IMPOSING/TOWERING PLATINUM?

Puppeter04

Hello there, 

I did not find any related thread so here is my question:

Have you ever faced a towering platinum?

Like "I hope this goes well", or have you been nervous (in a bad or in a good way) about the path that awaits you? Maybe some game that if you make a mistake, you screw it up, like Dragons Dogma?

DD is my election, I haven't started it yet but just thinking about it makes me nervous ?

It sounds like mystical sh*t but I hope you know what I mean. So tell me guys, :D I wanna know!

I put this and now Idk how to delete it *clap clap*

Spoiler

Puppeter04.png

Edited by Puppeter04
  • Like 3

Yes! A few infact. 

Dead Rising 2 - You have a very limited amount of time to kill 72,000 zombies and essentially the game asks you to intereact with everything the world has to offer. By far one of the most intimidating platinums I've earned.

Call of Duty Black Ops 2 and 3. These games required multiple playthroughs of each mission plus having to do the tricky zombies Easter Eggs.

Fighting Games. This genre is my weak spot. Pretty much any fighting game that has missions or combo challenges is gonna be a pain in the ass for me.

5 minutes ago, KenjiCBZ said:

Toy Story 3: The collectable system of the game sucks, and there is little to none good guide material on the web, and in fact, I had failed the 1000G on Xbox 360, years ago. But this time, on Ps3, I made it.

I remember having trouble finding the last few I needed. I found a halfway decent guide back when I played it.

Mine is any game with a high amount of missable trophies. Games that require multiple play throughs. 

I am Bread has been quite the mountain to climb, 90% because of the Garden level on cheese hunt mode! It is the only thing keeping me from the plat at this point, so I'll keep practicing and trying til I get that bad boy finally!!

Honorable mention goes to Ninja Senki DX. Although there is no plat for the game, the last few trophies require precision and knowing the levels pretty well inside and out. To this day, they are still the rarest trophies in my collection and have been for some time now!

• Like 3

I'm currently seriously considering the idea of making Red Dead Redemption 2 my 200th plat.  I've been staring at that imposing beast for like two years but I think I'm ready to get it done.

Also, go for it with Dragon's Dogma.  It's not so bad if you check a guide for the side quests.  I really enjoyed that one and kept playing it way after I got the plat.

• Like 2

FFX... I did the damn chocobo race when I was like 12 on the PS2, but fast forward 15+ years to today, I can't do it on my Vita at all... It's been frustrating me for years now.

Also Tales of Symphonia, with it's 4+ playthroughs and I'm also worrying a bit about the raids in Ghost of Tsushima.

Edited by Kaleniya
  • Like 2

Every game with many missables or too many collectables leave me a bit uneasy, but I would say DMC 5. I had played all others entries before, but I never cared too much about scoring high on style, so I was not sure if I had the skill. It took some time, but it was totally worth it. Not only the game is amazing, but each time I cleared another difficulty with all S I felt a little proud of myself. 

• Like 3

I think that only Enslaved makes me feel that way.. But that's essentially because if I start it, the platinum will be the end game target, and the collectibles are extremely easy to screw up as far as I know... 

Other than that, I can't think of any other game.. I play a lot of games (mainly fighters, but it's not limited to those types of games) where I don't even set the platinum as my end target, simply because I suck at those specific series, and/or can't be "to bothered" to invest the time to even try to platinum them... I just want to have some fun on those games. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, DesmaBR said:

It's always nerve wrecking going for a "Get all Treasure Chests" trophy in Trails games

At least before Cold Steel IV, they finally added a tracker for 'em lol

What's weird is that Ao no Kiseki actually had a percentage with the in game achievement for it, so I don't get why the first few Cold Steel games took that away and ditched the progress tracking.

But I'll say that the non-localized Trails games are actually much much worse.  The absolute winner for imposing was Zero no Kiseki.  So many outright wrong guides and for story quests you'd not get your detective points until the end of the chapter, so you'd have to redo a whole chapter if a guide screwed something up.  Thankfully for quests and the highest detective rank there was a lot more leeway than the Sky games gave.  The worst though was that I ran into a glitch for the battle notes.  I wasn't missing anything, but one monster didn't count on the in game tracker so I couldn't get the trophy to unlock.  Had to start over again from scratch, redo analyzing everything (which also required doing the majority of quests since one with a unique monster required a high rank to get), and hope that on that third run it wouldn't glitch out.  I was so pissed about having to do a third run because of that glitch and also because the guides lied and the difficulty trophies didn't stack so I had to do a run on hard as well.  To be honest, if the game ever gets localized I'm not sure if I'm going to be up for doing that plat again.

In second place is Trails in the Sky SC Evo.  Also a non-localized one.  Sky SC is very unforgiving for the highest bracer rank.  You only have a leeway of two points.  Can't miss any quests at all and if you screw up more than one bonus BP opportunity you're locked out of that trophy.  On top of that you have a nerve wracking beat the game below X level when the final boss gives experience and the second playthrough enhanced enforcer battles require max bracer rank to unlock all of them (and to get the plat, you do have to beat all of them in one run or you won't get the enhanced version of the final boss).  And then there's the usual treasure chest trophy as well, but in this game it was the biggest pain because of so many missable dungeons that were honestly pretty hard to navigate well.  Thankfully someone on Steam linked some pics of a chinese guide with maps, so I downloaded those and put it into photoshop and marked off the ones I found.

17 hours ago, Copanele said:

P.S. Dragon's Dogma LOOKS terrifying but it's actually super forgivable. There's some missable sidequests here and there, the game's wiki page has the perfect guideline for The Hero trophy, HOWEVER even if you mess up the game is still very generous. Just start it confidently and be amazed at how good the game actually is xD 

To add to this even if you miss a quest NG+ will keep track of all previous completed ones. So if you know which quests you missed you can simply beeline for them (and their prerequisites if they have any) and ignore everything else. As well, for being an open-world game it can be completed fairly quickly, especially in NG+ where levels, equipment, and warp points are carried over. I was able to rush through speed run mode in like an hour and ten minutes. I'd advise simply playing it without a guide and enjoying it first and then follow a guide on NG+ for all the trophies. As well, you can always force a NG+ before defeating the final boss if you feel you're stuck. Lower the difficulty to easy or normal if not already and start a hard mode playthrough. It'll send you back to the beginning like NG+ but on hard difficulty. If you want you can even lower the difficulty back to normal or easy once you begin hard mode.

@Copanele @MandA60VISE Then I'm going to be ok :D thank you guys, I didn't read much about DD to elaborate my plan of action, just stressing myself out with no reason hahahaha

Then I'll change my elections, any Kingdom Hearts game just for the amount of time, Persona 5 bc of the risk of making a mistake and a whole playthrough is guaranteed. (Currently playing those 2) and a honorable mention, Teenage Ninja Turtles Danger of the Ooze, the speedrun trophy, finish the game under 1 hour, for god sake, the time is super tight, is a 2D screens/platforms, you control the 4 turtles but if you die, you cannot longer use that turtle (you can go and rescue him but the time doesnt allow you to) Oh and health does not refill until you eat a slice of pizza that you find every god knows when and where. It requires a lot of concentration!

22 hours ago, Rebourne07 said:

Metal Gear Solid 4 right now. I want to do it, but I know it will be difficult so I keep putting it off.

22 hours ago, jh7459 said:

I'm currently seriously considering the idea of making Red Dead Redemption 2 my 200th plat.  I've been staring at that imposing beast for like two years but I think I'm ready to get it done.

Also, go for it with Dragon's Dogma.  It's not so bad if you check a guide for the side quests.  I really enjoyed that one and kept playing it way after I got the plat.

You two better plat those great games, I'll be waiting!!! 

On 1/4/2021 at 7:35 PM, Weskerfan75 said:

Fighting Games. This genre is my weak spot. Pretty much any fighting game that has missions or combo challenges is gonna be a pain in the ass for me.

Same here, except Naruto's game but just bc I love Naruto hahaha 

And talking about COD games, I tend to plat them alone (except forced coop specs) and I'm really proud of myself for getting MW2 and MW3 plats solo! and yep, Black ops is serious work but also super enjoyable :D

@Puppeter04 Optinoob has an excellent mini guide on this site that will help with Dragon's Dogma that allowed me to platinum in only 2 playthroughs. It isn't a full guide but it will give you a huge leg up on new game save on hard difficulty, then combine it with a guide for missions so you don't miss any. 

@Rebourne07 MGS4 was definitely tough but with a good video guide that has commentary on why they are doing what they are doing it is doable. (I used one off the old .org site that was phenomenal, don't think it is posted here unfortunately.) The act 3 bike chase was the hardest thing for me - I think I used the solar gun for that section. Sunlight!

As for me, I dreaded the Arkham trilogy. The combat challenges are... difficult to say the least. Sadly I don't think I will platinum any of them let alone 100% because of the challenges it's my new Dunwall City Trials. But I wanted to be Batman so I finally started them. 

Tales of vesperia, there is a lot of missables and I was always scared of missing something... and then I did. It was also so minor, basically I forgot to fight one random battle soldier enemy in this dungeon near the start of the game, and that enemy does not spawn once you clear it so I missed that entry in the monster book. At least it was at the start so I could easily get it on a second playthrough, but having to sit with the missables checklist playing this game was anxiety provoking. I suceeded in the end with the plat though. 

Currently it's Persona 4 golden which I have sitting in my draw for like 5 years and plan to go and plat it this year if possible. The hard core Risette Trophy is the one that looks easy to screw up to the point that there's a guide about it on gamefaqs... 

Yakuza 0 for me, before starting the game I saw the comments about Mahjong and how tedious it is to get 100% completion but turns out Mahjong was easier than I thought, and kinda fell in love with the franchise with 0. Now I'm going for back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back Yakuza platinum (5 games in a row.. Yeah, I'm a maniac lol).

• Like 1

I am in the process of trying to conquer Pure Pool. I am doing the quite monumental grind to maximum level, which will take more than 100 hours in itself, not even knowing if I have the skill and luck to make it though the Master carreer. Thinking about that makes me as nervous as gaming could make me. But to be honest I prefer to reserve those feelings for things that actually matter. (With a completion level of just 50% it does not really maytter anyway.)

Not really, that effect is largely negated since I don't look at trophy lists before starting a game. The closest I could get is Dark Souls, I got absolutely destroyed in the opening areas and I guess I accepted there's no way I'd platinum it, which I'm fine with. I mean I don't have to platinum every single game and I know sometimes I'll fail for any number of reasons which I'm also totally okay with. 

Luckily, after a few more hours of punishment, the game just clicked for me at the Gargoyle fight atop the church roof. Legitimately can't recall a time where I've improved and shifted mindsets playing something so quickly, it was almost instant. Not only did I platinum it but it became one of my favourite games of all time, Dark Souls III takes top spot. But for real, the entire first few hours I felt like I'd be lucky just to see the end of the game. I guess that day, I taught myself a lesson in what some perseverance can achieve. 

• Like 1

For me it was Dead Space 2. I practised so much for the hardcore run. I really wanted to get the platinum. It was all I was thinking about for a few days and the day before I am about to start my run I realise that I can use a power node glitch to make it significantly easier. Just like that almost all nervousness disappeared. 

• Like 1