We need to stop giving 2K Sports our money.

SonicMTD

Ha ha, 2k Sports and this game, which holds your definition of the most toxic fanbase ever, puts out product that caters to them and you are trying to warn people away from it. I don't think you'll reach that crowd and 2K knows it.

Thank you for subjecting yourself to all that for this video for all of us. I haven't liked a sports game since NBA Jam (and it wasn't because it's great sports play) so I wasn't in danger of possibly playing this one, but it sure was entertaining to see your take on it. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I don't think you'll reach that crowd and 2K knows it.

Thank you for subjecting yourself to all that for this video for all of us. I haven't liked a sports game since NBA Jam (and it wasn't because it's great sports play) so I wasn't in danger of possibly playing this one, but it sure was entertaining to see your take on it. 

@DaivRules Oh, I knew I wouldn't affect the diehard fan base. This is more for the people who might be caught unaware. There are people actively spending money on predatory micro transactions and not realize until it's too late. If I can dissuade at least 1 person from making that mistake, then the video was worth it.

It'll most likely be the last time I play a basketball video game for quite a while.

8 minutes ago, totallycrushed said:

Like it’ll stop, they got GTAO fuck-off money anyways and I believe EGS money too. It’s a powerhouse that can’t be taken down even a step.

@totallycrushed That's a valid point. I also mentioned that in the ending summary. That being said I'm done with the franchise. I wash my hands of it. I'm out.

7 minutes ago, kidson2004 said:

Giving away any NBA 2K game is a waste of a spot for a game that should've went to a better choice of game.

@kidson2004 I've been finding a lot of Playstation Plus games they give away to be incredibly disappointing. You might get an obscure title like Vampyr but for the most part it's really just mediocre.

1 minute ago, Eraezr said:

Some of these hoes will reee at CDPR than open wide for 2K's microtransaction chode.

@Eraezr The gaming community is just filled with hypocrisy. It's kinda tied to how we view criticism on something we like as a personal attack.

One of the things I've had to get used to as a reviewer/critic is the concept of "Killing your darlings.". I might like something but just because I like it doesn't mean I have to write a fluff piece. The goal is to find out what could be better in the hopes it can be improved upon.

6 minutes ago, Cobbsquatch said:

It's not "us" you have to worry about. It's the casuals who play the game for a few hours a week and don't join sites or socials or forums regarding NBA who give em the most money.

Fair. In your example I wouldn’t really have a way of reaching those people.

How do you get to someone who limits the channels of communication?

18 minutes ago, SonicMTD said:

Fair. In your example I wouldn’t really have a way of reaching those people.

How do you get to someone who limits the channels of communication?

Exactly :dunno: I genuinely believe most the money comes from them, cos they'll play that 1 sport game a year and spends hundreds on it a year. They don't care what it does to the "industry" cos they get their game yearly. There's no way of reaching em and explaining it to em, but I doubt they care. It's never gonna change.

6 minutes ago, Cobbsquatch said:

Exactly :dunno: I genuinely believe most the money comes from them, cos they'll play that 1 sport game a year and spends hundreds on it a year. They don't care what it does to the "industry" cos they get their game yearly. There's no way of reaching em and explaining it to em, but I doubt they care. It's never gonna change.

I honestly hope you're wrong. That one day people will stand up and say they won't accept it anymore. Then again I might just be too optimistic for my own good...

...and now I'm sad.

53 minutes ago, SonicMTD said:

I honestly hope you're wrong. That one day people will stand up and say they won't accept it anymore. Then again I might just be too optimistic for my own good...

...and now I'm sad.

It's all about getting your voice out there. Recently, #NFLDropEA and #FixMaddenFranchise were both trending topics in the U.S. so it's definitely possible to get your word out there. Even radio shows and such was covering it after it was trending to get the word out.

On the other hand, it was the 3rd best selling game last year and highest selling Madden to date. Not exactly the most encouraging news, but at the very least, people are now aware of it, and it definitely didn't do EA any favors in terms of image.

• Like 2

It is a drop in the bucket compared to what something like GTA V gets with shark cards.

People also don’t realize that micro-transactions are largely limited to one game mode, My Team, which is completely optional but admittedly pretty fun.  But you can still be easily competitive with a no-money spent team.

I haven’t watched your video yet but will.  If I remember, I enjoyed a video you did on Far Cry 5 (I liked that game too)!

Really interested to play this on PS5; I’ve heard good things.

2 hours ago, kidson2004 said:

Giving away any NBA 2K game is a waste of a spot for a game that should've went to a better choice of game.

Honestly, NBA 2K16 might be my favorite PS Plus offering of all time.  The series is really well done and extremely deep for a sports title.

I find most of the PS Plus titles to be lacking or just zero interest but NBA 2K you can sink hundreds of hours into and it still stays relatively fresh.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SonicMTD said:

...and now I'm sad.

The sad part is one you’re judging people for what they spend their money on and you’re acting like it’s the only game fortnite is far worse and think they can get away with it for being a free game, these people think these games are free to win cos they can’t get the best stuff in an hour, believe me as a Fifa player who grinds a team out year by year and most MT players can’t touch online ?

Edited by Dovahki1nn

Would say the same with EA and their Sports games, as they are bad as 2K Games (Take-Two Interactive) with their Sports games. All they do is focus on microtransactions filled modes like Ultimate Team, and neglecting the rest of the game just to stick on making that extra revenue on Ultimate Team Points. Madden and Fifa are the biggest ones that EA does crap on. Sports games are gambling nowadays. If you go on PS3 and play Madden 12, you will find plenty of features that are not there in Madden 21. It is shit that EA and 2K want to push Microtransaction sales. 

• Like 1

I can’t even lie: I miss the old PS+ format from years ago. Every WEEK it was a new game. I got SO MANY great games from that format. There’s more than enough PS4 games to at least think about that format. But like I said before: it was a bad idea to stop offering PS3/Vita games on plus. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

It's all about getting your voice out there. Recently, #NFLDropEA and #FixMaddenFranchise were both trending topics in the U.S. so it's definitely possible to get your word out there. Even radio shows and such was covering it after it was trending to get the word out.

Well fingers crossed enough people want more than the same old crap. A man can dream.

2 hours ago, darkrequiem7 said:

Way ahead of you. I haven't spent money on ANY sports games ever, unless you count Rocket League which I spent a few bucks on.

Granted that's just because I don't like sports games, not for any protest.

I primarily spend my money on single player titles. I like some storytelling which helps with the flow of my videos.

1 hour ago, djb5f said:

It is a drop in the bucket compared to what something like GTA V gets with shark cards.

People also don’t realize that micro-transactions are largely limited to one game mode, My Team, which is completely optional but admittedly pretty fun.  But you can still be easily competitive with a no-money spent team.

I haven’t watched your video yet but will.  If I remember, I enjoyed a video you did on Far Cry 5 (I liked that game too)!

Honestly, NBA 2K16 might be my favorite PS Plus offering of all time.  The series is really well done and extremely deep for a sports title.

I find most of the PS Plus titles to be lacking or just zero interest but NBA 2K you can sink hundreds of hours into and it still stays relatively fresh.

I played NBA 2K13 when I first started making video reviews. It was a very odd addition because Jay-Z was the executive producer. A lot of strange music choices but oddly compelling presentation kept me intrigued. It feels that right now 2K Games is just going to leech their players for as much money as they can until they get slapped across the wrist. Basically moving the goalposts and then barely moving them back when they get pushback.

EDIT: F**king shark cards man. I honestly dunno how people can play Rockstars online games. The grief-ing is too much. I do plan on making a RDR2 video... I dunno when I should.

1 hour ago, Dovahki1nn said:

The sad part is one you’re judging people for what they spend their money on and you’re acting like it’s the only game fortnite is far worse and think they can get away with it for being a free game, these people think these games are free to win cos they can’t get the best stuff in an hour, believe me as a Fifa player who grinds a team out year by year and most MT players can’t touch online 1f643.png

I'm not judging players at all. I'm criticizing a game company that is knowingly taking advantage of players. A company that has been steadily selling buggy games yet still charging full price for them.

If you took this as a personal attack on you, I'm sorry. You need to understand that when I'm critiquing something that you enjoy doesn't mean it's on you. Just that the entertainment you like needs to actually improve so that you can enjoy something that's well made and not predatory.

Now in regards to Fortnite; First of all this isn't a game of whataboutism. The obvious problems with Fortnite doesn't negate or lessen the obvious problems with the franchises made by 2K.

I didn't play Fortnite but if you want to check it out, Folding Ideas did a fantastic video on the predatory nature of Fortnite:

There's also Jim Sterling's coverage on the employee abuse of Crunch towards Epic Games staff.

But yeah in regards to your statement. 2K Games/Electronic Arts/Epic Games abuses the systems in place because those systems are self regulating. The ESRB is comprised of game companies who, since they regulate themselves don't have to play by the rules. These companies will continue to abuse the system until there is actual push back. As we speak these very same companies are being investigated by world governments who I hope will make an example out of their predatory behavior.

SO TLDR. My problem is with 2K games. Not you for enjoying it. Cheers.

Edited by SonicMTD
Grammar

58 minutes ago, mckbros said:

Would say the same with EA and their Sports games, as they are bad as 2K Games (Take-Two Interactive) with their Sports games. All they do is focus on microtransactions filled modes like Ultimate Team, and neglecting the rest of the game just to stick on making that extra revenue on Ultimate Team Points. Madden and Fifa are the biggest ones that EA does crap on. Sports games are gambling nowadays. If you go on PS3 and play Madden 12, you will find plenty of features that are not there in Madden 21. It is shit that EA and 2K want to push Microtransaction sales. 

It just is so odd how EA changed. I remember wanting to work for them after playing SSX3, Burnout 3: Takedown, NFS: Underground, Mass Effect 2...

What the f**k happened? EA is spending a lot of time focusing on massive multiplayer experiences because of the amount of money they can make compared to single player games. I remember hearing EA was blindsided when Jedi: Fallen Order sold like hotcakes compared to Battlefront.

I honestly hope they get hit with regulations for their use of lootboxes. After that I also want gaming developers to form a union so that they don't get abused by their companies anymore.

45 minutes ago, kidson2004 said:

I can’t even lie: I miss the old PS+ format from years ago. Every WEEK it was a new game. I got SO MANY great games from that format. There’s more than enough PS4 games to at least think about that format. But like I said before: it was a bad idea to stop offering PS3/Vita games on plus. 

I wasn't around to really get a feel for PS+ in the beginning. I bought my PS4 after it had already been out for 1.5-2 years. I remember being pissed (I still am pissed) at having to now pay for the ability to play online when it was free with the PS3 .

So I watched the video and come away impressed with your presentation style and ability to overlay other relevant content to enhance the video.

I think you have a mix of good points with some nitpicks mixed in but that is how it goes.  It is funny that you referenced Jim Sterling in a response because as I was watching I felt like you were wanting to come across as the next Jim Sterling.  Perhaps, a cynical approach and skewering reviews gets more video hits?  Like I said, I think you make good videos.  Just make sure you are true to yourself and not simply trying to be the next Jim Sterling.  My two cents, feel free to take it or leave it ?

23 minutes ago, NxtDoc said:

I wish morons would stop buying VC in 2K.  The funniest part of all these court cases against EA for Ultimate Team is that NBA 2K and GTA Online are quite possibly worse than Madden, FIFA, and NHL!  

Tbh I think they either don't know any better or they can't help themselves. Kids too young playing with their parents credit cards or those who have addictive personalities who are being preyed upon and can't stop.

The gaming industry needs government intervention. Game companies have proven multiple times that they cannot self regulate themselves. Game developers also need to unionize because of stories of abuse coming from CD Projekt Red, Ubisoft, Rockstar, EA etc.

20 minutes ago, djb5f said:

So I watched the video and come away impressed with your presentation style and ability to overlay other relevant content to enhance the video.

I think you have a mix of good points with some nitpicks mixed in but that is how it goes.  It is funny that you referenced Jim Sterling in a response because as I was watching I felt like you were wanting to come across as the next Jim Sterling.  Perhaps, a cynical approach and skewering reviews gets more video hits?  Like I said, I think you make good videos.  Just make sure you are true to yourself and not simply trying to be the next Jim Sterling.  My two cents, feel free to take it or leave it 1f601.png

Jim Sterling is a massive influence on my videos. When I started my first season I attempted to structure my videos based on "The Jimquisition". After some trial and error I discovered my own style but still occasionally nod to his influence. I'm not trying to bathe in cynicism, it's just those are the videos you've seen so far. (I highly recommend Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War, Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, and Katawa Shoujo if you want something that is more optimistic). :3

If you want to know who I currently watch when I've got writers block: Previously Recorded (Rich and Jack from Red Letter Media), Red Letter Media, Jim Sterling, Lindsay Ellis, Folding Ideas, Todd in the Shadows, Philosophy Tube.