Grounded on first playthrough is hella fun

K_e_r_c_k_11

I just finished the story and my god, I didn't expect I would enjoy grounded mode on my first playthrough. It was both frustrating and satisfying. I had to use a guide for the collectibles though, but unfortunately for me, I ran out of shiv so I missed the door and training manual. 

This game is an absolute gem and I don't know why would Naughty Dog followed it up with a polarizing sequel. Not sure though if I would play the second game

Edited by K-e-r-c-k
  • Like 4

You got some stones my friend. Grounded is pretty tough on a first playthrough! But I believe it’s the way the game is meant to be played. ?

The Last of Us is a very cool game in the sense it’s one of the only games I’ve played where the experience changes so drastically between an easy run and a hard (Grounded) run. It’s like an entirely different game. It transforms the whole experience into a hellish survival horror ordeal, where you’re agonizing over managing every little scrap of resource or bullet you come across. A lot of the most difficult parts of the game get your heart pounding and your hands sweating with how intense they get, and trying to sneak past runners and clickers praying to baby Jesus that they don’t spot ya is super tense. God damn!

It can also be maddeningly frustrating at times, but that feeling when you either flawlessly pull off a tough section like a bad ass or just barely escape by the skin of your balls is like nothing else. 

Also, don’t let the polarizing opinions put your off TLoU2. It’s neither the 10/10 sun shines out of Druckmann’s ass the critics are making it out to be, nor the steaming pile of bloater dung it’s biggest critics are saying. You will have to play it and decide for yourself. In my opinion it was rather disappointing as a sequel to the beautiful first game, and it had a lot of problems with pacing and story. But it also did a lot of things right and had some really impactful emotional moments peppered throughout. It’s also even more intense on Grounded so worth playing for that alone if that’s your thing.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dieselmanchild said:

You got some stones my friend. Grounded is pretty tough on a first playthrough! But I believe it’s the way the game is meant to be played. 1f609.png

The Last of Us is a very cool game in the sense it’s one of the only games I’ve played where the experience changes so drastically between an easy run and a hard (Grounded) run. It’s like an entirely different game. It transforms the whole experience into a hellish survival horror ordeal, where you’re agonizing over managing every little scrap of resource or bullet you come across. A lot of the most difficult parts of the game get your heart pounding and your hands sweating with how intense they get, and trying to sneak past runners and clickers praying to baby Jesus that they don’t spot ya is super tense. God damn!

It can also be maddeningly frustrating at times, but that feeling when you either flawlessly pull off a tough section like a bad ass or just barely escape by the skin of your balls is like nothing else. 

Also, don’t let the polarizing opinions put your off TLoU2. It’s neither the 10/10 sun shines out of Druckmann’s ass the critics are making it out to be, nor the steaming pile of bloater dung it’s biggest critics are saying. You will have to play it and decide for yourself. In my opinion it was rather disappointing as a sequel to the beautiful first game, and it had a lot of problems with pacing and story. But it also did a lot of things right and had some really impactful emotional moments peppered throughout. It’s also even more intense on Grounded so worth playing for that alone if that’s your thing.

Thanks, Both the University and Ellie's chapter are the MOST frustrating part for me. Enemies would just instantly kills me with a headshot and Ellie dies in 2 hits from any infected attacks.

I might give it a shot on TLoU 2 and I am also gonna play it on Grounded on my first playthrough(if it grounded is already available).I just hope it'll be a tad bit easier and less frustrating.

Right now I'm playing the game again on Grounded(NG+) and its a lot easier because I don't need to worry about most of the collectibles and worry only the shiv doors and training manuals.

Edited by K-e-r-c-k
  • Like 1

I love last of us on grounded. Chefs kiss 100%! Also I mean the whole story, part 2 included. It's so real and it makes me just cry. I seriously fell in love with Abby but it felt so crazy cause of what she did. It's just an amazing Peice of art that should be respected as such. Forget everything and just fall into the story. Leave your worded thoughts and shit out of it. Just embrace It. Find your own flow and insert yourself in the world. It will take you on a journey.

32 minutes ago, K-e-r-c-k said:

Thanks, Both the University and Ellie's chapter are the MOST frustrating part for me. Enemies would just instantly kills me with a headshot and Ellie dies in 2 hits from any infected attacks.

I might give it a shot on TLoU 2 and I am also gonna play it on Grounded on my first playthrough(if it grounded is already available).I just hope it'll be a tad bit easier and less frustrating.

Right now I'm playing the game again on Grounded(NG+) and its a lot easier because I don't need to worry about most of the collectibles and worry only the shiv doors and training manuals.

Yeah I think Ellie’s chapter where you have to defend that room with the elevator was the toughest part for me. I knew exactly what I needed to do and had it down to a science, but every single time some dumbass thing would happen that I hadn’t planned for, or Ellie would take a swing with the knife instead of jamming it into an enemies head, or useless David would require rescuing and throw me off my rhythm.

Sorry to break it to you but TLoU2 is definitely harder and more frustrating. There’s way more enemies and some parts of the game like the Rat King boss are just straight up bullshit. You can hardly see anything, and all it takes is one tiny mistake, getting snagged on the corner of an object for example and it’s an insta kill. I might wait until NG+ to do Grounded tbh. Then again there are some cheats and accessibility options you can use if you get stuck for too long and get overwhelmed. Invisibility while prone etc.

The only upside of the difficulty is that I got to watch Abby brutally die screaming about 1000 times over which was vey therapeutic! ?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

Yeah I think Ellie’s chapter where you have to defend that room with the elevator was the toughest part for me. I knew exactly what I needed to do and had it down to a science, but every single time some dumbass thing would happen that I hadn’t planned for, or Ellie would take a swing with the knife instead of jamming it into an enemies head, or useless David would require rescuing and throw me off my rhythm.

Sorry to break it to you but TLoU2 is definitely harder and more frustrating. There’s way more enemies and some parts of the game like the Rat King boss are just straight up bullshit. You can hardly see anything, and all it takes is one tiny mistake, getting snagged on the corner of an object for example and it’s an insta kill. I might wait until NG+ to do Grounded tbh. Then again there are some cheats and accessibility options you can use if you get stuck for too long and get overwhelmed. Invisibility while prone etc.

The only upside of the difficulty is that I got to watch Abby brutally die screaming about 1000 times over which was vey therapeutic! 1f601.png

I have spoilt myself with what fans rage about in part 2. But I haven't seen 95% of what's going to happen but damn if it that hard then I'm up for the challenge.

58 minutes ago, freeman4200 said:

I love last of us on grounded. Chefs kiss 100%! Also I mean the whole story, part 2 included. It's so real and it makes me just cry. I seriously fell in love with Abby but it felt so crazy cause of what she did. It's just an amazing Peice of art that should be respected as such. Forget everything and just fall into the story. Leave your worded thoughts and shit out of it. Just embrace It. Find your own flow and insert yourself in the world. It will take you on a journey.

Sure thing, I might enjoy but based on what people are saying. I hope the story is not that depressing like part 1

• Like 1

13 hours ago, K-e-r-c-k said:

I have spoilt myself with what fans rage about in part 2. But I haven't seen 95% of what's going to happen but damn if it that hard then I'm up for the challenge.

Sure thing, I might enjoy but based on what people are saying. I hope the story is not that depressing like part 1

Yeah I think at this point most people have had the story spoiled for themselves, but it’s still worth playing it as experiencing it yourself is very different than watching it or hearing about it from someone else.

Unfortunately the story IS very bleak and depressing, and can be nauseatingly violent for some people. It’s also a very long game and has some pacing problems IMO, which ultimately made it quite an exhausting game to play through twice back to back, both mentally and physically. But there are still some really impactful moments and some beautiful Ellie/Joel flashbacks that made me misty eyed (which were the highlight of the game for me), but in terms of the overall tone of the story you should definitely prepare yourself for something a lot different than the first game.

While The Last of Us Part 1 was also pretty bleak and brutal at times, ultimately it was the themes of hope, love, and redemption that carried the story and made it such a compelling experience and beautiful story. They do try to emulate the emotional impact of Part 1 by copying the redemption storyline and relationship dynamic of Ellie/Joel with the new characters Abby/Lev, but personally I saw right through it lol. In reality, Part 2 doesn’t give a fuck about all that sentimental shit and instead goes ALL in on themes on revenge, hatred, violence begets violence etc.

I love dark stuff so that was fine by me, but a lot of people (myself included) were upset with the way they retconned events from Part 1 and manipulate the player’s emotions to support this narrative. It’s also a little upsetting seeing the way this direction impacts beloved characters, as some characters like Ellie were almost completely unrecognizable in Part 2. It’s already been an awful, depressing year for most people and playing TLoU2 certainly didn’t brighten up anybody’s day lol.

Still though, it’s by far Naughty Dog’s most ambitious game ever, and the whole thing is quite a ride. And you won’t know how you feel about it until you’ve played through it a couple times. While it’s not my favourite game ever, it’s still one of those games that sticks in your mind, and one that I never seem to get tired discussing or analyzing. There’s a lot to unpack.

And while it’s true there’s a lot of people who hated this game, for every one of them there is someone else who loved it and thinks it’s the greatest thing since sliced bread. So if I were you I’d grab it while it’s on sale and go into while the story and events from Part 1 are still fresh in your mind. Enjoy the ride and hold onto your balls my friend! You may just be surprised ?

Edited by dieselmanchild
  • Like 2