PS4 Pro or PS5?

LoveInHell

I need some advice. I have a regular PS4 with a backlog of about 300-350 games. I have a 4K HDR tv and since I own a lot of games that support 4K and HDR, it feels like I’m missing out on the best quality and overall a better gaming experience. I don’t want to play them on a regular PS4 either. The plan was to play them on the PS5 cause of better quality but...

I’ve read multiple forum posts about several PS4 games not running smoothly on the PS5. One would crash, the other doesn’t load graphics properly. Etc.

The PS4 Pro costs about the same as a PS5 and on top of that I would love to get a PS5 at the end of 2021 or somewhere in 2022. I was going to use the PS5 for all my PS4 games too.

I have a great uncertainty because I don’t exactly know which games will work perfectly how they should and which ones wont on the PS5. Its obvious by now that Sony’s testing wasn’t done properly.

To me, having a regular PS4, Pro AND PS5 is far too much. I still use my PS3 too, I’d like to have max. 3 consoles on my desk. Its either PS4 Pro, get rid of the regular, or get the PS5.

I have no idea what to do.

Edit: I ended up buying a Pro. I decided to keep playing PS4 games on PS4 and use the PS5 for PS5 games only. I’ve also decided this because there is no rush to get a PS5 and its impossible to get one for who knows how long. Thank you for all the advice~

Edited by LoveInHell
  • Like 3

I mean, a PS5 is going to last you for next gen games alongside your backlog, whereas with a PS4 Pro, you're buying a rapidly outdated console. From what I've read it seems like most PS4 games work fine, but for the few that don't, you could always boot your regular PS4 back up.

Seems to me like the PS5 is the better long term investment, although a PS4 Pro might do you good for the next year or two.

• Like 3

I'd get a PS5 over a PS4 Pro any day of the week.

Chances are that some PS4 games will get optimised patches this year, making them run better or less prone to crashing on the PS5. And you'd get the added bonus of the free upgrades too, depending on the games in your backlog that are eligible.

• Like 3

I’m afraid that games that support 4K and HDR that work perfectly on the PS4, wont work as smooth on the PS5 and I don’t want to play them on a regular PS4, lol.

This is the list I worry about (the ones with a dot are the ones that I own) All of these games, I want to play on their best quality. Is it a guarantee that they will update these games if they perform bad on the PS5?

• AC3 - 4K HDR
  • AC Odyssey - 4K HDR
  • AC Origins - 4K HDR
  • AC Rogue Remastered - 4K

AC Syndicate - 4K

• AC Ezio Collection - 4K

Blair Witch - 4K

Borderlands 3 - 4K HDR

• Bulletstorm Full Clip - 4K
  • Burnout Paradise Remastered - 4K

Days Gone - 4K HDR

• Death Stranding 4K HDR
  • Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - 4K HDR
  • Devil May Cry 5 - 4K HDR
  • Far Cry New Dawn - 4K HDR
  • Get Even - 4K
  • Greedfall - 4K HDR
  • InFamous Second Son - 4K HDR
  • InFamous First Light - 4K HDR
  • Killing Floor 2 - 4K

L.A. Noire - 4K HDR

• Mass Effect Andromeda - 4K HDR
  • Metro Exodus - 4K HDR
  • MediEvil - 4K
  • Shadow of Mordor - 4K
  • Shadow of War - HDR
  • Monster Hunter World - 4K HDR
  • Nioh - 4K
  • Onrush - 4K
  • RDR2 - 4K HDR
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider - 4K
  • Shadow of the Colossus - 4K HDR

Shadow of the Tomb Raider - HDR

Spider-Man - 4K HDR

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - 4K

Tetris Effect - 4K HDR

The Last Guardian - 4K HDR

The Outer Worlds - 4K

The Surge - 4K HDR

The Surge 2 - 4K

• The Witcher 3 - 4K HDR
  • Uncharted 4 - 4K HDR
  • Uncharted The Lost Legacy - 4K HDR

Burly Men At Sea - 4K

• Concrete Genie - 4K

Control - 4K

Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy - 4K HDR

• Darksiders 3 - 4K HDR
  • Dishonored 2 - 4K
  • Dishonored 3 - 4K
  • Firewatch - 4K HDR
  • Hatsune Miku: Project Diva X - 4K

Hitman 2 - 4K HDR

• Just Cause 4 - 4K HDR
  • Kingdom Hearts (all) - 4K
  • Kingdom Hearts 3 - 4K HDR
  • Mafia 3 - 4K

Nioh 2 - 4K HDR

Resident Evil 3 - 4K HDR

• Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - 4K
  • Sonic Mania - 4K
  • Spyro Trilogy - 4K
  • Man of Medan - 4K

The Last of Us 2 - 4K

Wolfenstein: Young Blood - 4K

Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled - HDR

Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice - HDR

• Here They Lie - HDR

Hitman: The Complete First Season - HDR

• Homefront: The Revolution - HDR

Star Wars Battlefront 2 - HDR

• Like 3

If you can get a PS5, there's no reason to get a PS4 Pro. It plays PS4 games, most of them better than the PS4, and you're set for the entire next generation of games. Also, the pro isn't really much of an upgrade over the original PS4. I got one and haven't noticed much difference outside of some slightly faster load times on some games.

• Like 2

That’s 4 people voting for a PS5. I guessss I’ll have to endure this regular PS4 a little longer then. Maybe I’m too impatient, lol. I have so many games I want to play and I can’t (more don’t want to) because I necessarily want the best quality. ^-^

• Like 1

Your one main complaint is that some games don't run properly on PS5 but in order to get a PS5 you need to wait, so best course of action is to play known games to have issues on PS5 on your current PS4. Bing bang boom you're ready for PS5. Encounter any further games with issues on your new PS5? You still have a PS4.

• Like 1

of course PS5, the Pro is literally just a PS4 with more 2x GPU power for a little higher res, PS5 is a monumental leap in hardware from that and it's 99% BC, there are very few games that have very minor glitches and less than 10 games that have bigger problems out of 4000 games, would you limit your experience for 3950 games because 50/4000 have some missing graphical effects? PS5 locks almost everything to 60 and highest dynamic res with loading times as if you had an ssd installed, many of those PS4 games have free updates or versions for PS5 already, this is not a question

• Like 3

I'd probably save the money for a PS5. Keep in mind that PS4 Pro doesn't even output 4K resolution. I have a PS4 Pro and it doesn't perform that well in most games and as someone said it gets pretty loud at times.

If you have space, just keep your old console as a backup so you won't have to worry about the compatibility. The PS5 backwards compatibility seems very iffy (based on Sony's own marketing and some things I've read around the internet).

On 1/3/2021 at 2:04 PM, Eyjabria said:

I'd probably save the money for a PS5. Keep in mind that PS4 Pro doesn't even output 4K resolution. I have a PS4 Pro and it doesn't perform that well in most games and as someone said it gets pretty loud at times.

If you have space, just keep your old console as a backup so you won't have to worry about the compatibility. The PS5 backwards compatibility seems very iffy (based on Sony's own marketing and some things I've read around the internet).

PS4 Pro does output in 4K resolution, that's part of why it was made, for 4K TVs support

Edited by EDGES

Well if you are thinking about getting the best quality then buy a PC. Consoles were almost never about the best graphics but they still have a purpose. Upgrading from PS4 to PS4 Pro won't be a big difference (if your old unit gets destroyed - ok, buy a PS4 Pro then, that would be a good idea, but selling the old one to get a Pro has no sense now).

You said you still play on PS3, so you sound like you don't really care about visuals - the gameplay matters, and that's great and how people should think (we still get a crap load of games that look great, but ain't really worth the time to play them) so buy a PS5 (which will let you play newer games you couldn't on PS4 Pro). 

From what you wrote you sound like someone who just wants a new toy, who knows it's not a smart idea (becouse the gains are not worth the price) and is looking for someone to tell you it's not smart :P Be patient, play on the console you have and buy a new one later on, when all the bullshit stops (both scalpers and PS4 games working badly on PS5).

On 1/3/2021 at 2:12 PM, Eyjabria said:

No, it is upscaled to 4K, not real native 4K.

in some games yeah, but a lot of games range from using techniques like checkerboard 4k, temporal injection 4k, dynamic 4k up to native 4k, and some are native 4k, the console OS UI is native 4k at all times, you have no idea what you're talking about

Edited by EDGES
  • Like 1

On 2021-01-02 at 2:03 AM, LoveInHell said:

I’m afraid that games that support 4K and HDR that work perfectly on the PS4, wont work as smooth on the PS5 and I don’t want to play them on a regular PS4, lol.

why not? 

I don’t know about the whole list, but Days Gone runs better than ever on ps5 

isn't the ps4 pro just as much as a ps5? from what I've seen, if that's the case then its definitely got to be the ps5, you are kind of limiting yourself in the future if u get a pro.

i guess it just depends on how pretty u want your games to be if they don't run properly on ps5.

Edited by Leenewbe