Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yuber1234

Should I play this game?

14 posts in this topic

I love Persona but I suck at puzzle games.

Edited by yuber1234
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This isn’t a persona game, it was developed by the same people who did persona.

 

To answer your question, No. i don't think its worth it if your not good at puzzles and don’t like to do then. This is a puzzle game.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This game was actually what led me to discovering and playing Persona 5, so to answer your question I do still think it's worth playing, but it's more of a case like, you'd probably rather have it be Catherine that led you to Persona instead of Persona leading you to Catherine.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you don't like puzzle games and also don't care about trophies then I'd say go for it! The story is really awesome, you can always play on safety or easy mode and overall there really is no other game like it. However, the trophy list is not easy, but it can be made easier by watching YouTube videos of other people playing the Rapunzel arcade, getting gold on all stages on all difficulties and using a guide to help you view all endings. Babel is a pain though because it requires skill and luck to beat, and lots of both. It all depends on if you care about trophies.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, PatinumNumemon said:

If you don't like puzzle games and also don't care about trophies then I'd say go for it! The story is really awesome, you can always play on safety or easy mode and overall there really is no other game like it. However, the trophy list is not easy, but it can be made easier by watching YouTube videos of other people playing the Rapunzel arcade, getting gold on all stages on all difficulties and using a guide to help you view all endings. Babel is a pain though because it requires skill and luck to beat, and lots of both. It all depends on if you care about trophies.

 

It's not that I don't "like" puzzle games; I'm just really bad at them. And I definitely do care about trophies lol.

 

The story looks great though. I'm really on the fence.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, yuber1234 said:

 

It's not that I don't "like" puzzle games; I'm just really bad at them. And I definitely do care about trophies lol.

 

The story looks great though. I'm really on the fence.

 

If you are looking at Catherine: Full Body which is the remake, I believe it has an auto mode for the puzzles.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, sunnydaleAlumni said:

 

If you are looking at Catherine: Full Body which is the remake, I believe it has an auto mode for the puzzles.

 

But I'm assuming auto mode would lock me out of trophies?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, yuber1234 said:

 

It's not that I don't "like" puzzle games; I'm just really bad at them. And I definitely do care about trophies lol.

 

The story looks great though. I'm really on the fence.

 

ooh, then yeah I wouldn't mess with it lol Babel is pretty hard, even if you memorize all the possible patterns that they throw at you, especially the later stages like Obelisk and Axis Mundi. The story is really good though, along with the soundtrack. I'd say if you have an alternate account and you can pick up the game cheap then play it on the alternate on safety or easy mode. The once you've seen it and played it for yourself you can decide if it is something you'd like to try and platinum on the main account. Do note that you have to play normal and hard difficulty to get all the gold prizes for a gold trophy, and the difference between easy and normal is noticeable BUT you can always use YouTube videos and copy what the person does to get you the gold prize (although random attacks can happen on boss stages, which would require you to have to improvise or get lucky.)

12 minutes ago, yuber1234 said:

 

But I'm assuming auto mode would lock me out of trophies?

 

oh no it won't lock you out of trophies you can earn when you're in the Stray Sheep bar, but it probably won't give you some trophies you have to earn during the nightmares. Those trophies tend to be easy, however, like moving a certain type of block back and forth 10 times in a row or trying to move an unmovable block twice in a row.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I currently have around 80 hours into the game and almost have the Platinum trophy (I just need the Trivia Collectible trophies and 1 Gold Cup on Normal difficulty).

 

First of all I'd like to say that the game is really really good, both it terms of gameplay and story, but also really challenging if you care about trophies. The game has 2 modes of play, Classic and Remix, and 4 difficulty options (safe, easy, normal and hard). You are required to get a Gold Cup in every single level of the game on all difficulties and modes making it a 7 playthroughs minimum journey by also counting a first guide-less run. You can of course re-try any level you have already completed during the game but doing so will lock you out of the possibility of saving between stages of the same level, practically forcing you to obtain the Gold you are looking for in 1 session. 

About difficulties 

- Safety: makes all blocks normal blocks / has an auto-undo if you mess up /  has auto-play / the layout is the same as the easy mode

- Easy:  auto-play (I don't know if using it locks you out from obtaining Golds, haven't tested it) / has an auto-undo if you mess up

- Normal has an auto-undo if you mess up

- Hard has none of the perks the other options offer. 

Each difficulty has its own level layout

 

Also, since you care about the trophies, there's also the Babel Tower to consider, which is basically 4 randomly generated levels of increasing difficulty with each it's own trophy. While the first 2 levels are quite doable after you get used to the game mechanics the other 2 are much harder with the 3rd being extremely RNG based (made worst by the fact that you cannot undo any moves in Babel) and the 4th requiring full mastery of the gameplay system. That said, you can make every level in Babel easier by playing it with a friend or by yourself with 2 controllers since Duo mode has easier layouts to navigate.

 

Rapunzel is a mini-game with 128 levels that has 2 trophies attached to it. It's probably the hardest thing in the game and will most likely force you to check out a guide more than  few times. The mini-game has a set number of attempts per day during your first playthrough but from the second run onward you get limitless re-tries.

 

There are more endings than the runs required to get all the Golds but some tactical saving will go a long way. You can also skip levels to rush to end for the different ending trophies but it requires you to have already cleared the level on your current difficulty and mode

 

Despite being hard I think you can pick the game up anyway since Babel has Duo mode and both the story mode and Rapunzel have YouTube guides to help you out if you get stuck. 

Catherine is a game anyone can enjoy but the Platinum requires lots of time and dedication. Good luck and have fun!

Edited by Yuuria_
Just grammar, as always
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Gameplay is pure puzzle game. I played it long ago on 360 and it was surprisingly difficult, but I think this new version has an easy mode type thing if you just want to experience the story (hopefully someone lease can confirm)

 

edit: Never mind, above guy confirmed in a much better post.

Edited by thefourfoldroot
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Yuuria_ said:

I currently have around 80 hours into the game and almost have the Platinum trophy (I just need the Trivia Collectible trophies and 1 Gold Cup on Normal difficulty).

 

First of all I'd like to say that the game is really really good, both it terms of gameplay and story, but also really challenging if you care about trophies. The game has 2 modes of play, Classic and Remix, and 4 difficulty options (safe, easy, normal and hard). You are required to get a Gold Cup in every single level of the game on all difficulties and modes making it a 7 playthroughs minimum journey by also counting a first guide-less run. You can of course re-try any level you have already completed during the game but doing so will lock you out of the possibility of saving between stages of the same level, practically forcing you to obtain the Gold you are looking for in 1 session. 

About difficulties 

- Safety: makes all blocks normal blocks / has an auto-undo if you mess up /  has auto-play / the layout is the same as the easy mode

- Easy:  auto-play (I don't know if using it locks you out from obtaining Golds, haven't tested it) / has an auto-undo if you mess up

- Normal has an auto-undo if you mess up

- Hard has none of the perks the other options offer. 

Each difficulty has it's own level layout

 

Also, since you care about the trophies, there's also the Babel Tower to consider, which is basically 4 randomly generated levels of increasing difficulty with each it's own trophy. While the first 2 levels are quite doable after you get used to the game mechanics the other 2 are much harder with the 3rd being extremely RNG based (made worst by the fact that you canno undo any moves in Babel) and the 4th requiring full mastery of the gameplay system. That said you can make every level in Babel easier by playing it with a friend or by yourself with 2 controllers since Duo mode has easier layouts to navigate.

 

Rapunzel is a mini-game with 128 levels that has 2 trophies attached to it. It's probably the hardest thing in the game and will most likely force you to check out a guide more than  few times. The mini-game has a set number of attempts per day during your first playthrough but from the second run onward you get limitless re-tries.

 

There are more endings than the runs required to get all the Golds but some tactical saving will go a long way. You can also skip levels to rush to end for the different ending trophies but it requires you to have already cleared the level on your current difficulty and mode

 

Despite being hard I think you can pick the game up anyway since Babel has Duo mode and both the story mode and Rapunzel have YouTube guides to help you out if you get stuck. 

Catherine is a game anyone can enjoy but the Platinum requires lots of time and dedication. Good luck and have fun!

 

Thanks for typing out such a detailed answer. I'm definitely not gonna be down for that, at least not any time soon.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, yuber1234 said:

 

Thanks for typing out such a detailed answer. I'm definitely not gonna be down for that, at least not any time soon.

I just wanted to give you an idea about what you were getting yourself into. Hope you'll pick up the game at some point because it's worth it, I've never played anything like it.

I'm glad I could help you make a more informed decision! 😊

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.