Armymed101

What faction did you first choose? Why?

11 posts in this topic

Hey gang,

I'm just curious to see what everyone first chose as their beginning faction or backstory when first playing CP77. I myself chose Nomad. This was because I personally come from a large family who are extremely tight knit. Seeing that was, in a sense, a comfort. I think next I want to try Corpo and do a "bad" run. I usually choose the happy go lucky person in Fallout and such. 

But what about you? Why did you choose Nomad/Corpo/Street Kid? Anyone having fun with it? I would LOVE to see an open multiplayer aspect where I can join friends in missions and such. 

Corpo.

I wanted to start in the city and be imbedded in the corporate/political intrigue.  

Nomad, it felt like the best choice to do as someone who knew nothing about Night City.

Was the other way around for me. I’m pretty much at home with the Cyberpunk game lore from the tabletop era (2013 then 2020) and more broadly with the whole genre through literature and films (and some other games, p&p or VG). Johnny, Alt, Rogue, Santiago, etc.: all those names still rang bells, and even years later I remember the drawings picturing them in the rule books or the sourcebooks published afterwards (which is why it made as little sense to me to cast Keanu Reeves as Johnny as it did casting Tom Cruise as Lestat).

So for my first run, I played as FemV, streetkid netrunner. Made the most sense to me.

Will go for MaleV nomad techie for next one, à la Cowboy in Hardwired. Waiting for a less glitchy version though.

Maybe I’ll play the corporat intro just out of curiosity, not sure I could stand a whole playthrough with this background. If I do, I’ll prob go the solo way.

1 hour ago, KennethMcCormick said:

Was the other way around for me. I’m pretty much at home with the Cyberpunk game lore from the tabletop era (2013 then 2020) and more broadly with the whole genre through literature and films (and some other games, p&p or VG). Johnny, Alt, Rogue, Santiago, etc.: all those names still rang bells, and even years later I remember the drawings picturing them in the rule books or the sourcebooks published afterwards (which is why it made as little sense to me to cast Keanu Reeves as Johnny as it did casting Tom Cruise as Lestat).

So for my first run, I played as FemV, streetkid netrunner. Made the most sense to me.

Will go for MaleV nomad techie for next one, à la Cowboy in Hardwired. Waiting for a less glitchy version though.

Maybe I’ll play the corporat intro just out of curiosity, not sure I could stand a whole playthrough with this background. If I do, I’ll prob go the solo way.

I must be completely ignorant because I had NO IDEA THERE WAS SO MUCH BACKSTORY/LORE!!! I will be reading into this much more! Do you have any recommendations for newbies like myself?

1 minute ago, Armymed101 said:

I must be completely ignorant because I had NO IDEA THERE WAS SO MUCH BACKSTORY/LORE!!! I will be reading into this much more! Do you have any recommendations for newbies like myself?

I, too, had no idea Cyberpunk has completely-fleshed out lore and history that rivals ShadowRun.

There are lots of excellent YouTube videos.  Just search "cyberpunk lore".   Some of those videos are 3 hours long just explaining the historical and social events leading up to the game.

6 minutes ago, Armymed101 said:

This book is really good, too. Has pretty art too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1506713580/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_t1_Zap6FbAVHJVKM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

9 hours ago, viknova said:

I, too, had no idea Cyberpunk has completely-fleshed out lore and history that rivals ShadowRun.[...]

Actually, game-wise, Shadowrun came after Cyberpunk. As lore goes, also, it’s a little bit like the Linux/BSD dichotomy, with Shadowrun being more of a collective work federated by Tom Dowd, whereas Cyberpunk is pretty much the work of Mike Pondsmith. My friends and I played Cyberpunk when we were looking for a more gritty feeling, and Shadowrun for a more action packed Hollywood-style ambiance.

9 hours ago, Armymed101 said:

You can’t go wrong by reading William Gibson, Bruce Sterling, Neal Stephenson, Walter Jon Williams, Greg Bear, George Alec Effinger... Not all of their works are Cyberpunk, just check before. And from before them, of course, Philip K. Dick.

In cinema, while not all directly Cyberpunk, films that come to mind (among plenty others!) would be Blade Runner, Brainstorm, Gattaca, In Time, Matrix, Equilibrium, Strange Days (there’s a Strange Days easter egg in CP2077, in some data shards you read about Lenny Nero, and the whole BD thing is globally from this film), Until the End of the World, Code 46...

Direct adaptations include Johnny Mnemonic (Gibson) and Hardwired (Williams).

Edited by KennethMcCormick
Clarification + added 2 films

56 minutes ago, viknova said:

I, too, had no idea Cyberpunk has completely-fleshed out lore and history that rivals ShadowRun.

There are lots of excellent YouTube videos.  Just search "cyberpunk lore".   Some of those videos are 3 hours long just explaining the historical and social events leading up to the game.

Oh man you weren't joking, I just saved a ton of them for late night review

35 minutes ago, KennethMcCormick said:

Actually, game-wise, Shadowrun came after Cyberpunk. As lore goes, also, it’s a little bit like the Linux/BSD dichotomy, with Shadowrun being more of a collective work federated by Tom Dowd, whereas Cyberpunk is pretty much the work of Mike Pondsmith. My friends and I played Cyberpunk when we were looking for a more gritty feeling, and Shadowrun for a more action packed Hollywood-style ambiance.

You can’t go wrong by reading William Gibson, Bruce Sterling, Neal Stephenson, Walter Jon Williams, Greg Bear, George Alec Effinger... Not all of their works are Cyberpunk, just check before. And from before them, of course, Philip K. Dick.

In cinema, while not all directly Cyberpunk, films that come to mind (among plenty others!) would be Blade Runner, Brainstorm, Gattaca, In Time, Matrix, Equilibrium, Strange Days (there’s a Strange Days easter egg in CP2077, in some data shards you read about Lenny Nero, and the whole BD thing is globally from this film), ...

Direct adaptations include Johnny Mnemonic (Gibson) and Hardwired (Williams).

Thank you for the heads up on all this! I didn't really expect much of a thread since this is my first and all. So, this is quite awesome!

I've finished the game three times now as a Nomad. While I am a bit disappointed that the prologue is the sole difference between them and the lack of most basic background feedback during the main game that is by far the most natural choice/cycle for me.

Come from the badlands with illusions of NC trying to become a legend, go through everything you go through in the story and realize how putrid and disgusting NC reality is and

Spoiler

finish of with the Star/Nomad ending leaving it behind and living 'free' again with a new family.

Simply didn't feel any incentive to a run as corpo/streetkid :D