I'm Looking For A Turn-Based Game To Play

MrTacoNinja

2 hours ago, BrandedBerserk said:

Xcom 2 is by far the best one you'll find right now, trust me. I'd also suggest you grab War of the chosen expansion as its essentially its own game and is just as good, if not even better than the already excellent base game. I wouldn't say it punishes the player whatsoever though, it just punishes those who don't learn the games mechanics. There's a learning curve but once you get down the "actual" way to play, you'll get through all of the challenges the game has to offer. 

Absolutely right what a phenomenal game and I agree that once you learn the mechanics it’s much more straight forward.

One of my favourite games from the entire PS4 generation.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrTacoNinja said:

I'm a little picky because I don't want that Final Fantasy-type of turn-based. What I'm specifically looking for is turn-based like Mutant Year Zero, Falling Skies, Rainbow Moon/Skies, etc. Basically the grid-based type. I don't want anything that's far too drawn out, complexing and confusing (i.e. Blackguards 2) nor do I want anything with a mind numbing grind (i.e. God Wars: Future Past) or anything else that's frustratingly difficult and punishes the player (i.e. all the XCOM games). 

If anyone can think of anything please feel free to send it my way.

you might like to give afew games a try mostly Parasite Eve on ps1 and if your looking for something abit like a ff game go for either blue dragon 360 or lost odyssey 360 as they are good games.

Another game I could say that you might like it is not turn based but it is more think of your next move on the fly kind of game that being king's field 4 or 3 they are good games and you have to learn as you plus this series is before demon souls or dark souls as it was made by from soft 

Overland is a fun game with no resource management but it's really short.

Phantom Doctrine has really good combat but the base management is a little tiresome.

Like everyone else I highly recomend XCOM 2 and Banner Saga trilogy.

*edit*

Overland does have some resource management but no base management.

Edited by elpoko
Incorrect info.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MrTacoNinja said:

I'm a little picky because I don't want that Final Fantasy-type of turn-based. What I'm specifically looking for is turn-based like Mutant Year Zero, Falling Skies, Rainbow Moon/Skies, etc. Basically the grid-based type. I don't want anything that's far too drawn out, complexing and confusing (i.e. Blackguards 2) nor do I want anything with a mind numbing grind (i.e. God Wars: Future Past) or anything else that's frustratingly difficult and punishes the player (i.e. all the XCOM games). 

If anyone can think of anything please feel free to send it my way.

As others have mentioned you can't go wrong with XCOM/XCOM2 while true they are challenging they are also very enjoyable on easy/normal without ironman so you can reload the save in case something completely goes wrong and at those difficulties even the worst-case-RNG-scenario won't result in game over or dead squadmates.

The games are very enjoyable when not played balls to the wall Veteran/Ironman but casually on lower difficulties. Give them a go, the term 'XCOM-clone' exists for a reason due to the status of those games. I would recommend picking up XCOM (which is my favourite) to see how you like and it and if you want to invest into XCOM2 which just evolves everything. Of course if you also plan to platinum them... that would complicate matters as you have to go into aforementioned highest difficulties and challenges.

You won't find these games on my profile since I enjoy turn-based/hex-based games most on my PC. But I have hundreds of hours in both.

If you also own a half-decent PC and are into WW2 strategy there is an amazing hex-grid/turn-based game called Panzer Corps 2 that came out this year I've got 450 hours into it, 2nd and 3rd DLC are fantastic and it is incredibly varied and replayable. No grind, nothing extremely complex (i.e. Hearts of Iron) and so much fun.

For those that like a fusion of fantasy and technology, a decent amount of great reading, tranquil music, and super easy turn based gameplay: look no further then Torment Tides of Numeneria. There are a few fps issues on base ps4 and some of the fights drag on because the enemy can take forever to finish their turn but I think the ambiance more than makes up for it.

I'm about 50% done with Valkyria Chronicles and I'm quite enjoying it. But I'm also wondering which turned based game I could enjoy next.

A few that caught my eye:

1. Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire. I heard this has faster loading on ps5 and an optional turn based mode. First game is pseudo turned based, has a light challenge, fleshed out lore, sweeping score, engaging reading, and a contains a decent amount of roleplay options too.

2. Invisible Inc. Looks like you control a group of spies and the art design looks like it came straight out if a picture book. 

3. Empire of Sin. Set in the early 20th century US, you play a group of mobster vying for control. Some of the female characters looks interesting and I'm interested in finding out how their role plays out too.

4. Achtung Cthulu. Supernatural super soldiers and one of the characters might be voiced by Witcher's Vesemir. I want to find out more on this one too.

4 hours ago, Spacey Dweeb said:

Another cyberpunk-like one called Shadow run.

I can't find this. Where is it?

2 hours ago, xZoneHunter said:

Divinity 2 is GOAT material

What does that even mean, "GOAT material"?

Edited by MrTacoNinja

22 minutes ago, ZealousZealot said:

3. Empire of Sin. Set in the early 20th century US, you play a group of mobster vying for control. Some of the female characters looks interesting and I'm interested in finding out how their role plays out too.

Oh... don't. Just don't. It's a mess beyond words.

Check out some reviews such as ACG or Worthabuy I was looking out for the game until I saw what a dumpster fire it is.

12 minutes ago, Valkirye22 said:

Check out some reviews such as ACG or Worthabuy I was looking out for the game until I saw what a dumpster fire it is.

I spent 30 minutes researching this game. So disappointed because it looked awesome as hell and directly up my alley! But from all I've read and reviews I've watched... damn. Just damn. What a shame. Is it too much to ask of developers nowadays for a game that isn't a goddamn disaster?

17 minutes ago, Valkirye22 said:

Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to take a better look.

Othercide was another turn based game that stuck out. Leading a group of badass warrior nuns seems like fun.

If you have a switch i can recommend Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. Great story, lots of Lategame Content. And the gameplay concept seems to come from a game named shiren the wanderer (Have never played this mayself)

If you are more into Playstation Chocobos Mystery DUngeon seems to be alike that but i also never played that myself

Other than That maybe the COstume Quest Games or the SOuth Park games could be something. But both only are in the combat Grid based

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Valkirye22 said:

Give them a go, the term 'XCOM-clone' exists for a reason due to the status of those games.

Not to get too picky here, but XCOM and XCOM2 are themselves "XCOM-clones".

It was the original X-COM from 1994 that created the term (and honestly was better than the two recent games, IMHO).

5 hours ago, MrTacoNinja said:

The NA version glitched or something?

I haven't been able to find anything about the NA version being glitched (and it would be kind of weird since the EU version is fine). I've been tempted to pick it up myself; played it on PC and enjoyed it.

Someone mentioned Shadowrun, but that's PC-only AFAIK.

Edited by cckerberos

Xcom isn't that difficult. The challenge comes from the higher difficulties and Ironman mode, so you can play on the lowest or normal difficulty and get through the game without frustration. Other have already suggested The Banner Saga, so some different suggestions:

Children of the Zodiarcs

Fellseal: Arbiter's Mark

Langrisser

Star Renegade (Not out yet on PS4)

Warborn

Wintermoor Tactics Club 

Chroma Squad

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MrTacoNinja said:

I just recently platinumed Shadow Tactics and have been playing Desperados for the past week and change. Same developers (Mimimi). Though they aren't turned based they are FANTASTIC, although very, very frustrating, tactical stealth games.

Desperados came to mind as I was reading this thread but I see you are already playing them. I haven't played them since the original releases on PC but loved them back then. Do they translate onto console ok?

6 hours ago, cckerberos said:

I haven't been able to find anything about the NA version being glitched (and it would be kind of weird since the EU version is fine). I've been tempted to pick it up myself; played it on PC and enjoyed it.

Someone mentioned Shadowrun, but that's PC-only AFAIK.

If, while on this site, you click on the NA version there seems to be several trophies at 0% compared to the EU version. Maybe it's not glitched but it has me nervous to try that version. If I decide to go with that game I'll just stick with the EU version for now to be safe.

2 hours ago, gruffiiti said:

Desperados came to mind as I was reading this thread but I see you are already playing them. I haven't played them since the original releases on PC but loved them back then. Do they translate onto console ok?

I've never played them on PC (I've always been a console player) but on the PS4 the controls seems fine. It does take a bit of getting used to but once you do it's like second nature.

6 hours ago, LastMinuteSavior said:

This thread is surprisingly comical.

Guy asks for opinions / Proceeds to trash everyone's sugestions 1f602.png

I suggest, dear sir, that you start on page 1 and read through everything again. Read slowly and carefully because clearly you missed several of my posts where I talked positively of a game and/or showed a piqued interestI'm not trashing anyone's suggestions. I'm simply stating my opinion on the suggested game. I value people's suggestions and I'm very thankful that there are so many helpful people on this site willing to take time out from what they're doing to help... unlike yourself who apparently just wants to talk shit and offer nothing of importance. Kicks rocks dude if all you're going to do is chime in with irrelevant comments.