Top Hat Studios issues statement saying they will not censor Sense - 不祥的预感: A Cyberpunk Ghost Story

On 1/1/2021 at 9:26 PM, Dr_Mayus said:

Has anyone ever wondered if all these small time devs create this controversy to rack up sales?

Like I never heard of this company or game but supposedly they are big enough to receive death threats?

I think the Internet needs to stop pretending these type of things are news because it is all part of the game. Just like Paris Hilton was so "outraged" that her sex tape leaked since it led to her having a very profitable career.

Case in point :P

Spot on. It's bollocks. I don't use Twitter so don't know the correct terminology but if you scroll through the 'conversation' under that post, no one can find any incidences where anyone has called for the game to be censored. Using the 'culture war' to boost one's career is par for the course in certain sectors nowadays. 

On 5.01.2021 at 3:11 AM, Eraezr said:

How long was the playthrough for you?

10 Hours to get "beat the game once" achievment. However unlocked NG+ mode and something called "Yatsuya?" mode. Will soon start NG+ or Yatsuya which is prequel to story? idk.

Edited by Beliar4

On 1/17/2021 at 10:45 AM, Beliar4 said:

10 Hours to get "beat the game once" achievment. However unlocked NG+ mode and something called "Yatsuya?" mode. Will soon start NG+ or Yatsuya which is prequel to story? idk.

Oh nice, so there's post-completion content.

• 3 weeks later...

I thank all those taking part in the thread as doing so put it on my radar. Looks like a Cyberpunk I'd actually get though there are a few things that make me think.

When it comes to the matter of "are they making it up?". I don't really see it as mattering if that were the case or not. Getting that positive energy out there that not censoring == more sales is good. Enough out there will mean when the mob does go after X, they might think that they should just tell them no. Now granted you can say that it is unfairly harming the reputation of the Reseteras, "SJWs", so forth. No worries, their rep is already mud so no harm.

Now as for the designs... see, there is legitimate issues. I think such designs can take away from the seriousness of a work. That isn't to say big breasts, revealing clothing, so forth is bad and should never exist in something, but they can distract. Granted, people seem to learn to not be bothered by Kaine (Nier), Quiet (MGSV), so forth so maybe I see too big an issue in it. I also see the Cyberpunk defence from the dev which... I guess can paper over it, I suppose. Like if you wanted your whole cast to be naked and it'd be strange if based on the modern day, but it'd all be very normal if it was based on Greek mythology. 

Side note... I get the yellow detective coat is perhaps a sort of "prisoners in Black and White stripes" type thing going back to I think Dick Tracy. I get that purple hair on Asian women is a thing to show they're not fully "by the book" shall we say... but the design of this woman in this game looks like a stacked and revealing version of the main character of Tokyo-Dark remembrance. Images below. 

H2x1_NSwitchDS_SenseACyberpunkGhostStory

Sz15IX8.png

1 hour ago, Rozalia1 said:

I thank all those taking part in the thread as doing so put it on my radar. Looks like a Cyberpunk I'd actually get though there are a few things that make me think.

When it comes to the matter of "are they making it up?". I don't really see it as mattering if that were the case or not. Getting that positive energy out there that not censoring == more sales is good. Enough out there will mean when the mob does go after X, they might think that they should just tell them no. Now granted you can say that it is unfairly harming the reputation of the Reseteras, "SJWs", so forth. No worries, their rep is already mud so no harm.

Now as for the designs... see, there is legitimate issues. I think such designs can take away from the seriousness of a work. That isn't to say big breasts, revealing clothing, so forth is bad and should never exist in something, but they can distract. Granted, people seem to learn to not be bothered by Kaine (Nier), Quiet (MGSV), so forth so maybe I see too big an issue in it. I also see the Cyberpunk defence from the dev which... I guess can paper over it, I suppose. Like if you wanted your whole cast to be naked and it'd be strange if based on the modern day, but it'd all be very normal if it was based on Greek mythology. 

Side note... I get the yellow detective coat is perhaps a sort of "prisoners in Black and White stripes" type thing going back to I think Dick Tracy. I get that purple hair on Asian women is a thing to show they're not fully "by the book" shall we say... but the design of this woman in this game looks like a stacked and revealing version of the main character of Tokyo-Dark remembrance. Images below. 

Reveal hidden contents

H2x1_NSwitchDS_SenseACyberpunkGhostStory

Sz15IX8.png

The woman behind her makes me think of Chun-Li from 'Street Fighter'.

On 03/02/2021 at 8:16 AM, Eraezr said:

The woman behind her makes me think of Chun-Li from 'Street Fighter'.

Certainly in the head area as her full body design seems to be heavily different but is less eyebrow raising shall we say. When it comes to their main character and Tokyo Dark it's a bit more as both games sort of deal in the same sort of matter shall we say (going by the tiny amount I see of this game) and play alike as far as I know. As I said though, might be nothing at all. Yellow detective coat and Asian woman purple hair are both tropes. 

On 07/01/2021 at 11:44 PM, StewartBros said:

Never heard of the company, never heard of the game, and some big-boobed women and some controversy won't make me sit up and pay attention to said company or said game.

??????

Some controversy - I might add - that no one was in any way aware of until said company 'made their stand' against it.

Top Hat Studios: The Jussie Smollett of Game Developers.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, YonahFuriae said:

I've noticed the age rating is 18 on switch and 12 on PSN. Without any spoiler -yes or no is enough- did they censor anything, or they're the exact same copies?

As far as social media has told me, they're similar content. It's 'M' rated in my region which sounds about right, relative to the Switch.

2 hours ago, YonahFuriae said:

Thanks for the answer! Similar content means they actually changed anything? They should be exactly the same, right?

Should be, was a part of the company's statement before the release. Odd though if there is a difference. I don't think Nintendo can up the rating on something so perhaps the first people who rated it for the Switch rated it high, while the second rating people didn't think it warranted it.

I've platinumed it and can report that you can obtain all the files easily enough without a guide, though I've written one for those people who if they miss something want something to reference. The ghost pictures are a bit harder as they're invisible interactables and sometimes covered up with other interactables but not too bad. Costumes are easy outside the one in the final boss area which requires you to examine 5 points in a certain order (supposed to reference some Chinese tale or something which most people aren't going to know).

Also, you know I said this game makes me think Tokyo Dark? Starts on a subway car... just like Tokyo Dark. I mean I get it. You say you are inspired by the classics and that means you're cool, say you're inspired by a recent game and people think you're weird, that sort of thing. Not that the devs are lying when they say they are Clock Tower (game play) and Fatal Frame (setting/feel. Where everything is dead, rotten, and has been for some time) inspired.

I'm not going to spoil anything but what I will say is that it's clear the Cyberpunk and the let's say designs of quite a wide array of NPCs (a lot of effort for models you see once) is crafty marketing.

As for how the game runs... the animations on your walking/running don't seem to flow right but a minor issue once you start ignoring it. We are on patch 1.1 yet the game's title screen says it is 1.2. The game lists up on the top left how many Jade Bangles you have but it sometimes glitches (losing bangles and loading your game) seems to trigger it but it never takes bangles off you as a result of this error (in fact sometimes it'll glitch positively and not take a bangle off you on a hit), and quitting the game and loading it back up fixes the error. In terms of crashes, the game only crashed if I swapped costumes in a quick enough succession.

In terms of how long you're looking at... 12 hours is what I'd say, half of that being your first playthrough and then the other 6 hours being the two extra playthroughs. On the matter of extra playthroughs, the one extra was fine but 2 was excessive. What NG++ has as extra should have been in NG+. Of course I've played titles such as White Day which requires you to complete it 20ish more times after completing it (there are short cuts but still) so perhaps this ain't that bad.

• Like 2

On 02/01/2021 at 11:47 PM, NathanielJohn said:

After looking through a few dozen of those "evidence" tweets, I haven't seen a single death threat yet. A bunch of abhorrent douches throwing around "tranny" as a slur, sure, but I'm not seeing death threats.

Some of the "offending" tweets included are "This is just unbelievable -- what is WRONG with you Nintendo?" and "Seriously so much wrong! These oversexualized pictures look like kids. Who vetted this?"

I get that people are douches and internet discourse around video games needs to change, but this is a far cry from when people in games *actually* receive death threats (e.g., Laura Bailey not long ago), and it seems really disingenuous to conflate the two.

Why would you only read a few of the examples then make an argument based on there being none? Look harder, they are there.

Also to clarify, there is no 'erotica', it is not an 'erotic' game. It is a game with big breasted women and a couple of unlockable skimpy outfits which are no worse than any other Japanese game. There are no hentai scenes or anything sexual of the sort. There is however a Count Dankula cameo that I'm sure people would be complaining about more if they knew it was there.

I am quite tired of this idea that big boobs cause back pain though.

Edited by WishingLemon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AllanGronkjaer said:

people saw the name cyberpunk and startet trash the game thats almost 100 % sure , its that lynchmob that was out after cdprojeckt red

Yes, I’m sure....

...and I bet people only started trashing Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing because they saw the word ‘Rigs’ and they don’t like Oil Companies...

• Like 1