do! I have never really been into rhythm games beyond playing Guitar Hero/ Rockband (on easy) at my cousins' houses however when I played Yakuza Like a Dragon, I really enjoyed doing the karaoke songs. Now it is nowhere near as complex as what you're doing in Hatsune but I will admit I liked the challenge of getting at least 90% completion in all of the songs. I am kind of looking forward to this part of the other Yakuza games - right now at least lol.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, da-Noob123 said:

Wow that is some insane button pressing you need to do! I have never really been into rhythm games beyond playing Guitar Hero/ Rockband (on easy) at my cousins' houses however when I played Yakuza Like a Dragon, I really enjoyed doing the karaoke songs. Now it is nowhere near as complex as what you're doing in Hatsune but I will admit I liked the challenge of getting at least 90% completion in all of the songs. I am kind of looking forward to this part of the other Yakuza games - right now at least lol.

Just watching that Hatsune Miku video, made me whince. I love music games but I stopped playing them mostly since the PS2 era.

I think for me the biggest problem with music games now, is that they slowly became increasingly too difficult. I mean I guess that's to be expected over time.

I mean, Beatmania IIDX 30, most of the songs on the game are way more intense than playing actual music on a real piano.

The time required to get good at playing musical games now, it honestly seems better to take up a real instrument route, or at least it seems a way more better use of your time, in that you can go over to someone's house and they have a piano there and your skills can be used elsewhere outside of the PS4 and electricity.

I think these days something like Rock Smith on PS3 and PS4 that allows you to play on a real guitar, that just seems somehow a slightly better use of one's time.

That's just me though I guess. lol

• Like 1

Hey welcome back.

I want to switch my original recommendation of Ys Origin to Pure Pool. With only 13 100% achievers it’s both difficult and obscure. Try and beat my current fastest completion time, which can easily be done btw.. ?

• Like 1