lettmon

This game to me is much better than Witcher 3

18 posts in this topic

This game doesn't take itself too serious. The combat is simple but satisfying. You can't even aim your ranged weapons in Witcher 3! It baffles my mind that noone cares. In Arcania you can not only aim, but zoom your ranged weapons, after leveling up the skill branch, like a real RPG is supposed to work.

For all its faults, Arcania feels like a fun adventure, Witcher 3 felt like a drag, I invested 50 hours in it and I never felt satisfaction while playing it, it felt like work. All cutscenes felt like placeholders that were wasting my time. Arcania doesn't have pointless cutscenes, they are not needed to convey what is going on.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never played Arcania, so I'm a bit curious about it. Aside from your comment, what features would you praise? Also, how is the narrative?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you love this game, you would definitely love the original Gothic series. Too bad that one is not on Playstation.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're enjoying that then you should definitely try Risen too. Also if you have access to a PC then check out the Gothic series

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, lettmon said:

This game doesn't take itself too serious. The combat is simple but satisfying. You can't even aim your ranged weapons in Witcher 3! It baffles my mind that noone cares. In Arcania you can not only aim, but zoom your ranged weapons, after leveling up the skill branch, like a real RPG is supposed to work.

For all its faults, Arcania feels like a fun adventure, Witcher 3 felt like a drag, I invested 50 hours in it and I never felt satisfaction while playing it, it felt like work. All cutscenes felt like placeholders that were wasting my time. Arcania doesn't have pointless cutscenes, they are not needed to convey what is going on.

Hmm color me intrigued. I  didn't match care for the combat in Witcher 3 since it forces you to pick a handful of abilities instead of giving access to everything you have unlocked; is this case in Arcania? Also, the reason I enjoyed the Witcher was because of the characters and stories in it, side quests included. You said this game has no pointless cutscenes so is more like Soulsborne games in regards to story telling or is it more traditional?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Copanele said:

If you love this game, you would definitely love the original Gothic series. Too bad that one is not on Playstation.

 

I have played Gothic 2, I really like it but at one point, after leaving the first area or two, it became really tough and I stopped playing.

 

11 minutes ago, RedDevil757 said:

If you're enjoying that then you should definitely try Risen too. Also if you have access to a PC then check out the Gothic series

 

I have Risen on Steam, I played it for a few hours but couldn't get into it, but it's on my radar to give it another try one day.

 

34 minutes ago, Folkenio said:

I've never played Arcania, so I'm a bit curious about it. Aside from your comment, what features would you praise? Also, how is the narrative?

 

The first thing you should know about Arcania is that it is hated by most Gothic fans 😂 because it is a dumbed down version of the Gothic games, but personally I still like it. I like exploration and combat and leveling up and getting better weapons and items, crafting them, selling them etc. The narrative is of a run of the mill fantasy semi open world RPG.

Edited by lettmon
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, da-Noob123 said:

Hmm color me intrigued. I  didn't match care for the combat in Witcher 3 since it forces you to pick a handful of abilities instead of giving access to everything you have unlocked; is this case in Arcania? Also, the reason I enjoyed the Witcher was because of the characters and stories in it, side quests included. You said this game has no pointless cutscenes so is more like Soulsborne games in regards to story telling or is it more traditional?

 

In Arcania you supposedly can be light warrior, heavy warrior or a mage and of course you can mix them all. I prefer combating with ranged weapons and one handed swords. Story telling is the same as the Gothic games, after all Arcania is Gothic 4 but due to some legal issues they dropped the Gothic name from it.

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Witcher 3 is a great game, but I do agree about the cut scenes.  I have never looked at Arcania, but will check it out. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, lettmon said:

 

I have played Gothic 2, I really like it but at one point, after leaving the first area or two, it became really tough and I stopped playing.

 

Ah right, truth be told Gothic and Gothic 2 are difficult to the point of unfairness xD but once you get the hang of it (as in, how the entire world works) it really gets good. Gothic 3...eh not so much.

And I won't lie, I love Witcher 3, but I can understand why you would go for Arcania . I really REALLY should play it also.

Heard Elex is in the same way built, but it's with futuristic stuff.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dont you hold R1 to aim your crossbow in the witcher? Pretty sure i aimed while getting 50 headshots 🤷‍♂️

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked at some videos for this and i'm intrigued, this seems right up my alley. I might add this to my 2021 playlist.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EcxuUuUuUuSse mee, there is something wrong with your title.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I adore Eurojank games and I believe these kinds of low-budget or so-called "AA" games have plenty of merit and character you don't find in both AAA big-budget games or indie titles!

 

That said, I'd caution everyone intrigued by this post to take a really good look at the game online first to temper your expectations and become familiar with the caveats of a game like Arcania - especially given the rather blunt contrast with The Witcher 3 by the OP. Arcania (and all others Eurojank games like the Risen series, Two Worlds, etc.) is a VERY low-budget game, being extremely unpolished, fairly buggy, and all-around clunky. I would only recommend playing these kinds of games if you have a high tolerance for jank and don't get frustrated much. 

 

Still - always happy to see a niche RPG like this get some attention! :D 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, OnlyCass said:

Dont you hold R1 to aim your crossbow in the witcher? Pretty sure i aimed while getting 50 headshots 🤷‍♂️

 

 

yes, you very much can aim with your crossbow in witcher 3

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MrBenosaurus said:

I adore Eurojank games and I believe these kinds of low-budget or so-called "AA" games have plenty of merit and character you don't find in both AAA big-budget games or indie titles!

 

That said, I'd caution everyone intrigued by this post to take a really good look at the game online first to temper your expectations and become familiar with the caveats of a game like Arcania - especially given the rather blunt contrast with The Witcher 3 by the OP. Arcania (and all others Eurojank games like the Risen series, Two Worlds, etc.) is a VERY low-budget game, being extremely unpolished, fairly buggy, and all-around clunky. I would only recommend playing these kinds of games if you have a high tolerance for jank and don't get frustrated much. 

 

Still - always happy to see a niche RPG like this get some attention! :D 

 

Witcher 3 felt clunkier to me. As far as I know most Witcher players admit that the movement and combat are not very good. Arcania has its flaws but the movement and combat are not one of them.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Witcher 3 was praised for a lot of things but combat benchmark wasn't one of them.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Copanele said:

Heard Elex is in the same way built, but it's with futuristic stuff.

I can attest to this after playing Both Arcania and Elex.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A better than the Witcher is too much though. It is definitely does combat better, much better. Everything else though feels nonexistent. Game lost it's Gothic bits, including cringe, irony, twisted mindblowing turns and open minded quests, routine of medieval folk. This game is worth 3 dollars, like a good indie game, neither Witcher, neither Gothic to compare. If Gothic 3 had this combat, it would be an epic game, my personal take, so much more Gothic 3 had in compare to Arcania, tons of stuff.

Also the game feels much better than Risen 3 or 2, but somewhat on par with Risen, at least Risen had all what Gothic was prised for at some extent. Still both of them are far worse than any of former games. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.