I'm Looking For A Turn-Based Game To Play

MrTacoNinja

I'm a little picky because I don't want that Final Fantasy-type of turn-based. What I'm specifically looking for is turn-based like Mutant Year Zero, Falling Skies, Rainbow Moon/Skies, etc. Basically the grid-based type. I don't want anything that's far too drawn out, complexing and confusing (i.e. Blackguards 2) nor do I want anything with a mind numbing grind (i.e. God Wars: Future Past) or anything else that's frustratingly difficult and punishes the player (i.e. all the XCOM games). 

If anyone can think of anything please feel free to send it my way.

10 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Have you played valkyria chronicles?

Hi Doc. Yeah I was actually watching YouTube videos earlier today and the gameplay is just... I don't know, I'm just not feeling how it's implemented, especially when it comes to each turn whether it be yours or the enemies. The constant zooming in and out of the map to move to a different position immediately didn't sit well with me at all and I hate the camera angle. I'm used to the top-down approach that most other turn-based games take.

Edited by MrTacoNinja

47 minutes ago, MrTacoNinja said:

Hi Doc. Yeah I was actually watching YouTube videos earlier today and the gameplay is just... I don't know, I'm just not feeling how it's implemented, especially when it comes to each turn whether it be yours or the enemies. The constant zooming in and out of the map to move to a different position immediately didn't sit well with me at all and I hate the camera angle. I'm used to the top-down approach that most other turn-based games take.

It took me a bit but I really got into it once I started :)

• Like 1

If you enjoyed mutant year zero then i have no doubt you'll enjoy these ones.

Xcom 2 is by far the best one you'll find right now, trust me. I'd also suggest you grab War of the chosen expansion as its essentially its own game and is just as good, if not even better than the already excellent base game. I wouldn't say it punishes the player whatsoever though, it just punishes those who don't learn the games mechanics. There's a learning curve but once you get down the "actual" way to play, you'll get through all of the challenges the game has to offer. 

Banner saga trilogy is another excellent turn based series that id highly recommend but it's certainly not for everyone due to its heavy text based narration with an emphasis on dialog choices and resource management.

Wasteland 3 is a more recent one but also the best we've gotten in awhile to me personally. The plat is currently unobtainable but it will get patched in the next update if you're concerned about completion. 

Edited by BrandedBerserk

31 minutes ago, xLetsP1ayGod said:

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim is an excellent VN where the combat is basically turn based

Good god no. Just no, lol! After watching gameplay videos the constant blah blah blah is annoying and the gameplay itself looks TERRIBLE!

28 minutes ago, Tylernol-3 said:

You might like "Narcos: Rise of the Cartels".

Played it. Hated it because they went and fucked with a core mechanic found in every other turn-based game I've ever played or heard about and completely did away with it.

9 minutes ago, guy who says bruh said:

Wasteland 2 DC. Absolutely recommended, especially if you fan of Fallout 1 or 2.

Game is kinda hard at beginning but once you figure out how to play and what to do, you will experience one of the best RPGs of last generation.

I've actually researched this game several times over the years and after reading about the constant crashes, horrible loading times and bugs galore I skipped on it.

5 minutes ago, BrandedBerserk said:

Xcom 2 is by far the best one you'll find right now, trust me. I'd also suggest you grab War of the chosen expansion as its essentially its own game and is just as good, if not even better than the already excellent base game.

But it's frustratingly difficult though, right? I want a game I can relax with and not rage quit my controller through the tv, lol.

Edited by MrTacoNinja

Just now, flashpool23 said:

I recommend looking into the Banner Saga trilogy. At least the first game if you want to try it but choices do carry over between the 3 games. There's a resource management part though, similar to Oregon Trail, so not sure if you'd like that. 

You lost me at resource management, ha ha!

6 minutes ago, MrTacoNinja said:

You lost me at resource management, ha ha!

Lol. Just in case this changes your mind, the resourceanagemet part is an outside of combat thing. You are traveling in the game, so you have to determine how much food and stuff to bring. You have to have enough food to support your entourage. That part is kind of like Oregon Trail like @flashpool23 said. Food costs money and so do other supplies. So generally stocking up on one thing means going without enough of the other. Situations will present themselves and you'll be like, if only I had enough food I could have... Or I wouldn't have bought all this food if I realized... 

8 minutes ago, Spacey Dweeb said:

Lol. Just in case this changes your mind, the resourceanagemet part is an outside of combat thing. You are traveling in the game, so you have to determine how much food and stuff to bring. You have to have enough food to support your entourage. That part is kind of like Oregon Trail like @flashpool23 said. Food costs money and so do other supplies. So generally stocking up on one thing means going without enough of the other. Situations will present themselves and you'll be like, if only I had enough food I could have... Or I wouldn't have bought all this food if I realized... 

Yeah, see? Fuck that, lol. Definitely NOT my cup of pudding.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MrTacoNinja said:

I've actually researched this game several times over the years and after reading about the constant crashes, horrible loading times and bugs galore I skipped on it.

Wasteland 3 is glitchy mess in current state, but Wasteland 2 DC working fine. Had 0 crashed or bugs in 50 hours so far

I understand. I just wanted to clarify because I thought you might be picturing some kind of weird resource management as part of combat. 

I'll say a few others on my radar but I haven't tried. There's a cool looking Samurai one called Shadow Tactics. Another cyberpunk-like one called Shadow run. Desperados 3 is a cowboy tactical rpg. Empire of Son looks like a really good mafia version of these types of games.

There is a Dark Crystal game that came out semi-recently to mediocre reviews but it is the type of game you've been describing.

I've heard lots of good things about the Divinity series. I'm trying out 2 with my daughter but I haven't played much yet since we haven't been finding the time for it. There is the Disgaea series  as well. I'm trying that out currently but so far it's a bit too anime for my tastes. Depending on what you like, it could fit.

1 minute ago, Spacey Dweeb said:

There's a cool looking Samurai one called Shadow Tactics.

Desperados 3 is a cowboy tactical rpg.

I just recently platinumed Shadow Tactics and have been playing Desperados for the past week and change. Same developers (Mimimi). Though they aren't turned based they are FANTASTIC, although very, very frustrating, tactical stealth games.

You might like Divinity original Sin 1 & 2. Critically acclaimed CRPGs. It's turn based and you can run around on the battlefield during your turn. While both are good game Divinity 2 is GOAT material. If you like these games you can also check out wasteland 3, Torment tides of nemura & if you don't mind going old-school Baldur's gate 1 & 2 (although those don't have pure turn based combat)

Disgaea. AA SRPGs, they're fun but not for everyone.

And to recommend an indie game Fell Seal: Arbiters Mark. Pretty good SRPG, story was kind so-so from what i've played but it's got everything gameplay wise. Turn based, grid system, you can freely choose jobs/classes for your characters etc.

If you have a switch, i'd also recommend Fire emblem three houses. Probably the best classic SRPG in the last few years.

• Like 1