Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered is a broken mess! Power and Responsibility glitch!

Ggd07

This game has brought me nothing but disappointment and frustration on PS5. It's very unstable and several gameplay issues are present. My console froze about five times, which resulted in a hard lock and an unresponsive operating system. I had to unplug the console from the wall socket all times the game froze it so that I may be able to continue.

I wonder how come such a big title from a studio like Insomniac games is filled with so many game breaking bugs. Pretty much most things about the remaster except the Performance RayTracing Mode which is pretty awesome has made me dislike the game and the company.

The following freezes occurred during my spectacular playthrough and the NG+ playthrough on Ultimate Difficulty afterwards:

- Froze on the mission where Miles was looking for his mom - game just froze, sound continued. Didn't get any response from the controller or console.

- Randomly froze after dropping frames while Free Roaming.

- Froze after failing and retrying during the Miles/Rhino mission.

- Froze on the DLC after failing during the subway mission. Got the failed screen and got black screen after that. Was able to go back and try to "Close Game", which ended up freezing on "Closing Game..", had to unplug the console again, risking data corruption.
- Froze after skipping a cinematic on NG+

After one normal playthrough the campaign and DLCs on Spectacular Difficulty, I set the difficulty on that save to Ultimate in order to create a NG+ from it and play for the last 2 trophies, and it seems that this is what is causing the glitch. Setting your normal save to Ultimate Difficulty and then created a NG+ on it will not get you the "Power and Responsibility" trophy at the end, even if you completed it on Ultimate difficulty and set it since the beginning. I tried several things to mend this to avoid another playthrough, like setting my normal save to Spectacular and then reloading the last battle of the game, in case they are tied somehow, but nothing like this works.

In order to earn the last trophy, one would have to create a NG+ from a save that is not set on Ultimate Difficulty, and then set the NG+ to Ultimate Difficulty, or just start a new game and set it on Ultimate. I loved this game on PS4, and really wanted to 100% the remaster, but doing another playthrough and risking my console freezing or bricking (not sure what the chances of this are, but there are reports of PS5s bricking on Spider-Man Remastered), and risking another trophy glitch is just not worth it. Overall this seems like a sick joke and it kind of left a really bad taste. I really can't believe such a large studio can ship out something like this.

Edit2: Maybe I'm one of the unlucky ones, as several other players report that they did not have any issues, but I really don't want to risk it. I wrote to Insomniac Games about these issues, but I really doubt they will fix anything.

Edited by Ggd07
Changed title and content to be more constructive.

5 minutes ago, NxtDoc said:

I didn't have a single bug during my 13 day Platinum run.

Your console didn't hard lock even once?
Enemies did not get stuck into walls/objects/cars, forcing you to restart from previous checkpoint?
No audio glitches?

Not sure if you are the lucky one, or I am the "lucky" one with the uncommon issues. The "next-gen" experience for this game has been dreadful.

Last month there were a few consoles bricked by this game, rendering them completely dead.

I wasn't sure if you were just very unlucky, but judging by some of the other threads there definitely are issues with this release. Very strange. Shame you don't have an Ultimate Difficulty save on PS4 to transfer over. I don't remember there being an issue with setting your normal save to Ultimate in NG+ in the PS4 version.  

Edited by bikeman223

52 minutes ago, bikeman223 said:

I wasn't sure if you were just very unlucky, but judging by some of the other threads there definitely are issues with this release. Very strange. Shame you don't have an Ultimate Difficulty save on PS4 to transfer over. I don't remember there being an issue with setting your normal save to Ultimate in NG+ in the PS4 version.  

Even if I did, some people are reporting that transfering your save even if you have completed Ultimate on PS4 doesn't unlocky that specific trophy. From what I've read in this forum, in the forum for the PS4 version of the game and in Reddit, this glitch occurs when:

1. You set the difficulty of your first save to Ultimate

2. You create a NG+ on Ultimate from that first save

If you do this, basically you will not earn Power and Responsibility. This is a terrible glitch and it doesn't make sense. It is clear that someone at Insomniac really screwed the pooch on this one. And if it's not a glitch and intentional, I simply don't get the logic behind it. People are doing this for the exact opposite reason - to make sure they get the trophy at the end, and instead they get a huge middle finger at the end. It's painful.

If someone is doing a playthrough on NG+ on Ultimate just for this trophy, they can test out if the glitch is present by going to the Game Options and trying to change the difficulty. If you get a warning - the glitch is not present. If you are able to change the difficulty without a warning - congratulations. A programmer at Insomniac just wasted your time.

29 minutes ago, Kristmas2 said:

I never had any issues with this game - it is simply amazing (pun intended LOL) :) So i don't know what is your deal :o

Good for you. My deal is that I completed the game on UItimate Difficulty on NG+ and I didn't get the trophy. My other deal is that my PS5 got hard-locked about five times, forcing me to unplug the console from the wall socket. This should not happen, and it's not a problem with the console. I played a couple of PS4 games before this, as well as a bit of Demon's Souls and Bugsnax, and no other title has locked my console so far, so I doubt it's a problem with the console.

I just can't accept the fact that a studio like Insomniac has let this slide. It seems the Ultimate Difficulty glitch is present in the PS4 version as well for some...

Edited by Ggd07

15 minutes ago, Ggd07 said:

Even if I did, some people are reporting that transfering your save even if you have completed Ultimate on PS4 doesn't unlocky that specific trophy. From what I've read in this forum, in the forum for the PS4 version of the game and in Reddit, this glitch occurs when:

If you do this, basically you will not earn Power and Responsibility. This is a terrible glitch and it doesn't make sense. It is clear that someone at Insomniac really screwed the pooch on this one. And if it's not a glitch and intentional, I simply don't get the logic behind it. People are doing this for the exact opposite reason - to make sure they get the trophy at the end, and instead they get a huge middle finger at the end. It's painful.

If someone is doing a playthrough on NG+ on Ultimate just for this trophy, they can test out if the glitch is present by going to the Game Options and trying to change the difficulty. If you get a warning - the glitch is not present. If you are able to change the difficulty without a warning - congratulations. A programmer at Insomniac just wasted your time.

Good for you. My deal is that I completed the game on UItimate Difficulty on NG+ and I didn't get the trophy. My other deal is that my PS5 got hard-locked about five times, forcing me to unplug the console from the wall socket. This should not happen, and it's not a problem with the console. I played a couple of PS4 games before this, as well as a bit of Demon's Souls and Bugsnax, and no other title has locked my console so far, so I doubt it's a problem with the console.

I just can't accept the fact that a studio like Insomniac has let this slide. It seems the Ultimate Difficulty glitch is present in the PS4 version as well for some...

Well I am very sorry for you, I did a 100% playtrough and didn't have a single issue. I did transfer my ps4 save and the ultimate difficulty trophy popped without a problem. I've had a single frozen cutscene on Spider-Man Miles Morales that forced me to close the application, not even the console, and thats all the struggles I've had. 

Edit: I played the remastered from a new safe file starting from 0.0% not a NG+.

Edited by IGUnique

16 minutes ago, Ggd07 said:

So it bugs out when you do the thing that's supposed to lock you into the trophy i.e selecting the difficulty from the main menu? I remember having the option to change the difficult when I was creating the NG+ save, but that was a while ago so I might be misremembering how the selection is presented to you. 

18 hours ago, bikeman223 said:

So it bugs out when you do the thing that's supposed to lock you into the trophy i.e selecting the difficulty from the main menu? I remember having the option to change the difficult when I was creating the NG+ save, but that was a while ago so I might be misremembering how the selection is presented to you. 

Yes, it seems so. I've found several other threads on other forums as well as Reddit from people complaining of the same glitch, and it seems to be dating back to the PS4 version as well.

So because I went into my first save to change the difficulty to Ultimate, and then created NG+ from that save, and set it to Ultimate Difficulty, this trophy glitches out, and you will NOT unlock it even if you technically just finished the game on Ultimate. You have to either not change the difficulty on your first save from what you've played, or not set it to Ultimate after you unlock it - then you have to create your NG+ from that save, again, making sure it did not have Ultimate difficulty set.

I tried changing the difficulty on the first save, in case they are tied, to spectacular and loading the auto-saved last level of the game, and beating it again, but it did not unlock. I just don't want to risk the console freezing again, because those hard-locks must not be good.

I wrote to Insomniac about the freezes and trophy glitch, but I doubt anything major would be done. At most, I hope the same glitches and instability is preset on Miles Morales.

24 minutes ago, meecegoatsalot said:

Well that sucks. I wont be getting a ps5 for a few months at least, hopefully by that time all these sorts of issues will be fixed

Hopefully, yes. Because at this point it needs a lot of work. To be honest it feels like I'm beta testing both hardware and software, and I paid to do that. So the decision to wait a couple of months to get it is probably the best you can do..

I doubt the trophy glitch will get fixed, but I hope at least either Sony releases stability updates for the OS, or Insomniac figures out why the game is making players' console freezing. It would be seriously a big bummer if your console bricked and you had to return it for replacement because of an unstable game.

I also started Miles Morales and completed a couple of missions and so far the game has been far more stable than the remaster. There were no pedestrians, mission npcs, or enemies getting stuck in walls, objects or cars, and there were no randomly spawning cars while you swing, while those are present almost always in the remaster for me.

Edited by Ggd07

Aside from maybe one crash, I didn't have a single issue during my time with the remaster. For what it's worth I never transferred my save from PS4, I started a whole new game and did every trophy on PS5.

This is really unfortunate though. Hoping that Insomniac gets onto fixing the problems because it's an excellent game.

I think mine hard crashed twice and during one of miles missions he feel underneath the city and I was just walking around in water.

Nothing a little reset didn’t solve and certainly not worth writing a thread for it. Because other than those and a few car glitches (Spider-Man was trapped in a car for a few seconds once) it really delivered 

Gamers need to stop moaning when a game crashes a few times. If it was unplayable then yea fair enough but it doesn’t sound like you had more than I did and it didn’t bother me. Damn my NG+ trophy on supreme or whatever it is didn’t even pop and I did it legit. Oh well 

On 12/24/2020 at 1:54 AM, Ggd07 said:

Your console didn't hard lock even once?
Enemies did not get stuck into walls/objects/cars, forcing you to restart from previous checkpoint?
No audio glitches?

Not sure if you are the lucky one, or I am the "lucky" one with the uncommon issues. The "next-gen" experience for this game has been dreadful.

Last month there were a few consoles bricked by this game, rendering them completely dead.

No, not 1.  It was truly flawless.  And I have heard about issues here and there.  But I swear that is with every game nowadays.  It boggles my mind how all of our play throughs can be so drastically different.  

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I can confirm that miles Morales PS5 version never crashed my PS5 once, PS4 Spiderman on PS5 never crashed it once. But the remastered version solid crashed my PS5 to the point of having to hold the power button for 5 minutes. It wouldn't even snap out of the freeze state by putting another disc in and out. 

This was early on too, as I just auto popped all Spiderman trophies using the save upload feature, and I'm only a few percentages into the new game plus playthrough. I guess, if the op is correct, I'll be having a few more issues in the future 

I had to do an (automatic) database rebuild. That was a brown trousers moment for sure. I mean, I'm used to it with cyberpunk, which just used to crash, but not lock right up. But a full database rebuild? I was actually very concerned..

Edited by TheMightyImp2
Typo

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry if am digging this up, but I wanted to share my experience too. I encountered several bugs throughout my playthrough, ones I never had with the original. Backpacks disappeared, but the icons were still visible on the map and in the world. Quitting and reloading fixed it. Yesterday my screen turned black but audio was still coming through when I reached the mission point where you are trying to help David in the last DLC. Closing the game and picking it back up fixed it. But the worst bug was the one that froze my PS5 when I simply quit and reloaded the checkpoint in the mission at the Fisk construction site with the big helicopter setpiece. I wanted to do the first encounter without alerting anyone, so I reloaded two or three times and then the bug happened. I had to cut the power supply because nothing was reacting. I wrote Insomniac about that one because it's critical and they simply ask me if I was able to continue the game. I'm not one that hangs around reddit or other places to report issues because I'm usually not there at launch, but I felt like I had to report it. I had a pretty glaring issue with DOOM Eternal on PS5 too, but none of Bethesda's suggestions helped and what's really frustrating me is that these support guys aren't forwarding these issues so someone can try to replicate them and fix it hopefully. And no, it's not okay when this stuff happens.

• 1 month later...