[POLL] Expectations vs Experience for Cyberpunk 2077

Eraezr

[POLL] Expectations vs Experience for Cyberpunk 2077  

153 members have voted

1. 1. With the given marketing, did C2077 live up to your expectations?

• Fully fulfilled.
    • Some parts nailed, other parts disappointed
    • Severely failed to its ambition and promises
  2. 2. How much did you enjoy C2077?

• Enjoyed it a lot, have little/no reservations.
    • Mildly enjoyed it but soberly critical about aspects of the game.
    • It felt like a dull open world game with few shining moments.
    • It was horrible.
  3. 3. If you've played The Witcher 3; which of the two recent CDPR AAAs do you believe is a better game?

• The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
    • Waiting to see how much they'll fix and improve C2077 before deciding.
    • Cyberpunk 2077

The game lived up to my expectations simply because I was expecting a great rpg and after 70 hours played for the 100%, I'll say I got exactly that. If you were one of those that fell deep into the hype as many youtubers and fans were making it seem like this would be the greatest thing ever made then I can see why some would be disappointed, especially if you played the horrible last gen versions. 

My main issues with cyberpunk are the constant crashes on ps5 and the length of the story but other than that its a solid 8.5/10 to me personally. Not better than Witcher 3 but still great when it works. 

Edited by BrandedBerserk

Based on my experience with The Witcher III - (crashed and save corrupted within the first 2 hours - followed by quick-fast deletion from my system before any trophies could happen!)....

...I expected it to not function properly on PS4, and that I would need to wait until it was released on PS5, and had a minimum of a couple of years of patches under it’s belt before I even considered touching it.

Unfortunately, my expectations have been largely met.

3 hours ago, Kpppp-2B9SA2 said:

My main issue with the game are the lies from the trailers and how cdpr scammed a lot of poeple. The game is good if you did not watch any trailers.

Agree. The trendline I've seen with those who like the games a lot vs. those who dislike it among my mates, is correlated to how much one was following the marketing closely. The more they soaked up CDPR's words and marketing footage, the more they were disappointed.

Actually after completing the game, it's a severe disappointment to me in many ways, from all the bugs to the lackluster experience in the game... it was just alright to me.. it felt like it was missing things and an incomplete game... yeah I enjoyed parts of it.. but it failed in so many areas. I didn't hate it, but I only found myself loving parts of it instead of everything.

On 1/5/2021 at 8:35 PM, ArsGoetia said:

Actually after completing the game, it's a severe disappointment to me in many ways, from all the bugs to the lackluster experience in the game... it was just alright to me.. it felt like it was missing things and an incomplete game... yeah I enjoyed parts of it.. but it failed in so many areas. I didn't hate it, but I only found myself loving parts of it instead of everything.

Same.

I didn’t really have that many expectations and was a little wary of it even before it was released. But it’s been fun so definitely lived up to my lack of expectations.

I’m enjoying it a lot, it’s a good game.

It’s definitely not better than The Witcher III but that game is a masterpiece so it’s hard to beat.

Edited by Feral

It was a hard choice for me regarding the 2nd and 3rd option, 2nd question.

I was expecting a more story driven game but Cyberpunk is rather lacking on this aspect.

For open world, it is a chore. Of course I am biased against this genre but i don't see much fun doing all those police activities...

First 70-80 hours I really enjoyed (besides the constant crashing on PS5 but the story hooked my like a drug addict) which was a natural progression through the game, meaning advancing the main story line, doing side missions for NPCs (Panam, Judy, etc.), occasionally doing crimes and gigs.

After finishing the game (two regular endings and "easy way out" ending) I decided to go for platinum. This is when the negative stuff really started to show up. Crimes and gigs are so uninteresting and repetitive, police system is like made in one week (literally teleporting policemen after committing crime is hilarious and dumb at the same time), inventory system is frustrating (you have constantly full inventory). And when you realize that you don't have enough money to buy all cars even after completion of all crimes/gigs/quests, etc. is ridiculous. I spent only like 100k for some cyberware and that was exactly what I was missing. Had to save, sell everything I had (legendary weapons, outfits, etc.), buy the last car and reload.

Just one ending to go and platinum will be mine, but can't say I have been enjoying the game very much after beating the story.

TL;DR - great story and characters, game mechanics are nothing special, repetitive grind after finishing the story, should have stayed in development for another 6-12 months.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, matthew_svk said:

First 70-80 hours I really enjoyed (besides the constant crashing on PS5 but the story hooked my like a drug addict) which was a natural progression through the game, meaning advancing the main story line, doing side missions for NPCs (Panam, Judy, etc.), occasionally doing crimes and gigs.

After finishing the game (two regular endings and "easy way out" ending) I decided to go for platinum. This is when the negative stuff really started to show up. Crimes and gigs are so uninteresting and repetitive, police system is like made in one week (literally teleporting policemen after committing crime is hilarious and dumb at the same time), inventory system is frustrating (you have constantly full inventory). And when you realize that you don't have enough money to buy all cars even after completion of all crimes/gigs/quests, etc. is ridiculous. I spent only like 100k for some cyberware and that was exactly what I was missing. Had to save, sell everything I had (legendary weapons, outfits, etc.), buy the last car and reload.

Just one ending to go and platinum will be mine, but can't say I have been enjoying the game very much after beating the story.

TL;DR - great story and characters, game mechanics are nothing special, repetitive grind after finishing the story, should have stayed in development for another 6-12 months.

I'm guessing you're not one for using money gain exploits in trophy hunting?

16 hours ago, Eraezr said:

I'm guessing you're not one for using money gain exploits in trophy hunting?

Nope, if I was missing like 500k, I would do it but luckily I was able to get it like I describe it earlier. But it is quite a fail if players have to resort to using exploits, etc.

I don't outright dislike the game and theres a lot of hyperbole with the surrounding the general gamer discourse, heck there's even a couple redeeming qualities. However, even with bugs aside it's just a really another mediocre bland forgettable open world game. I wouldn't be putting it on any 'worst games' lists like some people have been but it certainly wouldn't come anywhere close to being on the upper end of this years releases either, nor will I probably even remember much of the game in a years time. The way they've handled it (both post launch and during development) has burned a lot of goodwill for CDPR as well, I'm unsure if they can pull this back with the attitude they're showing at the moment but time will tell and maybe with some substantial free content updates (as with every unfinished game these days) maybe it could evolve into a somewhat competent game and CDPR could earn back some faith from the gaming community. 

Thing is, I'm not actually all that disappointed because I pretty much expected this, all the red flags were there across the development and marketing of the game especially leading up to launch (and especially how obnoxiously over marketed this game was, no other game in the last couple years comes close!). I knew it was going to be just another one of those 'meh' releases but I guess with Witcher 3 under CDPRs belt people still went in with really high expectations despite the flags and surely we have learned from the many times before, just because a team makes one hit game/series doesn't make everything they touch magically turns to gold. The fact they were leveraging Witcher 3s success so much should have rang alarm bells too.

There are some studios I do agree can genuinely feel like a seal of quality, but those often have a legacy of hit after hit. Witcher 3 was one game, one very good GOTD contender, but still one game nonetheless, they don't have that untouchable track record to be looked upon in such the favour they are.

Also, not to dunk too much on the studio (especially since it's the management that fucked up, not those grinding away for days developing the game), but some of the strongest elements of Witcher 3 aren't a CDPR creation, just sayin' ? so maybe don't give them TOO much credit for how great that turned out.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i don't really do posts on here but i felt i need to share some of my experiences.

Just finished the game on PS5. Played about 50h on PS4pro when it came out and finished it off on the new gen hardware. I did not have a massive amount of hype for it when it released, but i would say it hit a very specific sweetspot. So expectations were met and exceeded for me in the long run.

The story is pretty good, i was invested in it throughout the game. Sure, you could say it was a little streched out, but that's diffirent from person to person i guess. Characters are well done and at about midpoint of the game you could start to feel some sort of a connection to a few of the characters aswell. 

I also liked the variability of the game in the RPG aspect. You can do all sorts of diffirent builds. Go guns blazing. Just hack thru the game from distance or be a melee warrior. Choice is yours. The skill tree and possibilitys to build your character in a specific way aren't endless but diverse enough in my opinion.

Also i have to mention the city detail and design. Never have i experienced a city so complex and vibrant in a game before. The layers of floors and the little details all over the city. The detail is truly impressive,not at just some specific point, but within the whole city. Found some really cool areas and roads at endgame, places i haven't been before. Every place felt like it had history. Could really see they poured love into building Night City. Sometimes i tried to navigate without a gps tracker and once you get into those dense parts i often found myself getting lost at checking out the diffirent signs and buildings, listening to the npc convos etc. The city itself is probably my favorite part of the game. Just needs to feel a bit more lived in (hopefully ps5 patch will boost that) but still it is the star of the game for me.

I know this game got and still gets hate, but deffo give this one a try, not many games in this type of era or setting and this one did it pretty good. One of the more memorable games in the past few years for me. A really nice way to add some variety to your gaming experience. 9/10

• Like 1