dmland12's Quest for 1000 Ultra Rares (COMPLETED!)

dmland12

Damn, that's a crazy challenge, i can feel the pain just by looking at your selection of games lol but you already have 869, so it should be a walk in the park for you

Good luck with this challenge, i'll keep lurking here to see your progress, and happy new year! 

• Like 1

Good luck!  I'll follow along on your progress!  I just started trophy hunting in May of this year and I don't currently have too many ultra rares, but it's something I'm interested in collecting!  Most of the ones I currently have are from Super Meat Boy, Surgeon Simulator and various sports games!  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BB-BakkerJ said:

Nice goal!

I’ll try to get to 800 myself this year. The problem is there are very few UR games that interest me. Should be doable though.

Good luck!

Thanks.  Good luck getting to 800.  I think you'll get there.

5 hours ago, Phantochi said:

Damn, that's a crazy challenge, i can feel the pain just by looking at your selection of games lol but you already have 869, so it should be a walk in the park for you

Good luck with this challenge, i'll keep lurking here to see your progress, and happy new year! 

Thanks.  I'm not expecting to finish everything listed here of course!  But, it's what I've already got started and on my backlog.

5 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Well good luck with that 1f601.png

Do you have a plan for how many UR plats you would like?

Thanks. I have 64 UR plats currently.  I would eventually like to get to 100.  That's a nice round number, but it's also too far away at the moment to really think about!

5 hours ago, FFATMA said:

Good luck!  I'll follow along on your progress!  I just started trophy hunting in May of this year and I don't currently have too many ultra rares, but it's something I'm interested in collecting!  Most of the ones I currently have are from Super Meat Boy, Surgeon Simulator and various sports games!  

Thanks.  Everyone's got to get started from the same place.  I remember when 1000 UR seemed like some insane number I'd never reach.

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose it's past time for an update.

I decided to start with Outward, an RPG with survival elements.  I had played this game a little before, but hadn't really put much time into it and decided to start a new game which I just finished last night.  Outward seemed like it would be a good place to start: potentially time consuming, but not overly difficult and has a decent number of UR trophies.

I'll need two more playthroughs to get the plat, but I don't see any real roadblocks other than time.  And even that shouldn't be too bad, since the game doesn't have a leveling system.  It's all about the gear and paying for upgrades/skills.  I'll have some nice gear available from my previous game once I can get to it and I know what enemies drop more expensive items now so money shouldn't be much of a bottleneck for long.

Overall, I'm enjoying the game.  It's rough around the edges for sure and has an old school feel to it, but it's grown on me.  The combat system has enough options and is interesting enough that I'm looking forward to trying new skills and a different build in new game+.

+4 Ultra Rares from Outward

-2 from rarity fluctuations in previously earned trophies

871 UR at the moment (+2 from the start)

Edited by dmland12
  • Like 2

That's quite an extreme challenge (and not because of the target, but because of the games that you listed). 

Getting 1000 UR is probably easier than some think, if you just look for the easy UR (while, not my focus, I have tons of those..).. But your list does have a lot of heavy weights in there!! 

Good luck! 

I personally will just go with the flow as usually (and maybe clean up a bit more and get to 800 UR, since it's not even that far from where I'm and I know that I have several easy UR in my already started games...). 

• Like 1

I mentioned this in the easy ultra rare thread but you may want to check out a fighting game called Battlefantasia if you have a PS3. The game has an insane 42 URs. The vast majority of those are pretty easy even if you’re not very good at fighting games. I would guess that the large number of URs comes from the fact that the game was on PS+ at one point. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

That's quite an extreme challenge (and not because of the target, but because of the games that you listed). 

Getting 1000 UR is probably easier than some think, if you just look for the easy UR (while, not my focus, I have tons of those..).. But your list does have a lot of heavy weights in there!! 

Good luck! 

I personally will just go with the flow as usually (and maybe clean up a bit more and get to 800 UR, since it's not even that far from where I'm and I know that I have several easy UR in my already started games...). 

Thanks.  It's true that some UR are easier than others for sure.  Still, there's usually something driving the rarity down even if it doesn't seem too difficult for most people that go after them.  In the end I don't really worry too much about whether it's supposed to be an easier one or not and just jump in if it looks interesting and see what I've gotten myself into, lol.

14 hours ago, postofficebuddy said:

I mentioned this in the easy ultra rare thread but you may want to check out a fighting game called Battlefantasia if you have a PS3. The game has an insane 42 URs. The vast majority of those are pretty easy even if you’re not very good at fighting games. I would guess that the large number of URs comes from the fact that the game was on PS+ at one point. 

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't have a PS3 or Vita.  I'll probably get a PS5 around the end of the year, so I'll be trying to get to 1000 on PS4.

22 hours ago, dmland12 said:

Thanks.  It's true that some UR are easier than others for sure.  Still, there's usually something driving the rarity down even if it doesn't seem too difficult for most people that go after them.  In the end I don't really worry too much about whether it's supposed to be an easier one or not and just jump in if it looks interesting and see what I've gotten myself into, lol.

I understand you, and I somewhat do the same, although I never make the Platinum a target in said games... (Street Fighter, Injustice, Blazblue among others).

I was just surprised that you made those extremely hard plats the actual targets in your journey to 1000 UR!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

I understand you, and I somewhat do the same, although I never make the Platinum a target in said games... (Street Fighter, Injustice, Blazblue among others).

I was just surprised that you made those extremely hard plats the actual targets in your journey to 1000 UR!

Yeah that makes sense.  I'm by no means sure I'll be able to get some of the harder plats here.  I'd bet against getting the Necrodancer plat for example, probably ever, but I would like to see how much progress I can make in the game, since I haven't played it that much and there's probably more I can do there.

But anyway, I won't need to 100% everything to get there, so I should be able to find enough somewhere.  I'm sure I'll buy some other games or get something interesting on PS+ this year too.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

It's the end of the month and I should really update.  

As expected, I didn't have any trouble finishing up the Outward plat.  But, after that I've hit something of a wall.  I decided to take a bit of a break and play some games I've already completed, like No Man's Sky, Minecraft, and The Long Dark.

I've also been trying to make progress at Amplitude.  It's a very fun game, but I'm also finding it to be very challenging.  It's a music/rhythm game and on the harder difficulties there are a lot of notes to hit very quickly.  I think the thing that's slowed me down the most is that I get worse at it after playing it for too long in one session, so I've been playing it some and then playing something else when I start to lose the rhythm and start making too many mistakes.  I've been slowly getting better like this and it seems possible for me to do, but it's hard to predict how long it'll take with the uneven progress I've seen so far and the overall difficulty of the game.  I'll have to see how it goes though, it's possible I might end up pausing it and trying again later.

I also decided to try to finish up PC Building Simulator sometime soon.  It's more grindy than anything, which seems like a good thing to pair with the twitchy quick and accurate button mashing that's needed in Amplitude. 

January highlights:

Outward

1L4bdb33.png 

:platinum: Platinum Trophy (1.45%) :platinum:

Get all Trophies.

Amplitude

14Lbd2cb1.png

:silver: Super FreQ Out (3.85%) :silver:

Complete a song in FreQ mode on Super difficulty.

Since last update:

+10 UR from Outward

+1 UR from Amplitude

+2 from rarity fluctuations in previously earned trophies

884 UR at the moment (+13 from last update)

• Like 1

Just now, dieselmanchild said:

That’s an awesome goal, and you already have a hell of an impressive collection of URs! Nice job man.

Just out of curiosity, how do you generally go about finding and selecting games with lots of UR trophies? What is your process like?

Thanks.  I get a lot of games from PSN sales.  When my backlog isn't too large I'll usually go through all of the games that are on sale and look at their trophy lists, if it's an ultra rare plat (or very rare) and it looks interesting enough, I'll usually take the plunge.  It's been working out well.  I've found a lot of interesting stuff that way.

Also, PS+ has been a good source over the years.  I know there's always a lot of complaining about PS+ games, but I've generally found good stuff that way too.

20 hours ago, dmland12 said:

Thanks.  I get a lot of games from PSN sales.  When my backlog isn't too large I'll usually go through all of the games that are on sale and look at their trophy lists, if it's an ultra rare plat (or very rare) and it looks interesting enough, I'll usually take the plunge.  It's been working out well.  I've found a lot of interesting stuff that way.

Also, PS+ has been a good source over the years.  I know there's always a lot of complaining about PS+ games, but I've generally found good stuff that way too.

That’s a good strategy, Thanks for the insight. ?

I’ve been growing increasingly interested in the UR hunters on this site recently and how they go about the hunt, so it’s always interesting to hear from one of you directly. Since I started trophy hunting I’ve mostly been focused on building up my profile and experiencing a lot of the big titles I missed out on, but once I hit my goal of 200 plats & 10k trophies, I may shift my focus towards collecting more URs and difficult games. It certainly looks like a lot of fun! 

Edited by dieselmanchild
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Wow, it's been a while since I updated this.

I kind of lost some interest in trophies in February and most of March, mostly playing stuff that I already had all the trophies in (No Man's Sky and The Long Dark mostly).  I guess I probably needed the break.  I did make some progress in Amplitude during this time, eventually picking up two tough trophies in March, but still need one more for the platinum.  PC Building Simulator had a patch released in late March, which added a lot more components etc.   That spurred me to hurry up and finish it up on the version I had before I accidentally installed the patch and probably made the grind longer than it already was.

In April, I was mostly playing Final Fantasy VII Remake, which was just recently one of the PS Plus games (March I think?).  No ultra rares there, but I think it did get me more in the mood to pay more attention to trophies again.  I really enjoyed the game.

More recently I've been on a bit of a UR tear.   In May, I started and completed A Hole New World (16 UR), Stranded Deep (13 UR), and Sonic Mania (6 UR).  Nothing there that's super hard, but it's nice to get back into the swing of things.  Overall, some enjoyable games too, although A Hole New World and Stranded Deep are a little rough on the edges.

I also recently have been playing Tetris Effect, which is probably the most polished and well-presented Tetris game ever.  That's going to be a tough one to platinum.  I'll just try to do what I can.  And I also just started Star Wars: Squadrons which was on PS+ this month.  I played the heck out of the old X-wing and Tie Fighter games years ago, so I was pretty happy to see that game show up as one of the freebies (also, it's got a lot of UR too ?).

Amplitude is still on my back, although at this point, I basically feel like I have enough skill at the game to finish it off, but so far I just haven't gotten a good run (that I didn't choke away).  Feels like sooner or later though it'll happen if I keep trying.

March-May Highlights:

Amplitude

17L4661a8.png

:gold: Closure (1.90%) :gold:

Complete all songs on Super difficulty.

PC Building Simulator

1L039150.png

:platinum: Master Builder (2.92%) :platinum:

Collect all Trophies

A Hole New World

1Lb2d57f.png

:platinum: THE POTION MASTER (1.53%) :platinum:

Unlock all trophies

Stranded Deep

1L375034.png

:platinum: Stay Alive! (2.20%) :platinum:

Collected all trophies

I will try not to go 4+ months again without an update. ;)

Since last update:

+2 UR from Amplitude

+8 UR from PC Building Simulator

+16 UR from A Hole New World

+13 UR from Stranded Deep

+6 UR from Sonic Mania

+9 from rarity fluctuations in previously earned trophies

938 UR at the moment (+54 from last update)

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I didn't really expect to spend this much time on Tetris Effect this week, but I got the SS Rank on two of the last four modes I needed Saturday, and so I just needed to get the SS and Sprint and Ultra.  You know, the hardest ones, lol.  Well, for whatever reason, I ended up making a major push for them.  I got the SS on Sprint two days ago and just barely managed to get the SS on Ultra just shortly before writing this post.  I still need to do some cleanup and do the time-wasting million rotations (only 750k more to go!) to get the platinum, but I do have this now:

Tetris Effect

42Lbffb5a.png

:gold: Seriously? Seriously. (0.71%) :gold:

Earn SS Rank everywhere possible.

I also finished up Star Wars: Squadrons before I fell into Tetris Effect.  Overall, I quite enjoyed the game.  I was a big fan of the old X-wing and Tie Fighter computer games from the 90's and this was clearly trying to reboot something like that (with multiplayer!).  I really did enjoy the multiplayer, but at the same time I was really glad when I finally finished it up.  There's just something about playing a lot of kill-or-be-killed multiplayer that stresses me out.  More than single player games at least.  I did fine (K/D around 1.8 in dogfights) and usually was in the top or second spot on my team of randoms so I probably caused more stress than I received, but still!  The single player stuff didn't really take that much time in comparison.  Most of the missions weren't too bad even on the hardest difficult except for a couple at the end and probably the first one.  Personally, I hope they make more games like this, although I am somewhat played out on it at the moment.

Star Wars: Squadrons

1L8ba431.png

:platinum: Platinum Pilot (0.80%) :platinum:

Earned every Trophy in STAR WARS™: Squadrons.

Overall, I'm getting quite close to my goal and there's still about half of the year left.  Could be I'll need to start thinking about new goals.  I'll probably slow down a bit and play a game or two without UR next, but we'll see.

Since last update:

+8 UR from Star Wars: Squadrons

+1 UR from Tetris Effect

+3 UR from rarity fluctuations in previously earned trophies

978 UR at the moment (+12 from last update)

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...