ExistentialSolid's "Please Destroy Me" Detour

ExistentialSolid

New Nomination List ~ Poll #1  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following games would you like to see next?

• Moon Hunters
    • Attacking Zegeta 2
    • GoNNer 2
    • XPosed Reloaded
    • Mr. Driller: DrillLand

I have to applaud you @ExistentialSolid. You're playing these exceptionally difficult, hard as hell platformers and rogue like games. Since I took up a job a few months ago I've had my play time cut back by a lot.

Difficulty is a factor but what is key is time. The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, great game, great indie I can play on Steam and PS4 respectively, but I don't know if I have the time. I have the game on Steam, but I've only played it for fun. It is hard on top of being very time consuming. Getting that 100 percent will be a real exercise of time and patience. My greatest weakness in trophy hunting is sticking through with long, time consuming games.

When I try Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, I may have to take a few breaks in-between to break up the monotony.

• Like 3

As always, very nice to read. It is funny that I am reading about close-to-torture experiences and Gravitron-induced tears, yet the only thing that comes to my mind is "this looks fun, we should do this sometime, I want to play this game SO badly!". I guess this is why we're all here :P

Jokes aside, congrats mate! Amazing that you've been able to pull this off in between two challenges.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, enaysoft said:

Well done on VVVVVV, just watching the gifs of VVVVVV is giving me stress. lol

By the way how to say that game? Do you say V six times or just make a weird buzzing sound but with V instead of Z?

Now that you mention… I don’t think I’ve ever pronounced VVVVVV out loud, or even thought about it ?

I think I would go for Six Vs or V-Six. Or if you wanna sound fancier, try calling it Six Spikes or Thirty and impress all of your niche gamer friends.

• Like 4

Congrats man! I've played VVVVVV (I pronounce it VVV-VVV btw :P) on PC for a bit and have to say the regular gravitron was already kicking my ass quite a bit in my casual playtrough lol. So all you did for the super gravitron was just practice until you get a feel for it? Or did you also look up videos of the patterns/other clears of people who have mastered it? Tbh, this looks a bit more daunting to me than no death mode even?

• Like 1

Shit. I forgot to vote. I just don’t like Rogue games at all so I won’t be following this progress, but Nuclear Throne would’ve been my pick, because I know it’s a difficult game.

Isn’t The Binding of Isaac a pretty easy but time consuming game? Not really suitable for a Destroy Me challenge imo. You can do this blindfolded ?. Good luck.

And congrats on VVVVVV.

• Like 3

Hey everyone! I'm sorry I've been so behind on replies lately! Thank you all so much for your kind words and support! ?

---

On 3/11/2021 at 2:53 PM, freeman4200 said:

Wow it's been awhile since I popped in here. And luckily it was time for phase 4. I've been slowly grinding the 1000 coins for greed mode on boi. I got greedier finally and holy shit is the boss insane. The main reason I've been doing greed is so I can get holy mantle for the lost.

But I'm glad the game I nominated is winning. Cause as someone else said, having you play this might make me keep grinding so I can plat it as well. 

Freaking so many sales and games for cheap I've gotten a 20 game backlog now. Not including the 10 games on my dashboard. But I'm done buying games. Shit is an addiction. 

Anyways...I'll be popping in here a lot more if boi wins. Would love to get some inspiration!

Hey, I'm glad to see you back! Congrats on having the first player-nominated game to win one of these polls! ?
Since Binding of Isaac managed to come out on top, I hope you're ready to make a push for that plat! :dance:

We've got this!

On 3/12/2021 at 0:07 AM, Trumpet_Boi_208 said:

If BOI wins, then a playthrough with The Lost will by far be the hardest, since he dies in one hit from any source. Although this tip may be useless, considering the intention of this thread is to be destroyed, there is a way to make it somewhat easier. If you buy the Afterbirth DLC, you are able to unlock an item, called the Holy Mantle as a starting item for The Lost. It will let you tank a single hit per room before dying, which can make the ordeal slightly less sadistic. But if you want the extra challenge, by all means, go ahead!

Thanks for the tip! ? I'm not sure how I'll approach my playthrough with The Lost just yet but hopefully I'll come up with a plan once I get there! If I really struggle, save scumming may be the more tempting option considering the state of my wallet. ? 

On 3/16/2021 at 0:01 AM, AJ_Radio said:

I have to applaud you @ExistentialSolid. You're playing these exceptionally difficult, hard as hell platformers and rogue like games. Since I took up a job a few months ago I've had my play time cut back by a lot.

Difficulty is a factor but what is key is time. The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, great game, great indie I can play on Steam and PS4 respectively, but I don't know if I have the time. I have the game on Steam, but I've only played it for fun. It is hard on top of being very time consuming. Getting that 100 percent will be a real exercise of time and patience. My greatest weakness in trophy hunting is sticking through with long, time consuming games.

When I try Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, I may have to take a few breaks in-between to break up the monotony.

Thanks, I really appreciate it! :D

I know exactly what you mean. When I was younger, I'd eagerly jump into RPGs that advertised ridiculous run times because I loved sinking into games that felt like they lasted forever, but now I have enough trouble learning the ins-and-outs of an ordinary RPG battle system let alone sticking with one through to completion. My attention span has slowly started to collapse and I don't think I can do anything to stop it.

Good luck with MGSV! I didn't have the patience to get through it myself but I'm sure you'll be able to succeed where I failed.

On 3/16/2021 at 9:35 AM, Eqill5 said:

Fantastic VVVVVV update @ExistentialSolid, I especially enjoyed the part about crying in the Super Gravitron whilst listening to sad music xD Great effort! Another game on my list of “why do I do this to myself” to attempt in the future!

Thank you! If you're looking to get destroyed, you might as well go all-out and get emotionally destroyed too...right? :lol: If this challenge has taught me anything about myself, it's that I understand my motivations less and less as time goes on. ?

On 3/16/2021 at 3:20 PM, FrediPy_ said:

As always, very nice to read. It is funny that I am reading about close-to-torture experiences and Gravitron-induced tears, yet the only thing that comes to my mind is "this looks fun, we should do this sometime, I want to play this game SO badly!". I guess this is why we're all here :P

Jokes aside, congrats mate! Amazing that you've been able to pull this off in between two challenges.

Exactly! I don't understand it either but, for whatever reason, we're all drawn to games that want to destroy us. ^_^ I can't help but see something challenging and, with all the enthusiasm of a toddler, think "ooh, let me try, let me try!"

Thank you! ?

On 3/16/2021 at 4:53 PM, S_y_n_e_IR_g_Y said:

Haha i feel that so much! :'DDD

@ExistentialSolid good luck with BoI, i'm looking forward to Nuclear Throne soon :D

This is one of a few threads that i really enjoy reading all the time :)

Thank you so much! ? I choked up a little reading that. 
I'm very happy to hear you're enjoying the thread and I can't thank you all enough for your support! <3

On 3/17/2021 at 0:31 AM, enaysoft said:

Well done on VVVVVV, just watching the gifs of VVVVVV is giving me stress. lol

By the way how to say that game? Do you say V six times or just make a weird buzzing sound but with V instead of Z?

On 3/17/2021 at 5:10 AM, FrediPy_ said:

Now that you mention… I don’t think I’ve ever pronounced VVVVVV out loud, or even thought about it 1f605.png

I think I would go for Six Vs or V-Six. Or if you wanna sound fancier, try calling it Six Spikes or Thirty and impress all of your niche gamer friends.

Thanks! I can't even look at the Super Gravitron anymore without feeling stressed, so it's not just you! ?

Oh, there was an interview I stumbled on awhile back where the dev discussed the pronunciation! 
Dev: "I called it “V” during development, but I encourage any sort of funny pronunciation so V-V-V-V-V-V is fine, as is vuh-vuh-vuh or trying to guess how many V’s are in it. Some people call it “Six V’s,” which is probably easiest."

I sorta like "V6" personally, but I think I would just use "V-V-V-V-V-V" if I were speaking to someone unfamiliar with the game. 

On 3/17/2021 at 6:42 AM, Baker said:

Shit. I forgot to vote. I just don’t like Rogue games at all so I won’t be following this progress, but Nuclear Throne would’ve been my pick, because I know it’s a difficult game.

Isn’t The Binding of Isaac a pretty easy but time consuming game? Not really suitable for a Destroy Me challenge imo. You can do this blindfolded 1f601.png. Good luck.

And congrats on VVVVVV.

That's alright, I'll hope to see you around for the next game! ?
Thanks, I'll try my best! ?

On 3/17/2021 at 5:52 AM, Dzware said:

Congrats man! I've played VVVVVV (I pronounce it VVV-VVV btw :P) on PC for a bit and have to say the regular gravitron was already kicking my ass quite a bit in my casual playtrough lol. So all you did for the super gravitron was just practice until you get a feel for it? Or did you also look up videos of the patterns/other clears of people who have mastered it? Tbh, this looks a bit more daunting to me than no death mode even?

Thank you! Don't worry, the regular gravitron destroyed me too in my first few playthroughs. :P 

I tried watching a few other players completing the super gravitron but I wasn't able to really pick up on any strategies as easily as I could by just practicing it myself. Safe/semi-consistent strategies do exist for many of the super gravitron's patterns but they often involve something I couldn't wrap my brain around no matter how long I spent practicing: screen-wrapping

Many of the best super gravitron players are those that can recognize when screen-wrapping is the safest option. For me, I just couldn't process those options in time (I tended to stay inside my box) and, whenever I usually attempted to screen-wrap, it was done in emergencies when I knew I would die otherwise. Players that can get used to screen-wrapping should have a much easier time surviving for a minute but practice is still going to be the deciding factor in pushing through to the end.

Edited by ExistentialSolid
  • Like 4

You’re doing these exceptionally difficult games much quicker than I would of gotten them done. However I can persevere through them, whereas I tend to struggle a lot when I play something that requires 100+ hours to finish. 

Driveclub took over a month on its own. Ridiculous number of trophies, some of those events took a few hours each to earn all stars. Venom Hot Lap 2 and One Man One Engine, for anyone who played them, were very difficult. 

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt took an entire month, total playtime when I was done was around 135 hours. Wasn’t rushing through it, did a lot of stuff that wasn’t necessary for trophies.

• Like 2

First of all good luck with Isaac! While not being exactly the hardest game out there it's one of the most fun ones imo. There's something very satisfying about combining various items and having different synergies each run. Not to mention the amazing artwork! 

I've been playing this game on and off for a while and it was really hard to get into, I'd suggest watching some runs on YouTube to catch up on some little hidden tips that are hard to uncover by yourself. As for the "Complete 20 challenges" trophy, it would be wise to leave out certain challenges until you get done with everything else because after each challenge, an item gets added to the item pool and some of them are quite shit so make sure to look into it more. 

As far as my progress goes, I think I've collected about 290 items but still got loads of boss rushes and endings ahead of me :D Also I feel like filling out the donation machine to 999 coins can be pretty grindy aswell if you don't do it from the start! 

Edited by Miles
  • Like 3

I have been lurking this topic since near the start, and I just want to thank you for one of the most engaging experiences on psnp. I don't have the tolerance for hard games like you do, but this has been one of the most enjoyable topics I've seen. I can't wait for the first BoI update, and you may finally inspire me to try and plat something truly difficult. ?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Moridin83 said:

I have been lurking this topic since near the start, and I just want to thank you for one of the most engaging experiences on psnp. I don't have the tolerance for hard games like you do, but this has been one of the most enjoyable topics I've seen. I can't wait for the first BoI update, and you may finally inspire me to try and plat something truly difficult. 1f601.png

*scratches head* You've done plenty of medium/fairly hard games yourself.

• Like 1

This is such an entertaining thread to follow. I love the concept and how in-depth you are with each game and highlighting your experiences. 
I’m starting to play some longer/harder games myself with the first one being Fortnite. I’ve had an epiphany to just raise my completion rate as much as possible by finishing games I started a while ago. Your determination is motivating me to keep going while I’m grinding through Fortnite. Keep it up mate ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

*scratches head* You've done plenty of medium/fairly hard games yourself.

I mean, I don't do ratalaika games or anything,  but stuff like SMB or Splasher just seem incredibly daunting to me. I'm a grinder, so that gets me through games you can brute force with repetition,  but the skill on these no death runs is just super intimidating. I get frustrated with failure that can kill a solid hour plus like missing the time for a speedrun. Bite sized frustrations are fine, I can re-do pool in Yakuza for hours(and have repeatedly) since it's 30 seconds to 2 or 3 minutes a try, but the time commitment for a speedrun or no death playthrough is not something I've ever really been able to push myself towards.

• Like 1

Just now, Moridin83 said:

I mean, I don't do ratalaika games or anything,  but stuff like SMB or Splasher just seem incredibly daunting to me. I'm a grinder, so that gets me through games you can brute force with repetition,  but the skill on these no death runs is just super intimidating. I get frustrated with failure that can kill a solid hour plus like missing the time for a speedrun. Bite sized frustrations are fine, I can re-do pool in Yakuza for hours(and have repeatedly) since it's 30 seconds to 2 or 3 minutes a try, but the time commitment for a speedrun or no death playthrough is not something I've ever really been able to push myself towards.

So Hard Core mode in Dead Space 2 would give you chills.

On 3/16/2021 at 0:01 AM, AJ_Radio said:

MGSV was an exercise in patience, took me 3 years. It is by no means hard IMO and knowing the games you have conquered I doubt it will be a challenge. But the time and grind factor...ugh.

As for the thread at hand. Damn I missed the follow up votes for the next game and Catherine lost again!

Ah well, at least we will get new updates soon. ?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ExistentialSolid said:

Research is going to be the bane of my existence for this game; I'm so lazy that I often can't be asked to watch the runs of others or sit through lengthy explanations. Maybe I'll look for quick tip videos or short articles and hope they'll help. Ideally, I should be playing this game alongside the wiki and consulting it with each new item I come across, but...that's not gonna happen. 1f602.png

Looks we're in the same boat when it comes to game research lol. But I'm afraid your success will depend on knowing what each items does (its like knowing cards in your deck). I'm sure you're familiar with the Devil Room by now that contains very valuablue items and you're gonna be trading your HP for those so having a wiki open with a list of items at all times is neccesary :P

It's really not as bad as it seems though, especially without DLC. After looking up an item once or twice you'll have a good idea of its effect. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ExistentialSolid said:

I'll take your word on the challenges and check the item rewards for each one before attempting any of them early, thanks! Research is going to be the bane of my existence for this game; I'm so lazy that I often can't be asked to watch the runs of others or sit through lengthy explanations. Maybe I'll look for quick tip videos or short articles and hope they'll help. Ideally, I should be playing this game alongside the wiki and consulting it with each new item I come across, but...that's not gonna happen. 1f602.png

I'm sorry to say that research is, unfortunately enough, quite necessary early on! There are quite a few crappy items that can completely botch a phenomenal run if you aren't careful. Especially when, as Miles mentioned, you come to the Devil Room and need to cough up a heart for the items available!! You'll start catching on tho and should be able to pick out the good stuff after getting your bearings.

• Like 4

I reccomend using the wiki for item descriptions as you get into the harder runs if you haven't memorized everything by then it is a ton of help.  

Also good luck on the platinum this one is both difficult and very grindy but you already have a very impressive platinum list so I am sure you will get it eventually. 

I came here to suggest playing I hate running backwards since only 4 people have achieved it and 2 of them are Floriis.  The requirements seem insane to me. 

• Like 2

This is such a great thread to read! I've been lurking since the beginning and love your in depth analysis of your progress to these challenging platinums. 

Catherine has had a really rough time in these polls hasn't it? 1f602.png I'm sure it's only a matter of time until it wins though!

I've voted for Catherine every time. Hope to see it win one day lol. It's one of my favorite games! Very unique.

• Like 4

On 3/22/2021 at 1:31 PM, Miles said:

Looks we're in the same boat when it comes to game research lol. But I'm afraid your success will depend on knowing what each items does (its like knowing cards in your deck). I'm sure you're familiar with the Devil Room by now that contains very valuablue items and you're gonna be trading your HP for those so having a wiki open with a list of items at all times is neccesary :P

It's really not as bad as it seems though, especially without DLC. After looking up an item once or twice you'll have a good idea of its effect. 

Glad to see there's others out there that don't have much fun doing research :P. I don't mind doing my research before starting a game, but having to keep it up and research throughout the entire process can be a pain. I'm sure you're right though. Having the wiki open to check on new items is the sensible thing to do with a game as cryptic as Isaac so I'll give it a try and see how it goes! 

On 3/22/2021 at 1:46 PM, Joe Dubz said:

I'm sorry to say that research is, unfortunately enough, quite necessary early on! There are quite a few crappy items that can completely botch a phenomenal run if you aren't careful. Especially when, as Miles mentioned, you come to the Devil Room and need to cough up a heart for the items available!! You'll start catching on tho and should be able to pick out the good stuff after getting your bearings.

Ah, I know what you mean! I ran into an item during one of my early runs called "Tiny Planet" which resulted in all my shots orbiting around me instead of traveling along a straight line. I couldn't get used to it at all and died shortly afterwards. ?

You're right, I'll definitely need to dedicate more of my time to research. Even beyond item usage, there's still so much I don't understand (why Angel/Devil doors spawn, how can you tell which walls are breakable, what causes some of the battle room doors to stay locked, etc).

On 3/22/2021 at 2:09 PM, iGGTheEnd said:

I reccomend using the wiki for item descriptions as you get into the harder runs if you haven't memorized everything by then it is a ton of help.  

Also good luck on the platinum this one is both difficult and very grindy but you already have a very impressive platinum list so I am sure you will get it eventually. 

I came here to suggest playing I hate running backwards since only 4 people have achieved it and 2 of them are Floriis.  The requirements seem insane to me. 

Sounds like the wikis are a must if so many of you are recommending them! I'll start checking them out.

Thanks, I'll do my best! ?

Ooh, I've never heard of I Hate Running Backwards but you're right, the requirements do seem ridiculously difficult. Looks like a great fit for the challenge so I'll add it to the nomination list right away! Thank you for the suggestion! 

On 3/22/2021 at 2:38 PM, Thedah said:

This is such a great thread to read! I've been lurking since the beginning and love your in depth analysis of your progress to these challenging platinums. 

I've voted for Catherine every time. Hope to see it win one day lol. It's one of my favorite games! Very unique.

Thank you so much! ? I'm very glad that you've stuck around!
With so much support for Catherine, it seems like a win sooner or later is inevitable!

Edited by ExistentialSolid
  • Like 3