ExistentialSolid's "Please Destroy Me" Detour

ExistentialSolid

New Nomination List ~ Poll #1  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following games would you like to see next?

• Moon Hunters
    • Attacking Zegeta 2
    • GoNNer 2
    • XPosed Reloaded
    • Mr. Driller: DrillLand

On 1/6/2021 at 8:45 PM, Xenoblast91 said:

Just one day out and almost +10 notifications about the thread. It is fun to read this encyclopedia of pain and sorrow and how really enjoy it, LOL.

Was thinking a bit, and can I would nominate Dragon Age: Inquisition? My cousin has it and haven't even play it in long ago. Reading the guide sounds challenging and could be a potential entry in the poll... may be. 

By the way, I admit defeat. I couldn't beat your time in Cuphead my dude. Honestly, I tried and trained a lot to push towards your 10 hours run but, pft. I suck at speedrunning, but I hope to finish it by the weekend any way. There it goes through the toilet my world record leaderboard position of one of my most favorites games. Anyway, let's see what happens later. For my defense I can say that I'm performing way better than when I started it the first time, haha. 

Good luck my buddy in the last part of Ikaruga! xD 

Thanks! :lol: I'm glad you're enjoying the thread so far!

Dragon Age: Inquisition looks exciting; I haven't played a fantasy action-RPG in forever and had no idea DA:I was supposed to be that difficult! If the trophy guide is any indication, it seems like it will definitely present a challenge. I've added it to the nomination list!

I wouldn't lose hope and admit defeat with Cuphead just yet. You can always try again with an alt once you have the confidence to pull it off! Something you could try, if you haven't already, is completing several full runs of the game on fresh saves (making sure to fulfill the requirements for the platinum each run) and seeing how low you can push your time before committing to an actual 2nd attempt at leaderboard glory. You could even set your sights higher and aim for a sub-8 hour run if you get consistent enough at each of the bosses. A-rank practice is great but I'd especially focus on expert mode as I lost tons of time there dying to some of the more difficult bosses. If you really want it, I know you can do it. You've just gotta practice! 

Edited by ExistentialSolid
  • Like 2

Ikaruga is so beautiful, the music and sound is also brilliant.

However, it gives me heart palpitations while I watch, like watching some guy on a tightrope who is about to fall off. Even though this is your prerecorded success, it still makes me nervous to watch.

Well done man! The big daddy of them all STAGE 3!

• Like 1

You know, having watched your run of Chapter 4 it’s safe to say I have absolutely no idea what’s going on there ? I’ve never played a game of this genre, however I can appreciate just how difficult it must be to string all of that together and the dedication it takes to practice until completion. Good work, and go get C3! 

The updates are excellent quality btw!

• Like 2

The game can be summarised in,

- You can switch to be black or white ship, when you are white you absorb white bullets (filling up your bomb gauge) and die from black bullets, and vice versa when you are black ship.

- If you shoot a black ship while white ship you double damage, and vice versa.(Useful on bosses)

- You get a combo each time you shoot either 3 white or black, in a row. Therefore to keep your combo going you need multiplies of three.

b, b, b, w, w, w, b, b, b, b, b, b etc. If you shoot only two and then change colour, you lose ALL your combo. This is the hard part, you need to memorise the entire level and gets the whole stage in 3s.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, enaysoft said:

Ikaruga is so beautiful, the music and sound is also brilliant.

However, it gives me heart palpitations while I watch, like watching some guy on a tightrope who is about to fall off. Even though this is your prerecorded success, it still makes me nervous to watch.

Well done man! The big daddy of them all STAGE 3!

Oh, the music is incredible. Even during practice I sometimes get chills when a run is going well and the music starts to swell in the background.  

Haha, I can definitely understand that feeling. :lol: In this case, after being the guy that fell off the tightrope a few hundred times, I can only watch these runs back with relief. In the moment though, I can tell you my heart was pounding as soon as I got a fully chained run past those turrets! 

Thank you! I'll give stage 3 my best! 

14 hours ago, Eqill5 said:

You know, having watched your run of Chapter 4 it’s safe to say I have absolutely no idea what’s going on there ? I’ve never played a game of this genre, however I can appreciate just how difficult it must be to string all of that together and the dedication it takes to practice until completion. Good work, and go get C3! 

The updates are excellent quality btw!

Thank you, that really means a lot! ? 

I didn't really understand what was going on either at first. ? Much of my experience with Ikaruga has been me staring in awe at someone else's run and wondering how in the world I'm supposed to mimic something that I barely understand in the first place.

Admittedly, Ikaruga can be pretty confusing for a shmup but a lot of the madness starts to subside once you dive in and start practicing. I'm sure you're no stranger to madness yourself though considering you can blast through games like Cloudberry Kingdom (levels 319 and 320 look absolutely ridiculous). Congrats on surviving 319 and good luck with 320 btw! I'll try my best with C3 in the meantime!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, enaysoft said:

The game can be summarised in,

Thanks for explaining this, having rewatched it knowing how things work has helped me understand but it’s no less chaotic haha!

2 hours ago, ExistentialSolid said:

*snip*

I can relate to that, watching gameplay or reaching a level for first time can sometimes be daunting, it was like that on CBK. You think to yourself “how the hell am I supposed to do this” but as soon as you start physically doing it on your own it becomes much clearer.

Thanks for the encouragement! I have had to take a break from the barrage of fireballs and lasers for a while but will return to the challenge soon! 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 3:51 AM, ExistentialSolid said:

Thanks! :lol: I'm glad you're enjoying the thread so far!

Dragon Age: Inquisition looks exciting; I haven't played a fantasy action-RPG in forever and had no idea DA:I was supposed to be that difficult! If the trophy guide is any indication, it seems like it will definitely present a challenge. I've added it to the nomination list!

I wouldn't lose hope and admit defeat with Cuphead just yet. You can always try again with an alt once you have the confidence to pull it off! Something you could try, if you haven't already, is completing several full runs of the game on fresh saves (making sure to fulfill the requirements for the platinum each run) and seeing how low you can push your time before committing to an actual 2nd attempt at leaderboard glory. You could even set your sights higher and aim for a sub-8 hour run if you get consistent enough at each of the bosses. A-rank practice is great but I'd especially focus on expert mode as I lost tons of time there dying to some of the more difficult bosses. If you really want it, I know you can do it. You've just gotta practice! 

First, you masochist, lol, this is an intriguing thread idea.

DA:I is a great game but only really challenging on Nightmare (very hard) but only in the beginning- say first 10-20 hours especially if it is your first run. You can apply modifiers (introduced with the last DLC) too if you really want to traumatize yourself. 

As for a game suggestion why not go back to MGS4 if you still have it, even if it is just for the Big Boss Emblem as the 8 minimum playthroughs needed can be tedious and if you can do the BBE everything is just a formality.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, da-Noob123 said:

First, you masochist, lol, this is an intriguing thread idea.

DA:I is a great game but only really challenging on Nightmare (very hard) but only in the beginning- say first 10-20 hours especially if it is your first run. You can apply modifiers (introduced with the last DLC) too if you really want to traumatize yourself. 

As for a game suggestion why not go back to MGS4 if you still have it, even if it is just for the Big Boss Emblem as the 8 minimum playthroughs needed can be tedious and if you can do the BBE everything is just a formality.

Thanks, I'm glad you like the idea! ?

Haha, well, as tempting as an extra dose of DA:I traumatization sounds, my masochism doesn't usually extend to challenges that aren't rewarded with shiny trophies so I will probably be staying far away from those modifiers! It's nice to hear that Nightmare will be a challenge though (at least initially).

I've been tempted to go back to both MGS4 and MGS2 for their platinum trophies so returning to 4 may very well happen some day. I've never completed a "perfect" run of any MGS game but I've always imagined how satisfying it must feel to get one done especially considering some of the ridiculously intimidating requirements for success. A Big Boss Emblem run alone requires the player to: finish the game in less than 5 hours, use 0 continues, use 0 health items, 0 alerts, 0 kills, no special items, and to play on Boss Extreme mode. I'd probably need to play MGS4 at least a few times anyway to reacquaint myself with the controls/level layouts and to earn some of the recommended essentials for the BBE run like the Solar Gun so I'm sure the tedium of 8 playthroughs will be softened a bit by all the practice required to get that particular run done anyway. MGS4 was a masterpiece so I hope I get around to platting it someday (congrats on earning the platinum yourself!).  

Wow mgs4 sounds traumatic to go for the plat. I'm clearing lots of backlog and games I want to play but I will finish my nightmare dragon age playthrough another day for that shiny plat. I have many games close to platinum but I've always never wanted to hate playing a game so I wait til the game sounds fun to play again and try to get any remaining trophies. Issac is the only game that will never get boring for me. 

Anyways...glad to see you've made progress. Shouldn't be long! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ExistentialSolid said:

Thanks, I'm glad you like the idea! 1f604.png

Haha, well, as tempting as an extra dose of DA:I traumatization sounds, my masochism doesn't usually extend to challenges that aren't rewarded with shiny trophies so I will probably be staying far away from those modifiers! It's nice to hear that Nightmare will be a challenge though (at least initially).

I've been tempted to go back to both MGS4 and MGS2 for their platinum trophies so returning to 4 may very well happen some day. I've never completed a "perfect" run of any MGS game but I've always imagined how satisfying it must feel to get one done especially considering some of the ridiculously intimidating requirements for success. A Big Boss Emblem run alone requires the player to: finish the game in less than 5 hours, use 0 continues, use 0 health items, 0 alerts, 0 kills, no special items, and to play on Boss Extreme mode. I'd probably need to play MGS4 at least a few times anyway to reacquaint myself with the controls/level layouts and to earn some of the recommended essentials for the BBE run like the Solar Gun so I'm sure the tedium of 8 playthroughs will be softened a bit by all the practice required to get that particular run done anyway. MGS4 was a masterpiece so I hope I get around to platting it someday (congrats on earning the platinum yourself!).  

There are 10 "trials" and each has its own trophy. ☠ But seriously some should not be paired with Nightmare.

When I did the BBE I did the 40 hr run first and got the solar gun and maxed out all non-lethal ammo for my BBE run. Then I found an amazing video guide with commentary to follow. Managed a time of 2:25 I think then mopped up the other 6 runs.

Thank you, getting the BBE was one of my proudest moments in gaming. I wanted to platinum the whole MGS series but those VR challenges in MGS2 sucked the life out of me and I quit about 75% in. And Peace Walker, I couldn't beat the  first boss battle with the tank and I disliked the short mission structure (truly a portable game for the Vita imo) so I abandoned it. 3 was by far the easiest and 5 was a grind and also only 2/3 complete sadly.

7 hours ago, freeman4200 said:

Wow mgs4 sounds traumatic to go for the plat. I'm clearing lots of backlog and games I want to play but I will finish my nightmare dragon age playthrough another day for that shiny plat. I have many games close to platinum but I've always never wanted to hate playing a game so I wait til the game sounds fun to play again and try to get any remaining trophies. Issac is the only game that will never get boring for me. 

The hardest part on Nightmare is the trebuchet part before finding Skyhold, once you get past that hump you are well on your way to getting your specialization which makes your run so much easier. I platinumed the PS3&4 editions and since I prefer being a  mage did it  as a Knight Enchanter both times so OP unless it was patched. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, freeman4200 said:

Playing whatever sounds fun in the moment is the healthiest way to game so I wouldn't worry; as long as you're enjoying yourself, that's the important thing. Good luck clearing out your backlog (hopefully your backlog is more manageable than mine)!

Thanks! Things are going well with chapter 3 so far so it should just be a matter of time. ?

29 minutes ago, da-Noob123 said:

There are 10 "trials" and each has its own trophy. 2620.png But seriously some should not be paired with Nightmare.

When I did the BBE I did the 40 hr run first and got the solar gun and maxed out all non-lethal ammo for my BBE run. Then I found an amazing video guide with commentary to follow. Managed a time of 2:25 I think then mopped up the other 6 runs.

Thank you, getting the BBE was one of my proudest moments in gaming. I wanted to platinum the whole MGS series but those VR challenges in MGS2 sucked the life out of me and I quit about 75% in. And Peace Walker, I couldn't beat the  first boss battle with the tank and I disliked the short mission structure (truly a portable game for the Vita imo) so I abandoned it. 3 was by far the easiest and 5 was a grind and also only 2/3 complete sadly.

I'll probably take the coward's way out and earn the modifier-related trophies on an easier difficulty then if I end up playing DA:I. :lol: 

That sounds like a good approach to take for MGS4's trophies, especially if you want to mop up some of the miscellaneous ones. Whoa, that must have been a seriously great video guide! A 2:25 is way below that 5 hour threshold. 

What were the VR challenges like? I'm usually a fan of short but difficult pick-up-and-play challenges so I assumed they would be the most enjoyable part of earning the platinum but I'd start to worry if they were one of the weakest components of the game. I couldn't get into Peace Walker either though I think it was either the gameplay or the story that drove me away since I remember not minding the short mission structure.

5 hours ago, ExistentialSolid said:

Playing whatever sounds fun in the moment is the healthiest way to game so I wouldn't worry; as long as you're enjoying yourself, that's the important thing. Good luck clearing out your backlog (hopefully your backlog is more manageable than mine)!

Thanks! Things are going well with chapter 3 so far so it should just be a matter of time. 1f604.png

I'll probably take the coward's way out and earn the modifier-related trophies on an easier difficulty then if I end up playing DA:I. :lol: 

That sounds like a good approach to take for MGS4's trophies, especially if you want to mop up some of the miscellaneous ones. Whoa, that must have been a seriously great video guide! A 2:25 is way below that 5 hour threshold. 

What were the VR challenges like? I'm usually a fan of short but difficult pick-up-and-play challenges so I assumed they would be the most enjoyable part of earning the platinum but I'd start to worry if they were one of the weakest components of the game. I couldn't get into Peace Walker either though I think it was either the gameplay or the story that drove me away since I remember not minding the short mission structure.

As I recall, if you do a Nightmare run first you will only need 1.5 playthroughs for 100% assuming you have the DLC's and combine trials correctly. 

Yes the guide was amazing! So many pointers, like one that I specifically remember: there is an area in the 1st chapter where you can knock a guard into another one and then stun the 1st guard and since he is touching the 2nd guard they both got stunned. You can literally get through Shadow Moses in under 20 minutes with chaff grenades, the solar gun, and the rail gun. But nothing makes the bike chase easy that is where the boys become men lol..

The VR challenges went from easy to very hard, they have several characters and each has a set to complete. For me the controls were hampering me severely, like some you have to hold up a guards on the map. Easy enough right? Wrong, MGS2 uses the same button to hold up and shoot. Partial press is to hold up a full press fires the gun - you end shooting a lot of guards and then failing. The are gauntlet modes, sniper modes, etc. Each more challenging than the last. I burned through almost 200 I think but hit a wall that I did not feel was worth surmounting any longer and let it go.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, da-Noob123 said:

As I recall, if you do a Nightmare run first you will only need 1.5 playthroughs for 100% assuming you have the DLC's and combine trials correctly. 

Yes the guide was amazing! So many pointers, like one that I specifically remember: there is an area in the 1st chapter where you can knock a guard into another one and then stun the 1st guard and since he is touching the 2nd guard they both got stunned. You can literally get through Shadow Moses in under 20 minutes with chaff grenades, the solar gun, and the rail gun. But nothing makes the bike chase easy that is where the boys become men lol..

The VR challenges went from easy to very hard, they have several characters and each has a set to complete. For me the controls were hampering me severely, like some you have to hold up a guards on the map. Easy enough right? Wrong, MGS2 uses the same button to hold up and shoot. Partial press is to hold up a full press fires the gun - you end shooting a lot of guards and then failing. The are gauntlet modes, sniper modes, etc. Each more challenging than the last. I burned through almost 200 I think but hit a wall that I did not feel was worth surmounting any longer and let it go.

Sounds like it's definitely worth playing on Nightmare from the outset if I want to get everything done in a reasonable amount of time in DA:I. I'll just have to get good! Depending on how many trials need to be tacked onto the Nightmare run, I may opt for 2-2.5 playthroughs though just to prevent some headache. 

If I end up returning to MGS4 someday, checking that video guide out is a must. I think it's an unwritten rule somewhere that sections where a player is shooting from a bike/car/helicopter are always going to be brutally difficult on the hardest difficulty :lol:

Ah, I see. I remember the controls being finicky for MGS2 so I guess it's no surprise that it adds to the difficulty of the VR challenges.  If I can get over the controls hurdle, I'm still optimistic that the challenges would be enjoyable (for me at least) but I guess I won't know for sure until I pick it up again. Hopefully my PS3 survives long enough to see that day.

14 hours ago, ExistentialSolid said:

Sounds like it's definitely worth playing on Nightmare from the outset if I want to get everything done in a reasonable amount of time in DA:I. I'll just have to get good! Depending on how many trials need to be tacked onto the Nightmare run, I may opt for 2-2.5 playthroughs though just to prevent some headache. 

If I end up returning to MGS4 someday, checking that video guide out is a must. I think it's an unwritten rule somewhere that sections where a player is shooting from a bike/car/helicopter are always going to be brutally difficult on the hardest difficulty :lol:

Ah, I see. I remember the controls being finicky for MGS2 so I guess it's no surprise that it adds to the difficulty of the VR challenges.  If I can get over the controls hurdle, I'm still optimistic that the challenges would be enjoyable (for me at least) but I guess I won't know for sure until I pick it up again. Hopefully my PS3 survives long enough to see that day.

You've got some tough games under your belt already that equal these mostly if not harder. Keep in mind DA:I can take over a 100 hours if you do everything (I loved every second, DA is one my all time favorites) but if you streamline it for trophies it would be shorter by at least 20 hours. 

Took a trip down memory lane to the old .org trophy site, it finally got a face-lift. I  will DM you the link as I try to not promote other sites on here. And my time was actually 2:35:35, but it has been 8 years since I accomplished it so I can be forgiven ?.  Good luck on whatever you choose to work on next!

Edited by da-Noob123
Typos
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, da-Noob123 said:

You've got some tough games under your belt already that equal these mostly if not harder. Keep in mind DA:I can take over a 100 hours if you do everything (I loved every second, DA is one my all time favorites) but if you streamline for trophies it would be shorter by at least 20 hours. 

Took a trip down memory to the  old .org trophy site, it finally got a face-lift. I  will DM you the link as I try to not promote other sites on here. And my time was actually 2:35:35, but it has been 8 years since I accomplished it so I  can be forgiven 1f606.png.  Good luck on whatever you choose to work on next!

That's understandable, DA:I does look like a beefy game (not to mention all the DLC) so I'll be sure to expect a serious commitment if the game wins a poll in the future. 

I checked out the video guide you sent and it looks fantastic; I'll definitely use it if I go back for MGS4's platinum! Thank you! ? (2:35:35 is still nuts btw!) 

9 hours ago, Trumpet_Boi_208 said:

Your masochism and perseverance, despite inexperience has inspired me to harbor enough masochism to attempt an ultra-difficult platinum myself. Great job so far with Ikaruga! 

Thank you! :lol: That's great to hear! Which ultra-difficult platinum are you attempting to earn?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ExistentialSolid said:

Thank you! :lol: That's great to hear! Which ultra-difficult platinum are you attempting to earn?

I’m attempting the platinum for Tetris Effect. The main points of concern here would be the 70 second sprint, because that requires an ungodly degree of speed to do, as well as the Master Effect mode, since tetriminos drop at top speed. Expert Journey also worries me, but is not as scary as Sprint and Master. Likely not as difficult as other 10/10 platinums here, such as Ikaruga, or SMB, but still a rock-hard challenge regardless.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Trumpet_Boi_208 said:

I’m attempting the platinum for Tetris Effect. The main points of concern here would be the 70 second sprint, because that requires an ungodly degree of speed to do, as well as the Master Effect mode, since tetriminos drop at top speed. Expert Journey also worries me, but is not as scary as Sprint and Master. Likely not as difficult as other 10/10 platinums here, such as Ikaruga, or SMB, but still a rock-hard challenge regardless.

Nice, you've certainly picked a good platinum to go for! Based on some of the estimates I've seen, Tetris Effect players will often require 200-300+ hours to develop the skill needed to earn the platinum (if you're new to Tetris like me) so, personally, I would say Tetris Effect easily stands toe-to-toe with SMB and Ikaruga in terms of difficulty based on the sheer amount of time required to sufficiently sharpen those Tetris skills. In fact, I think a strong case could be made for it being more difficult than either game. Good luck and don't give up! Let me know once you've earned that platinum! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ExistentialSolid said:

Nice, you've certainly picked a good platinum to go for! Based on some of the estimates I've seen, Tetris Effect players will often require 200-300+ hours to develop the skill needed to earn the platinum (if you're new to Tetris like me) so, personally, I would say Tetris Effect easily stands toe-to-toe with SMB and Ikaruga in terms of difficulty based on the sheer amount of time required to sufficiently sharpen those Tetris skills. In fact, I think a strong case could be made for it being more difficult than either game. Good luck and don't give up! Let me know once you've earned that platinum! 

I think that even if you were a god at modern Tetris, you’d still spend 200 hours grinding away at 1,000,000 tetrimino spins and reaching level 100, so I assume that those two grindy trophies will unlock naturally while building the skill necessary for every possible SS Rank. I’m not new to the game, but I’m not very experienced with the game enough to consider myself a veteran. I played a Tetris game on the Nintendo DS, but my best sprint time was roughly 2 minutes (my current best sprint time in Effect is 1:44), so I’ve still got a long way to go to a 70 second sprint. Thank you for the kind words, and good luck on chapter 3 in Ikaruga!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Vergil said:

Noticed you got Hardcorps. Need to finish that game! Its awesome. If you need a partner for the co-op trophy let me know :)

It's been so long, I'd completely forgotten about Hardcorps! That would be another great PS3 game to finish sometime in the future. I think I still have it installed too from when I last played. I'm unsure when I'll be playing any PS3 games in the near future, but when I do, I'll definitely keep your offer in mind! Thanks! ?