PS4 Pro or PS5?

LoveInHell

With the PS4 Pro still not receiving a price cut from Sony, it doesn't make sense to get one for $400 (or $300+ if you're lucky). Plus, you already have a PS4. It should hold you out until you're able to get a PS5.

The PS5 is going to be able to do almost everything a PS4 or PS4 Pro can do. Save your money for a PS5.

Buy a PS5. It’s the best option in the long run plus saves you money and space.

If the PS4 games don’t run well on the PS5 then just play them on your regular PS4. The graphical difference isn’t going to be as if you went from a PS5 to a PS1.

• Like 2

On 1/2/2021 at 8:27 AM, LoveInHell said:

I need some advice. I have a regular PS4 with a backlog of about 300-350 games. I have a 4K HDR tv and since I own a lot of games that support 4K and HDR, it feels like I’m missing out on the best quality and overall a better gaming experience. I don’t want to play them on a regular PS4 either. The plan was to play them on the PS5 cause of better quality but...

I’ve read multiple forum posts about several PS4 games not running smoothly on the PS5. One would crash, the other doesn’t load graphics properly. Etc.

The PS4 Pro costs about the same as a PS5 and on top of that I would love to get a PS5 at the end of 2021 or somewhere in 2022. I was going to use the PS5 for all my PS4 games too.

I have a great uncertainty because I don’t exactly know which games will work perfectly how they should and which ones wont on the PS5. Its obvious by now that Sony’s testing wasn’t done properly.

To me, having a regular PS4, Pro AND PS5 is far too much. I still use my PS3 too, I’d like to have max. 3 consoles on my desk. Its either PS4 Pro, get rid of the regular, or get the PS5.

I have no idea what to do.

Honestly, PS5. The problems are minimal and Sony has supplied virtually no software update yet.

On 03/01/2021 at 3:18 PM, LockheedPrime said:

in some games yeah, but most other games range from using techniques like checkerboard 4k, temporal injection 4k, dynamic 4k up to native 4k, the UI is native 4k at all times, the console output signal to the TV is 4k at all times, i suggest you take a look at this thread because evidently you have no idea what you're talking about, you said the console does not output in 4k period, not native

https://www.resetera.com/threads/all-games-with-ps4-pro-enhancements.3101/

The techniques like checkerboarding are upscaling... What's the point of buying gaming hardware to look at 4K on UI elements only? If PS4 Pro did output 4K resolution (3840 × 2160), no one would want to play games at 5 fps. The hardware isn't powerful enough, thus the upscaling to 4K.

On 1/9/2021 at 8:43 AM, Eyjabria said:

The techniques like checkerboarding are upscaling... What's the point of buying gaming hardware to look at 4K on UI elements only? If PS4 Pro did output 4K resolution (3840 × 2160), no one would want to play games at 5 fps. The hardware isn't powerful enough, thus the upscaling to 4K.

it's not upscaling, it's reconstructions, upscaling is taking a lower res image and blowing it out to a higher res one, reconstruction fills out the pixel map 1:1, 4k is 8 million pixels, even if it's checkerboard, it's 8 million pixels of checkerboard, so it's full 4k, upscaling would be 2 million pixels filling up 8 million, there's a reason they don't call it upscaling, if you don't know the technicalities, don't speak

and like I said, that's just some options, the console also outputs full 4k native in plenty of games, The Last Of Us Remastered, Persona 5 Royal, pretty much all sports games, they all are native 4k, you really have no idea what you're talking about

Edited by EDGES
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

i'd say go with the ps5. I still got my pro incase i need it for completing something, but i haven't used the pro since and everything is faster and smoother also the always on HDR works wonders on old games and makes them look really good, many jaggies or aliasing artifacts dissapear with the contrast change and in all cases look crisper. ssd works wonders on those awful 1 mistake > death > long ass load time type games.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd get an external HDD for PS4 games, so you can save the SSD space for PS5 ones. At least PS5's Kraken compression will help. Control Ultimate Edition takes way less space on PS5 than XSX and PC versions (these are 42 GB, and PS5's is 25).

Will I trade in my PS4 Pro for the PS5, or just pay the whole $500 out of pocket? It's hard for me to say, knowing the PS5 backward compatibility isn't perfect (at least for now... let's hope they work on it). While Trails of Cold Steel II has its framerate death zones (like Lunaria Park) fixed, unfortunately I've also seen a complaint about a game breaking bug when it's played on PS5. During a certain cutscene, the screen goes black for half a minute and an error message shows up. I'm shocked, since this game is not on the incompatible list.

Spoiler

After you talk to Claire about going to save Trista, and test Valimar's new prototype tachi, it freezes with a black screen for half a minute, then there's your error message.

It makes no sense that Sony hasn't lowered the price of PS4 Pro. At this point, $400 is ridiculous for it... they should cut it to about $280.

Edited by RadiantFlamberge