ExistentialSolid's "Please Destroy Me" Detour

ExistentialSolid

New Nomination List ~ Poll #1  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following games would you like to see next?

• Moon Hunters
    • Attacking Zegeta 2
    • GoNNer 2
    • XPosed Reloaded
    • Mr. Driller: DrillLand

11 hours ago, realm722 said:

Amazing job with this man - awesome 1st update. I hadn't commented but voted for Rain World for selfish reasons given it's such a unique game that I was kinda hoping you'd be the "test dummy" for it and lay out a plan of attack if I ever got bold enough to attempt it lol.

If you’re scared to try it, then start out as The Monk for a more peaceful experience. If you have a PS plus subscription, I recommend using the save cloud as a backup, in case you get stuck in an area because of its difficulty. Your map progress is also saved across characters, so you can also use this playthrough to scout out the areas and become more familiar with the map, so that you can designate paths to follow and become stuck less often. Then, once you’re more comfortable with the game, start again as The Survivor. If you have patience to tolerate some unfair deaths and harsh mechanics, then Rain World is a phenomenal experience.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, realm722 said:

Amazing job with this man - awesome 1st update. I hadn't commented but voted for Rain World for selfish reasons given it's such a unique game that I was kinda hoping you'd be the "test dummy" for it and lay out a plan of attack if I ever got bold enough to attempt it lol. But these Splasher updates are phenomenal - I love the fact you're including your speedrun times in YouTube videos not only are they entertaining but they also provide a huge help to those in the future who'll attempt them given Splasher isn't the biggest game in the world. Kinda wish I had done it in hindsight for my Unravel Two runs. Keep up the great work!

Thank you! I really appreciate the kind words! ? Knowing that people enjoy these updates makes it all worthwhile! 

Rain World looks gorgeous and I hope I'm able to give it a try sometime regardless of whether it wins a future poll! The trophy guide on PSNP for Rain World seems like top-notch material and I'm sure it'd be able to help quite a bit more than my updates would if you decide to give the game a shot sometime!  

Edited by ExistentialSolid

If by chance Rain World ever gets nominated in this challenge, I only have one tip. Do not kill too many lizards in one region, or else you will get a nasty surprise...

Glad to see you doing Splasher though! This will likely be something for you to show off in your trophy cabinet. Good luck! 

Edited by Trumpet_Boi_208
Grammar :(
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ExistentialSolid said:

Sorry to post again so soon but I managed back-to-back #1 spots for levels 7 and 8 in Splasher and had to share! :highfive:Level 7 took about 2 hours of grinding and level 8 took roughly 5 hours. 

Splasher-20210202184839

Splasher-20210203034626

Here's the videos for both levels if you'd like to see them!

Level 7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVJw23-KbeA

Level 8: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxE-uIX9q8M

Nice job! Some really fast times you got there. ? Pretty sure I still have a couple #1's myself, hopefully you don't make me redownload ?

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Trumpet_Boi_208 said:

If by chance Rain World ever gets nominated in this challenge, I only have one tip. Do not kill too many lizards in one region, or else you will get a nasty surprise...

Glad to see you doing Splasher though! This will likely be something for you to show off in your trophy cabinet. Good luck! 

Thanks! ? 
You've got me curious about this "nasty surprise." I'll have to google later!

6 hours ago, MiIeski said:

Nice job! Some really fast times you got there. 1f605.png Pretty sure I still have a couple #1's myself, hopefully you don't make me redownload 1f630.png

Thank you! Sounds like a challenge to me! ? I hope you're ready to redownload!

10 hours ago, ExistentialSolid said:

Sorry to post again so soon but I managed back-to-back #1 spots for levels 7 and 8 in Splasher and had to share! :highfive:Level 7 took about 2 hours of grinding and level 8 took roughly 5 hours. 

I think you really like the grind. I mean, you like the replay value of games more that other factors; I think that's the reason is such difficult for you to stick to a completion record. Even so, with such powerful abilities and skills I would play more and more varying titles, to be honest. Outstanding job in playing this game, looks fun and surely addicting. Also, just for mentioning, you could easily finish your Final Fantasy titles out there, specially IX; just a suggestion -not nominating-, which could boost your impressive status way further (speaking about for finishing your games). 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Xenoblast91 said:

I think you really like the grind. I mean, you like the replay value of games more that other factors; I think that's the reason is such difficult for you to stick to a completion record. Even so, with such powerful abilities and skills I would play more and more varying titles, to be honest. Outstanding job in playing this game, looks fun and surely addicting. Also, just for mentioning, you could easily finish your Final Fantasy titles out there, specially IX; just a suggestion -not nominating-, which could boost your impressive status way further (speaking about for finishing your games). 

Thanks, I appreciate the compliments but my skills are nothing special. xD Nearly anyone could replicate anything I've done with practice and the right mindset. Splasher is a blast to play so that really helps keep me motivated! As far as my completion rate goes, I've accepted the fact that my profile will never really fit the mold of an "ideal" profile. There are plenty of games I've started but will probably never finish because my attention eventually drifts elsewhere. I may definitely return to games like FFIX in the future if they sound fun in the moment but I don't really want to force myself to finish games for the sake of maintaining a high completion rate. I love a challenge though so I do plan on completing many other difficult games!

8 hours ago, JohnlMatrix said:

Good god, number one spots in levels 7 and 8. Both of them took me a while to get the platinum times on but I'm nowhere near the top spot xD, very impressive. I'm curious if your full game speedrun times will be that good as well.

Ultimately, beating that platinum time is what's most important although I'm sure you've got what it takes to earn top spots in any of these levels if you're willing to put in the time. ?I'm been curious about the full game speedruns too! One of the downsides to my leaderboard-focused approach to platinum medal grinding is that some of the strategies used in the individual level runs are too risky to be used with consistency during full game speedruns (at least at my current skill level). I may need to make another quick pass at each of the individual levels in an effort to improve consistency by practicing safer, speedrun-viable routing unless I want to finish a speedrun with 50+ deaths. ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ExistentialSolid said:

Ultimately, beating that platinum time is what's most important although I'm sure you've got what it takes to earn top spots in any of these levels if you're willing to put in the time. 1f604.pngI'm been curious about the full game speedruns too! One of the downsides to my leaderboard-focused approach to platinum medal grinding is that some of the strategies used in the individual level runs are too risky to be used with consistency during full game speedruns (at least at my current skill level). I may need to make another quick pass at each of the individual levels in an effort to improve consistency by practicing safer, speedrun-viable routing unless I want to finish a speedrun with 50+ deaths. 1f605.png

That's what I thought as well. Many risky strats could save some time in a speedrun but would probably end up costing us up to 30 seconds if we die. Maybe it's not worth it. If you manage to get platinum times in speedruns while dying all that remains will be the no-death run where you can use safe strategies. Except for the levels where you're chased by acid that is. In the end it will come down to nerves.^^

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CrimsonMercury said:

Finally got my Splasher plat today:). Good luck to @ExistentialSolid and everyone else still working on it!

Whoa, huge congrats @CrimsonMercury! :yay: You absolutely dominated Splasher, even managing to earn the fastest overall completion time on PSNP! 
Great work! :dance:

• Like 1

Wow, without really going for top spots I was quite surprised when I managed to earn the second spot on level 15 with only mileski being faster. Considering what it took to get there, maintaining momentum, activating platforms a tad earlier and so on I gotta say: Congrats @ExistentialSolid, you managed to beat that by nine tenths of a second. And we know how much time that this when going for individual level plat medals.

• Like 1

You should rename the title to "destroying games" because you are killing it with those times. Not going to lie, I struggle a lot with level 15 and then you beat it with 2 seconds to spare. Keep it going.

Can someone explain what this "ink delay" is that I keep reading about? I have never noticed any delay when it comes to ink.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, ExistentialSolid said:

@Mileski, is this enough #1 thievery for you to redownload Splasher? :lol: 

Splasher-20210206014041

Splasher-20210206185614

In all seriousness, your times were really fun to race against! 1f604.png
I must have watched your runs a dozen times each looking for openings and ways to optimize my time.

~ Videos of the runs ~
Level 14: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_aypf9kRzM

Level 15: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6UXL9vVHwo

Well fucking done mate, honestly I'm not sure if I could beat my own times at this point! I'll redownload once I clean some stuff up. Gonna have to do some research myself ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ExistentialSolid said:

@Mileski, is this enough #1 thievery for you to redownload Splasher? :lol: 

Splasher-20210206014041

Splasher-20210206185614

In all seriousness, your times were really fun to race against! 1f604.png
I must have watched your runs a dozen times each looking for openings and ways to optimize my time.

~ Videos of the runs ~
Level 14: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_aypf9kRzM

Level 15: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6UXL9vVHwo

My internet is so bad that most of my times aren't even registered on the leaderboards, yet you're here getting number 1 spots like it's going out of fashion?. Good job buddy

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JohnlMatrix said:

Wow, without really going for top spots I was quite surprised when I managed to earn the second spot on level 15 with only mileski being faster. Considering what it took to get there, maintaining momentum, activating platforms a tad earlier and so on I gotta say: Congrats @ExistentialSolid, you managed to beat that by nine tenths of a second. And we know how much time that this when going for individual level plat medals.

Thanks! ? I'm lucky I had Mileski's route to study; if he hadn't made a video of his run, I probably would never have picked up on some of the optimizations that went into those nine tenths of a second.

12 hours ago, Danny_Johansen said:

You should rename the title to "destroying games" because you are killing it with those times. Not going to lie, I struggle a lot with level 15 and then you beat it with 2 seconds to spare. Keep it going.

Can someone explain what this "ink delay" is that I keep reading about? I have never noticed any delay when it comes to ink.

Thank you! ? Level 15's platinum medal time was brutal and I struggled a lot more than I may have made myself appear if I'm being honest!

I'm still a little uncertain on what "ink delay" is myself. According to the others, there is occasional delay when firing the yellow ink which can lead to an early death if you happen to get unlucky. Some believe the delay could be caused by button remapping via the PS4's accessibility settings (some players opt to map red ink to L1 and yellow ink to R1). I don't think I've experienced any delay myself though so other players may be better able to explain the issue. Since you have the most recent experience with the issue @CrimsonMercury, would you be able to explain the delay to us? 

12 hours ago, MiIeski said:

Well fucking done mate, honestly I'm not sure if I could beat my own times at this point! I'll redownload once I clean some stuff up. Gonna have to do some research myself 1f602.png

Haha, no rush! ? And thanks! I'm confident you could beat any of my best times with practice so it's really only a matter of how competitive you want to get!

11 hours ago, CrimsonMercury said:

My internet is so bad that most of my times aren't even registered on the leaderboards, yet you're here getting number 1 spots like it's going out of fashion1f602.png. Good job buddy

Thanks! ? The leaderboards have been a mess for me too even with decent internet so it's not just you, don't worry!

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, ExistentialSolid said:

I'm still a little uncertain on what "ink delay" is myself. According to the others, there is occasional delay when firing the yellow ink which can lead to an early death if you happen to get unlucky. Some believe the delay could be caused by button remapping via the PS4's accessibility settings (some players opt to map red ink to L1 and yellow ink to R1). I don't think I've experienced any delay myself though so other players may be better able to explain the issue. Since you have the most recent experience with the issue @CrimsonMercury, would you be able to explain the delay to us? 

It's basically when the game registers your yellow ink input maybe a tenth of a second too late, which can cause you to jump straight into hazards in areas where you'll need to bounce from a very specific spot to reach the next wall/ceiling/platform. It can also lead to you falling off of a platform if you wait to bounce till the last moment. I don't think it's exclusive to a remapped button either because I left both the red and yellow ink as the default face buttons and only remapped my water gun to R2.

I'm not sure what exactly causes this to happen but it's probably because the game moves at such a fast pace. I never ran into the issue once until I started doing the full game speedruns where it occurred quite frequently and lead to death almost every time. If you're lucky enough to never encounter this problem at all during your time with the game then I can guarantee you'll have a much easier time with the platinum overall.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JohnlMatrix said:

@ExistentialSolid: I was wondering, since you like to challenge yourself even further by trying to obtain Top 9 ranks for the individual levels, whether or not you will try to achieve the no-death run and the selfish speedrun plat medal at the same time.

Right now, it's tough to say. I think the platinum medal for the Selfish speedrun will happen first but there's a good chance that I'll naturally earn the platinum medal again during the no-death run if I keep up a reasonable pace. Since a lot of the obstacles in Splasher operate on cycles, it is probably safest to be relatively quick anyway to ensure that I don't get out of sync with any dangerous sections of a level. Slowing down, while helpful in some cases, will generally make the levels riskier/more unpredictable in the long run.  

That said, I have been considering attempting the no-death run on Selfish before moving on to the Standard/Gotta Catch'em All speedruns since the routing will be fresh in my mind, but I haven't decided just yet!

• Like 1