Best order to play RE games?

Koro249

On 25/01/2021 at 8:43 AM, me_is_caveman said:

DON'T PLAY THIS GAME. The fixed camera angles are a bitch to deal with, and sometimes lead me going the wrong way or unable to see the zombie I'm trying to aim at.

And enjoy watching the same door opening animation over and over whenever you go into a new room! That shit gets old quick!

I wish I never started it. But since I did, and trophies can't be deleted, I can't back out now. I look forward to putting this platinum behind me.

I found they added to the tension. You can't see what's coming

Edited by RedDevil757
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

This is what I would suggest and is the way I've been playing through the franchise. To put this order together I started with the canon chronological order in the post from Reddit linked above and now below...

Spoiler
  • Wesker's Report 2

• Wesker's Report

• Resident Evil 0

• Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles (Beginnings chapter)

• Resident Evil Remake (remake replaces original as canon)

• Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles (Rebirth chapter)

• Biohazard The Wicked North Sea novel

• Resident Evil Outbreak File 1

• Resident Evil Outbreak File 2

• Resident Evil 3 1999/2020 (There are parts of 3 that occur after 2, but I think a straight play through of 3 before 2 is fine or you could play 3 until Jill is poisoned/infected, complete 2, and then finish 3)

• Resident Evil 2 - Claire A/Leon B (1998) or Leon Run 1/Claire Run 2 (2019) (opinions differ over this, but this is my opinion on the best canon run of the remake)

• Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles (The 4th Survivor chapter)

• Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles (Death's Door chapter)

• BIOHAZARD 4D-EXECUTIONER movie

• Resident Evil Survivor

• Resident Evil Code Veronica

• Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles (Operation Javier chapter)

• Resident Evil Dead Aim

• Wesker's Extra Report

• Prelude to the Fall manga

• Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles (Umbrella's End chapter)

• Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles (Dark Legacy chapter)

• Resident Evil 4

• Separate Ways

• Ada's Report

• Jessica's Report

• Resident Evil Revelations

• Resident Evil Degeneration CGI movie

• Resident Evil 5 Lost in Nightmares DLC

• Resident Evil 5

• Resident Evil 5 Desperate Escape DLC

• BIOHAZARD THE STAGE

• Resident Evil Revelations 2 (episode 1 until end of Claire's scenario, Little Miss DLC, finish episode 1, episode 2, episode 3, episode 4 until Claire escapes, The Struggle DLC, Finish episode 4, end game)

• Resident Evil Damnation cgi movie

• Ada's Report (Damnation)

• Resident Evil Marhawa Desire manga

• Resident Evil 6 (Split up as follows: Prelude chapter, Chris chapter 1, Chris chapter 2, Jake chapter 1, Jake chapter 2, Leon chapter 1, Leon chapter 2, Leon chapter 3, Jake chapter 3, Chris chapter 3, Jake Chapter 4, Leon chapter 4, Chris chapter 4, Leon chapter 5, Jake chapter 5, Chris chapter 5, and Ada's Campaign (Thanks u/negasonictenagwarhed))

• Biohazard Heavenly Island manga

• Resident Evil 7 Daughters DLC

• Resident Evil Umbrella Corps

• Resident Evil Vendetta cgi movie

• Resident Evil 7 Kitchen Demo

• Resident Evil 7 Beginning Hour Demo

• Resident Evil 7 Bedroom DLC

• Resident Evil 7 21 DLC

• Resident Evil 7

• Resident Evil 7 Not a Hero DLC

• Resident Evil 7 End of Zoe DLC

• Resident Evil 8

• Resident Evil Infinite Darkness (will place when timeline confirmed)

...because I want to get a pretty complete experience of the franchise, play the games while minimizing spoilers, and be able to keep the story of the franchise straight in my head by roughly playing the games in the order of what happened. However, this franchise is quite unique in how out of order everything is and how so many of the games have multiple storylines at different points in time, so I wanted to be able to settle on one game at a time without jumping around between individual chapters of games on different consoles, etc. I also only wanted to bother with playing the games that were on the consoles I had easy access to (ps4 and ps3) and had trophies. So here is what I settled on:

• Stage 1 - How the outbreak started

• Resident Evil HD - PS4 (Origins collection)

• Resident Evil 0 HD - PS4 (Origins collection)

• Stage 2 - the outbreak in Raccoon city

• Resident Evil 2 Remake - PS4

• Resident Evil 3 Remake - PS4

• Stage 3 - Something else Umbrella was doing with the T-virus

• Resident Evil: Code Veronica X- PS4

• Stage 4 - Review and expansion of the previous games

• Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles - PS3

• Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles - PS3

• Stage 5 - Cleaning up Umbrella and the fallout of what's happened as a consequence of and after the outbreak

• Resident Evil 4 - PS4 (RE Triple Pack)

• Resident Evil Revelations - PS4 (Resident Evil Revelations 1 & 2 Bundle)

• Resident Evil 5 - PS4 (RE Triple Pack)

• Resident Evil Revelations 2 - PS4 (Resident Evil Revelations 1 & 2 Bundle)

• Resident Evil 6 - PS4 (RE Triple Pack)

• Stage 6 (Optional) - the lows of the series

• Umbrella Corps Deluxe Edition - PS4

• Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City - PS3

• Stage 7 - something new

• Resident Evil 7 Gold Edition - PS4

• Resident Evil 8: Village - PS5

Play the original Resident Evil before Resident Evil 0 because it's a better game and if you start with a better game you'll be more likely to get into the franchise while Resident Evil 0 is a much harder game to get into as a beginner to those early games. RE 0 sees you playing as 2 characters simultaneously with a sometimes shared yet sometimes separate inventory system for large chunks of the game and doing that while also getting your head around the mechanics of the game and the camera angles is a bit much. Just play the original first, fall in love with it, and then figure out the prequel.

The resident evil 2 and 3 remakes occur at the same time chronologically so you could play either first even though the first half of RE3 occurs before RE2 while the 2nd half of RE3 occurs after RE2, but I'd suggest 2 first because I would tend to default back to release order. 2 is also a better game and playing the better one first always helps you get through the rest of the franchise.

Code veronica is also important to play. First, because it's actually really good. It's also one of the longer games in the franchise. Second, it first reveals something that will be important to some of the later games and you get to see some of the development of Claire and Chris Redfield who are important to later games. Even though I chose to play the PS4 version because it had a platinum trophy while the Ps3 version didn't, I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND IT. the ps4 version is a straight emulated port of the ps2 version which means it has those god awful tank controls, which are rough to use for a newcomer, and it has the ps2 graphics in a 4:3 pillar box. The ps3 version is the HD remaster akin to what they did with RE1 and RE0 and is much easier to play is way better looking, but doesn't have the platinum.

The Umbrella and Darkside chronicles are somewhat optional to play. They're mainly short (roughly an hour) on-rail shooter versions of the games you just played in RE0, RE1, RE2, RE3, and RE:CV, but they do have some original content that is cool to see and some cool side stories like what a certain character was doing during a game they weren't in or what a side character was doing in one of the games while they were separated from the protagonist. They're not great games but if you really liked the games in the franchise so far, and plan to play more going forward then they're cool to run through. No platinum for either though.

Stages 1- 4 are collectively the initial outbreak games with the later games starting to focus on different things while the rest of the series switches focus away from the initial outbreak in Racoon City.

RE 4,5,6 and RE Rev 1 & 2 are all pretty straight forward, they're less connected than the previous games so playing order is less important but you're better off just playing them in the suggested order: 4, Rev, 5, Rev 2, and then 6 so the story is easier to make sense of and nothing, however minor, is spoiled.

I think Umbrella corps and operation raccoon city are optional because they're really not good games first and foremost but they really don't add much to the franchise. Operation Raccoon City is non-canon to begin with but it does have trophies, and if you really like the franchise you may get something out of it. While Umbrella corps is canon, like RE3, part of it takes place before RE6 (the single-player) and part of it takes place after RE6 (the multiplayer). If you've become a big fan of the series and have played all the games up to this point then you should go ahead and play it, otherwise, the trophies might not be worth it.

Then you just have to play 7 with all of its DLC and then move onto 8 when it comes out.

Edited by BioDogPS
grammar
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 27/2/2021 at 1:20 AM, BioDogPS said:

This is what I would suggest and is the way I've been playing through the franchise. To put this order together I started with the canon chronological order in the post from Reddit linked above and now below...

Reveal hidden contents
  • Wesker's Report 2

• Wesker's Report

• Resident Evil 0

• Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles (Beginnings chapter)

• Resident Evil Remake (remake replaces original as canon)

• Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles (Rebirth chapter)

• Biohazard The Wicked North Sea novel

• Resident Evil Outbreak File 1

• Resident Evil Outbreak File 2

• Resident Evil 3 1999/2020 (There are parts of 3 that occur after 2, but I think a straight play through of 3 before 2 is fine or you could play 3 until Jill is poisoned/infected, complete 2, and then finish 3)

• Resident Evil 2 - Claire A/Leon B (1998) or Leon Run 1/Claire Run 2 (2019) (opinions differ over this, but this is my opinion on the best canon run of the remake)

• Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles (The 4th Survivor chapter)

• Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles (Death's Door chapter)

• BIOHAZARD 4D-EXECUTIONER movie

• Resident Evil Survivor

• Resident Evil Code Veronica

• Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles (Operation Javier chapter)

• Resident Evil Dead Aim

• Wesker's Extra Report

• Prelude to the Fall manga

• Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles (Umbrella's End chapter)

• Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles (Dark Legacy chapter)

• Resident Evil 4

• Separate Ways

• Ada's Report

• Jessica's Report

• Resident Evil Revelations

• Resident Evil Degeneration CGI movie

• Resident Evil 5 Lost in Nightmares DLC

• Resident Evil 5

• Resident Evil 5 Desperate Escape DLC

• BIOHAZARD THE STAGE

• Resident Evil Revelations 2 (episode 1 until end of Claire's scenario, Little Miss DLC, finish episode 1, episode 2, episode 3, episode 4 until Claire escapes, The Struggle DLC, Finish episode 4, end game)

• Resident Evil Damnation cgi movie

• Ada's Report (Damnation)

• Resident Evil Marhawa Desire manga

• Resident Evil 6 (Split up as follows: Prelude chapter, Chris chapter 1, Chris chapter 2, Jake chapter 1, Jake chapter 2, Leon chapter 1, Leon chapter 2, Leon chapter 3, Jake chapter 3, Chris chapter 3, Jake Chapter 4, Leon chapter 4, Chris chapter 4, Leon chapter 5, Jake chapter 5, Chris chapter 5, and Ada's Campaign (Thanks u/negasonictenagwarhed))

• Biohazard Heavenly Island manga

• Resident Evil 7 Daughters DLC

• Resident Evil Umbrella Corps

• Resident Evil Vendetta cgi movie

• Resident Evil 7 Kitchen Demo

• Resident Evil 7 Beginning Hour Demo

• Resident Evil 7 Bedroom DLC

• Resident Evil 7 21 DLC

• Resident Evil 7

• Resident Evil 7 Not a Hero DLC

• Resident Evil 7 End of Zoe DLC

• Resident Evil 8

• Resident Evil Infinite Darkness (will place when timeline confirmed)

...because I want to get a pretty complete experience of the franchise, play the games while minimizing spoilers, and be able to keep the story of the franchise straight in my head by roughly playing the games in the order of what happened. However, this franchise is quite unique in how out of order everything is and how so many of the games have multiple storylines at different points in time, so I wanted to be able to settle on one game at a time without jumping around between individual chapters of games on different consoles, etc. I also only wanted to bother with playing the games that were on the consoles I had easy access to (ps4 and ps3) and had trophies. So here is what I settled on:

• Stage 1 - How the outbreak started

• Stage 5 - Cleaning up Umbrella and the fallout of what's happened as a consequence of and after the outbreak

Play the original Resident Evil before Resident Evil 0 because it's a better game and if you start with a better game you'll be more likely to get into the franchise while Resident Evil 0 is a much harder game to get into as a beginner to those early games. RE 0 sees you playing as 2 characters simultaneously with a sometimes shared yet sometimes separate inventory system for large chunks of the game and doing that while also getting your head around the mechanics of the game and the camera angles is a bit much. Just play the original first, fall in love with it, and then figure out the prequel.

The resident evil 2 and 3 remakes occur at the same time chronologically so you could play either first even though the first half of RE3 occurs before RE2 while the 2nd half of RE3 occurs after RE2, but I'd suggest 2 first because I would tend to default back to release order. 2 is also a better game and playing the better one first always helps you get through the rest of the franchise.

Code veronica is also important to play. First, because it's actually really good. It's also one of the longer games in the franchise. Second, it first reveals something that will be important to some of the later games and you get to see some of the development of Claire and Chris Redfield who are important to later games. Even though I chose to play the PS4 version because it had a platinum trophy while the Ps3 version didn't, I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND IT. the ps4 version is a straight emulated port of the ps2 version which means it has those god awful tank controls, which are rough to use for a newcomer, and it has the ps2 graphics in a 4:3 pillar box. The ps3 version is the HD remaster akin to what they did with RE1 and RE0 and is much easier to play is way better looking, but doesn't have the platinum.

The Umbrella and Darkside chronicles are somewhat optional to play. They're mainly short (roughly an hour) on-rail shooter versions of the games you just played in RE0, RE1, RE2, RE3, and RE:CV, but they do have some original content that is cool to see and some cool side stories like what a certain character was doing during a game they weren't in or what a side character was doing in one of the games while they were separated from the protagonist. They're not great games but if you really liked the games in the franchise so far, and plan to play more going forward then they're cool to run through. No platinum for either though.

Stages 1- 4 are collectively the initial outbreak games with the later games starting to focus on different things while the rest of the series switches focus away from the initial outbreak in Racoon City.

RE 4,5,6 and RE Rev 1 & 2 are all pretty straight forward, they're less connected than the previous games so playing order is less important but you're better off just playing them in the suggested order: 4, Rev, 5, Rev 2, and then 6 so the story is easier to make sense of and nothing, however minor, is spoiled.

I think Umbrella corps and operation raccoon city are optional because they're really not good games first and foremost but they really don't add much to the franchise. Operation Raccoon City is non-canon to begin with but it does have trophies, and if you really like the franchise you may get something out of it. While Umbrella corps is canon, like RE3, part of it takes place before RE6 (the single-player) and part of it takes place after RE6 (the multiplayer). If you've become a big fan of the series and have played all the games up to this point then you should go ahead and play it, otherwise, the trophies might not be worth it.

Then you just have to play 7 with all of its DLC and then move onto 8 when it comes out.

This is not the order.

The best one is just to follow the release date of the games. Here you can avoid spoilers. And the point is like, Zero, must be played after Code Veronica. Again if you follow the numeric order in some cases, you will EAT SPOILERS.

1. Resident Evil / Director's Cut / Deadly Silence / Remake / Remake HD Remaster (1998-1997-2006-2002-2015)
2. Resident Evil 2 / Remake (1998-2019)
3. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis / Remake (1999-2020)
4. Resident Evil: Survivor (Only in PS or PC Taiwan) (2000)
5. Resident Evil CODE: Veronica (2000)
6. Resident Evil Gaiden (Game Boy Color) (2000)
7. Resident Evil Zero / HD Remaster (The intro mentions Survivor and Veronica and spoils the bad guy of the series xD) (2003-2015)
8. Resident Evil 4 (2005)
9. Resident Evil Dead Aim (2003)
10. Outbreak (2004)
11. Oubreak 2 (2005)
12. Umbrella Chronicles (2007)
13. Darkside Chronicles (2009)
14. RE5 (2009)
15. OP RC (2012)
16. Revelations (2012)
17. RE6 (2012)
18. Revelations 2 (2015)
19. Umbrella Corps xD (2016)
20. RE7 (2017)

With all my respects, I am 36 and I am playing this since 1997, when RE came out on PC, a year after PS, and the best way to play ANY franchise is JUST the RELEASE DATE.

If you are suggesting to play RE Zero in the Stage 1... you are spoiling a lot of things. Wesker, Birkin, Sheena Island, Rockfort Island...

On 27/1/2021 at 3:35 AM, lucky0ne16 said:

does resident evil dead aim or resident evil survival fit in any stories or no ?

Yes. Both are canon. Even Sheena Island is mentioned in the intro of Zero. Ark is a good friend of Leon.

But here people are doing a BIG mistake. Zero must be played after CODE: Veronica and before Dead Aim and 4. 

The best order to play any saga is just to follow the release date.

Edited by stiviwonderstif
  • Like 2

On 2/26/2021 at 7:20 PM, BioDogPS said:

Stage 1 - How the outbreak started

this is indeed a very comprehensive list 

i feel like im having an aneurysm reading some of these list, like fuck
anyways i dont think re is a series that has a super deep or important overarching narrative, so frankly i would just do taster sessions of each "style" (remake for old, 4, 5, or 2 for new, and 7 is 7) and see if they actually grab you, then just start picking apart the ones that actually interest you, with how big & all over the place this series is.

• Like 1

I would recommend playing based on the original release date, you could use an emulator to play the older games that are not available on the current systems. You can easily play RE2/RE3 on Dolphin for example, I even use Dolphin to play the Wii version of RE4 with the motion controls.

Resident Evil 6 gets a bad rep, the story is a bit over the top and they went a bit too far sometimes in over the top cinematic action..

However, I still think it's a great game, more of a coop action shooter than a survival horror, but the controls feel great and the Mercenaries mode is the best out of all the Resident Evil games.

If you have a friend who wants to go through the entire game with you. It's hands down the best Resident Evil game for coop gameplay, getting the entire platinum in either offline and online coop.

In that respect Resident Evil 5 is also a good recommendation as you can also go through and get platinum in offline and online coop too.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

In the order they were released it's the best. Just avoid any spin-off garbage.

Spoiler

Resident Evil

Resident Evil 2

Resident Evil 3

Resident Evil Code Veronica

Resident Evil (Remake)

Resident Evil 0

Resident Evil 4

Resident Evil 5

Resident Evil Revelations

Resident Evil 6

Resident Evil Revelations 2

Resident Evil 7

Resident Evil 2 (Remake)

Resident Evil 3 (Remake)

Resident Evil 8

Edited by LastRideII
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, LastRideII said:

In the order they were released it's the best. Just avoid any spin-off garbage.

Hide contents

Resident Evil

Resident Evil 2

Resident Evil 3

Resident Evil Code Veronica

Resident Evil (Remake)

Resident Evil 0

Resident Evil 4

Resident Evil 5

Resident Evil Revelations

Resident Evil 6

Resident Evil Revelations 2

Resident Evil 7

Resident Evil 2 (Remake)

Resident Evil 3 (Remake)

Resident Evil 8

Can Resident Evil 1, 2 and 3 be replaced by the remakes in the canon? I don't have the originals nor any console/ pc to play them on but I have Resi 1's remake and intend to buy the remakes for 2 and 3 as well.

On 17-05-2021 at 5:36 AM, its_ArchroniX said:

Can Resident Evil 1, 2 and 3 be replaced by the remakes in the canon? I don't have the originals nor any console/ pc to play them on but I have Resi 1's remake and intend to buy the remakes for 2 and 3 as well.

Yes man. It depends on you, although the remake of 2 and 3 leaves many things out, you can still search on internet for more canon stuff of the franchise if you liked at the end.

For example, in my case I'm going to avoid RE7 and RE8, simply because I don't have them and I'm not interested either.

Edited by LastRideII
  • Like 1