ExistentialSolid's "Please Destroy Me" Detour

ExistentialSolid

New Nomination List ~ Poll #1  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following games would you like to see next?

• Moon Hunters
    • Attacking Zegeta 2
    • GoNNer 2
    • XPosed Reloaded
    • Mr. Driller: DrillLand

About the ink delay, I've heard from someone who remapped the controls in a different game (same method, using accessibility settings) that he also noticed input delays sometimes. Thought it makes sense, especially as Mileski mostly said it was the yellow ink that gave issues, which is what he had remapped actually. I haven't noticed the issue myself so far (though I'm not too far yet in terms of platinum medals progression), though I'm definitely gonna continue using the remapped control scheme (yellow ink to L1, red ink to R1), as using the face buttons for everything seems undoable lol.

• Like 2

I voted Catherine too, because the original game destroyed me hard. I think I was playing the game on easy and even then I had a really hard time getting through it.

It's a great game and the story and atmosphere in general is fantastic and there are so many endings, but my god, it feels like being punished playing it.

I'm kinda sad because both VVVVVV and Splasher just look like dickish and difficult platform games but Catherine has a wide range of difficult stuff in it and is likely more entertaining to watch, providing ExistentialSolid is going to upload movies of his action to youtube.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

I started playing Splasher yesterday. So far I've gotten 11/22 platinum medals for the individual levels, and it's definitely no joke. The times for these medals are ridiculously strict, often requiring you to take very risky routes to even have a chance of making it. However, there were a few times where I thought I played flawlessly but still ended up missing the medal by less than a tenth of a second.

I haven't even tried the full game speedruns yet so I can't say for sure how they compare, but I'm not looking forward to it?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CrimsonMercury said:

I started playing Splasher yesterday. So far I've gotten 11/22 platinum medals for the individual levels, and it's definitely no joke. The times for these medals are ridiculously strict, often requiring you to take very risky routes to even have a chance of making it. However, there were a few times where I thought I played flawlessly but still ended up missing the medal by less than a tenth of a second.

I haven't even tried the full game speedruns yet so I can't say for sure how they compare, but I'm not looking forward to it?

I watched a couple of people on youtube do the platinum times for each level. Many times they would beat levels by a couple of tens or even just a couple of hundreds. Rarely there was a margin of about 1.5 seconds between their PB and the Plat time but they got it by doing ridiculously dangerous skips.

The thing is: you shouldn't even clip a corner and slow down your momentum that way. But that is easier said than done.

Edited by JohnlMatrix
  • Like 1

I’m really looking forward to the updates for Splasher, unless there’s a major turn of events in the poll ? Good luck to the others in here that are attempting it too! 

On 25/01/2021 at 4:21 AM, Spaz said:

I don’t know, it looks pretty difficult even for me.

You shouldn’t doubt yourself @Spaz. You’ve done SMB, that shows you’ve got the perseverance and determination to see a hard game through. Won’t know until you try!

• Like 1

Splasher is definitely the clear winner right now. I was hoping for Catherine as I have played around with the idea of getting for a few years now and was looking forward to seeing updates for it. Maybe next poll as it is beating V to nth degree.

That said, I am looking forward to the next update from ExistentialSolid. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spaz said:

I'm also older than a number of you guys. I'm not saying guys in their 30s or 40s aren't as good as games considering there have always been bad gamers regardless of age, but starting in your 30s your reflexes decline.

I heard that from a lot of people, that getting older slows down your reflexes slightly which is a big deal in games that require frame perfect inputs or something close to that.

But what you should keep in mind is this: You have already done difficult stuff. That's experience that can help you. Before you've done your first difficult plat/game you might not have known whether you can do it or not. As you accumulate more and more difficult plats or 100%s you start to think "I achieved x, why shouldn't I be able to achieve y?".

Although not an easy feat, I think you have a better shot at obtaining the plat in Splasher than someone younger than you with little to no experience when it comes to difficult games. You've done SMB. You probably know the feeling of getting crushed over and over again playing a certain game or trying to complete a certain challenge. You also know how it feels when you finally overcome it. You might have experience with the feeling of being close to an achievement and trying not to choke. The ability to keep a cool head when it matters could be worth more than being of younger age or it's at least debateable.

If you have a general interest in the game I'd say: Go for it. It's really fun and I think you got the skills and could do it if you put your mind to it.

Edited by JohnlMatrix
  • Like 3

On 1/27/2021 at 10:21 AM, Spaz said:

I better do it now before my body deteriorates.

Now that you mention it, I remember thinking something similar quite a few years ago. Not sure if it is bad reaction times, or just not caring as much anymore whether I succeed or not.

I don't tend to play super hard games anymore but as a kid I would always put all my new games on the hardest setting (which at the time not much money for new games so had to make my gameplay experiences last as long as possible)

I remember being really good at games, like when I completed Sonic 2 on day of release on my first go (not a too hard game though) amongst my friends it was always expected that me the master of gaming would be good at any game even on their first go.

But back in 2010 when the Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 came to PS3, I remember thinking wow these trophies are gonna be super easy but not only did I struggle I had to abuse the save state and even then it was hardly a walk in the park. I feel like my reaction time is not so great, even just 10 years ago when I was still in my late 20s...

I would fail in this "DestroyMe" challenge so easily. I already feel old. lol

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ghost said:

Congrats on the Ikaruga :platinum:! :highfive: and best of luck on Splasher

Thank you, I'll give it my all! ?

10 hours ago, enaysoft said:

Now that you mention it, I remember thinking something similar quite a few years ago. Not sure if it is bad reaction times, or just not caring as much anymore whether I succeed or not. [...]

Your Tetris Effect skills are pretty strong recent evidence that your reaction time is no joke. Clearing 40 lines in 1:25 doesn't sound like someone that can't keep up to me! I think the bigger issue here comes down to your motivation.

Caring enough to push to the finish line is the hardest part of the process for me. If you've lost the determination to succeed, then it's not going to matter how good or bad your reflexes are. Difficult games will tear apart your resolve until your patience runs dry and you move on to something else.  

Ultimately, you'll need to find the motivation to succeed for yourself, but I'm convinced you still have what it takes. Some of the most satisfying experiences I've had playing video games have been instances where I get to prove myself wrong. If there is a challenging game out there that you're convinced would destroy you, consider putting it to the test and giving it your all. I think you'll surprise yourself. ?

5 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Nice, looking forward to your posts! I personally also voted for Splasher since I have it installed and ready to go :) I will be tackling it this year for sure. Good luck! 

Thank you! I'll do my best to make my updates worthwhile! ?

Edited by ExistentialSolid
  • Like 3

I absolutely love platformers. I mean, grew up with them. So feel a natural attraction towards them But the fact that this games was developed for speed running can deflect my interest despite looks superb. Would be great to have that platinum. Watched a long play on YouTube and I can say is wonderful. Let's see how you handle it; also, is bittersweet that we can only nominate a single game per user, as I've recently found many other ambitious games which could fit this masochism feast. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xenoblast91 said:

I absolutely love platformers. I mean, grew up with them. So feel a natural attraction towards them But the fact that this games was developed for speed running can deflect my interest despite looks superb. Would be great to have that platinum. Watched a long play on YouTube and I can say is wonderful. Let's see how you handle it; also, is bittersweet that we can only nominate a single game per user, as I've recently found many other ambitious games which could fit this masochism feast. 

Out of curiosity, would you mind naming those games?

@ExistentialSolid : Good luck. :-)

• Like 2

23 hours ago, enaysoft said:

Now that you mention it, I remember thinking something similar quite a few years ago. Not sure if it is bad reaction times, or just not caring as much anymore whether I succeed or not.

I don't tend to play super hard games anymore but as a kid I would always put all my new games on the hardest setting (which at the time not much money for new games so had to make my gameplay experiences last as long as possible)

I remember being really good at games, like when I completed Sonic 2 on day of release on my first go (not a too hard game though) amongst my friends it was always expected that me the master of gaming would be good at any game even on their first go.

But back in 2010 when the Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 came to PS3, I remember thinking wow these trophies are gonna be super easy but not only did I struggle I had to abuse the save state and even then it was hardly a walk in the park. I feel like my reaction time is not so great, even just 10 years ago when I was still in my late 20s...

I was sort of the opposite because I didn't care about the difficulty as long as I enjoyed it.

Even with how hard some of today's indies are, they are a lot more fair. The old games from the NES and SNES era were practically unfair. Didn't help that a majority of games were badly designed with bad controls. That was basically The Angry Video Game Nerd's shtick, playing these old games from decades ago that were horrendously unfair on top of being incredibly cheap.

I struggled with Sonic the Hedgehog 2, it was the first game I played on the Genesis/Megadrive. Found Sonic 3 much easier due to the save feature, which sort of made it a joke compared to the first two games.

I was always good at Mario though. Found all 120 Stars in Super Mario 64, including collecting 100 coins in each world which spawned a star. I can speedrun through Super Mario Bros 3, but I'm nowhere near good enough to play the game at a speedrun competition.

18 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Come on guys, stop using age as an excuse 1f602.png (I know you aren't actually looking for an excuse, don't worry :P

If you ask me, the biggest difference between someone in their mid-20s and mid-30s when it comes to age, is the amount of time you can actually use to practice whatever you are tackling. I never invested a lot of time into gaming when I was younger (I played the ocational JRPG or action game), but even now in my early 30s, now that I have found a passion for challenging games, I usually only have 1-2 hours a day for practice, with some exceptions. 

Gamers in their 20s might be in college, or school, might not yet have a family, etc... if you are in that situation, you might be able to spend more time practicing a single game, and might get it done quicker.

I know people well in their 40s who can do those Street Fighter IV trials with no problem. Truthfully I think we're about average, as most people here are in their late 20s and early mid 30s.

I still don't have a family, am single, and have started to get into hobbies that take me outside of gaming. Experience does play a lot in how well someone plays. However I think when it comes to pixel perfect precision, quick timing and hand eye coordination, the guy aged 20 - 22 is going to have the advantage over someone aged 45.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, JohnlMatrix said:

Out of curiosity, would you mind naming those games?

With pleasure, my mate. My very first attempt with video games was The Incredible Hulk; I vividly remember playing it in my early days, may be around 5 or 6 years old. Apparently, from which my mom had told me in casual conversations, I asked to change the game since I felt it difficult, and then I jumped to other titles like Chester Cheeta which its obvious gameplay trays back to the one and definitive title that marked my rite of passage in the almost reborn industry: Super Mario World. Meticulously, spent a hundred of hours into uncovering its secrets, trying to find all the Star Road by myself; something I couldn't until the internet became accessible. However, I'm so grateful that I could play into a SNES back in the day, when those artifacts were mainly unknown and mostly misunderstood. Also, I tried Kirby's Superstar, Castlevania IV and Donkey Kong Country; don't know, but guess I tried Super Metroid, but maybe I'm confusing it with a similar title. From there, I jumped into the 3D era by the N64 and so on; but was the same, as I loved Mario's games at the time. And thanks to a cousin with whom I grew up, the Game Boy Color was also a huge input for the genre, like one of the TMNT, Super Mario Land and remember briefly one of Mega Man too. In those days I became an avid reader from magazines, any TV show that could talk about games and so on, so got in touch with many other franchises from other companies and genres alike: Mortal Kombat (the GBC helped in this too; a fighting game but I remember a part where you had to navigate in side-scrolling), Crash and Spyro (played it in a pay-to-play local arcade where you can rent a console from about $1-2 per hour or so, since I I wasn't really interested in PS in the time; just for experimenting, honestly). 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Xenoblast91 said:

Speedrunning seems to be a tough sell on PSNP. I think I can count on one hand the number of people I've come across that actually enjoy speedrunning trophies. ? The emphasis on speedrunning aside, Splasher has been a joy to play so far. The controls are silky smooth, the level design is top notch, and the soundtrack rocks. The game feels so perfect that it's really a shame it received so little recognition. 

Well, don't forget you can always swap out your nominated game for something else if you find a game you'd rather see instead! 

19 hours ago, JohnlMatrix said:

@ExistentialSolid : Good luck. :-)

Thanks! ? Good luck to you as well!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, ExistentialSolid said:

1. Fast Falling

After you've been in the air for a set amount of time (around 2-3 seconds), you can fall faster by either holding down or diagonally towards the bottom-left or bottom-right on the Dpad/Analog stick. To explain what I mean, let's take a quick look at this section in level 5

I'm 5 plat medals in, but didn't know about this at all lol. Knowing this earlier could've really saved me a bit of trouble, especially in level 5.. I'll try to remember it for future levels though!

I'm really liking these updates btw man, especially how in depth they are. Keep it up! :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dzware said:

I'm 5 plat medals in, but didn't know about this at all lol. Knowing this earlier could've really saved me a bit of trouble, especially in level 5.. I'll try to remember it for future levels though!

I'm really liking these updates btw man, especially how in depth they are. Keep it up! :)

Thanks, that really means a lot! ?

I didn't know about fast falling either until I did it by accident. ? It's a little unusual that fast fall can only take place once you've been in the air for a set amount of time rather than being possible right after jumping but it can definitely help in levels with longer drops nonetheless! 

Edit: Now that I've played a bit more, I'm starting to suspect that fast falling does not require a set amount of air time but instead has to do with your momentum. If you have any upward momentum, fast falling seems to be impossible. But if your momentum is downwards, fast falling becomes possible.

• Like 1

Amazing job with this man - awesome 1st update. I hadn't commented but voted for Rain World for selfish reasons given it's such a unique game that I was kinda hoping you'd be the "test dummy" for it and lay out a plan of attack if I ever got bold enough to attempt it lol. But these Splasher updates are phenomenal - I love the fact you're including your speedrun times in YouTube videos not only are they entertaining but they also provide a huge help to those in the future who'll attempt them given Splasher isn't the biggest game in the world. Kinda wish I had done it in hindsight for my Unravel Two runs. Keep up the great work!

Edited by realm722
  • Like 1