Speedrunning Trophies for Top 50 Fastest Achievers - Worth It?

AJ_Radio

Used to rush games when I was younger, even when no trophies were present, mainly for boasting rights, but now I take my time, and guess what, I'm enjoying the games, even more, and appreciate what the games have to offer (at least the good ones).

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

I don't speedrun a game unless it's a trophy requirement. Rather not try to rush things.

The speedrun trophies I have done haven't been anything real difficult.

Both Velocity Ultra and Velocity 2X play in the same fashion where your goal is to score a "Perfect" on every level. Timing is essential, but the games were enjoyable enough on their own because I enjoy a good platformer.

If it isn't anything I have to do, then it's better to take your time with it.

10 minutes ago, Demon--Prototype said:

I am the fastest achiever on Evil Within KR and it ended up being the quickest time across all stacks. I didn't study anything, or go through any preparation.

Sometimes when you love a game so much it just happens naturally. 

Very doubtful.

Even if I bought a game that only a niche audience would ever care for, there's a good chance I won't earn a spot on the Fastest Achievers unless the game is so obscure or difficult there's less than 50 people who have finished it.

I can love Marvel's Spider Man, but I'll never be on that top page. Why? Because thousands of people have already done the game on this website. I would have to no life and stay up for 48 - 50 hours playing the game if I want to stand a chance in earning that high ranking.

That's not fun, that is torture.

6 minutes ago, hsn963 said:

Used to rush games when I was younger, even when no trophies were present, mainly for boasting rights, but now I take my time, and guess what, I'm enjoying the games, even more, and appreciate what the games have to offer (at least the good ones).

I never rushed any game back when I was a kid. I just took the game as is and went about my life.

The only games I ever rushed were games like Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario World and a few others. Mainly because I know those games inside and out.

• Like 2

I certainly don't care at all about trophy speedruns, all that vaguely interests me about a completion time is how long it took someone on their first try, blind, that's the only way you can view a completion time as any form of gaming skill.

Putting continuous hours into the same task is going to net better results in that one task, whether it be a trophy speedrun or a regular speedrun.

Don't get me wrong I'm not taking anything away from top speed runners and what they've done is often insane to watch (GDQ is great fun to watch) but the context is important, they basically day in day out re-do the exact same route through a game, it's not even comparable to pros in eSports, they learn the game to its fullest but each match is effectively different and they have to adapt and basically be good at the game as a whole and all its mechanics, a speedrun is the exact same (RNG events aside), they follow the same route and exact same techniques to a point where frankly they SHOULD be good at that one run. The amount of 'pro' speed runners I see who fall apart when tasked with playing a new game or even just when a new discovery is found in the game they speedrun.

It's just a choice, to spend a lot of time shaving seconds off one games completion versus going out and enjoying other games that are out there, I don't put speedrunners down but I don't put them on any kind of pedistall, it's just a choice, and being a speedrunner makes you no more or less skilled than any other gamer. The same goes for people who grind for higher leaderboard positions in single player games.

On a side note about completion times for trophies though, I do wish people wouldn't keep judging people by how long their times are compared to themselves or others, just in general, not massively related to the topic so much.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Spaz said:

What are your guys thoughts? Do you enjoy the idea of speed running for trophies? Does speed running make you try new things and encourage you to strive harder? Is speed running enjoyable for you?

I remember not liking the original Super Mario Bros. because there was a timer on the screen. Sure, it's now considered one of the best games of all time, and the timer was never so strict as to actually cause you problems, but the fact that there was a physical counter ticking away on the corner of the screen bothered me. It was like a clock telling me how much longer I could enjoy the game. How could any kid like that? And I grew up in a very strict household, where I already had a limited amount of time to play video games. Something about it just rubbed me the wrong way.

Obviously, I got over it, but it REALLY bothered me in Quest 64 (I think?), where you had a set number of days to complete the entire game. I just wanted to be able to enjoy the game at my own pace.

Not much has changed since then. I understand there are times in a game where a countdown might be necessary -- like when a bomb is about to go off, or when somebody's life is in danger -- but I don't remember ever thinking, "Wow, I'm glad the game is rushing me here." If anything, it's only good for an added challenge, or maybe to make the game more immersive. I guess trying to get on the Fastest Achievers lists does that for some people, but I don't see the point. Rushing most things in life just ruins them, and I rarely play games that can be beaten in one sitting anyway, so the idea of putting a video game before all of the other priorities in my life seems ridiculous.

That said, I think it might be fun to try to "rush" games that I really enjoy by my own metrics. Like, beating a game I really like in under 20 hours, but spread out over several days. Wouldn't get me on a top 50 list, but would probably be a more enjoyable experience.

• Like 2

I would never try and speed run for trophies in a game, just not for me. The only time I thought about getting trophies in the quickest time possible was when trophies were added to MGS4 back in 2012. I just ended up getting burnt out with the 8 play through's + the Big Boss emblem run was insanely difficult and took me a long time..

When going for the Crash Bandicoot platinum I came across a speed runner named Jordy on YouTube... he's actually way too impressive at the game and I find myself still watching him from time to time... and that's about the only ties/interest that I have with regards to speed running. Seriously he's an actual God ?

17 minutes ago, Tounavis said:

Demon--prototype you were first.A bunch of others faster. 

Me I had rocked league fastest time until they added more DLC.

Speedrunning isn't for me.Too much rng and skills required.Am average player

Show me a faster time than 2 days 3 hours to 100% The Evil Within including all dlcs.

Ill wait ?

• Like 2

I like speed runs. It's quite enjoyable to see how you can get to learn a game by heart and pull everything off quickly. With that being said though id never go out of my way to rush through a game just to be the fastest achiever. If it's something I can do quickly or that comes naturally sure but if not then I could care less. 

Edited by NaseemJohn
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Tounavis said:

Speedrunning isn't for me.Too much rng and skills required.Am average player

I'm very average too.

If I ever do a YouTube Let's Play or Live Stream, you will see that I tend to slip up and screw up a lot. I'm a very clumsy player, I don't have the technical skills nor the sheer concentration that those speed runners you see on those videos have.

Of course you can make the argument that those guys spent thousands of hours on those games playing them until they literally perfected them. I don't like doing that myself. That's taking a game far beyond it's base value, and is something only a very small minority would even do anyway.

1 hour ago, JohnCenaSong- said:

It's just a choice, to spend a lot of time shaving seconds off one games completion versus going out and enjoying other games that are out there, I don't put speedrunners down but I don't put them on any kind of pedistall, it's just a choice, and being a speedrunner makes you no more or less skilled than any other gamer. The same goes for people who grind for higher leaderboard positions in single player games.

On a side note about completion times for trophies though, I do wish people wouldn't keep judging people by how long their times are compared to themselves or others, just in general, not massively related to the topic so much.

Most people don't find speed runs enjoyable, that's why only a select few go for them and for those who have success in those speed run competitions on YouTube, I can respect them for it.

I guess in that sense there is a point. But I see absolutely no point in grinding for higher leaderboard positions in single player games or multiplayer games for that matter.

I tried doing that a long time ago on the game Runescape and I just hated myself. I wasn't getting anywhere and I wasn't gaining anything by reaching a certain amount of XP just so I can have a high ranking. Once I decided to just stop with all that nonsense and play to enjoy the game for what it was, I was having a lot more fun.

1 hour ago, Cassylvania said:

I remember not liking the original Super Mario Bros. because there was a timer on the screen. Sure, it's now considered one of the best games of all time, and the timer was never so strict as to actually cause you problems, but the fact that there was a physical counter ticking away on the corner of the screen bothered me. It was like a clock telling me how much longer I could enjoy the game. How could any kid like that? And I grew up in a very strict household, where I already had a limited amount of time to play video games. Something about it just rubbed me the wrong way.

That's just how it was back then. Virtually every other game on the NES had a timer and the same goes for the SNES and Genesis. But after a while the timer became an outdated format, which was around the time that 2-D games were going away.

Super Mario Bros was groundbreaking in that it basically revived the video game industry. There was nothing in 1985 that looked as good and played so fluidly. This was also one of the first video games that factored in the jumping mechanic, how long you hold the jump button mattered.

1 hour ago, Cassylvania said:

Not much has changed since then. I understand there are times in a game where a countdown might be necessary -- like when a bomb is about to go off, or when somebody's life is in danger -- but I don't remember ever thinking, "Wow, I'm glad the game is rushing me here." If anything, it's only good for an added challenge, or maybe to make the game more immersive. I guess trying to get on the Fastest Achievers lists does that for some people, but I don't see the point. Rushing most things in life just ruins them, and I rarely play games that can be beaten in one sitting anyway, so the idea of putting a video game before all of the other priorities in my life seems ridiculous.

That said, I think it might be fun to try to "rush" games that I really enjoy by my own metrics. Like, beating a game I really like in under 20 hours, but spread out over several days. Wouldn't get me on a top 50 list, but would probably be a more enjoyable experience.

I did it mostly to see what the deal was. Personally I just don't think it's worth it.

I can beat a Housemarque game in just a few hours, that's just what I did a few months ago. Doesn't mean I'm good or skilled, I just played it in one sitting.

1 hour ago, Demon--Prototype said:

Very doubtful?

With preparation and no sleep, my time could be destroyed by many hours.. Don't doubt something you know nothing about.

You'll never be on that top page because you simply don't have the dedication or skill to get there.

Don't treat it as a competition.

You're the very small minority. That's fine, but just remember that not everyone thinks the same way you do when it comes to speed running. Most people just see it as pointless.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 2

It's not something I keep in mind all that much when playing a game. I'm usually somewhat slow at platting games due to a limit of free time. There have been a couple of cases where I blew through a game and ended up high on the leaderboards for completion time. It's nothing I ever planned prior, it was just something I felt like doing once I had already made a lot of progress in the game in a short amount of time. My best example is Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition. I got the 100% in like 2 days and some change and ended at #7 or 8 for 100% completion time. It was kind of a fun personal achievement. Doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things, it just shows how much free time I had and was willing to spend playing one game. I had already played and plat'd it before on the PS3 so it didn't bother me to rush through it. And it's not a difficult game at all, of course.

So, I dunno. Not sure I'd describe them as "pointless". I can understand the appeal for the small crowd that enjoys it and also see why most people don't bother. That's also pretty relevant when thinking about trophy hunting... most players don't care about too much about trophies. Anyway, trophy speed-running is just a hobby within a hobby... within a hobby. (Video games, trophies, trophy speed-run)

5 minutes ago, nyonmyan said:

Trophies are pointless, and trophy speedruns are pointless by extension. Their value comes from personal enjoyment and is purely subjective.

The term you're looking for is "opinion".

That's what 99 percent of forum threads and discussions boil down to.

3 minutes ago, Jay_Cash said:

It's not something I keep in mind all that much when playing a game. I'm usually somewhat slow at platting games due to a limit of free time. There have been a couple of cases where I blew through a game and ended up high on the leaderboards for completion time. It's nothing I ever planned prior, it was just something I felt like doing once I had already made a lot of progress in the game in a short amount of time. My best example is Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition. I got the 100% in like 2 days and some change and ended at #7 or 8 for 100% completion time. It was kind of a fun personal achievement. Doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things, it just shows how much free time I had and was willing to spend playing one game. I had already played and plat'd it before on the PS3 so it didn't bother me to rush through it. And it's not a difficult game at all, of course.

So, I dunno. Not sure I'd describe them as "pointless". I can understand the appeal for the small crowd that enjoys it and also see why most people don't bother. That's also pretty relevant when thinking about trophy hunting... most players don't care about too much about trophies. Anyway, trophy speed-running is just a hobby within a hobby... within a hobby. (Video games, trophies, trophy speed-run)

I felt I took my time with Velocity 2X and I'm still ranked 6th in the Fastest Achievers list.

When you feel that you're overworking yourself just to speed run through the game, that's when it becomes pointless.

That's just me.

Rushing isn’t my thing so I just obtain a platinum and 100% for myself without worrying if others beat me to it or not. Don’t feel like competing with others over that type of stuff, I prefer to do things in my own time when I feel like it.

Edited by BrettyBoy

I don't mind speedruns for trophies, some I actually quite enjoy, but if it doesn't involve a trophy I just take my time with the game. Now, I've made it into the Top 50 Fastest 100%ers a few times with some games but that's because I couldn't put them down and had plenty of time on my hands when I played them but definitely wasn't trying for them.

3 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

I don't speedrun a game unless it's a trophy requirement. Rather not try to rush things.

this though i have saw some good games where they have put in the speedrun requirement that worked pretty well. God Of War had this listed as a trophy to finish in under 5 hours. it's made easier by the fact you unlock costumes (the costumes make it easier to do) and you could save (even cloud save) if one of the times was behind projected finish wouldn't lose everything.

Edited by kingdrake2

I find trophy speedruns to be quite compelling in theory but they often fall flat in practice.

I think my main issue with the idea is that even when playing theoretically close to perfectly, quite a lot of games will still require time investments that go beyond what can be done in one playing session. This is where you run into a problem, as the clock doesn’t stop ticking when you turn the game off.

The solution is obvious. Spend more time playing, less time sleeping, eating or relaxing your eyes. It quickly gets to a point where this behavior is detrimental to your health and i’d argue that this type of behavior is necessary to rank top 10 in games with decent playerbases.

So in summary i’d say trophy speedrunning is great for some games but nothing i’d consider for most.

• Like 3

Speedruns I view as about 10% a measure of skill, and 90% how much free time one has to replay again and again. 

Sidenote: as a kid I loved racing games. Practicing a track many times and shaving milliseconds off lap or race times was a hugely enjoyable affair. I imagine if I was a kid again I'd be in to speed running. I don't have enough free time (or just life) to enjoy that type of thing anymore. 

• Like 1

I don't like speedrunning trophies because I like my timestamps to reflect how I played the game, and I wouldn't want to play on a blank profile or look up guides first.  The closest I've come is Shenmue 1 & 2, but even they weren't actual speedruns as I didn't skip cutscenes or plan the most effective routes to the plats.  I just made my first playthrough of each focus on the plats, from memory of playing them so much on DC.

• Like 1