Potentially sad news about the upcoming multiplayer DLC

You

I got this game on XBox X day of release. It is the only XBox game that I own, however due to the play across all areas system, I am able to buy it and play it on my PC and not need an XBoxX series.

Some good news first, the multiplay mode is absolutely awesome. 3 player coop against a boss all in time to the music is a really neat mode, I can't wait to play this on PS4 when it is released for free later this year. (After the exclusivity deal ends)

Anyway, onto the kinda bad news. As I play this game a lot on PS4 I went straight into the multiplayer and played that for hours instead of the base game (as the multiplayer stuff is new), and that's when I noticed that no achievements were popping despite many hours of gameplay.

Multiplayer and the original stuff, stats are separate. A few changes to the original trophy set are different too.

Aside from the "Seriously" trophy, now becoming get all S rank instead of all SS and the million rotations being knocked down to "100,000" (I guess a nod that the developers thought these 2 trophies were way too hard on PS4) there are no new achievements at all for this game, not one, despite their being many more game modes.

So I speculate the Tetris Effect free DLC will be like games like Dark Souls 3 DLC, the new DLC adds no new trophies.

The new modes have their own avatars to unlock, a different exp gauge and a new selection of stats. In other words playing the multiplayer mode makes 0% progress to any trophies for the base game.

Would have loved to rank up to lvl99 and getting towards a million rotations, but nope, looks like I really do have to play 450 more hours of Journey mode.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Trumpet_Boi_208 said:

When is this DLC coming out for PS4, or is it not known yet?

in the summer of this year

https://www.tetriseffect.game/2020/11/04/tetris-effect-connected-faq/

1. Will the Connected multiplayer expansion come to the PS4, Epic Games PC or Oculus Quest versions of Tetris Effect? When?

Yes! The Connected update will be free for all owners of Tetris Effect when it releases in the Summer of 2021.

On 2021-01-02 at 11:18 PM, enaysoft said:

I got this game on XBox X day of release. It is the only XBox game that I own, however due to the play across all areas system, I am able to buy it and play it on my PC and not need an XBoxX series.

Some good news first, the multiplay mode is absolutely awesome. 3 player coop against a boss all in time to the music is a really neat mode, I can't wait to play this on PS4 when it is released for free later this year. (After the exclusivity deal ends)

Anyway, onto the kinda bad news. As I play this game a lot on PS4 I went straight into the multiplayer and played that for hours, and that's when I noticed that no achievements were popping despite many hours of gameplay.

Aside from the "Seriously" trophy now becoming get all S rank instead of all SS and the million rotations being knocked down to "100,000" (I guess a nod that the developers thought these 2 trophies were way too hard on PS4) there are no new achievements at all for this game, not one, despite their being many more game modes.

So I speculate the Tetris Effect free DLC will be like games like Dark Souls 3 DLC, the new DLC adds no new trophies.

Probably worst of all though is that the new modes have their own avatars to unlock, a different exp gauge and a new selection of stats. In other words playing the multiplayer mode makes 0% progress to any trophies for the base game.

I was looking forward to getting this game on PS4 and just playing multiplayer a whole lot and finally ranking up to lvl99 and getting towards a million rotations, but nope, looks like I won't be able to rely on that now.

Wait I’m a little confused. Are the trophy requirements different than they initially were? E.g. All SS ranks & 1 million rotations? And they’re now only All S ranks & 100,000 rotations? Or is there a PS5 version or something? I can’t follow along.

3 hours ago, OmegaRejectz said:

Wait I’m a little confused. Are the trophy requirements different than they initially were? E.g. All SS ranks & 1 million rotations? And they’re now only All S ranks & 100,000 rotations? Or is there a PS5 version or something? I can’t follow along.

"Trophies" are only nerfed a bit on XBox due to the rerelease of the game on a different platform.

2 hours ago, Kcrack_Km said:

So are the trophies actually getting nerfed? I'm about 10 seconds off SS rank for sprint. If the requirements change to just an S rank, I might as well stop grinding and just wait. 

No, the Playstation trophies will still remain as hard as they are now. Would be cool if they were though.

Although I can't higher than A, (Sprint, Master, Ultra and Mystery) on a few of the modes. lol

On 1/7/2021 at 3:38 AM, enaysoft said:

"Trophies" are only nerfed a bit on XBox due to the rerelease of the game on a different platform.

No, the Playstation trophies will still remain as hard as they are now. Would be cool if they were though.

Although I can't higher than A, (Sprint, Master, Ultra and Mystery) on a few of the modes. lol

Do you know if time affects some of the ranks, such as Journey and Marathon? Sorry if this is a silly question. I’m familiar with Tetris, just not the ranking system.

5 minutes ago, Trumpet_Boi_208 said:

Do you know if time affects some of the ranks, such as Journey and Marathon? Sorry if this is a silly question. I’m familiar with Tetris, just not the ranking system.

the only rank based on time is sprint, all the rest are on points (or the specific clear requirements for the focus modes/purify)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TehUberCheezCatz said:

the only rank based on time is sprint, all the rest are on points (or the specific clear requirements for the focus modes/purify)

Thank you very much for clearing that up for me. I relied on speed to get through Journey mode with a high rank and wondered why I couldn’t get an A rank.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Man so I would totally have 100% this game ages ago on Xbox. 1,000,000 and SS rank on Sprint are just beyond my time and ability respectively.

Does the Xbox version have extra skins? one of the things I can't believe never happened with Tetris Effect was skin pack DLC. Given all the effort put into Tetris 99 I can't believe it was never done for Tetris Effect as well.

Edited by BlaizeV

10 minutes ago, BlaizeV said:

Man so I would totally have 100% this game ages ago on Xbox. 1,000,000 and SS rank on Sprint are just beyond my time and ability respectively.

Does the Xbox version have extra skins? one of the things I can't believe never happened with Tetris Effect was skin pack DLC. Given all the effort put into Tetris 99 I can't believe it was never done for Tetris Effect as well.

They have a whole ton of new skins for the VS mode, but it's just the new mode only. You can't use the Journey mode skins in VS or the VS skins in Effect mode (when you fly around the world) etc.

Yeah X-Box users got it easy. Still, let's hope the PS4 versions gets extra trophies.

• 4 months later...

Just finished the first session of multiplayer and I have to say that it's good fun! I especially like the connected mode against the AI bosses. HOWEVER, as expected, the rotations you do in multiplayer do not count towards the 1 million rotations trophy.

But why? The time you spend in multiplayer does count towards your total playtime in your stats, so why not the rotations as well?

So I'm still stuck at 667k rotations and instead of having fun in multiplayer and getting the trophy that way, I now have to keep doing boring marathons etc.What a pity.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Joypad92 said:

Just finished the first session of multiplayer and I have to say that it's good fun! I especially like the connected mode against the AI bosses. HOWEVER, as expected, the rotations you do in multiplayer do not count towards the 1 million rotations trophy.

But why? The time you spend in multiplayer does count towards your total playtime in your stats, so why not the rotations as well?

So I'm still stuck at 667k rotations and instead of having fun in multiplayer and getting the trophy that way, I now have to keep doing boring marathons etc.What a pity.

Well that's annoying!  Only 700,000 more to go for me!  

I am on the final stage of Connected Mode but it's very difficult. I like the crossplay.

Seems like not many PS4 players playing the game at the moment, as my team partners have always been XBox Controllers or PC Monitors. It's cool you can see which platform they are using. Although you can't add them as "Friends" and then play Friend mode with them as they're not on the same platform as you. Can only play with randoms like that in Ranked Match it seems. Friend match has to be on the same platform.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Joypad92 said:

Just keep spinning in easy mode where you don't lose by topping out and watch a movie ;-)

Thats the way i did it after getting all the other stuff, 1000000 is too much of a grind to play normal in my opinion. I played a lot for personal bests in the different modes but didn't come very close to 1000000 spins xD

But i find it very stupid the multiplayer doesn't count for this particular stat if it does for the other like you said (time), doesn't make any sense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheVengeance1231 said:

Any new trophies for the connected DLC??

Does the DLC lower the difficulty of platinum??

DLC is 100% non trophy related.

Quite literally playing the mode does not contribute towards anything to the base game. Which is a shame since the Connected 3 player Vs Boss is fantastic, highly original and very addictive.

You get to unlock avatars that only exist in VS mode.

Most fun I've had in years on a game, that has no trophies.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2021 at 0:38 AM, enaysoft said:

Did a little inquiring about this. It's not been openly said what the reasoning for doing this was, but there is a strong assumption that the intention is to not diminish the accomplishments of already existing behavior. This would match the reasoning of this dev with previous titles as well.

Edited by Jelly Soup

4 hours ago, Jelly Soup said:

Did a little inquiring about this. It's not been openly said what the reasoning for doing this was, but there is a strong assumption that the intention is to not diminish the accomplishments of already existing behavior. This would match the reasoning of this dev with previous titles as well.

That's perhaps understandable with the ranks.

The million rotations though? That just rewards people who purchased turbo controllers.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Picking up this thread years later, when I am now coming to the game and thinking about the issues above - so is it really (still) the case that playing multiplayer contributes absolutely nothing towards any trophy progression on PS4?

I’m surprised!