Amazing game imo but damn it's depressing

K_e_r_c_k_11

1 hour ago, Valkirye22 said:

This will likely turn into one of 'those' threads for this game but in very short - I think they were right for the story.

A happy, everyone alive, cured, rebuilding the entire world, colonizing the moon ending just wouldn't work or fit this world.

We need more good 'story' games, a good story is a good story regardless if it is happy, sad, hopeful, depressing etc.

Example, MGS3: Snake Eater is one of my all time favorite games and stories - but (also as a whole MGS series) hardly 'happy'

Another would be Mass Effect Trilogy - that game had the set-up for multiple endings that could all fit, both sad and terrible ones, and great successful ones but they did what they did and I never felt more disappointed in terms of ending a game/game series in my life. TLOU and TLOU2 are for me perfect and fitting, both, in their own way.

I would add Life is Strange, it doesn't have stricte "good and happy" endings as well.

• Like 1

I remember when I finished this game and gods was a whine.
Not because the game itself is bad, but because of the message it sends and how it enters your mind and everything becomes a mess.
To this day, I can't hear any TLOU soundtrack without feeling like this.

What a game my friends, what a game.
  • Like 3

Irrespective of the game's quality I'm staying away from  TLOU Part II for the sake of my mental health. I've seen peers crack from swallowing the sewage load of pop culture discourse, be it Star Wars toxicity, comic book movies or other stuff. It sucks that I've come to see both sides (people who like the game vs. people who dislike it) have had their share of dismissively aggressive energy to each other, when it comes to Naughty Dog's latest title.

Attentional space and personal reactions are now modern day economies for platforms. The same goes for anyone's personal capacity to withstand the onslaught of fandom baggage. Social media easily lasers sentiments of varying polarities into concentration. If one's not careful, toxicities across the discourse spectrum can easily compromise one's general moods, emotional-reflex and performance in their personal lives, work-related or even just trying to enjoy one's hobbies in general.

There are hundreds of other games out there I can play without getting emotionally invested and sucked into the blackhole of spats and indignation across forums and Twitter for TLOU Part II. I intend to do just that.

Edited by Eraezr
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, Eraezr said:

Irrespective of the game's quality I'm staying away from  TLOU Part II for the sake of my mental health. I've seen peers crack from swallowing the sewage load of pop culture discourse, be it Star Wars toxicity, comic book movies or other stuff. It sucks that I've come to see both sides (people who like the game vs. people who dislike it) have had their share of dismissively aggressive energy to each other, when it comes to Naughty Dog's latest title.

Attentional space and personal reactions are now modern day economies for platforms. The same goes for anyone's personal capacity to withstand the onslaught of fandom baggage. Social media easily lasers sentiments of varying polarities into concentration. If one's not careful, toxicities across the discourse spectrum can easily compromise one's general moods, emotional-reflex and performance in their personal lives, work-related or even just trying to enjoy one's hobbies in general.

There are hundreds of other games out there I can play without getting emotionally invested and sucked into the blackhole of spats and indignation across forums and Twitter for TLOU Part II. I intend to do just that.

Honestly, it's is a very much worth playing, high polish, high quality ND title. However, like many (all) other games (general things) it is not necessarily worth discussing online.

I would definitely recommend you as a title to play and make up your own mind - i can keep mine down to two words: loved it.

Really no need to scour YT, Twitter, Critic pages or reddit or whatever - or even pay attention to it.

Give it a play, and decide for yourself if you enjoyed it or not why even concern yourself with what the 'internet' thinks of it?

• Like 4

I thought about one particular scene for days:

Spoiler

The Joel and Ellie porch finale. ☹️

Must admit, as I get older, grim stuff affects me quite a bit more than it used to. Probably not the most appropriate game to play for those in a negative state of mind.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 29.12.2020 at 2:14 PM, Abby_TheLastofUs said:

-snip-

Hey man, I am now 17 hours into the game and I wonder about your attached picture and the trans rights thing. Is it a statement you made to tackle all of these hateful comments online? Cause what I've seen so far in the game is just a muscular and straight woman who is not trans. ?

On 29/12/2020 at 11:46 AM, K-e-r-c-k said:

Now that I saw and finished this game, I can honestly say that, some people were right to hate this one. Not gonna lie, the game looks gorgeous and does not need anything else. I just wished that ND picked a better storyline. This game is just so sad and depressing, especially if you play the first game. 

Gameplay is awesome, an improvement to the first game. Grounded mode on the other hand needed a little bit polishing. Enemies are way too sensitive to your presence and could spot you in less than 2 seconds not to mention that 70% of my kills were stealth kills the rest are obviously head on fights. Boss fights were amazing and its good that they were not that repetitive. 

One tip I could say is that, do NOT try this game on grounded on your first run. It'll drive you mad, cause I did ragequit 3 times in 3 different parts. Human enemies of this game is the bane of my existence 

The downer storyline is pretty much the reason why I haven't picked it up yet - my 2020/2021 brain just hasn't been up for something as dark as this yet.

• Like 1

I didn’t find this anymore “depressing” than the first game or really the Walking Dead Telltale games.  It is a bleak world sure but it is also captivating.

The revenge and two-sides-to-every-story angle worked great IMO.  The part that fell flat to me was the whole Lev/Yara storyline in an attempt to make Abby more likable perhaps.  She already had the perfect motive and that did not feel true to her character to so easily turn her back on her lifelong friends.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gommes_ said:

Hey man, I am now 17 hours into the game and I wonder about your attached picture and the trans rights thing. Is it a statement you made to tackle all of these hateful comments online? Cause what I've seen so far in the game is just a muscular and straight woman who is not trans. 1f914.png

Abby isn't trans, but she's protective of a trans character in the game.

• Like 3

While this is still a civilized thread, I totally get it. Depressing movies are established, and we accept that not every movie has to have a happy ending, or even a clean resolution. But video games are still a young art form, and games that try the "maybe you were the bad guy all along?" twist aren't always accepted super well. I've written about this before, and how embodying the protagonist makes us relate to the actions they take more than we do when watching a movie. So when those actions are questioned by the game itself, we take it more personally.

I don't mind the Lev/Yara storyline because I see it as

Spoiler

Abby finally achieving her revenge, then waking up the next day and realizing not that much is different and she's still stuck in the same terrible and violent situation she was in before. Lev and Yara give her a opportunity and reason to escape the cycle of violence she couldn't escape herself, while Ellie is falling even further into the exact same cycle.

AnthonyCaliber put it best: "It's not a fun story, but it's the story they needed to tell"

Lol exactly. I want to eventually buy and play TLOU2 but I watched the entire gameplay via a livestreamer and indeed, this game is depressing af. Even though I know the things that happen, I cannot mentally prepare myself to play it myself and “relive it”. ;-;

It is a good game, mechanically sound, and I had no bugs from Day 1. That said I feel I liked the combat with Joel in the first game much better, I played the original 9 times IIRC and the sequel 1.5 times.

It leaves you feeling raw, like an exposed and opened wound. Your rage fuels you for a long time but it does burn out as you see things in a new light and then... Ellie broke my heart. And I still had Act 3 to go through!

I want to get 100% but I haven't found the will to go back for Permadeath and Grounded... just thinking about it can drain me sometimes. 

4 hours ago, Gommes_ said:

She is? Okay, maybe I haven't met that character yet. But thanks for the reply

You meet said character in Act 2.

I've played through the game completely twice and i still am not all that sure how i feel about it. Had one or two glitches but other than that i have very little complaints gameplay wise, i loved the combat. I think they could of handled the story better but this game also features some of my favorite and my least favorite scenes out of all the games ive ever played. Only thing i know for sure is the game made me really sad. Got to play it the night it came out and i had to put it down after that one particular scene and take a break for a while

I personally loved the game but it took a lot out of me, though there are threads of hope in the ending:

Spoiler

Abby and Lev made it to the Fireflies. Ellie forgave Joel and herself and is able to move on with her life.

To be honest, I really, really don't think the stories of these characters need to go on though, and

Spoiler

perhaps neither do Naughty Dog, case in point- Joel. They could have made Joel the next Nathan Drake and milked him for sequel after sequel but instead they bumped him off immediately. 

Which was, in my humble opinion, the right move for this style of game and story. This isn't swashbuckling, Indiana Jones stuff; this is a Cormac McCarthy novel. What I would like to see are other stories that take place in this world. It's what I had hoped for in a sequel and I got that halfway, sort of. Minority opinion, probably.

Edited by Stan Lee
  • Like 3

depressing?! its just a videogame ffs lol

granted i felt exhausted after first playthrough, but after that, the gameplay and grounded mode gives it replayable value. i played through this game about 5 times before moving on. loved it each time!

nothing wrong with the story. in fact i think the storytelling raises the bar in videogames. i like to see more games that stimulate deep thought, complemented with gameplay.

i love to see a DLC. ellie's story is done (save her for part 3), abby's story is done, as is joels. i like to perhaps do a followup to tommy, as i'll be curious what he gets up to after the game (though him being crippled could be a problem), or maybe play from lev's perspective though i dont know as what. maybe tommy rescues someone and takes him/her back to jackson? multiplayer could be scars vs WLF or co-op in jackson keeping out infected (love it if they could tie some story to that, e.g. working under maria while tommy and ellie are in seattle).

i've moved on from this game but it gets annoying when i get angry, aggressive and argumentative replies to my comments on youtube by people just because i dont share their opinion on this polarising game. christ, its just a game people.

and theres nothing wrong with grounded. practise makes perfect. consult youtube vids if you're stuck. save your weapons if forced to use them (or use them at the end of segments). learn to get past stealth sections without using any weapons. much of the time i sometimes charge through, though with human opponents thats harder. and look everywhere for resources.

Edited by rockstarjazz