IantoEvs

Why have so few people finished the game?

24 posts in this topic

After looking at the trophy list, I was surprised to see that the trophy for finishing the game has a percentage of just over 10%. I found this surprising, as its not the most difficult of games to complete, especially if you are playing with Tails. There were only a few tricky bosses, but once you get an understanding of the pattern, it shouldn't take too long.

I guess nostalgia may be a factor. Some people may want to recreate the feeling of playing one of the Sonic games from their youth (as I did), but found their gaming skills aren't quite were they used to be. Or, possible they haven't the time or inclination to go beyond the early levels.

Edited by IanEvs79

Yep.  Free on ps+ means a billion people booted it up, played the first stage, then never turned it on again.

2 minutes ago, MrBeens said:

Yep.  Free on ps+ means a billion people booted it up, played the first stage, then never turned it on again.

I am one of those lol 

Thank makes sense. At least it makes a lot of the trophies much rarer now 😂

I downloaded it but never got into it, so I gave up. I guess I add to that number 

I'm playing it this last couple of days, honestly, it's kind of weird. Some level, levl design, where to go, how to do thing, it's just NOT clear at all, sometime I just play without really understand what I'm doing ahah ! I think most peolple let go cause they have nostalgia but when you play the game, this game at least, it's ... kinda weird. I'm gonna play till the end at least but honestly I'm kinda low hyped if we can tell. 

It's a kid-friendly PS+ game, so I would imagine a lot of parents let their kids play this game. Naturally, kids being kids, they have the attention span of a goldfish, they probably stop playing way before the ending of the game. I know from personal experience. I let my little nephew play on my PS4 during a visit because he wanted to play Sonic Mania. He was pretty much done with it after the first stage.

I can't even remember when it was free on PS+ :facepalm:

Loved the main game even got the collectors edition. the 3D bonus stage is just shit. Think that’s why many people didn’t 100% it.

Posted (edited)

Maybe this was just a me being awful at video games thing - but I legitimately died so much just trying to complete the base game. So many game over's - especially on the sewer plant and flyship bases levels. I took nearly a whole year off from it and brute forced my way to finishing it. The game was brutally difficult for me, and hell the blue spheres will turn off virtually everyone who isn't intentionally going for them. 

Edited by realm722

Those blue sphere zones are a nightmare. After two complete playthroughs, I've only managed 2 golds and 6 silvers. It's hard enough at normal speed, but then it gets quicker the longer you play! I fully understand why those two trophies are ultra rare 😂

I don’t think the Blue Sphere stages are actually that bad. The issue is the way they’re presented, because it cycles through all 32 until you get a medal in each to stop it appearing, you can’t just play the same level repeatedly and it takes longer to memorise the layouts/learn from your mistakes.

I picked up the game a few days ago so only just finished the story and started to clear the blue sphere stages (upto 3 Gold, 8 Silver medals so far) but I imagine once you’ve cleared most of the medals and only see the same 3 or 4 levels looping they become pretty easy.

For one, it was a PS Plus game, meaning most who played it only tried it out and will never earn all the trophies. 

Two, it’s an old school style platformer that was commonplace back in the 1990s. Those older games require a level of skill and commitment that modern gamers in general will not have. 

Third, it’s Sonic, who generally gets a bad reputation amongst the video game community because of how Sonic Team has treated him over the years. 

Finally, you got some trophies in Sonic Mania that will prove frustrating and a tad difficult for many, including the one speedrun trophy. Getting all the Gold Medallions requires some muscle memory because there are over 30 of those special stages. 

You factor all of this, and you will know why so few have finished this game.

I like Sonic Mania but some things about it annoyed me. Like a trophy where you have to complete a stage without being hit but having the AI Tails count as being "hit".

That was kinda dick move as I always enjoyed having Tails run around with me but punishing the user by playing it as the game intended it to be played.

Had I have known I would have turned him off but you can't turn him on and off you need an entire new save for that...there's also some trophies that are way easier if you play as Tails. Having to play as Tails only right from the start of the game just seems like an odd choice. I have not looked at the guide but I can see it being

"SONIC MANIA!!!! Oh, just play only as Tails"

The trophies in this game kinda suck almost as much as the other Sonic 4 eps 1 and 2, just kinda annoyingly hard.

But yeah I like Sonic Mania but I found the special stages really quite hard on my eyes, I remember having no problems back in the day on Sonic 3, maybe I just got old but I just didn't enjoy the bonus stages anymore.

Edited by enaysoft

I think it’s due to many factors.

Firstly, most guides I’ve seen for this game rank it at like 5/10, but personally it’s much more difficult than that, I’d rather play Crash 1 blindfolded than this game. The lives system is generally considered an outdated game mechanic & this game seems to punish you heavily. It only truly saves every zone, therefore if you find Zone 1 Act 2 extremely difficult you’re going to have to continue to reheat Zone 1 Act 1 to get back to Act 2. The game also doesn’t really explain anything, it definitely feel likes an old school game, and honestly it seems like a detriment to me. But clearly not everyone feels this way as most people consider this to be one of the best Sonic games.

The level structure also means it’s really difficult to gauge how far into a level you are & if a trophy requires you to get to _ it’ll be difficult to follow even if you watch a video guide.

I played and beaten the game on the switch. Pretty great game

32 minutes ago, OmegaRejectz said:

I think it’s due to many factors.

Firstly, most guides I’ve seen for this game rank it at like 5/10, but personally it’s much more difficult than that, I’d rather play Crash 1 blindfolded than this game. The lives system is generally considered an outdated game mechanic & this game seems to punish you heavily. It only truly saves every zone, therefore if you find Zone 1 Act 2 extremely difficult you’re going to have to continue to reheat Zone 1 Act 1 to get back to Act 2. The game also doesn’t really explain anything, it definitely feel likes an old school game, and honestly it seems like a detriment to me. But clearly not everyone feels this way as most people consider this to be one of the best Sonic games.

The level structure also means it’s really difficult to gauge how far into a level you are & if a trophy requires you to get to _ it’ll be difficult to follow even if you watch a video guide.

The lives things annoyed me too, like on my second playthrough I grinded just on the green hill zone for 50 lives without clearing it before moving on, since later on if you run out of lives it's not possible to easily get anymore later on. All of the recent Sonic games in general have stupid issues like that.

I remember on Sonic 4 Part 1 I never got all the chaos emeralds because it locks you to one per stage, so I had most on the easier stages but just to try again on a stage you have to select on a harder longer stage and play it well just to have one chance at the special stage again at the end of the stage, you can only earn one emerald on each stage and most likely you will have all the easier special stages cleared all on the easier levels, had I have known this shit system in advance I would have collected none and worked backwards, getting an easy special stage cleared on the later levels and then leaving the final chaos emeralds to be earned on the easier first couple of stages.

It's dumb the system is like that, I hate games that make you play a weird way. In a way you should just be able to select a special stage in the menu to try again once you have attempted it at least once, and that goes for Sonic Mania too. Having to repeatedly play stage 1 to get into a special stage is possible in Sonic Mania but they just skip that altogether. Other than wasting the player's time having to make "retry" so much longer, especially when it's just for a bronze or silver in this game.

Edited by enaysoft

I like the blue spheres bonus stages... Even if they're a little barfy now as an adult. It does help that a good chunk of the special stages are from S3&K or use similar gimmicks so if you played them, you have a good idea what to expect. Still, I only did them because I wanted to play the new bonus stage that happens when you get all the gold medals.

I assumed it was the game not having a platinum that contributed to no one finishing it. 

Blue sphere makes me sick.

Even wheb I was a kid I couldn't stomach them in sonic 3

7 hours ago, OmegaRejectz said:

The game also doesn’t really explain anything, it definitely feel likes an old school game, and honestly it seems like a detriment to me.

I've played the shit out of the old Sonic games on the Sega Genesis/Megadrive so Sonic Mania was basically second nature to me. But.... for many of you who didn't get into gaming until well after the N64 generation, you're going to have a much more difficult time with it especially if you're not used to this kind of game.

Sonic Mania is basically a throwback to the old games we got nearly 30 years ago, so it did the franchise a lot of justice. It doesn't need any tutorials and as kids we were expected to pick up and play the games without any help.

Because Sonic games were always rubbish, but for a lot of people, nostalgia has rose-tinted the crapness of them away. Take out the financial barrier by putting the game on PS+, and loads of people probably booted it up, thinking “hey, I remember these games from when I was young, I think I liked them...”, played 10 minutes, then realised “oh, wait, these were rubbish and I was just a dumb kid at the time...”

36 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Because Sonic games were always rubbish, but for a lot of people, nostalgia has rose-tinted the crapness of them away. Take out the financial barrier by putting the game on PS+, and loads of people probably booted it up, thinking “hey, I remember these games from when I was young, I think I liked them...”, played 10 minutes, then realised “oh, wait, these were rubbish and I was just a dumb kid at the time...”

Bullshit. Sonic appealed to kids, plain and simple. I will say Mario always had better games, and I will stand by that statement. Sonic Adventure was decent, but once the Dreamcast was gone and done away with Sonic has mostly gotten medicore games ranging from so so to horrible (Sonic 2006 anyone?).

Sonic suffered the same fate that Duke Nukem did. Both franchises that were only really good with 1 - 2 games, with the rest merely being fan service, and not really evolving past the time period they came from. Nintendo in contrast has treated their flagship franchises properly, with Mario, Zelda and Metroid taking a leap forward with every big game.

And I will just say those old Sonic games that so many people loved far surpass the quality of many horrid platformers in the NES/SNES generation that would be worthy of an Angry Video Game Nerd review video. I'm of course talking of Sonic 1 thru Sonic & Knuckles. All good games for their time, but not games that will appeal to the kids today.