this game made me physically nauseous and sick....

rockstarjazz

i played the demo just now upon checking out the game, having loved doom 3 from way back when.

the game plays too fast for me. 5 mins in i felt exhausted and nauseous, i had to stop and step away from the ps4. this is the first time a videogame has ever made me feel this way.

did anyone else experience similar issues? is there a way to slow down the game?

i'm 38 so maybe i am getting old. the game gives me a stomach ache thinking about it. i'm used to the player running slower like with resident evil or the last of us.

i am considering maybe playing doom3 again instead for the trophies, i remember that wasnt as fast and you're able to walk in that, but i am worried about experiencing this sickness again

Edited by rockstarjazz
  • Like 1

Doom 2016 is a fast paced shooter, there's no way to slow it down, but you can change the way the gun is positioned, instead of being on the right, you can put it in the middle of the screen. Maybe try that ? It might help since you'll have a "focus point" in the middle of the screen.

Few years back I had the same issue with Resident evil 6, the camera used to make me dizzy, years later I went back on RE6, and didn't experienced any problem at all.

Doom 3 is way more slow than any recent games so I don't think you'll end up sick again by playing this one.

• Like 1

You're suffering from FOV Syndrome, which is caused by the low Field of View in this game. Try what @Ulfarund suggested and adjust the gun position to see that helps but it may well be that you have to write off this game and play something else, since there's no way adjust the FOV :(. I've experienced this problem approx 4 times over the years and it's not pleasant but there's very little you can do about it on games consoles since we have far fewer graphics options compared to the PC.

• Like 1

I'm 34 and I remember I felt the same way when I played Perfect Dark for N64. FPS violence was new then. I think Goldeneye was the only other FPS I'd played at that point, and that was slower in pace. There weren't many FPS' back then: Doom, Dark Forces -- maybe a few more. Perhaps it's your body's way of telling you our eyes aren't meant to process violence that fast. Anyway, hope you feel better!

4 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

You're suffering from FOV Syndrome, which is caused by the low Field of View in this game. Try what @Ulfarund suggested and adjust the gun position to see that helps but it may well be that you have to write off this game and play something else, since there's no way adjust the FOV :(. I've experienced this problem approx 4 times over the years and it's not pleasant but there's very little you can do about it on games consoles since we have far fewer graphics options compared to the PC.

Lol that sounds more likely than my explanation.

I felt this somewhat, more so in games like RE7 (with and without VR) and control. I had to stop playing control within the first 5 minutes because the camera gave me motion sickness even after trying to change the settings.

Edited by den-69