Shua_J

If using a guide on hard mode for the bosses.....dont. Here's why.

39 posts in this topic

This is weird, i used a guide and it recommended to use Prayer on all characters for healing. I don't remember what i used with Magnify though, either Barrier or Time.

 

Also, i never used Aerith lol. And literally wasted Ifrit on Shiva because she was a nuisance. I killed Bahamut and Ifrit at the same time, too, with all three Limit Breaks at the same time xD

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lance_87 said:

This is weird, i used a guide and it recommended to use Prayer on all characters for healing. I don't remember what i used with Magnify though, either Barrier or Time.

 

Also, i never used Aerith lol. And literally wasted Ifrit on Shiva because she was a nuisance. I killed Bahamut and Ifrit at the same time, too, with all three Limit Breaks at the same time xD


Nice!! Some true creativity there. I respect it!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m doing my first normal playthrough now, but will definitely use your tips when on hard as it makes things sound very easy.

Edited by thefourfoldroot
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

I’m doing my first normal playthrough now, but will definitely use your tips when on hard as it makes things sound very easy.


I'm jealous that it isn't my first playthrough again. Good luck and I hope you have a blast with it.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great tips! Its cool seeing these alternatives to the "classic" strategies. I 100% agree with not using magnify heal and chucking it on barrier instead. I still personally went with two elemental + fires, but I understand splitting it between fire and ice to save some MP. I also went with Barret in place of Tifa. He handled Leviathan pretty well with Aerith, and then having the two elemental + fires really made Bahamut a non issue thanks to his....sorry, I mean our helper, Ifrit

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, SnowStorm said:

Great tips! Its cool seeing these alternatives to the "classic" strategies. I 100% agree with not using magnify heal and chucking it on barrier instead. I still personally went with two elemental + fires, but I understand splitting it between fire and ice to save some MP. I also went with Barret in place of Tifa. He handled Leviathan pretty well with Aerith, and then having the two elemental + fires really made Bahamut a non issue thanks to his....sorry, I mean our helper, Ifrit


Nice. That's really the spirit of my post. So people can come and talk about their super creative setups and help those who are going to take on a challenge to realize that with a little bit of experimentation...they can really do some damage in a ton of different ways. Thanks for giving your strategy, too. Cool to see it. Makes me want to try some different things on the fight.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh I'm fully intending on playing again on my alt account, just to do a second platinum run. I want to mix things up though with strategies, and when it comes to this fight I'll be trying something completely different. Its just fun mixing things up a bit!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/20/2020 at 6:40 PM, Shua_J said:

be like TLOU2 and take him from behind

lmao savagery

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You said don't use a guide for the hard mode bosses, and then you made a guide yourself. I guess that means I shouldn't follow what your guide says either?

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I prefer ice resist for Shiva, Ifirit's not that strong so I just killed him and saved my limit breaks to finish off bahamut. You don't really need Barrier either as long as you have reprieve/ auto-life necklace you'll be fine in my opinion.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, me_is_caveman said:

You said don't use a guide for the hard mode bosses, and then you made a guide yourself. I guess that means I shouldn't follow what your guide says either?


This isn't a guide. This is a suggestion as to why not to follow a guide rigidly. If I was going to write a guide...I would have wrote a guide properly. Now...more people are jumping in and telling the way they were creative in doing it....and if you bothered to read the thread...their input supports exactly the title of the post. I'm pretty sure you thought that sounded awesome in your head though.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

This VERY similar toy build from last year, way I had it

 

- Absorb Ice on Cloud. 

- Immune to instant kill on Tifa. 

- Aerith beat Leviathan with arcane ward (double casts) and lightning. 

- Absorb fire on Tifa, Prayer on Aerith with Healing Carcanet accessory, every1 else with Revivial Earrings.

- Aerith magic build, cloud and tifa strength build. 

- My prayer would heal every1 for approx 5000 without magnify. VERY important as Magnify+Barrier is a must to half dmg. 

- Revival Earrings are a safety net, they prevent the possible interruptions to ur battle rhthym. 

 

VERY very similar, few changes. I feel the same, why does nobody use Barrier+Magnify, its a must, perhaps for every single hard boss as well! 

Edited by Optinooby
3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/03/2021 at 0:22 PM, Shua_J said:


This isn't a guide. This is a suggestion as to why not to follow a guide rigidly. If I was going to write a guide...I would have wrote a guide properly. Now...more people are jumping in and telling the way they were creative in doing it....and if you bothered to read the thread...their input supports exactly the title of the post. I'm pretty sure you thought that sounded awesome in your head though.

 

i get what you mean , basically figure out what works for you by trial and error . i was struggling with Roche using guides then i read this and came up with my own method and kicked his ass . iv got the hell house next and im nervous , i stuggled with it on normal

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NoosaHeadz said:

 

i get what you mean , basically figure out what works for you by trial and error . i was struggling with Roche using guides then i read this and came up with my own method and kicked his ass . iv got the hell house next and im nervous , i stuggled with it on normal


Hell house was definitely a challenge. Being prepared with Materia counters to it's magic attacks is the key. Without going into great detail...if you're having issues...go watch Speedrunners doing no damage runs. Speedrunners always give the best insight I've found to challenging aspects of a game concerning bosses. A lot of guides are great..but sometimes aspects of them are more concerned with "being first" than being good. I rarely use guides myself...nothing against them in any way...but the proliferation of guide makers sets up a competitive situation where it's more advantageous to be first than to be awesome. Good luck! This game is incredible.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Shua_J said:


Hell house was definitely a challenge. Being prepared with Materia counters to it's magic attacks is the key. Without going into great detail...if you're having issues...go watch Speedrunners doing no damage runs. Speedrunners always give the best insight I've found to challenging aspects of a game concerning bosses. A lot of guides are great..but sometimes aspects of them are more concerned with "being first" than being good. I rarely use guides myself...nothing against them in any way...but the proliferation of guide makers sets up a competitive situation where it's more advantageous to be first than to be awesome. Good luck! This game is incredible.

Speedrunners are usually pretty good guide wise if they provide commentary like our resident @Optinooby. Love his speedrun guides because he gives great insight into how things should be done and why. Excited to see he is working on one for FF7R!

 

That said I do enjoy experimenting with Materia combinations. However,  some battles on Normal I am barely getting through i.e. Hellhouse. So a guide maybe in order for hard mode for me at least. That said I am only on chapter 10 on my first playthrough and I think I will save the platinum for my 7,000 trophy which is less than 100 trophies away right now so I will need a filler game or two in between now and then.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, da-Noob123 said:

Speedrunners are usually pretty good guide wise if they provide commentary like our resident @Optinooby. Love his speedrun guides because he gives great insight into how things should be done and why. Excited to see he is working on one for FF7R!

 

That said I do enjoy experimenting with Materia combinations. However,  some battles on Normal I am barely getting through i.e. Hellhouse. So a guide maybe in order for hard mode for me at least. That said I am only on chapter 10 on my first playthrough and I think I will save the platinum for my 7,000 trophy which is less than 100 trophies away right now so I will need a filler game or two in between now and then.


Congrats on being close to 7000. That's a lot of gaming.

Speedrunners know games better than most everyone, including some of the Devs who actually make them. I love the fact that Optinooby gives the reasons why he's doing what he's doing. I'll have to check out some of his runs if he's got vids and put them on while I'm grinding. Speedrunners are a totally different breed and usually a wellspring of information concerning any game they decide to run. It's really great when they go in-depth because often times something they figure out in the mechanics and strategy of one game can be roughly applied to several others. Massive respect to all the speed runners out there.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shua_J said:


Congrats on being close to 7000. That's a lot of gaming.

Speedrunners know games better than most everyone, including some of the Devs who actually make them. I love the fact that Optinooby gives the reasons why he's doing what he's doing. I'll have to check out some of his runs if he's got vids and put them on while I'm grinding. Speedrunners are a totally different breed and usually a wellspring of information concerning any game they decide to run. It's really great when they go in-depth because often times something they figure out in the mechanics and strategy of one game can be roughly applied to several others. Massive respect to all the speed runners out there.

Agreed. When I did my Big Boss Emblem for MGS4, I was following an amazing guide with a commentary from someone who used to have the number one time for the BBE back when the game first released. The tricks he pulled SMH just awesome. He and the other speedrunners found ways to get around unskippable cutscenes o_O and do a  double stun amongst other neat things. I tip my hat to all speedrunners. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, da-Noob123 said:

Speedrunners are usually pretty good guide wise if they provide commentary like our resident @Optinooby. Love his speedrun guides because he gives great insight into how things should be done and why. Excited to see he is working on one for FF7R!

 

That said I do enjoy experimenting with Materia combinations. However,  some battles on Normal I am barely getting through i.e. Hellhouse. So a guide maybe in order for hard mode for me at least. That said I am only on chapter 10 on my first playthrough and I think I will save the platinum for my 7,000 trophy which is less than 100 trophies away right now so I will need a filler game or two in between now and then.

 

I hope they come in useful m8, the boss guides at least. It's a shame with this game in regards to platinum as you can't really make a speedrun quick. Even a good platinum speedrun is abt 20hrs, maybe that will change with PS5, especially if there are some nice QoL improvements. In regards to my walkthrough, i've cut a lot of the content to try and keep them short, still quite long through,it's mainly just a real efficient 100% run though, showing a speedrun route as a guide on this would make hard mode much harder as you would be way underlevelled!

 

The hard boss guides im extracting from the walkthrough and putting into separate vids should come in useful I hope though, I should be on Hard mode Hellhouse soon actually as just done Chapter 8 ;)

 

3 hours ago, Shua_J said:


Congrats on being close to 7000. That's a lot of gaming.

Speedrunners know games better than most everyone, including some of the Devs who actually make them. I love the fact that Optinooby gives the reasons why he's doing what he's doing. I'll have to check out some of his runs if he's got vids and put them on while I'm grinding. Speedrunners are a totally different breed and usually a wellspring of information concerning any game they decide to run. It's really great when they go in-depth because often times something they figure out in the mechanics and strategy of one game can be roughly applied to several others. Massive respect to all the speed runners out there.

 

I just hope I haven't explained 'too' much!! I've looked at a few boss guides here and there and found they still require you to learn the fights as they showcase it in realtime and just provide tips along the way.

 

What i've done or am doing, is i'm pausing after EACH command and instructing you on EXACTLY what command to perform next, and sort of explaining why. I'm hoping the strategies work the way I expect them to for others xD 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

 

I hope they come in useful m8, the boss guides at least. It's a shame with this game in regards to platinum as you can't really make a speedrun quick. Even a good platinum speedrun is abt 20hrs, maybe that will change with PS5, especially if there are some nice QoL improvements. In regards to my walkthrough, i've cut a lot of the content to try and keep them short, still quite long through,it's mainly just a real efficient 100% run though, showing a speedrun route as a guide on this would make hard mode much harder as you would be way underlevelled!

 

The hard boss guides im extracting from the walkthrough and putting into separate vids should come in useful I hope though, I should be on Hard mode Hellhouse soon actually as just done Chapter 8 ;)

 

 

I just hope I haven't explained 'too' much!! I've looked at a few boss guides here and there and found they still require you to learn the fights as they showcase it in realtime and just provide tips along the way.

 

What i've done or am doing, is i'm pausing after EACH command and instructing you on EXACTLY what command to perform next, and sort of explaining why. I'm hoping the strategies work the way I expect them to for others xD 

By the time I get to that point on hard mode your boss guide will probably be done. 😁 And the more info the better!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/03/2021 at 6:31 PM, Shua_J said:


Hell house was definitely a challenge. Being prepared with Materia counters to it's magic attacks is the key. Without going into great detail...if you're having issues...go watch Speedrunners doing no damage runs. Speedrunners always give the best insight I've found to challenging aspects of a game concerning bosses. A lot of guides are great..but sometimes aspects of them are more concerned with "being first" than being good. I rarely use guides myself...nothing against them in any way...but the proliferation of guide makers sets up a competitive situation where it's more advantageous to be first than to be awesome. Good luck! This game is incredible.

 

Finally beat that big shit house , hell house . God it was worse than i thought . All day i was at it , must have fought it 20 times . In the end i abandoned all strategy and just poisoned it , threw the kitchen sink at it with cloud and used Aerith to heal and knock it out of the sky .

ended up needing to hit it once ,i had 1 HP left , Aerith KO'd and a cutter right on my ass chasing me rouund the arena . Managed to focus thrust and end the fight but boy it was close with that cutter .

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Optinooby said:

I just hope I haven't explained 'too' much!! I've looked at a few boss guides here and there and found they still require you to learn the fights as they showcase it in realtime and just provide tips along the way.

 

What i've done or am doing, is i'm pausing after EACH command and instructing you on EXACTLY what command to perform next, and sort of explaining why. I'm hoping the strategies work the way I expect them to for others xD 


That's awesome. Do you have runs online for other titles? Preferably with commentary? Go ahead and shamelessly plug yourself. :) This is my designated cleanup year and I need interesting things to have on for the grinds on some of the things I foolishly played before ever deciding to actually hunt trophies.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, Shua_J said:


That's awesome. Do you have runs online for other titles? Preferably with commentary? Go ahead and shamelessly plug yourself. :) This is my designated cleanup year and I need interesting things to have on for the grinds on some of the things I foolishly played before ever deciding to actually hunt trophies.

 

Efficient platinum runs with comm, quite lot m8 yea, just a few of top of my head;

 

- RE0

- RE1

- RE2Re

- RE3Re

- RE5

- RE7

- Mortal Shell (5hrs)

- Demon Soul's (10hrs)

- TLOU2 (15+)

- Ratchet and Clank (8hrs)

- Control (7hrs, 100% trophies)

- Vampyr (7hrs)

 

Much more, too many to name m8, all over on my channel, plus a few written guides here. Next up after FF7 is a Abe Soulstorm platinum speedrun and a Horizon Zero Dawn (always aimed at beginners) ;)

 

 

Have you check some of my boss guides for FF7 by any chance, like the Airbuster or Crab Warden, be interesting to hear your input if you feel most guides don't explain them well enough or don't make them as easy as they could be!

 

Thanks m8 ;)

Edited by Optinooby
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is no one gonna point out the irony where OP mentions not to use a guide when he kinda giving us a guide?

 

In all seriousness, I haven't started this game yet but it seems like there is a 50/50 split on Hard mode being hard or easy.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 26/03/2021 at 3:37 PM, da-Noob123 said:

 However,  some battles on Normal I am barely getting through i.e. Hellhouse. 

 

I got Hellhouse worked out today, will throw guide up tomoz once recorded. 

 

Its weird as I remember finding it real hard last year, this time, ive actually found airbuster harder. 

 

No1 knows if was nerfed??? 

 

I start with poison level 3, then ice level 2 and ice level 3, boss enters 2nd phase. 

 

2nd phase it always charges, well u can counterstrike it, I do that. Then 2 x focused thrusts followed by ice level 3, boss is staggered

 

Go to town on boss to fill all 4 atbs, then retreat amd wait for 2 jetstream attacks. 

 

After that, roll away from house call jump then the boss will begin element charge ram, be ready to STRAIGHT away cast the level 3 of that element and it will land and pressure before it geta moving. 

 

Then 2 x focused strikes and go mad again filling all 4 atbs.

 

Now wait and get far away as boss will begin element sucking. Again, STRAIGHT away, cast the level 3 of what element it is weak to and it will land first and knock boss into last phase. 

 

Last phase, lob level 3 when it gets a flying element to knock it down, 2 x focused thrusts and ice level 3 and its dead!! 

 

 

This works EVERY SINGLE time, obviousy but more to it, but much simpler to work this out compared to the annoying Crab Warden with a thousand targetable parts and then awkward annoyance that is Airbuster ;)

Edited by Optinooby
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.