Best order to play RE games?

Koro249

should he play the Resident evil 2 Remake and Resident evil 3 remake or should he play the OG PS1 games. 

IMO, I'd try to pick up the OG versions of RE2 and RE3 as the remakes does cut out some of the content and alter some events and orgins of the monsters 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wackt1 said:

should he play the Resident evil 2 Remake and Resident evil 3 remake or should he play the OG PS1 games. 

IMO, I'd try to pick up the OG versions of RE2 and RE3 as the remakes does cut out some of the content and alter some events and orgins of the monsters 

I did without the originals and found it to be great, but some people still prefer the OG games just due to the nostalgia and wanting the full experience. It's really a matter of personal preference. However, let us not forget the absolutely HORRIBLE voice acting in the OG RE1. lol

Edited by Kristen Danielle
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

DON'T PLAY THIS GAME. The fixed camera angles are a bitch to deal with, and sometimes lead me going the wrong way or unable to see the zombie I'm trying to aim at.

And enjoy watching the same door opening animation over and over whenever you go into a new room! That shit gets old quick!

I wish I never started it. But since I did, and trophies can't be deleted, I can't back out now. I look forward to putting this platinum behind me.

Edited by me_is_caveman

I played most of the mainline games available on ps4 during last years lockdown and looking back I would advise playing them in release order. the earlier games havent aged well in my opinion and are rather difficult to play (Code Veronica especially). After playing RE7 I dont want to return to the old-school style.

Also I am going to tell this to everybody whos asking: skip RE6. that game is just horrible. The story is a mess. the action looks like somebody watched too many micheal bay flicks and the gameplay was a bad joke. It gave my massive headaches. sorry for the rant.

I think in 2021 order doesn't really matter.

Especially since there are now like 4 different game styles and time has moved on so much since the first mansion, what if you play the first 3 games but then start RE4 and think omg I hate Third person shooters, or vice versa?

After having played them all, I can't really think of a time where I have thought omg, I wish I knew the backstory behind xxx character and I can't think of when not playing a particular version would make the story in a particular game any less hard to understand.

Take for example, Sherry, she is in RE2 and RE6, but if you played RE6 first you will be like "Oh cool, how cute Sherry is a little kid in this one" or vice versa you will be "Oh cool, Sherry is all grown up now".

Some of the stories seriously feel like they exist in their own universes anyway. I like Claire Redfield but after playing Code Veronica and Revelations 2 with her, decent games in their own right, but you could honestly live without either of them. And games like Resident Evil Gun survivor and even Resident Evil 7, they are so far removed from the actual main storyline.

So many characters just got forgotten anyway, Josh and Sheva what are they doing now?

Revelations 1 is probably the worst for this, there are about 10 new characters introduced in this game, never to be heard of ever again.

I mean literally.

For me personally, as long I'm having fun running around and trying to escape from and kill Zombies and beasts. I'm having a good time. Can't even remember the story of the some of the games now.

On 2021-01-03 at 7:24 PM, Koro249 said:

After playing and completing RE7 I got super interested in the franchise (I know RE7 is quite different to the rest) and now plan to slowly play through all titles available on PS4

Man I know the feeling! I just recently played the first game (Resident Evil remake) and it was amazing!

It was a nice challenge to platinum too, and as a newcomer to the series I felt pretty accomplished when I finished it. I can’t lie though, at first I wasn’t so sure about the game because the fixed camera angles and the terrible combat/aiming was such a huge adjustment for me. But after a few hours it began to click.

As a complete newbie to the survival horror genre, I found the creepy atmosphere to be amazing, and began to thoroughly enjoy the high tension and the isolated, claustrophobic feelings I was experiencing while roaming those twisted, labyrinthian corridors of the Resident Evil mansion. I would play this game at night in the dark and get so engrossed in what I was doing!

Well long story short, I sort of became low key obsessed with the series like you lol. I started researching the shit out of the franchise, and bought a truck load of Resident Evil games in the Holiday Sales.

I’m going to play Resident Evil Zero next because it’s very similar to the REmake both stylistically and trophy wise, so it will feel familiar. And then I’ll probably dive into the Resident Evil 2 remake because it looks fucking incredible and I’m dying to check it out.

The rest of the games in the series are so wildly different from one another that I will most likely break my usual rule of trying to play through a series in chronological order. Instead I might skip straight to either RE4 or RE7 next. I’ve heard so many people say 4 is one of the greatest RE games and it looks like a good mix of the series horror roots, but with the new over-the-shoulder action style.

However, I’ve heard equally awesome things about RE7 and I think a first person RE game would ratchet up the intensity even more so I really want to give it a shot and see what it’s like.

I just can’t believe I waited so long to try these games. They all look so fun! ?

• Like 2

I'm doing them in release order, well the ones I want to experience anyway. So far I've done:

Resident Evil

Resident Evil 2

Resident Evil 3

Resident Evil 0

Resident Evil Revelations 2 (in progress)

Resident Evil 7 (to do)

One thing I will say is that going to Resident Evil 0 after the remakes is jarring to say the least and I didn't enjoy it at all. In all honesty I wish I'd done RE0 first. I don't know what doing this before Resident Evil would spoil, maybe it went over my head, or maybe it was because I spent more time faffing around trying to find an item in the piles of inventory I'd left scattered over the floor, like a child's bedroom or waiting half an hour sending items up and down a dumb waiter than I was with what I was supposed to be doing it all for.

I did Resident Evil 5 years ago, can't remember what the point of that was, but yes I suppose you can chuck that somewhere in the middle.

• Like 1

1 or 4 are viable starting points, especially since you already played 7.

After 1 you can just play them in release order. Substitute 2/3 with the remakes if you want.

If you go with 4 you can play 5, Revelations 1/2 and 6.

Just don't play 0 before 1. Feel free to skip all the side games till after the numbered mainline + Revelations titles.

I've played all my Resident Evil games in completely random order.

I began Resident Evil 5 in 2011, but didn't like it that much so I abandoned it. Fast forward to 2016 and the stuff shown from Resident Evil 7 got me really excited, so I decided to go back and give Resident Evil 5 another shot in anticipation for 7, and ended up loving it! Then I played Resident Evil 7, followed by Resident Evil Remake, Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil 2 Remake and Resident Evil 3 Remake.

To me it didn't really matter that I played them out of order. Perhaps it's a good idea to play 2 and 3 in order (and probably 7 and Village as well), but I don't think it matters that much. There's a certain charm to jumping into something in the middle of it (like Resident Evil 5) and then going back and learning more about the characters, the story, how it all began etc.