ExistentialSolid's "Please Destroy Me" Detour

ExistentialSolid

New Nomination List ~ Poll #1  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following games would you like to see next?

• Moon Hunters
    • Attacking Zegeta 2
    • GoNNer 2
    • XPosed Reloaded
    • Mr. Driller: DrillLand

For anyone interested:

Managed to get the standard speedrun plat medal with about 36 seconds to spare.

Now that this has been taken care of I'm not quite sure what task to approach next. I'll probably practice the individual levels for 100% completition in order to be prepared for the gotta catch'em all speedrun and attempt no-death runs in a somewhat alternating fashion.

The problem with the no-death run for me is that each time I die and go back to the beginning I obviously have to get through the early levels to build a streak. This feels like an extreme slog and bores me to no end which in return results in me making mistakes and sometimes dying even earlier because I didn't pay enough attention. When that happens I'm even more bored and prone to making mistakes which is the reason for me probably tackling the gotta catch'em all speedrun in between.

To anyone else attempting this: Good luck, I wish you success in your efforts :-).

Edited by JohnlMatrix
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, JohnlMatrix said:

For anyone interested:

Managed to get the standard speedrun plat medal with about 36 seconds to spare.

Now that this has been taken care of I'm not quite sure what task to approach next. I'll probably practice the individual levels for 100% completition in order to be prepared for the gotta catch'em all speedrun and attempt no-death runs in a somewhat alternating fashion.

The problem with the no-death run for me is that each time I die and go back to the beginning I obviously have to get through the early levels to build a streak. This feels like an extreme slog and bores me to no end which in return results in me making mistakes and sometimes dying even earlier because I didn't pay enough attention. When that happens I'm even more bored and prone to making mistakes which is the reason for me probably tackling the gotta catch'em all speedrun in between.

To anyone else attempting this: Good luck, I wish you success in your efforts :-).

Great work! ?

I know exactly what you mean about being bored to no end spending 20 or so minutes trudging through the first 10-12 levels of a no-death run (and making tons of careless mistakes out of impatience along the way). What's been helping me cope with the grind is to mute the game and watch something on YouTube/Twitch until I reach level 12 (the lasers in level 12 have sound cues that are helpful to listen for) and, once I'm there, I unmute the game and put all my focus on the remainder of the no-death run. It's still a slog but it feels more bearable this way.

Either way, you only have two things standing in the way of your next platinum: the 100% platinum medal and the no-death run completion! Good luck! 

Edited by ExistentialSolid
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ExistentialSolid said:

Great work! ?

I know exactly what you mean about being bored to no end spending 20 or so minutes trudging through the first 10-12 levels of a no-death run (and making tons of careless mistakes out of impatience along the way). What's been helping me cope with the grind is to mute the game and watch something on YouTube/Twitch until I reach level 12 (the lasers in level 12 have sound cues that are helpful to listen for) and, once I'm there, I unmute the game and put all my focus on the remainder of the no-death run. It's still a slog but it feels more bearable this way.

Either way, you only have two things standing in the way of your next platinum: the 100% platinum medal and the no-death run completion! Good luck! 

Funny that you mention it^^. If I play something that isn't story-heavy I tend to either be in a party or listen to podcasts or something on youtube xD.

I never played Splasher with in-game sound. Also the laser never posed a problem except for one time but that wasn't because I didn't hear the sound cue. It was me doing some weird movement.

I saw that you also got the standard plat. Congrats :-). How are your efforts going? (I know that you'll post an update tomorrow and obviously don't want you to spoil everything beforehand but just a quick glimpse would be cool.)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JohnlMatrix said:

How are your efforts going? (I know that you'll post an update tomorrow and obviously don't want you to spoil everything beforehand but just a quick glimpse would be cool.)

Sorry for the late reply! My efforts have been going very well! I've been trying to think of a clever way to tease some of the contents of the next update without outright spoiling it, but I haven't had any luck. ? I'm planning to post the next update in the next few hours though so, this time, I'll save the details for the update (I'll put more thought into previews in the future though!).

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, JohnlMatrix said:

2. The End is Nigh is challenging (not as challenging as Splasher and certainly no 10/10 difficulty-wise) and really fun to play. It's from Edmund McMillen, the creative mind behind Super Meat Boy and The Binding of Isaac. It is a well thought out game that I think you will enjoy. I also want to motivate other people to play it since it only has a couple hundred owners on this site.

First of all, congrats on the deathless run! That goes for both of you, you are doing amazing progress! 

Secondly... yes! I don't think TEiN is difficult (like, maybe a 7/10?) but it is the best platformer I have ever played, and I just wanted to mention this here to also further encourage other people to give it a try :) 

• Like 3

Congrats guys! Splasher plats inbound! 

I’m really looking forward to giving it a shot, all of your updates, videos, tips and strategies (thanks to other players also!) will be so incredibly helpful and I’m glad in instances like this the community comes together to help and encourage each other through it!

2 hours ago, JohnlMatrix said:

The End is Nigh...

...I also want to motivate other people to play it since it only has a couple hundred owners on this site.

I’ve only ever read positive things about The End is Nigh and it’s also a game I’m going to try in the near future! I’d be sure to vote for it if it makes the poll :)

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Arcesius said:

First of all, congrats on the deathless run! That goes for both of you, you are doing amazing progress! 

Secondly... yes! I don't think TEiN is difficult (like, maybe a 7/10?) but it is the best platformer I have ever played, and I just wanted to mention this here to also further encourage other people to give it a try :) 

Thank you :-). Good to know that someone else also sees it this way. The only issue could be the difficulty. Since the challenge is to "get destroyed", implying very hard games are to be played, I'm not sure if TEIN fits that premise. It could be regarded as being too easy in a lineup with Ikaruga, Splasher and what is yet to be voted. But it is no pushover either^^.

4 hours ago, Eqill5 said:

Congrats guys! Splasher plats inbound!

I’ve only ever read positive things about The End is Nigh and it’s also a game I’m going to try in the near future! I’d be sure to vote for it if it makes the poll :)

Thank you :-). Glad to hear you're willing to give TEIN a try. I can't imagine you'll be disappointed. Also thanks for considering it with your vote if it makes the poll.

Edited by JohnlMatrix
  • Like 4

Thank you and congrats on your successful deathless run! :dance: 

I've actually had The End is Nigh sitting in my backlog since it first went on sale shortly after release but I haven't played it yet! I know it's supposed to be fantastic and I've been looking forward to playing it but I keep putting it off. ? I've just swapped out Deadbolt on the nomination list for The End is Nigh!

I'm starting to think I've committed a crime leaving the game to rot in my backlog for as long as I have. ?

Let me put it this way: If you liked the art style and tight gameplay of Super Meat Boy and can't think of a reason not to like The End is Nigh.^^

• Like 1

Following this topic. I've just finished reading the whole thread and I really liked not just the idea but also the details of your meticulous approaches to completion, one can tell there's a lot of dedication in here! Congrats on that Ikaruga plat, the runs look just amazing, and good luck with Splasher, you're almost there ? I might give Splasher a try, hard platforming games are amongst my favourite ones to complete, and the gameplay seems kind of fun.

Regarding nominations, every game I could think of has already been nominated, so I'm delaying my power here. In any case, I don't know how experienced you are in driving simulator-ish games, but that GT Sport plat in under 300 hours could be quite difficult to achieve. There's a lot to online to win in and a lot of offline grind to get to max exp level.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2021 at 3:55 AM, Arcesius said:

Haha don't worry.. I purchased it on release and left it sitting on my PS4 for 1.5 years... ? From watching some gameplay I actually didn't think it would be THAT great, but when I finally go to it, I was really impressed. The gameplay is one thing, and in this game it is tight AF, but it is the entire package... the atmosphere, the themes, the gameplay, the music... It really is a complete package. 

Shameless plug to my own review of the game for anyone interested... ? Here you go! 

Now, Splasher... you know, reading your awesome updates is really putting me in the mood to finally start this one! I agree with @Eqill5 as well, you are really creating a great thread and playlist for future players looking for help at achieving this plat! I for one will make sure to refer to your vids whenever I get stuck :) Really good job so far... Keep it up!

Any idea how many hours you already put into this game? I am aware that you probably could have gotten it much quicker if you hadn't aimed for a top-9 spot everywhere, but I'm still curious. I hear very different estimates depending on who you ask ?

Just checked out your review for TEiN and you've definitely sold me on it (well, besides the bit about the SMC)! I'm generally used to fast-paced platformers but it's interesting that you've described TEiN as being a much slower experience (it sounds like a game that prioritizes precision over speed and reflex).

And thank you so much! ? Good luck with Splasher and I hope some of my videos will help you shave that extra bit of time off the clock if you decide to use them!

I'm not entirely sure how much time I've played if I'm being honest. ? According to exophase, I've spent 119 hours playing Splasher. But that number, like you've said, is going to be heavily inflated by me having sunk into the abyss that is the leaderboards. There are at least 4 levels that I spent 5 hours on and at least a dozen or so that I've spent 2+ hours on (earning the individual level platinum medals alone would generally take me about 30-45 minutes per level). For a general completion estimate, I would imagine 70-100 hours would be expected for most players. 

On 2/23/2021 at 7:27 AM, JohnlMatrix said:

Let me put it this way: If you liked the art style and tight gameplay of Super Meat Boy and can't think of a reason not to like The End is Nigh.^^

Oh, I have no doubt that the game is going to be amazing! ? TEiN is just a victim of my endless backlog more than anything.

On 2/23/2021 at 9:16 AM, FrediPy_ said:

Following this topic. I've just finished reading the whole thread and I really liked not just the idea but also the details of your meticulous approaches to completion, one can tell there's a lot of dedication in here! Congrats on that Ikaruga plat, the runs look just amazing, and good luck with Splasher, you're almost there ? I might give Splasher a try, hard platforming games are amongst my favourite ones to complete, and the gameplay seems kind of fun.

Regarding nominations, every game I could think of has already been nominated, so I'm delaying my power here. In any case, I don't know how experienced you are in driving simulator-ish games, but that GT Sport plat in under 300 hours could be quite difficult to achieve. There's a lot to online to win in and a lot of offline grind to get to max exp level.

Whoa, thank you for taking the time to read the entire thread! ? I'm really happy to hear that you like what I've posted so far and I'll try my best to earn that follow! Splasher's gameplay was some of the most fun I've had with a platformer in quite some time, so I'd absolutely recommend checking it out if hard platformers are your thing. Considering you have the patience to earn the SMB plat, I have no doubt you could earn the Splasher platinum too if you set your mind to it!

You may be right that the GT Sport plat would be difficult to achieve in under 300 hours but I'll take a chance on it regardless if it manages to win a future poll since there's some ambiguity! ? 

Edited by ExistentialSolid
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ExistentialSolid said:

It finally happened everyone! :platinum:
After 100+ hours of grinding, Splasher was unable to destroy me! :dance: 
Thank you all so much for sticking with me through through this gem of a platformer! 
I had a ton of fun and I'm already looking forward to the game you all will choose next!

Splasher-20210223102450

PS: Since there's still a lot of time left until the next update, I may try to trim down my times on both this run and my Standard runs! We'll see! 

That time was dangerously close to the platinum medal requirement. My hands get sweaty just from thinking about that. Great job though! It really makes me wonder if you CAN get destroyed.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ExistentialSolid said:

It finally happened everyone! :platinum:
After 100+ hours of grinding, Splasher was unable to destroy me! :dance: 
Thank you all so much for sticking with me through through this gem of a platformer! 
I had a ton of fun and I'm already looking forward to the game you all will choose next!

Splasher-20210223102450

PS: Since there's still a lot of time left until the next update, I may try to trim down my times on both this run and my Standard runs! We'll see! 

Nice work! Well deserved.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Trumpet_Boi_208 said:

That time was dangerously close to the platinum medal requirement. My hands get sweaty just from thinking about that. Great job though! It really makes me wonder if you CAN get destroyed.

I actually spent the last 20 minutes of that run assuming that I was well over the platinum medal time ? (I was only continuing for the sake of practice), but the last few levels went surprisingly well and I was hit with shock just before hitting the finish line that my minutes of failure in the first half of the run didn't cost me the platinum medal. Hopefully I'll be able to improve my time a bit over the next several days! Thank you! ?

5 hours ago, CrimsonMercury said:

Nice work! Well deserved.

Thanks! ? Your deathless restart tip saved me a ton of extra grinding, so thank you x2! 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, FrediPy_ said:

16 hours ago, ExistentialSolid said:

You may be right that the GT Sport plat would be difficult to achieve in under 300 hours but I'll take a chance on it regardless if it manages to win a future poll since there's some ambiguity! 1f605.png 

I’m quite tempted to re-install GT Sport to check how many hours it took me, as there’s a stat in your profile on the game which tells you your “Hours driven” if I remember correctly. Could be a good reference nonetheless!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eqill5 said:

I’m quite tempted to re-install GT Sport to check how many hours it took me, as there’s a stat in your profile on the game which tells you your “Hours driven” if I remember correctly. Could be a good reference nonetheless!

No need to reinstall it, you can check some of these stats on your profile on kudosprime, and luckily enough the time driven is one of those! 5 days, 7 hours, which makes 127 hours just of driving, no menuing, loading times or waiting for online races, which could increase that number a tad. You must be quite good at racing games, I don't think I'll manage to win 91 out of the minimum 322 races ?

Btw, congrats on that Splasher plat! I am already so looking forward to the next challenge ?

Edited by FrediPy_
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, FrediPy_ said:

No need to reinstall it, you can check some of these stats on your profile on kudosprime, and luckily enough the time driven is one of those! 5 days, 7 hours, which makes 127 hours just of driving, no menuing, loading times or waiting for online races, which could increase that number a tad. You must be quite good at racing games, I don't think I'll manage to win 91 out of the minimum 322 races 1f605.png

I had no idea that existed, will save me reinstalling it, thank you! Thanks for the kind words but I only believe I’m average at racing, some people can set alien speed lap times that I can never come close to the region of matching! 

How close to 91 are you? If you don’t mind me asking. It’s a great goal to aim for, reaching the total wins before the total races trophy, but if you enjoy it and play regardless they will come eventually! :)

• Like 1