Fleet Carrier

Solarus755

Hi guys,

I'm enjoying this game so far, but the prospect of saving up 5 billion credits to buy a fleet carrier for one of the DLC trophies is demoralizing at best. I know in the past, it was easy to make a billion credits an hour through mining, but it has been substantially nerfed since then and I'm currently looking at about 50 million credits an hour AKA 100 hours of pure mining to afford this ship just for the trophy.

For the Elite Dangerous enthusiasts with boatloads of cash from the good old days, could I bother you to drop me expensive commodities to sell to buy this thing? I don't expect to get a free hand out for the full amount (I'm closing in on 600M so far), but any assistance would be beneficial, as this is the kind of grind that can be reduced substantially with the help of others. Of course, I don't want to trouble people who don't have outrageous amounts of money lying around, but for those that do, the help would be appreciated! Any tips on increasing my hourly return would be helpful as well.

Again, I've been enjoying this game, but spending that long farming when it can be avoided and without intending to play past getting 100% (And the fleet carrier will almost certainly be the last trophy) just seems tedious at best. Thanks a lot in advance!

• Like 1

It's not that hard once you get the proper setup. Start small, then work yourself towards a ship with 512 tons cargo. Mine Painite in Hyades Sector DB-X d1-112 in an overlapping hotspot. Full cargo hold should be possible to mine in 2.5-3 hours or so. Check http://edtools.ddns.net/miner or EDDB to see where to sell. If nobody buys at a good price then sell to nearby carriers for 715k. Listen to some braindead podcast, Joe Rogan worked for me. The Mike Tyson episodes where hilarious, wouldn't have listened to them if not for the painite grind.

On 19.12.2020 at 6:59 PM, Solarus755 said:

Again, I've been enjoying this game, but spending that long farming when it can be avoided and without intending to play past getting 100% (And the fleet carrier will almost certainly be the last trophy) just seems tedious at best. Thanks a lot in advance!

Haha that's cute, the expansion is coming in a couple of months so you won't be sitting at 100% for long. You can also sell your carrier and get 4,8 billion of your money back, if that's any consolation. 

I found the type 9 a terrible ship for mining... very slow and huge overheating.
I do agree with the hyades hotspot, is the only one that was very good for me (anywhere else was terrible), but instead of a type 9 I used the Python. Sure, with the mining build I had only like 192 cargo, but the ship works very well better and the whole mining is way faster. I prefer to do more runs but way faster rather than one single huge cargo after a lot of time.

My rule was to sell only when over 900k stations were available (and not further than 200Ly), otherwise I'd just focus on other trophies or just get a mining cargo then land on any station and close the game, until a a station I was alright to sell at was available.

A trick when mining is to use the refinery slots to minimise wastes of cargo, the refinery has 6 slots which can be used as extra cargo, so I used to abandon a few collectors only when the 6th slot of the refinery was almost full.

4 hours ago, VirtualNight said:

I found the type 9 a terrible ship for mining... very slow and huge overheating.

It is terrible, that's why I used a cutter. Which requires some extra steps but that's a different matter. Also, not sure if OP knows but you can filter out materials you don't need and only auto pick painite. 

1 hour ago, Silver-I-Chariot said:

It is terrible, that's why I used a cutter. Which requires some extra steps but that's a different matter. Also, not sure if OP knows but you can filter out materials you don't need and only auto pick painite. 

If i'm not wrong the imperialc cutter requires the second highest rank for a specific faction. I was already bored from grinding the rank to visit Sol, so there was no way I'd do that again for the ship, not worth the time in my opinion.

12 minutes ago, VirtualNight said:

If i'm not wrong the imperialc cutter requires the second highest rank for a specific faction. I was already bored from grinding the rank to visit Sol, so there was no way I'd do that again for the ship, not worth the time in my opinion.

It's easy and quick if you do data delivery in the Ngalinn system. Obviously there are other options but I went for that ship because I liked the design. And it took me almost a billion to equip it so I definitely went overboard with it. On a different note, they recently fixed deep core mining so if he finds surface mining boring he could try that out. 

Hey guys,

thanks for the replies. I’m currently using a python equipped for mining. The numbers proposed above are old numbers before a recent update heavily nerfed resale value of low temperature diamonds and painite. LTD currently sells around 500K a ton and painite anywhere between 2-300K, substantially neutering per hour numbers. Platinum is the new meta (sells about 300K a ton and needs fewer fragments than painite). I’ve been dual farming both painite and platinum out of an overlap hotspot of the 2 in hyades for efficiency, but the numbers are still a fraction of what they used to be. I follow the subreddit for elite dangerous mining and people are split between volume mining platinum/painite and asteroid cracking for musgravite as the most efficient farming method. Either way though, 5B is still an insane number compared to 6 months ago. I feel they should have nerfed the fleet carrier cost along with the mining values, that way other cash farming methods are still viable but a fleet carrier is more within reach of someone willing to grind.

27 minutes ago, Solarus755 said:

Hey guys,

thanks for the replies. I’m currently using a python equipped for mining. The numbers proposed above are old numbers before a recent update heavily nerfed resale value of low temperature diamonds and painite. LTD currently sells around 500K a ton and painite anywhere between 2-300K, substantially neutering per hour numbers. Platinum is the new meta (sells about 300K a ton and needs fewer fragments than painite). I’ve been dual farming both painite and platinum out of an overlap hotspot of the 2 in hyades for efficiency, but the numbers are still a fraction of what they used to be. I follow the subreddit for elite dangerous mining and people are split between volume mining platinum/painite and asteroid cracking for musgravite as the most efficient farming method. Either way though, 5B is still an insane number compared to 6 months ago. I feel they should have nerfed the fleet carrier cost along with the mining values, that way other cash farming methods are still viable but a fleet carrier is more within reach of someone willing to grind.

Sorry to hear that, looks like they really screwed you over with that update. I don't think it's possible to trade money or commodities so I'm afraid you are on your own there. I suggest you work on all other trophies and leave the carrier for later. Maybe they will rebalance things again once Odyssey drops. 

There’s tools online that show price points of everything at all the stations. Prices have definitely tanked considerably. Mining is still the fastest way to make money, it’s just not busted anymore. Before you could get 250M+ an hour mining and now you’re stuck with about 50M an hour. A full 200 ton load of painite will sell for about 50M. I’ve found the fastest method to just dual farm platinum and painite and race for speed, but even then you’re looking at a LONG climb to 5 billion credits.

the best method for trading cash to someone is to simply buy a bunch of expensive commodities and jettison them into space for the other player to pick up and sell. You can also set the price for buying things at a fleet carrier and just make the prices high to transfer funds. Otherwise, it’s a 100 hour haul to save up enough money for a base model carrier.

they really just needed to reduce the carrier cost when they nerfed the farming efficiency of mining. This just creates a big wealth gap in the game since you can get astronomically rich once you have a fleet carrier by buying farmed mats and reselling them later. If they made it 1 billion credits it would still take a long time, but wouldn’t seem out of reach without binging the game for weeks.

This Painite nerf must have been really recent, seems like I dodged a bullet. The next best thing I’d say is to do passenger missions from Robigo Mines to Sirius Atmospherics as they gave me easily between 80-100m an hour. Just spec a passenger build for the python and you’re good to go. I doubt any trophy hunter has a rich amount of commodities to just unload for you. The build for this is in the description of the video if you need it.

• Like 1

Yeah painite is terrible atm. I've been doing Robigo passenger missions for a while now. It's very slow, but dependable. Currently at 3.4B credits. I recommend making it into a daily grind, because it's very tedious, I do 100M per day myself

Forgot to mention, getting to Sag. A and back will get you a lot of money. Since you will need to do it for the trophy anyway you might as well do it for the money. I haven't traveled back yet but I've heard it will get you at least a billion. Speaking of which, anyone knows a quick way to get back to the bubble from Sagittarius? I want to get back for the expansion but flying back takes forever and I was too lazy to engineer my FSD. So idk, is there a way to find a carrier flying home? Maybe anyone knows someone who is planning to go there and back? Maybe some hitchhiking service by bored players like the fuelrats? I'm really dreading that trip home. 

1 hour ago, Silver-I-Chariot said:

Forgot to mention, getting to Sag. A and back will get you a lot of money. Since you will need to do it for the trophy anyway you might as well do it for the money. I haven't traveled back yet but I've heard it will get you at least a billion. Speaking of which, anyone knows a quick way to get back to the bubble from Sagittarius? I want to get back for the expansion but flying back takes forever and I was too lazy to engineer my FSD. So idk, is there a way to find a carrier flying home? Maybe anyone knows someone who is planning to go there and back? Maybe some hitchhiking service by bored players like the fuelrats? I'm really dreading that trip home. 

There is a quick way to get back, but you essentially have to abandon your ship. Fly to the nearest station (I can't remember what it's called), then store your ship and buy a Sidewinder. Go suicide, and when given the option, choose the free sidewinder as your ship and you will spawn back in the bubble. I believe the transfer cost to ship your ship back to the bubble is really really high, but it can be done. Alternatively you could just sell your ship instead of store it and then rebuild it back in the bubble. 

9 hours ago, Solarus755 said:

There is a quick way to get back, but you essentially have to abandon your ship. Fly to the nearest station (I can't remember what it's called), then store your ship and buy a Sidewinder. Go suicide, and when given the option, choose the free sidewinder as your ship and you will spawn back in the bubble. I believe the transfer cost to ship your ship back to the bubble is really really high, but it can be done. Alternatively you could just sell your ship instead of store it and then rebuild it back in the bubble. 

Didn't know that, thanks! Actually I flew in a cheap DBX so it's not much of a loss anyway. 

4 hours ago, VirtualNight said:

Going to Sag A and back should give about 20m which is NOT worth at all, since you need a lot of hours for 1 travel. I just killed myself when I reached Sag A to spawn back in the last station I was at.

Did you honk in every system you went through? There are A LOT of undiscovered systems on your way there. And you will get a lot more if you use FSS or even map the right planets. 

18 hours ago, Silver-I-Chariot said:

Did you honk in every system you went through? There are A LOT of undiscovered systems on your way there. And you will get a lot more if you use FSS or even map the right planets. 

Just planning the route straight to the Sag A and going there asap took me like 15h. If i had to also stop and check planets it would have probably taken about 50h, someone on TA mentioned an amount of credits of like 20m and I think that is with a quick FSS scanning.

In 50h, before the painite nerf I could get my 5b credits through mining so of course I had no intention to bother with selling the planets' data. Definitely not worth the time unless you love the game and the exploration part.

Not to mention that the small part of galaxy where Sol is located is where all CGs happen and where you have everything you need for each trophy so you definitely want to go back there after Sag A.

• 3 weeks later...

I traded Agronomic Treatments, if you get a buy and sell systems close to each other at the right price you can make +27500 each.  T9 with +700 cargo with a modified FSD for range got me about 80m per/hr.  Not the greatest but was more guaranteed than mining for me (post nerfs)

Took me about 3 weeks active play to hit 5b. 

Edited by Ara_Dax

• 1 year later...
22 hours ago, quickfoozlle said:

What is the current fastest way to get credits?

I'm not enough of an expert to state what is the fastest way, but lately I've been doing passenger runs from Robigo Mines to Sirius Atmospherics (in the Sothis system). There are a bunch of guides on how this works, here's one:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/mp1q6v/advanced_guide_robigo_mines/

At least for me, this has been profitable and somewhat painless. But as said, I've no idea if this is currently among the very best ways to make money or not. I hear some players are making silly amounts of credits mining, but I don't know the details on that (not that interested in mining).

EDIT: Just saw that the "Robigo bus" method has already been mentioned here. Must have been temporarily blind as I didn't spot it earlier. Anyway, it still works.

Edited by Jadeccc_

As far as I’m aware this IS the fastest method of farming credits, and if you can mod your FSD you can cut the jumps down to just 2 or 3, cutting the grind down a bit, depending on your ship ofc, but evidently, this is elite dangerous, it’s gonna take you a while, a long while regardless, the only saving grace is that once you have enough to purchase that ridiculously expensive carrier, you can sell it back for most of what it costs, so credits won’t be an issue any more

Mining is profitable, but in my experience playing, Sirius Atmospherics runs were by far the best.

The region sometimes enters a state of war though, so I would strongly advise you install heatsinks to combat the security ship scans when carrying illegal passengers.

Another good method of farming cash is quite a tedious one though, and again not as profitable, but if you like exploring and still need Sag A, plot a route there and fully scan EVERY system you enter, when I got to Sag A our carrier docked there for about a week, in that time I travelled to so many systems and fully scanned them, that the game crashed when I went to sell my cartographics data, bc I had around 800 millions worth, first discovery bonuses helped but hey it’s a space exploration game, if you find the exploration fun these credits are basically free really.

just don’t travel down too far, the deeper you get, youll end up in a literal minefield of black holes and pulsars, I took a big risk going down as far as I dared and I barely made it out alive, it’s very very hostile down south.

Edited by Shmeefly
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm at 4.7 billion now, getting close. I've been doing a few Robigo runs just about every day this month.

I'm planning to buy the carrier, jump once, then sell it. (There was a time when I would have been interested in actually doing something with the big boat, but now that the console future of the game seems bleak, I just want to get the trophies and be done with this.)

For this kind of "one jump" approach, how much credits should I have? Are there other costs involved besides the 5B buying price?

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/04/2022 at 9:16 PM, Jadeccc_ said:

I'm at 4.7 billion now, getting close. I've been doing a few Robigo runs just about every day this month.

I'm planning to buy the carrier, jump once, then sell it. (There was a time when I would have been interested in actually doing something with the big boat, but now that the console future of the game seems bleak, I just want to get the trophies and be done with this.)

For this kind of "one jump" approach, how much credits should I have? Are there other costs involved besides the 5B buying price?

I believe the Standard Carrier will have enough fuel for one jump so you should be fine

On 5/10/2022 at 0:32 PM, DazzaFett said:

I believe the Standard Carrier will have enough fuel for one jump so you should be fine

@DazzaFett is correct. I bought a carrier the other day; the fuel tank was half-full when delivered (500 units of tritium).

So basically if you're only looking to do one jump for the trophy and then sell the carrier (like I decided to do), you don't really need to have any more credits than the 5 billion purchase price. Just remember that you won't get all of your money back (looks like I'll be getting something like 4.85 billion), and that you can't get rid of the carrier and get your money back right away. I decommissioned mine yesterday, and apparently the process will be finalized Thursday next week, and that's when I'll get my credits back.