Skillful Raider FYI

effdeegee

This was the most annoying challenge for me in Endurance Mode because I kept dying like a dumbass in crypts, especially due to what you mentioned in 3.

I often cleared an entire crypt while entering it, opened up the sarcophagus/codex, and when I was returning, new traps mysteriously spawned (most of them were collapsing floors). I also noticed that it took me way more time to find a crypt with this challenge selected, but that could've been me just so tired of playing the mode that anything felt more difficult than it was. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just got this Trophy a few days ago, it was a real pain, I didn't die or fail from traps in Crypts, I would die from stupid stuff like being attacked at the same time by 2 bears and a cougar, you just can't get away. But I did notice that it gets harder each time you restart, for people who still need to do it, just completely exit out each time you fail and the outside world is much easier. Have no clue why it does that. 

• 1 year later...
On 1/7/2021 at 3:18 PM, effdeegee said:

Just a little rant/buyer beware with regards to this trophy. When you have chosen the Skillful Raider challenge in the menu, you can expect:

1. The amount of traps per crypt triples (from 5+ to 15+) and they increase with every crypt the closer you get to 5 in a row. This compounds the dumb RNG and makes it even more glaring (eg. You might need to pause and take a break after crypt #2 or #3 being such an emotional marathon, but then crypt #4 is like 45 seconds long and has 4 traps in total).

2. Even if you completely destroy a trap, there is a chance that it'll still reset after a few minutes spent in the crypt.

3. There is a chance that new/different traps will spawn on your way out that weren't there on your way in. Uuuhhh... What. The. Poop.

4. Even though the trophy states "...without getting CAUGHT in a trap," collapsible rock floors will void the challenge if you trigger them with anything other than a projectile (eg. step on it and jump away, or jump over it but your foot still touches the last rock). Yet, beyond confusingly, you can trigger the swinging spike traps with your feet by dodging over it and rolling away and it will not void the challenge. :huh: 

5. If you have the skill to make traps glow red in hunter vision, sometimes collapsible rock floors glow an icy blue (making it hard to decipher from other lights shining on floor) and the sliding foot clamp traps do not glow at all. Paradoxically, using hunter vision actually makes them more difficult to see. :spank:

6. You will experience new crypt layouts that weren't in the main game, or previous hours spent in the endurance mode.

7. Even with a full belly and full food reserves, some crypts are so tedious/you'll be so cautious going in and out, that you'll still be in the yellow by the time you get back to the entrance, so make sure to stock up full before entering.

8. The overall difficulty of the forrest increases exponentially by day 2-3 (ie. nothing but bears/leopards, limited natural resources, low ammo drops, flamethrower/armoured/deathless enemies).

9. All of these apply even on the lowest difficulty setting.

10. None of these apply if you don't select the Skillful Raider challenge in the menu.

I had done about 40-50 crypts in a row without getting caught in a single trap but, since turning on this challenge, getting to 4 in a row is very rare. 10 attempts in (and still can't get 5 in a row) and I realized I had to write this post.

I hope this helps someone prepare for what's ahead or, at the very least, gives them someone to commiserate with when it happens to them, they're just as shocked as I was, and go looking on the internet for answers as to what the fuck is going on with this motherfucking cocksucking sumbitch ass bullshit slut of a random difficulty spike. :lol:

EDIT: Like with all internet gaming rants, as soon as I wrote this post, I went back to try again and several things were different. I've never seen traps glow so vibrantly before. How can my game function a certain way for 100hrs+, and then be completely different mere minutes after complaining to the internet?

When I have the skillful raider challenge accepted the environment gets really difficult after every successful crypt run. And I’m playing on the easiest difficulty (adventurer) Every time after the third or fourth crypt, I get overrun by bears and other big cats. Not to mention human enemies that come out of nowhere. Its only day three or four on average when I’m at this point. 

however, when you don’t select that challenge, the environment acts differently or normally according to the natural progression the game is supposed to be paced at.  I agree with your #10 above.

I mention this because I’m trying to combine this challenge with the The Great Haul (survive past ten days with ten relics) and it’s just making it too buggy. I need to separate these trophies into two separate runs, not combined. Anyone else notice this?

• Like 1